The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 July 2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB58
First time poster. Rolex 6694

Hey All!

First off thanks very much for having me here. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been wanting to get in to the Rolex scene for quite some time and have done a bit of research. I think I have settled on a 6694 from the 60's or 70s for the following reasons

1. I am looking for something that can be dressed up or dressed down
2. I am looking for vintage
3. I want something that has withstood the test of time, and if it breaks there are parts easily accessible for repairs.
4. not looking to break the bank. I see them posted for around $1500 on here. I'm looking for something in the $1000-$1500 range. So for that I am willing to take a head only. Also keeping accurate time is more important than aesthetics. If I have to replace the dial or whatnot I will. This will likely also go on a Nato or aftermarket leather strap.

That said, is there anything I should look for at individual watches I find. Maybe problem areas or whatnot. Also do you have any other advice.

Thanks very much everybody. Look forward to hearing some responses.

Sorry for the Newb post.

AR
Arogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 02:46 PM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Well your right. If your budget is that low then a 6694 is your best bet. My first Rolex was a 6694 and I loved it. My best advice is to try and find one with a nice original dial. More than half of the 6694s you will find have repainted dials (every single one on eBay). Good luck.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 03:04 PM   #3
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

I think I speak for all of us here when I say, "Bravo!!" Great decision to go vintage and all you really need to know, it seems you know... Post pics of candidates here and get some of the experts here to evaluate anything prior to purchase... You will buy with confidence. Be patient!

As for your reference, its a 34 mm reference, which some consider small and if you've got even average build, you may find it to be too small. There are lots of datejust references which are a little bigger and can be had for a similar price (without bracelet).
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 01:01 AM   #4
Arogue
"TRF" Member

THanks for the answers everybody. Just coming up with some more questions.

Looking on eBay for prices of some replacement parts. Finding champagne dials that look original (t Swiss t) for $88 and crystals anywhere from $10-$40. Only thing is they all come from Asia. Fake parts or is this a truly "affordable" (gulp) Rolex?
Old 6 July 2017, 03:49 AM   #5
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

No real vintage Rolex collector considers a 6694 'small'. The size disease is mostly from new Rolex buyers who worry about that sort of thing. The 6694 is a classic and you will come to love its elegant simplicity.

Since you are new to vintage Rolex I would stay with known sellers of vintage and avoid ebay until you are much more aware of what can happen. Use the sales forum here and at the VRF and post WTBs (Want To Buy) for your watch. Contact the noted dealers and basically put in an order for what you want. You'll spend a bit more but you will get a nice watch.

There is no hurry, the correct watch is everything. Let the pros do their job and make your first Rolex perfect for you.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 04:10 AM   #6
The moose
Banned

I agree with everything posted! Great watch to choose! Will post some pic of mine 6694 for inspiration...
The moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 04:14 AM   #7
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Congrats and good choice!

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 04:20 AM   #8
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
"I think I have settled on a 6694 from the 60's or 70s for the following reasons"...

Why "settle" for a watch just because it says Rolex? Why not get a watch that you actually like? Have you looked at other vintage brands?
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 05:02 AM   #9
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
"I think I have settled on a 6694 from the 60's or 70s for the following reasons"...

Why "settle" for a watch just because it says Rolex? Why not get a watch that you actually like? Have you looked at other vintage brands?
Settled was a bad choice of words. What I meant was I've decided
Old 6 July 2017, 05:03 AM   #10
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
No real vintage Rolex collector considers a 6694 'small'. The size disease is mostly from new Rolex buyers who worry about that sort of thing. The 6694 is a classic and you will come to love its elegant simplicity.

Since you are new to vintage Rolex I would stay with known sellers of vintage and avoid ebay until you are much more aware of what can happen. Use the sales forum here and at the VRF and post WTBs (Want To Buy) for your watch. Contact the noted dealers and basically put in an order for what you want. You'll spend a bit more but you will get a nice watch.

There is no hurry, the correct watch is everything. Let the pros do their job and make your first Rolex perfect for you.
Thank you sir. I wouldn't buy the watch on eBay, just looking at parts and they seem very well priced. Just wanted to know what I was getting myself in to if I need to replace the crystal or dial
Old 6 July 2017, 06:05 AM   #11
The moose
Banned

Some inspiration:

The moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 07:40 AM   #12
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Spend that little bit extra to find one with a nice bracelet
Old 6 July 2017, 08:32 AM   #13
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Some inspiration:

Incredible!!!!
Old 9 July 2017, 07:31 AM   #14
Arogue
"TRF" Member

So gentlemen, another quick question. I have been looking around at these watches and see mannnnnny of hen on eBay. Lots of them with jacked up prices because they have flashy redials. The watches that seem more original all have decent prices but they're all from Asia. Sellers have thousands of positive feedback ratings and 99% or above. Are these reliable at all? Anybody out there do the same?
Old 11 January 2018, 10:57 PM   #15
mirrorman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster 30
I know what you mean about the Asian market. I purchased a TUDOR from a HK seller which I now know had been polished and I think the dial was "tinkered" with. Still a sweet watch that I enjoy wearing, and the price was a lot less than any other Date-Day 38mm Jumbo I've seen.

I just just jumped into the fire again and purchased my first Rolex from a Japanese seller I've had dealings with before on some Omega's. l'll have to see what I get with this time.

Good luck with your hunt.
mirrorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 01:20 AM   #16
mineral
"TRF" Member

6694 is my favourite reference too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk