The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2017, 12:25 AM   #1
SubSensei
Banned

BLNR - D-Blue - Daytona C - Hulk

I believe these models are sought after by younger Rolex owner solely for the fact that they believe they are popular. In fact I know quite a few people who have the BLNR or the Daytona C, etc and they say they really don't like them that much but that they just wanted what was popular or what others could not have.

Its seems one should get what they like and not just for the illusion of popularity. It is amazing how people jump on the bandwagon of popularity because Rolex says "Sorry you cant have one"...

I believe the future of flipping will reveal a lot.
SubSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:29 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I'm 50 and own the DBlue. I did flip the blnr though
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:29 AM   #3
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
You know young people who own BLNR and DaytonaC and they tell you they actually don't like the watch??!! Hmm!
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:36 AM   #4
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
I am older than 60 and love the BLNR.
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:38 AM   #5
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
You know quite a few people????

There's not that many out there anyway but you know quite a few and they don't like them. You must know a lot of people.

I own 3 of them and I like them all :-)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:39 AM   #6
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Strange post.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:47 AM   #7
JSolano305
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060/116710BLNR
35 soon and love my BLNR. Such a stunning beautiful watch.
JSolano305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:51 AM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolano305 View Post
35 soon and love my BLNR. Such a stunning beautiful watch.
I'm 37 and had mine for 2 and a half years. Love mine too.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:07 AM   #9
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I dunno, I wear a Shaq and that is hated amount the AP community. Pretty much every Rolex is mainstream I figure.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:08 AM   #10
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSensei View Post
I believe these models are sought after by younger Rolex owner solely for the fact that they believe they are popular. In fact I know quite a few people who have the BLNR or the Daytona C, etc and they say they really don't like them that much but that they just wanted what was popular or what others could not have.

Its seems one should get what they like and not just for the illusion of popularity. It is amazing how people jump on the bandwagon of popularity because Rolex says "Sorry you cant have one"...

I believe the future of flipping will reveal a lot.
Without evidence for what is, as it stands, a baseless assertion, this post doesn't mean much to me or I would imagine most others who read it.

It reads to me like the stereotypical bashing of younger generations that people have indulged in since time immemorial.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:15 AM   #11
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Very strange thread. Sounds like fiction to me lol.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:24 AM   #12
tufty
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II, Exp II
I have the BLNR, not worn yet, saving it for my christmas pressy to my self, I have the Hulk, worn once and thats for my Birthday in a couple of weeks. The BB Bronze I have worn a couple of times at the weekends, the Exp polar is what I normally wear after work during the week, DJ11 blue stick, my Dress watch for dinners out, I'm 44, will be adding the daytona when i get the call,and/ or D blue, Ss Skydweller if it feels right.
Dont intend on selling any of them.
tufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:30 AM   #13
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
I think SubSensei has a point ...he's just worded it differently. There are always new buyers coming to Rolex. Not necessarily 'young,' but rather new buyers who are at different ages. Some to mark a promotion, a birth, building a house (me), etc. All these are people who can afford a Rolex, and a trigger point occurs that results in new ownership.

These buyers will often go and buy a watch that speaks to them ...the timepiece that calls out to them. They don't care as much about 'heritage' or such, thus the beautiful symmetry and pure simplicity of a Submariner, to use it as an example, will not be as alluring as, say, a Submariner Date! Or the legacy of the Pepsi GMT Master. Or the lineage of the white face Milgauss.

For these buyers, they will often opt for the Sub Date over the Sub, they will often go for the Milgauss Z-Blue over the white faced version, and many of them will stay away from the Explorer II because it simply doesn't scream Rolex. These buyers want their first Rolex to be special to them, and to some extent noticeable.

Which brings me to the Hulk, the BLNR and similar references.

They stand out as Rolexes, and also stand out period. So much so, that in many ways they have become modern classics. More popular today than the Pepsi GMT was when it first came out.

So, it is not about 'young' buyers but rather 'new' buyers.

It is also not about 'popularity' but rather about what 'speaks' to them, and models like the Hulk and BLNR have a siren's song.

Ironically, talking about popularity ...if a new buyer visits a Rolex forum and asks what his first Rolex should be, guess the advice that most will give? There will be a few souls that will tell the person to buy what speaks to him, but the vast majority of people in the forum will probably say Submariner.

Anyway, with Rolex selling over a million watches a year, there are a lot of new buyers coming in that don't hold historical/legacy references in the same esteemed regard that many WIS do. I'd also estimate that there are more non-WIS enthusiasts than WIS enthusiasts, and that they may outnumber the WIS significantly.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:39 AM   #14
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
I think SubSensei has a point ...he's just worded it differently. There are always new buyers coming to Rolex. Not necessarily 'young,' but rather new buyers who are at different ages. Some to mark a promotion, a birth, building a house (me), etc. All these are people who can afford a Rolex, and a trigger point occurs that results in new ownership.

These buyers will often go and buy a watch that speaks to them ...the timepiece that calls out to them. They don't care as much about 'heritage' or such, thus the beautiful symmetry and pure simplicity of a Submariner, to use it as an example, will not be as alluring as, say, a Submariner Date! Or the legacy of the Pepsi GMT Master. Or the lineage of the white face Milgauss.

For these buyers, they will often opt for the Sub Date over the Sub, they will often go for the Milgauss Z-Blue over the white faced version, and many of them will stay away from the Explorer II because it simply doesn't scream Rolex. These buyers want their first Rolex to be special to them, and to some extent noticeable.

Which brings me to the Hulk, the BLNR and similar references.

They stand out as Rolexes, and also stand out period. So much so, that in many ways they have become modern classics. More popular today than the Pepsi GMT was when it first came out.

So, it is not about 'young' buyers but rather 'new' buyers.

It is also not about 'popularity' but rather about what 'speaks' to them, and models like the Hulk and BLNR have a siren's song.

Ironically, talking about popularity ...if a new buyer visits a Rolex forum and asks what his first Rolex should be, guess the advice that most will give? There will be a few souls that will tell the person to buy what speaks to him, but the vast majority of people in the forum will probably say Submariner.

Anyway, with Rolex selling over a million watches a year, there are a lot of new buyers coming in that don't hold historical/legacy references in the same esteemed regard that many WIS do. I'd also estimate that there are more non-WIS enthusiasts than WIS enthusiasts, and that they may outnumber the WIS significantly.
Much of what you've written is reasonable and articulated very well. But it's really nothing like what the OP actually said!
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:42 AM   #15
Omega2000
"TRF" Member

I'm 32, had my BLNR 10 months now and still love it. Still look down each day and appreciate how great it is. Plus my particular example loses less than 2 seconds per week. Simply amazing.
Omega2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:12 AM   #16
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Much of what you've written is reasonable and articulated very well. But it's really nothing like what the OP actually said!
I know. :)

I was trying to be polite. 😄
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:22 AM   #17
ericmli825
"TRF" Member

There's no way they are the representatives. I'm 25 and I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericmli825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:23 AM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Id saythat's the best quartet to own in ss
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:25 AM   #19
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Interesting. I think we'd all be lying if you said you were impervious to hype (unless you're Padi - who I actually believe is completely impervious to hype lol).

I don't think it has anything to do with age though. The level of impact hype has on you is based on your personality.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:30 AM   #20
JSolano305
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060/116710BLNR
My first Rolex was 114060. Then BLNR. BLNR gets the most wrist time. The 114060 doesn't seem to sing to me anymore. I'm looking to trade 114060 for the new DJ41 fluted blue stick dial on jubilee. Tried it on and totally sang to me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JSolano305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:31 AM   #21
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I think there are a lot of people who get caught up in the hype on social media, etc. They aren't WISs, or true watch lovers, but they want the "cool" thing. They go get a Daytona or a BLNR and then they feel cool like all the other cool kids on IG or whatever.

But here in the Rolex community you will not find such people. If we buy a Daytona, Hulk or BLNR it's because we love it for its artistry, heritage, design, build quality, etc etc.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:47 AM   #22
BadBoyR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubsGMTsSDsYM2DJ41
For me, more than one professional model was a no no for many years. Now I appreciate the subtle differences between each model.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
BadBoyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:57 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I think there are a lot of people who get caught up in the hype on social media, etc. They aren't WISs, or true watch lovers, but they want the "cool" thing. They go get a Daytona or a BLNR and then they feel cool like all the other cool kids on IG or whatever.

But here in the Rolex community you will not find such people. If we buy a Daytona, Hulk or BLNR it's because we love it for its artistry, heritage, design, build quality, etc etc.
In a way this might be a good thing. I don't know what happens on social media, outside of this forum, and so I am a bit puzzled at why Rolexes are quite so hyped and so over-demanded in recent times, as I thought the iphone and iwatch were supposed to be making Rolexes less important and desirable to the igeneration.

So, if social media is still keeping Rolexes and luxury watches relevant, then maybe the future is not so dire for the industry, even if motives for ownership shift slightly more over into the superficial, but then that was always a large draw of the Veblen good.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 03:07 AM   #24
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I think I know what the OP is trying to say. These are the go-to watches for the young professionals who want to spend their cash. They want the Rolex, a BMW, cool apartment. I get it.

And YES these are the watches they will gravitate towards because they want the notoriety of wearing a status symbol. I understand and yes that is true.

And YES they will flip them when their tastes change and the next young generation will come in and buy whatever is "cool"

A watch enthusiast will definitely buy these too, they are darn good pieces.
mobster600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 05:41 PM   #25
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I have been fortunate enough to own all of these. The reason was I liked them and nothing to do with how popular or hard they were to source. I had to make a choice between the Dblue and DaytonaC and ended up letting the Daytona go.
I'm too old to be jumping on bandwagons.
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 10:17 PM   #26
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I'm in my 40s, own a few of the watches you've mentioned and have never flipped. I also don't know anyone else personally who owns any of the watches you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 11:04 PM   #27
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
love the blnr. I'm about to flip it because i only wear my 5164
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 11:12 PM   #28
amirdoust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I have had my BLNR for 3 months now and love it more every day :)
amirdoust is offline   Reply With Quote