The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 June 2019, 11:43 PM   #1
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

Vintage Lord Elgin

I was told my grandfather bought this watch when he came back from WWII. Apparently this particular watch was fairly expensive back then when he bought it.

I can not find this watch anywhere on line (pics or sales). What I have been able to find by the serial number is that it it was manufactured somewhere between 1947 - 1950. It is a grade 626 (not sure what that means) and has 21 jewels. The crystal is not curved, but is cut into thirds at the top, middle, and bottom (if that makes sense).

My dilemma is that it stopped running and I would like to get it back working again. Is this movement something most watch repair shops can work on or do I need to take it somewhere special? Also, before I drop it off, I would like to know estimated value so I know what I am out if it gets lost / stolen.

I do like the vintage watches like these and this one is one of my favorites. I do have a Gruen that is very similar, but it is not 14K gold, only plated / filled and is not in as good of condition either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190602_084013 MOD.jpg (147.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 20190602_084424 MOD.jpg (164.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 20190602_084354 MOD.jpg (247.2 KB, 111 views)
Dawg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2019, 10:01 PM   #2
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

That's a beauty!!! I love the case, Wadsworth made some very ornate cases for Hamiltons, Benrus, Elgins and other manufacturers back in the day. I would send it to Mark at his shop in Kane PA, you'll pay $20.00 for shipping but he's really good with vintage watches. WWW.THE WATCHDORTOR.COM. I've lost count of how many vintage watches he's serviced for me. You have a fantastic heirloom there, get it serviced and enjoy a nice dress watch.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2019, 02:28 AM   #3
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
That's a beauty!!! I love the case, Wadsworth made some very ornate cases for Hamiltons, Benrus, Elgins and other manufacturers back in the day. I would send it to Mark at his shop in Kane PA, you'll pay $20.00 for shipping but he's really good with vintage watches. WWW.THE WATCHDORTOR.COM. I've lost count of how many vintage watches he's serviced for me. You have a fantastic heirloom there, get it serviced and enjoy a nice dress watch.
Perfect, thanks for the info. I just needed a good name for vintage Elgin watches.
Dawg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 10:51 AM   #4
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Nice

!
Old 29 June 2019, 06:03 AM   #5
wesdaniel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg2 View Post
I was told my grandfather bought this watch when he came back from WWII. Apparently this particular watch was fairly expensive back then when he bought it.

I can not find this watch anywhere on line (pics or sales). What I have been able to find by the serial number is that it it was manufactured somewhere between 1947 - 1950. It is a grade 626 (not sure what that means) and has 21 jewels. The crystal is not curved, but is cut into thirds at the top, middle, and bottom (if that makes sense).

My dilemma is that it stopped running and I would like to get it back working again. Is this movement something most watch repair shops can work on or do I need to take it somewhere special? Also, before I drop it off, I would like to know estimated value so I know what I am out if it gets lost / stolen.

I do like the vintage watches like these and this one is one of my favorites. I do have a Gruen that is very similar, but it is not 14K gold, only plated / filled and is not in as good of condition either.
There's a great group on Facebook for vintage Elgin watches - actually, it's called Vintage Elgin Wathces.

I have a 1950 Lord Elgin that my father got as a 25-year gift from Chevrolet. They were able to help me identify the model (Lord Elgin Henslee) and also even provided some advertising clips for the model when it was made.

It would be well worth checking out.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 11:51 AM   #6
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Amazing!

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote