The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Glpstandard
"TRF" Member

Sell Expy ii and Speedy Pro for a Submariner?

I currently own 4 watches. A P series Explorer II, a Speedmaster Professional (also circa 2000), a Bulova and a Citizen (every day work watch). Lately within the last 6 months or so, I've lusted for a Submariner. Not 100% sure why but I have the urge to make one my next watch. The problem is, I'm not made of money and not in a place financially to buy one (we have other priorities in life right now). Maybe one day in 5 or 6 years it will be different and I could add one to the stable, but for now it's out of the realm of possibility unless.. I sell the Expy and Speedy.

Like I said, the citizen is my daily work watch and I have kind of an attachment to it because it was a basic training graduation present from my wife. I find I wear the Rolex when I travel on vacation, go out, etc. It's sort of become my non work daily wearer. I dont wear the Bulova anymore (it's too big and gawdy for my taste) and I wear the speedy maybe once a month just because I don't want it to get scratched up at work and when I am out I typically prefer the Expy.

With all that out of the way, what would you Do? Keep the Expy and speedy and add a sub to the stable when life allows for it knowing it might be a few years atleast, or sell the speedy and Expy which you hardly wear and get the Submariner? I love my speedy because of the history behind it. The fact I don't wear it isn't for lack of interest in it and the Expy was my first really nice watch and was sort of a present to myself. I think I would honestly regret selling either but the desire to get a sub is clouding my judgement.

Thoughts?
Glpstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 01:10 PM   #2
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I would sell them for the sub. But the ExpII is one of my least favorite and I love divers, so I'm heavily biased.
morimotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 01:15 PM   #3
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I would keep the Explorer II, Speedmaster,, and add a nice 5 digit Sub. Then you have a GMT, chronograph, and a diver. Some day complete the collection with dress watch. Nice rounded collection.
Old 15 July 2017, 01:18 PM   #4
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
I love the Explorer series and speedy! I would hold on to them unless you find that you don't wear them enough!

Old 15 July 2017, 01:25 PM   #5
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
I would keep the exp II and speedy they are busy in a collection and then add a sub later.
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 01:31 PM   #6
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Life's short. Get and enjoy what you really want. Collection is overrated especially if you're not wearing the watches in it. Sell, sell, sell
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Chocodove
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
Life's short. Get and enjoy what you really want. Collection is overrated especially if you're not wearing the watches in it. Sell, sell, sell
This is very sound advice
Chocodove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 01:35 PM   #8
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
I personally wouldn't, and I love subs. Simply adding a sub to your collection would give you an awesome trio of cave, sea and space exploration!
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:52 AM   #9
teb1013
"TRF" Member

Well, the Explorer II is my current (intermediate) grail so I'm not one to ask. I can't imagine trading a Moonwatch and Exp II for a sub, but that's just me. I'd be tempted to trade the Exp for a BLNR, but I really value that GMT complication. If the complications of the Exp and Moonwatch are of no use to you (even for the neatness of the lunar connection) and you will use the Sub underwater, I might feel different, but would still prefer a nice collection to a single watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
teb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:54 AM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Keep and add.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:57 AM   #11
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I'm a huge Speedmaster fan. But having said that your Speedy is not particularly rare or collectible. You can always pick up another if/when the time is right. They are plentiful and prices for the basic Speedmaster continue to fall.

It really comes down to whether you prefer the the Explorer or Submariner. While I do like the GMT function on the Explorer, the Sub is a special watch to me. I too have been bitten recently by the Sub bug. I think a nice Sub would make an awesome everyday watch.
Old 17 July 2017, 04:21 AM   #12
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would not buy a Submariner if I were you. Already you are afraid to use your Speedy in fear of scratches. Most probably the Submariner will have the same fate or even more ocd. What's the use of having and not wearing ?
Old 17 July 2017, 04:24 AM   #13
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Sell everything & buy the Sub, Lifetime watch in one hit .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:26 AM   #14
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

OP, I'd not have a problem letting go of those pieces. Perhaps consider either a GMT or a 42mm Exp II instead of the sub.
Old 17 July 2017, 04:27 AM   #15
Wools
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
Completely agree!

Not a fan of collections myself, prefer to own one watch and then wear it. The Explorer II and Speedmaster are great watches but the Submariner is, for me, the watch to end all watches. If you feel you have moved on from your collection then feel free to sell them and get something that interests you now.

Only thing to think of; You brought your watches for a reason, will you miss them? If you will, then don't sell.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:29 AM   #16
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I think you'll regret selling the Exp II. It's less common than the Sub... I own both, and my Exp II is my go to daily wearer.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 04:29 AM   #17
116500LN
Banned

Keep the Speedy, sell the EXP2, and save a little more for a Sub.
116500LN is offline   Reply With Quote