The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 October 2016, 01:32 AM   #1
kevintage
"TRF" Member

Any other picky vintage buyers?

Greetings all.

A new poster, albeit a very long time lurker.
I am mainly associated between a few collectors around my city, and learn via the Mondani books, as well as the vintage rolex forum.

Any other fellow long time collectors that have always been extremely discipline and patient with collecting?
I am extremely delighted with the quality of an old watch. The dial has never been enough, I have always also loved to see a "full" case.
10 years ago, it used to be cheaper to have that attitude. We would have larger selections too.
Lately it seems that being picky simply is unaffordable.
Good cases command premiums like never before.

Still, I find it hard to settle for an average, unevenly polished, "honest" watch.
Any others that share this sentiment?
kevintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

There's a lot going on in vintage Rolex, the big dogs are attracting investor money which can and has elevated prices which in turn is affecting down market refs. Combine that with the social media effect on vintage collecting in general driving ever more interest in vintage Rolex specifically.

Top condition watches, whatever the ref are disappearing from the market with ever escalating prices. Two years ago I was buying top 16XX DJs with bracelets for under 1850US and that's very hard to do today. So where are the junk Rolex going? Many 1570 based watches are being cannibalized for parts, that's been going on for many years which in itself is contributing to a tighter market.

Someone posted an old, well used DJ for a price check recently. Toothpick lugs, a few corrosion spots on the gasket channel, folded link jubilee appropriately loose, worn bezel, unremarkable black matte dial with crumbling lume. It was so bad it's value was expressed in salvage, the sum of it's parts on the market.

But there it was, an uncared for old DJ that had been serviced only when it quit working every decade or so. Past the point of an expensive restoration but still an elegant old Rolex with a bracelet that had reached that point of wear that it feels like silk on your wrist, a case with a million scratches so no individual scratch shows and has achieved that matte gray appearance that very old watches have. Would you ever have to spend one minute worrying about hitting it on a door jamb? :)

The Rolex owners I admire most are the guys who bought one 30 years ago because someone told them it was waterproof or whatever and then lived their lives, had babies, moved, changed jobs, changed wives, fixed it when it broke, bitched about the cost but would never sell it, it had become as much a part of their lives as one of those kids.

That watch belonged to one of those guys or two and yes, I would be glad to own it, a service and some gaskets and get on with it. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 02:20 PM   #3
axl911
"TRF" Member

You're not the only one. But with my meager budget, I will have to settle for somewhere in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintage View Post
Greetings all.

A new poster, albeit a very long time lurker.
I am mainly associated between a few collectors around my city, and learn via the Mondani books, as well as the vintage rolex forum.

Any other fellow long time collectors that have always been extremely discipline and patient with collecting?
I am extremely delighted with the quality of an old watch. The dial has never been enough, I have always also loved to see a "full" case.
10 years ago, it used to be cheaper to have that attitude. We would have larger selections too.
Lately it seems that being picky simply is unaffordable.
Good cases command premiums like never before.

Still, I find it hard to settle for an average, unevenly polished, "honest" watch.
Any others that share this sentiment?
axl911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I think that all vintage collectors/buyers should be picky..
Old 14 October 2016, 04:00 PM   #5
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Crazy money for some pieces, made worse for me by the now weak GBP. I bought 3 vintage watches two years ago and thought I had maybe over paid ,but they all now look cheap
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 04:25 PM   #6
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Yes I'm very picky, and hindsight sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 09:44 PM   #7
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

I am definitely like that!!

I've been collecting vintage for just under two years, and I have, from the beginning always wanted excellent condition.

I really appreciate a very nice and thick case. I know that it is absurd since these are 35+ year old watches, and it IS unreasonable to expect to find unpolished cases, or extremely mint cases, unmolested crown guards, etc.

The fact is that they are out there. They're not as easy to find, and there are fewer in such conditions, but they are there.
I have almost always paid a slight premium for a good example of a basic reference. I have no intention to sell, so it never bothered me that I would lose money if I wanted to sell, but I can confidently say, that every watch I paid a premium for, seems like a bargain now. (In given condition).

Basic models (1680,1675,5513,1665,etc) in exceptional condition, are not cheap, not to mention not easy to come accross.
Paying for conditon pays off in my limited experience.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 10:07 PM   #8
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

The adage when I started collecting was "Condition only matters on the SECOND one you buy", meaning that for any given example, it sometimes feels like the priority is to get ONE into your collection, then to upgrade it when the time is right. I'm happy with the ones I bought, especially Universal Geneve. I'm no longer a player with UG, the prices are simply too far gone and I'll be liquidating many of the parts and projects I bought when they were affordable.
Old 15 October 2016, 01:04 AM   #9
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I am not that picky, but........
The last watch show I went to, I could not believe how many crappy examples were for sale.
It looked like anything interesting had been polished and scotch brited. They looked horrible. I would rather have it beat to hell.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 02:41 AM   #10
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

Icon11

i think everyone has their version of "picky". I crack up when I see threads where members are dissecting to the nth degree one aspect or another on a vintage watch that prior to the internet and the ability to zoom in to detail that could never be seen by the normal human eye - certainly not when these watches were made (unless you were a jeweler with a loupe).

I happen to be obsessed by beautiful dials... closely followed by unusual bracelets. I cringe when I see beautiful watches thrown on to bad leather or NATO straps worth $10.

But that's just me
dpa94114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 03:05 AM   #11
kevintage
"TRF" Member

I am pleased with the responses, and knowing that others also share the same sentiments.
Some of the collectors that ignited my passion in the early 2000s believe I am a madman to date. (I cannot blame them).

As mentioned above, there seem to be dozens and dozens of mediocre examples, and I have always been in the mindset to stand out with quality.
It is certainly not a specific reference that I speak of, but simply a certain quality.

Pleasant day to all.
kevintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2016, 04:49 AM   #12
timnik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
There's a lot going on in vintage Rolex, the big dogs are attracting investor money which can and has elevated prices which in turn is affecting down market refs. Combine that with the social media effect on vintage collecting in general driving ever more interest in vintage Rolex specifically.

Top condition watches, whatever the ref are disappearing from the market with ever escalating prices. Two years ago I was buying top 16XX DJs with bracelets for under 1850US and that's very hard to do today. So where are the junk Rolex going? Many 1570 based watches are being cannibalized for parts, that's been going on for many years which in itself is contributing to a tighter market.

Someone posted an old, well used DJ for a price check recently. Toothpick lugs, a few corrosion spots on the gasket channel, folded link jubilee appropriately loose, worn bezel, unremarkable black matte dial with crumbling lume. It was so bad it's value was expressed in salvage, the sum of it's parts on the market.

But there it was, an uncared for old DJ that had been serviced only when it quit working every decade or so. Past the point of an expensive restoration but still an elegant old Rolex with a bracelet that had reached that point of wear that it feels like silk on your wrist, a case with a million scratches so no individual scratch shows and has achieved that matte gray appearance that very old watches have. Would you ever have to spend one minute worrying about hitting it on a door jamb? :)

The Rolex owners I admire most are the guys who bought one 30 years ago because someone told them it was waterproof or whatever and then lived their lives, had babies, moved, changed jobs, changed wives, fixed it when it broke, bitched about the cost but would never sell it, it had become as much a part of their lives as one of those kids.

That watch belonged to one of those guys or two and yes, I would be glad to own it, a service and some gaskets and get on with it. :)
Good post!
timnik is offline   Reply With Quote