The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 May 2017, 07:40 PM   #1
pgp001
"TRF" Member

Can anyone help me identify this Tudor Oyster ?

Hello

I have just been reading on another website about Tudor watches not being issued before 1945, well I have (what I have always believed to be) a Tudor Oyster Tropical watch that was bought by my grandfather on 26/6/1933, I still have all the paperwork including the receipt, instruction sheet and guarantee from J.W. Bensons in London. I have owned this watch since I inherited it from my father in 2003.

On the front of the instruction sheet someone has written the six digit serial number from the back of the watch, but I am now having my doubts as to the paperwork actually belonging to this watch, I am wondering if my grandad had maybe purchased an earlier Tudor which came with this paper work in 1933, but this watch replaced it at a later date and another family member has mistakenly associated the wrong watch with it.

I have attached some photo’s of the watch etc, and would be interested to know your thoughts about it. The watch is not for sale and I am just interested in its history for myself.

Along with this watch I inherited another one made by Peerex, which to my eyes looks to be from the same period.

Again I have no idea how old the Peerex is. I do know grandad wore the Peerex every day and the Tudor was for special occasions.

My problem is anyone in the family who might have known the answers are no longer with us. Sorry for such a long post.

Many thanks
Phil Procter

Oyster-Dial.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oyster-Back.jpg (116.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Oyster-Instructions-Front.jpg (160.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Oyster-Receipt.jpg (117.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Oyster-Warranty-Front.jpg (150.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Oyster-Instructions-Back.jpg (189.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Oyster-Warranty-Back.jpg (189.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Peerex-Dial.jpg (100.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Peerex Back.jpg (109.7 KB, 63 views)
pgp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 08:54 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Tudor watches were certainly sold in the 1930s, I have some advertising from 1930s newpapers with advertising for them and Rolex side by side, which I can show you tomorrow when I get to my computer. However, the rose in shield logo on yours was not used till 1946 as far as I know. This is the year the Tudor company was officialy launched, but as mentioned, Rolex was offering Tudor watches in the 1930s. Yours I believe to be from 1946-47. It's a lovely watch. Also, the paperwork is for a silver watch and your Tudor is stainless steel.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote