The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2014, 01:54 PM   #61
JackDFD
"TRF" Member

No worries here.
JackDFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 09:06 PM   #62
bridgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I ride too and have on occasion worn my sub with no problems, however I have taken a few falls in my 25+ plus years of riding, once because of my own stupidity and the other due to another driver not watching. I only wear the g-shock when I ride now.
bridgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 12:41 AM   #63
bparone
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, DJII, Smstr
Never ever. Doesn't fit under my leathers and for my textile suit it's a tight fit and really uncomfortable, especially since I wear my watch on the right wrist and I blip when downshifting so the watch would be a major obstacle.
bparone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 01:25 AM   #64
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Wear it on my HD all the time and have worn it for a few moto-x races when I have forgot to take it off.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 01:55 AM   #65
nickm347
"TRF" Member

Another vote for no problems.

Recently returned from a 10k+ mile trip from KY to AK on a Thumper which vibrates a lot (BMW F650GS). I was on the Dalton, about 70 miles south of the Arctic ocean and had what should have been a bad accident, wrecking at about 60mph. I was bruised & scuffed, but ok. The bike was bruised & scuffed, but rideable.

The Polar Explorer 16570 took the 10,424 miles of vibration & the shock of a 60mph wreck with zero issues.

Wear it and don't worry about it.
nickm347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 04:39 AM   #66
sixtysix
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I ride an Aprilia Tuono, a 1000cc twin that runs at 11,000 plus RPM. It feels just like a jackhammer at full song.....anyway I wore my Rolex Explorer II for several days after I bought it and had a +0 in time keeping after 3 days. I don't think it matters...

Old 4 July 2014, 06:10 AM   #67
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leasky View Post

Well, I have been riding road bikes for over 30 years and came off for the first time last month. I escaped with only some damage to my right foot and ankle, a week in hospital and a couple of operations.

I have never worn a watch when I ride a bike and I am thankful that I wasn't wearing one last month.

The above images were taken by one of my friends just after the event. The bike has been declared a total insurance loss but luckily I shall repair. I am unsure how a Rolex (or any watch for that matter) may have held up during my off, summer salting and sliding along the road.

Thankfully I was wearing a BMW protection suit with spine protection and Daytona boots with inner rigid sleeves (which greatly reduced the damage to my foot and ankle).

I will not be riding again this year but even next year, I will not be wearing any of my watches when riding - it has nothing to do with effecting the internal workings of the watch; more to do with any potential damage caused by a crash.

Stay safe.
Sounds like you had a lucky one ? That happen in Scotland ? Seems like every weekend its another bike accident, then another, then another in the news ...... ! Glad your OK
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 06:31 AM   #68
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Obviously the second photo is Rushmore; was the first Crazy Horse? Sturgis Rally? It's been since '99 that I was there.
Both photos were taken during Sturgis Rallys. Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore. 11 years now - can't wait to go again this year.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 06:33 AM   #69
colpol
"TRF" Member

No problems whatsover. Safe riding all

colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 10:10 AM   #70
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Both photos were taken during Sturgis Rallys. Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore. 11 years now - can't wait to go again this year.
I'd love to go again; I was living in Tucson when I last went. Drove up US 25 through NM and CO. Only got to visit Crazy Horse which was pretty awesome.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 12:19 PM   #71
kam1
"TRF" Member

Watch: coupla subs & GMT
Quote:

Well, I have been riding road bikes for over 30 years and came off for the first time last month. I escaped with only some damage to my right foot and ankle, a week in hospital and a couple of operations.

I have never worn a watch when I ride a bike and I am thankful that I wasn't wearing one last month.

The above images were taken by one of my friends just after the event. The bike has been declared a total insurance loss but luckily I shall repair. I am unsure how a Rolex (or any watch for that matter) may have held up during my off, summer salting and sliding along the road.

Thankfully I was wearing a BMW protection suit with spine protection and Daytona boots with inner rigid sleeves (which greatly reduced the damage to my foot and ankle).

I will not be riding again this year but even next year, I will not be wearing any of my watches when riding - it has nothing to do with effecting the internal textileworkings of the watch; more to do with any potential damage caused by a crash.

Stay safe.

Dude, so sorry to hear that. Heal up soon! Sorry your GS is toast but you can drool over a new one and finance touratech (like I have) all over again. Seriously, glad you are alive. I read scans of guys not wearing protective gear all the time and it is not pretty.

In response to the OP. Can't wear a watch under my leathers, and sometimes do under the textile gear, but usually only if touring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 12:26 PM   #72
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Your rolex is your most expensive accessory on your bike. When you go down not if you go down. When you go down there will be a very good chance your watch will be toast.
Old 4 July 2014, 04:00 PM   #73
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I ride a Harley, and always have my sub or BLNR, no problem what so ever...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 04:37 PM   #74
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob09 View Post
Sorry to make this a first post, I'll introduce myself soon. Just another thing to think about, I've broken a scaphoid coming off one of my bikes wearing a watch. (not a Rolex, not that it matters) From the marks the watch left, I'm pretty convinced the watch was a contributing factor in breaking it. Cant guarantee it, but the watch chunked up my hand and arm pretty good too! To this day, riding is the only thing I never wear a watch doing.
This is interesting, Rob. I never worried about damage to my Rolex, figuring that in a crash damage any to my watch would be the least of my worries. But I never gave any thought that having a watch on my arm may cause additional damage to me.

Thanks for sharing another perspective.
Old 5 July 2014, 04:53 AM   #75
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Several late thoughts. When I dropped my old Sportster by over riding my lights and getting into the wrong position on a turn at too high a speed, I was wearing full gear. The thing I remember most was my full face helmet bouncing on the ground. There were some circumstances that set me up but it was my fault. There was a nickel sized area of road rash between my glove and my jacket on my right wrist. My right side was black and blue. The bike had about 5K damage. My watch at the time wasn't close to touched.

The thing the talk of accidents brings up for me is safety courses. I'm curious as to how many have taken the MSF ERC or other riding safety course? I know I have and it definitely opened my eyes to hazards and I'm certain has extended my life and riding safety and pleasure.

Old 5 July 2014, 06:12 AM   #76
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The thing the talk of accidents brings up for me is safety courses. I'm curious as to how many have taken the MSF ERC or other riding safety course? I know I have and it definitely opened my eyes to hazards and I'm certain has extended my life and riding safety and pleasure.
I've taken the MSF course. Actually I already had my motorcycle endorsement when I took it, so I was wasn't taking it to get out of passing the DMV riding skills test. My neighbor took up riding and I advised him to take one so when I signed up I joined him. I was the only one in the class who was already licensed to operate a motorcycle.

Lots of good stuff, especially about creating space and defensive awareness.
Old 5 July 2014, 06:15 AM   #77
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I've taken the MSF course. Actually I already had my motorcycle endorsement when I took it, so I was wasn't taking it to get out of passing the DMV riding skills test. My neighbor took up riding and I advised him to take one so when I signed up I joined him. I was the only one in the class who was already licensed to operate a motorcycle.

Lots of good stuff, especially about creating space and defensive awareness.
Me too, ERC (Experienced Rider's Course) when I took it required riding experience (strangely enough). I forgot that the basic course is for new riders.

Old 5 July 2014, 12:18 PM   #78
kam1
"TRF" Member

Watch: coupla subs & GMT
Took MSF way back when...before I had a bike and to get my license. Invaluable. Over the years have done multiple track schools, Keith Code and Freddie Spencer and while they are not street specific, they certainly teach you how to control a motorcycle, trust your tires etc. I've heard good things about the Reg Pridmore street course but never took it. Any add'l instruction is a good thing IMO. Nick Ienatsch was one of my instructors at FSS and really a great teacher. He wrote "the pace" which anyone who rides should read.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...nick_ienatsch/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 03:18 PM   #79
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Several late thoughts. When I dropped my old Sportster by over riding my lights and getting into the wrong position on a turn at too high a speed, I was wearing full gear. The thing I remember most was my full face helmet bouncing on the ground. There were some circumstances that set me up but it was my fault. There was a nickel sized area of road rash between my glove and my jacket on my right wrist. My right side was black and blue. The bike had about 5K damage. My watch at the time wasn't close to touched.

MSF is awesome - I took it a few years ago after I had been riding for a number of years in the grey so to speak. Great stuff, every rider should do it in my opinion.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 04:03 PM   #80
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam1 View Post
...I've heard good things about the Reg Pridmore street course but never took it...
Reg's CLASS school is excellent. I took it at Fontana Motor Speedway and thoroughly enjoyed the two days.

It's where I first really got it about what being "smooth" was. During the course he offered 2-lap rides on the back of his bike with him for a $20 donation to charity. Of course I did it. I understood intellectually what smooth meant but when he took me around that AMA course as a passenger on his bike I really FELT what it meant. If I didn't know better I would have sworn his bike had an automatic transmission. Braking, accelerating, downshifts and up shifts were unbelievably seamless and smooth. And he was passing everyone, including his instructors on faster equipment - with me on the back!

I remember thinking to myself "So this is how a World Champion rides." It was the single most valuable learning experience I've ever had on a motorcycle.
Old 5 July 2014, 07:53 PM   #81
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Your rolex is your most expensive accessory on your bike. When you go down not if you go down. When you go down there will be a very good chance your watch will be toast.
Anyone that rides will tell you this.... if I go down my watch is the very last thing I'm worried about... the watch and the bike all that is replaceable.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 08:27 PM   #82
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
I stole this photo from the internet...it's not mine
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 10:38 PM   #83
bridgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:

I have had the course and it was great.
bridgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 10:47 PM   #84
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
Anybody had any performance problems or service issues from the rattle of a bike?
My daily wearer over the last 43 years has been the GMT in my avatar, and it has accompanied me over 200k miles on various motorcycles, Harleys for most of that time. This mileage includes touring through 34 states in the U.S. and Canada over the past 19 years. No service problems to date and I never remove the watch to ride.

We do risk damage to the watch if in an accident, however, as evidenced by some here, but to date I've been in three bike accidents and one airplane crash with no harm done to the watch. Maybe it's my good-luck charm.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 11:18 PM   #85
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Rode just under 200000 miles with my submariner on...never a single issue.
Included some off road & unexpected get offs.

All riding on BMW GS's or Dakar 650 thumpers (8 different bikes)
Old 6 July 2014, 12:35 AM   #86
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclick View Post
My daily wearer over the last 43 years has been the GMT in my avatar, and it has accompanied me over 200k miles on various motorcycles, Harleys for most of that time. This mileage includes touring through 34 states in the U.S. and Canada over the past 19 years. No service problems to date and I never remove the watch to ride.

We do risk damage to the watch if in an accident, however, as evidenced by some here, but to date I've been in three bike accidents and one airplane crash with no harm done to the watch. Maybe it's my good-luck charm.
I would say so!
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2014, 01:17 AM   #87
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:

I will not be riding again this year but even next year, I will not be wearing any of my watches when riding - it has nothing to do with effecting the internal workings of the watch; more to do with any potential damage caused by a crash.

Stay safe.
Ouch. Reminds me of when I got pinned between a minivan and a construction barrier many years ago. Sliced through my Sidi boots and sliced up my ankle.

I ride with my watches... That's what insurance is for.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2014, 02:50 AM   #88
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Why baby your watch and ride without a helmet? Sorry makes no sense.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2014, 02:56 AM   #89
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBversive View Post
Why baby your watch and ride without a helmet? Sorry makes no sense.
Watch or no watch, riding w/o a brain bucket makes no sense. Yeah, I'm all for freedom of choice and all that but it still doesn't make any sense.
Old 6 July 2014, 03:32 AM   #90
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
30+ years and over 100,000 miles, many on a Harley and most with a Rolex.

Sold all but one bike (Road King) after my last accident - 82 year old pulled out of his driveway RIGHT in front of me.

I had my trusty old 16710 on at the time and it fared much better than I did!