Vipes
"TRF" Member

Wow! Really stunning piece, congrats!
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 01:21 AM   #62
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Wear it, enjoy it and keep it. Everything else is irrelevant.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 01:28 AM   #63
mrpstl750
"TRF" Member

Get a 5970, I think the best PC, and call it a day.

There seem to be around.
mrpstl750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 01:36 AM   #64
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I think if you are a person that buy a watch and you almost never sell or flip then who cares buy the 5270P. But if you know the grey dealers by their first name then don’t buy it because you are gonna loss too much money. Go 5970P instead
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 03:51 AM   #65
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryjoeng View Post
Thanks. Really enjoy it on my wrist. More wrist shots.Attachment 1003569Attachment 1003570Attachment 1003571Attachment 1003572

Beautiful watch, congrats! Now, don’t second guess yourself, just enjoy
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 08:16 AM   #66
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
So Mark what happened to you? Did you not get it?? Did your dealer find another taker? Just curious :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 08:59 AM   #67
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

As I wrote some days ago, I did not take it. Went to the next person on the list.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 09:01 AM   #68
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Interestingly enough - I think the Salmon dial goes well with certain skin tone and not others. If you are buying to wear, I would strongly consider trying it on before buying. White and Black and blue dials then to go with many skin tones but not salmon...
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 11:55 AM   #69
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Henry congrats! Would love to see it in the flesh if you will let me buy you coffee?
Old 9 December 2018, 12:39 PM   #70
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712a,5170P,5980R,
Congrats!!! Looks AWESOME!
SimpleMan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 01:28 PM   #71
5Zigen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
Gorgeous, congrats!
5Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:42 PM   #72
Hafez
"TRF" Member

Henry congratulations May I ask you what’s the MSRP of the watch in the US out of curiosity to compare it with our Middle East prices?
Hafez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 07:59 PM   #73
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Fantastic acquisition, Henry!

Pantheon of salmon great this is, and IMO the best looking PCC ever!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 07:15 AM   #74
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Everyone keeps calling this Salmon dial... Patek officially calls it Golden Opaline.

I personally feel "Salmon" diminishes it's awesomeness in person as it has more depth than other salmon dials out there.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 12:40 AM   #75
le-temps
"TRF" Member

Watch: 004
Good decision. Congrats Henry.
le-temps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 12:31 PM   #76
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Grats! You should definitely meet up with Roger
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 04:17 AM   #77
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
If the 5960P is a reference, the next logical release will be a 5270A. Heads will explode.
What about the 5270J? Was I asleep at the wheel and miss it?
Rsdecker971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 04:20 AM   #78
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
I would much rather own a 5270P than a 5740. If you keep it, value won't be as much of an issue.
Hit the nail on the head!!! Absolutely!
Old 28 December 2018, 04:30 AM   #79
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
When I think perpetual the last thing I think of is a Nautilus. Patek knows that , unfortunately they also know that the dress watch demand is extremely low , so they have no choice that put all these kind of complications to sport watches. Looks odd but who cares that’s what selling and money talks

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 06:27 AM   #80
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
When I think perpetual the last thing I think of is a Nautilus. Patek knows that , unfortunately they also know that the dress watch demand is extremely low , so they have no choice that put all these kind of complications to sport watches. Looks odd but who cares that’s what selling and money talks

Xactly!
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 10:10 PM   #81
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!!!! She is a beauty!!!!
Old 16 May 2019, 03:39 PM   #82
T3F
"TRF" Member

I just got offered one of these from my AD (someone ordered one and passed). It wasn't really on my radar, but it is probably my favorite watch in their current collection and I probably won't get another chance to get one from an AD before it's likely discontinued in the next year. I hate to bring up value retention, but it is a concern to me on a watch this expensive -- there's a solid chance I want to move on at some point, and I'd prefer not to take a bath in the range of an Audi if I do.

My gut is that it will do OK because it's only down maybe 10% vs. sticker at the moment and should increase steadily once discontinued due to previous trends with platinum perpetual calendar chronographs (and the short production run, uncommon salmon dial, first of the series with an in-house movement). At the same time, the 5270 hasn't gotten the warmest embrace from the watch world and it hasn't done fabulously in other variants as far as value retention goes, so that's giving me a bit of pause. What do you all think?
Old 16 May 2019, 04:02 PM   #83
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Just received notification from my AD that my 5270p has arrived, a bit earlier than expected so might indicate demand is not that strong. But not fully convinced. And might be a watch that won’t hold value well, so selling after some months might be expensive. Should get a 5740 within 12 months and that is a definite go for me.

Thoughts on the 5270p?
you will certainly take a big hit upon resale unless you buy with a reasonable discount. a friend of mine bought a 5370P with discount and tax free. when he resold after a year the hit was still substantial.
so buy it only if sure you want to keep it, those are my 5 cents...
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:32 PM   #84
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
I just got offered one of these from my AD (someone ordered one and passed). It wasn't really on my radar, but it is probably my favorite watch in their current collection and I probably won't get another chance to get one from an AD before it's likely discontinued in the next year. I hate to bring up value retention, but it is a concern to me on a watch this expensive -- there's a solid chance I want to move on at some point, and I'd prefer not to take a bath in the range of an Audi if I do.

My gut is that it will do OK because it's only down maybe 10% vs. sticker at the moment and should increase steadily once discontinued due to previous trends with platinum perpetual calendar chronographs (and the short production run, uncommon salmon dial, first of the series with an in-house movement). At the same time, the 5270 hasn't gotten the warmest embrace from the watch world and it hasn't done fabulously in other variants as far as value retention goes, so that's giving me a bit of pause. What do you all think?
It is a beautiful piece and to be honest I don't think the 5270 range has done any worse than the 5970 pieces during their production cycle - once discontinued how a piece is perceived often changes. As to what the long term is for this piece, who knows - when will it be discontinued, who knows - will there be another version with black face, who knows. Buy it if you love it, expect to keep it and enjoy. If you need to sell it, expect to lose but be nicely surprised if you don't.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 07:12 PM   #85
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 08:19 PM   #86
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post

I think you have to consider it in % terms not dollar amounts, as at this level 10% is actually very good but the dollar amount of 20 or 30K obviously sounds bad, but if you can afford this piece than you have to be fair about the market it is in. A 30% drop and, just like with a 10K piece, it is reasonable to have concerns.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 11:28 PM   #87
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think you have to consider it in % terms not dollar amounts, as at this level 10% is actually very good but the dollar amount of 20 or 30K obviously sounds bad, but if you can afford this piece than you have to be fair about the market it is in. A 30% drop and, just like with a 10K piece, it is reasonable to have concerns.
Fair point, but I also think you should consider it in absolute terms; for example, while a 25% value drop usually isn't too bad, that's $45k at this price, and if I knew for certain I'd be taking that big of a hit, I wouldn't buy it. I think I'm probably going to pass on this one. I really like it, but again, it's not one I intended on buying, it kind of skips a few steps in my collection, and if I lost big on it, I'd feel pretty bad about it. At the same time, after looking at the 5970P's value graph, I do think it would do pretty well if I held for 10 years.

Still got a few hours left to make a decision and I'm welcoming all input!
Old 17 May 2019, 05:57 AM   #88
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I don’t think we can compare it with the 5970p which was produced in 180-200 pieces. I assume the 5270p will be a multiple of that, at least 1-2 watches per AD, and that should have long term repercussions on resale value. From a value play, I would prefer a used 5270G at around 100k. That looks like decent value to me.

You can also take the risk to see if it is discontinued next year, and if so, try to get it. If it isn’t discontinued, then the long term value retention might be questionable.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 06:10 AM   #89
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
I don’t think we can compare it with the 5970p which was produced in 180-200 pieces. I assume the 5270p will be a multiple of that, at least 1-2 watches per AD, and that should have long term repercussions on resale value. From a value play, I would prefer a used 5270G at around 100k. That looks like decent value to me.

You can also take the risk to see if it is discontinued next year, and if so, try to get it. If it isn’t discontinued, then the long term value retention might be questionable.
I never heard this figure. You must be mixing it up with 5070P. They made a lot more than 200 5970Ps. As for the 5270P, It is a beauty but expect to lose 30k easy if you buy at list.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 07:00 AM   #90
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I never heard this figure. You must be mixing it up with 5070P. They made a lot more than 200 5970Ps. As for the 5270P, It is a beauty but expect to lose 30k easy if you buy at list.
I have read that John Reardon had estimated around 2800 5970 pieces were produced during their the production run and around 500 5970P pieces were produced.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
patek 5270p