The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2017, 11:35 AM   #61
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Here's how I look at it.

I'm maxing out my retirement. I'm contributing to my kids' 529 accounts.

I enjoy watches. My kids know I enjoy watches.

I got a good deal on my SubC and Speedy.

I don't trust the stock market right now.

I have the disposable cash.

I wear the watches and enjoy every minute of it. If I do decide to sell them, since I got a good deal on them, I lose a little.

If I don't sell them and pass them on to my kids, even better.

Could I make more money investing in actual stocks? Perhaps. But value, for me, accrues through the memories made wearing the watches.

Buy within your means, buy well and enjoy them.
I love this
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:02 PM   #62
Romeojk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
A Rolex is Not an Investment

The YM is beautiful. Plus you've had it before and have regrets.

If I were in your shoes I would right the wrong, buy the YM and not give it another thought. carpe diem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:29 PM   #63
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I would only buy a Rolex I liked and looked forward to wearing. If I were thinking I might flip even before buying it, I'd invest that same money in financial instruments, not a watch.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:34 PM   #64
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
A watch is a luxury item. If you can afford such an item, then the question of whether one or the other item is an investment should never be entered into. Buy what you enjoy. I am not a wealthy person, but I do have my priorities in life. This watch hobby is one of them. I have never, nor will I ever, seek advice on which watch is the best investment.

I have purchased a couple of watches that I knew beforehand would not retain value. One such watch I sold, and got 50%. But I'm not sitting around feeling sorry for myself. I enjoyed getting watch, wearing it while I had it, and when it got no wrist time I sold it and moved on. It's only money, no lives were lost, and I put the money toward another watch. And I had to sell one other watch as well to get that one.

That's life. If you can't afford a hobby like this, have buyer's remorse, or need to question resale value or investment, then this is not the hobby for you, and you are obviously not enjoying it.

Have fun, remember it's only money, and buy what you like.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 23 July 2017, 12:40 PM   #65
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Not a bad way to park some excess cash, AND you get to wear them:-)
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:35 PM   #66
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I know we've briefly discussed it Seth, but I feel strongly you should get the Sky-D ESPECIALLY if you're looking at a 1 month time frame.

Here's why:

Yes, get the one you really want, of course. We all know that. But you've already owned a YM, and while that solidifies how much you want it, it also counters the fact that you've never owned an SD. You might get it and realize the YM is nothing compared to it.

But here's why to me this is a no brained, even if you get the SD and realize you'd much rather have the YM, if the market holds around the numbers projected by DSW, you can probably sell flip or trade the SD and easily cover the cost of the YM.

Buy an SD for $14.4k, trade it for a $20k YM. Seems like a homerun to me.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 03:09 PM   #67
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Hold on a sec, now I'm confused. We you say "SD" are we talking about a "Sea" Dweller, or a "Sky" Dweller?

I may have misunderstood the question and may need to revise my opinion....

Edit: On second thought it really doesn't matter. You've had the Yacht master and chose to let it go. Unless you sold it for financial reasons only, I still say experience something new.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 03:19 PM   #68
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Full disclaimer, I'm not sure I agree with this. I think in certain instances, it can be a hobby and an investment.

But the forum seems to have a consensus. A Rolex is not an investment. Buy what you like. So I'll present this quandry.

Possibly the only watch I regret flipping is the YM 116655. I want it back.

However, very likely, in the next 30 days I'll have the opportunity to buy a new SS SD. Not interested in spending the money for both. It's one or the other. Both through my trusted AD.

I prefer the YM. But I've not yet seen the SD in person so I'm holding out until I get the opportunity.

And thinking in terms of money, the YM is a losing proposition. Whereas I can't lose with the SD.

I'm not asking for your advice. I'll make my own decision when the time comes. But I do wonder what the consensus would do in my shoes.

Go for the one you prefer, or the one that is definitely a better "investment".

What would you do?
Yes, they are terrible investments, all the new watches would not and should not be considered an investment. Now vintage, that is another topic, but it has been threaded to death in the vintage section.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 03:38 PM   #69
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Agree Danny. Agree. It's time.

That's the right call.

Great match with your DJ.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 03:43 PM   #70
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
No watch is an investment. Even vintage Rolexes can become unpopular and lose $. Buy what you enjoy wearing and hopefully it will hold calue if you don't enjoy wearing it anymore and want to trade/sell it.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 04:59 PM   #71
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

To me watch is a hobby, buying watch is the cost of the hobby...not an investment, swiss watch industry has been slowing down for the past years, check out the sale forum and see how many watches were sold. 10 years ago, watches were much hotter. Buying new Rolex is an investment is just like new car for investment, not to mention Rolex makes almost 1 million watches a year. That's why I'd buy the the SD43 because I like it instead of the SD4K which many think is a investment
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 05:07 PM   #72
harvey
"TRF" Member

...I agree although not an investment, buy at the right price and wear it over a number of years...you can make a few quid. For example I bought my LV in Sept 2005 for £2650...what's it worth now £6k? £7k? It doesn't matter as I won't be selling it.

I just bought it as I liked the splash of colour. Just buy what you like to wear. It's that simple.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 09:55 PM   #73
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
Not an investment but I'm happy in the knowledge I'm not throwing my hard earned down the drain. I've only ever sold 2 -16710 Coke GMT II and a SS Ceramic Daytona so the way I look at it is, I could take a hit on any of my current collection and still break even overall.
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote