The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
DJ41 Dilemma

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all well (for those of you who are enjoying your newly acquired SS SD's, I envy you all!!!)

Guys I need some advice. I have decided to get my datejust 41. BUT the only niggling issue in the back of my head is my line of work. I am general manager in food retail and as such I am required to "get my hands dirty" for atleast a few hours a day. Currently I have a breitling which to me is pretty much bullet proof and can withstand most likely a nuclear bomb!

My only issue is that I will be buying my first Rolex to wear it as a sense of achievement and success, not something I want to flip or wrap up in cotton wool.

I just wanted some experienced advice from you guys as to whether the DJ41 will hold up as a watch I can wear to work for like 3/5 days a week. I don't want to ruin it a months in but nor do I want to lock it up and never wear it. (I wear long sleeves but sometimes roll them up due to getting stuck in).

I do like the GMT (as a back up option if I could ever get hold of one!!!)but have wanted the DJ41 since I saw it last year and most recently on my wrist in the AD. And as everyone says here, buy what you love with you heart.

I hope you guys can be of some help :-)
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 11:12 PM   #2
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
All the best for your incoming,,,
wear it regardless,,,,they are pretty tough and can handle it,,,,
get ready for the pcls although they are holding up well on my dj2,,,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 11:30 PM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Go for the fluted on jubilee as that will mask most scratches, but if it is to be a working watch then it will take some knocks, but that's as it should be, it is a Rolex after all, so don't sweat it, buy and enjoy it!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 11:50 PM   #4
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Hi guys. Sorry Jay I should have mentioned, I am looking to get blue dial fluted and jubilee. AD also told me jubilee hides scuffs and scratches better. I've heard about the dreaded PCL's, I'm so glad they went back to original roots and give it the jubilee option.
Old 16 July 2017, 11:57 PM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
Hi guys. Sorry Jay I should have mentioned, I am looking to get blue dial fluted and jubilee. AD also told me jubilee hides scuffs and scratches better. I've heard about the dreaded PCL's, I'm so glad they went back to original roots and give it the jubilee option.
TBH while no one likes PCLs if you have time to look at your bracelet when you have that great sunbursting blue dial and sparkling fluted bezel to catch your eye, then you're doing something wrong.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 12:11 AM   #6
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Haha I will agree to that! That dial just looks so beautiful, it just changes shade and colour any angle you look at it. My only wish is that before I buy it they release a Roman numerals one!!! Probably won't by Jan. But no worries. I'm so excited to get it. Lol
Old 17 July 2017, 12:18 AM   #7
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

I own a DJ41 and worked as a server and bartender in years past. I hope this helps:

Honestly, the DJ is a high polish watch and it scuffs easily. You're probably going to scuff it up pretty quickly. Personally, I wouldn't wear it in an evironment like that. :(

I had a Luminox in titanium with a brushed finish that I wore for the restaurant. I recommend something similar.

Maybe a Submariner or Explorer? If you want dressier, the Oyster Perpetual is still a great look. I happen to love the 39 in rhodium or blue.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Stargazer735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 12:41 AM   #8
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

I get where you're coming from, I'm not really one for the sports models over the DJ41 if I had a choice. I know it's one of those things where until the first ding/scratch comes you're weary but once it finally arrives you just wear it without fear! For the days at work where I know I'll be going full tilt I'll have my breitling. Which is also a very high polished watch. And it also stands up very well with work. It took 8 years for that watch to get severely dull. It it just came back from service in Jan this year and it still sparkles.
Old 17 July 2017, 12:46 AM   #9
homerish
"TRF" Member

Mine got scratches after less than a week so get the jubilee;)
homerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 12:59 AM   #10
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
A stainless steel DJ, classic or 41, is as durable as you will want.