The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 October 2011, 04:33 PM   #31
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
5 years ago I would have agreed.

Back then I babied my M3 and it only left the garage on nice sunny days. Then I realized life is too short to worry so much... what if I died or something happened to the car and I would never be able to say I truly enjoyed it. So now I drive my M3 rain or shine, take my Range Rover off road as much as I can, even though shes scraped up and muddy most of the time instead of shiny and waxed up... and I wear my GMT like it was meant to be worn. It now has several scrapes, scratches, and dings... all from being worn in the plane flying around the country like it was designed to do!

Whats the point of having nice expensive quality items if you are never going to use them... or limit what you would do with them out of fear?

It will be great in 20 years when I retire from flying to have my GMT and all its battle scars... they will be the memories, proof of my adventures flying around the globe
Old 5 October 2011, 04:44 PM   #32
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
It doesn't bother me, but I don't understand it either. My luxury items are hard earned. Not taking care of them makes no sense to me.

But it's not mine, so bash at will.
Well my fiancé's SL550 hasnt been washed since March and my Vette hasnt been washed since then either. We would rather enjoy our things than spend all day worrying about them. A lot of people On here should try it.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2011, 04:47 PM   #33
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post

Back then I babied my M3 and it only left the garage on nice sunny days. Then I realized life is too short to worry so much... what if I died or something happened to the car and I would never be able to say I truly enjoyed it. So now I drive my M3 rain or shine, take my Range Rover off road as much as I can, even though shes scraped up and muddy most of the time instead of shiny and waxed up... and I wear my GMT like it was meant to be worn. It now has several scrapes, scratches, and dings... all from being worn in the plane flying around the country like it was designed to do!

Whats the point of having nice expensive quality items if you are never going to use them... or limit what you would do with them out of fear?

It will be great in 20 years when I retire from flying to have my GMT and all its battle scars... they will be the memories, proof of my adventures flying around the globe
Well said. My Vette gets left outside all the time they are just cars and watches....
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 02:28 AM   #34
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Well my fiancé's SL550 hasnt been washed since March and my Vette hasnt been washed since then either. We would rather enjoy our things than spend all day worrying about them. A lot of people On here should try it.
Jumping to a LOT of conclusions my friend. Who said I didn't enjoy my well kept items, or spent all day worrying about them?
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 02:30 AM   #35
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
A Rolex is a tool, not a toy. So use it and maintain it ... like any other tool.

If that was my picture I'd use it as my Avatar.

Man the places that watch has been! Thank God it can't talk or it would tell the wife/sigother!!!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 02:37 AM   #36
siewmaiwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV 14060m
nope, in fact, it must be great to have your rolex as a companion sharing your battle scars in life!!!

time and date un-adjusted? who cares really? only if you ask him for the time/date and gives you the wrong information perhaps (granting you weren't wearing your own watch that time that you had to ask someone)
siewmaiwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 02:41 AM   #37
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
If it doesn't bother the owner then it doesn't bother me.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 02:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing31 View Post
Some of the members have seen the bracelet of my mom's TT ladies date that my dad bought her when I was born (I posted pics once) .. The bracelet is stretched so much that the case will lie flat on the table .. She refuses to change the bracelet because of sentimental reasons .. Sometimes the date is off because she forgets to change the date at the end of the month .. It dosnt bother her, and therefore shouldnt bother anyone else
I'm with your mum on this marks done to the watch are not always bad and can often remind you of good times
11618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 02:57 AM   #39
firstOwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 20th Moon, ND Sub.
Quote:

firstOwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 03:01 AM   #40
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11618 View Post
I'm with your mum on this marks done to the watch are not always bad and can often remind you of good times
It's nice to see my mom smile everytime she looks at her watch .. It reminds her of my birth, and it reminds her of the day my father gave it to her .. Her smiles make me smile
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 03:27 AM   #41
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you for an inspirational post. We tend to be a little bit too obsessive about the things we own so that they end up owning us instead. Enjoy it while you can!
Old 6 October 2011, 03:48 AM   #42
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
if your noticing that much about the state of someone's watch perhaps you're getting too close i'd rather see a well used watch than a safe queen, it's there to be used....it's a watch after all not an ornament

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 03:51 AM   #43
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
Not at all.

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 05:34 AM   #44
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
Absoloutley, agreed!

Quote:

I was speaking to the not so fine line, IMO, between serious use (combined w/basic care) and abuse.

This post was inspired by a guy I play golf with who would always wear his Sub Date. The bracelet was so stretched out that it would barely stay on his wrist and I noticed recently that he hadn't been wearing it at all. We had talked a couple of times about cleaning, servicing, basic care etc... and he told me that "Ah, I don't bother w/any of that just put it on and go" and now it just sits in his locker because it slides so far down his hand that it is unwearable.

When the vehicles mentioned above are/were driven in the manner mentioned while they weren't "waxed and shiny" I would imagine the oil changes and tire rotations had been done when needed, correct?

Kidding about my compulsion to "scold" the owners aside, I'm just talking about the idea that a quality machine like a Rolex tool watch, M3 or Range Rover can and should be well used but, at the same time, properly cared for.

In the end that is, of course, the owner/user's perogative but I feel it is a shame to let something get so far out of range that it becomes unusable.
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 05:57 AM   #45
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
1. Nope - that's what it's meant for....Patek, BlancPain, AP, Lange and others are for show and light wear...a Rolex is a tool watch (IMO)
2. No again...sometimes I forget to change the date at the end of the month too....
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 10:35 AM   #46
FrankinCA

Watch: Omega SeMP Chrono
No, it makes me feel like the owner is getting his money's worth>>

I have a good friend who has a Daytona. it's banged up/scratched up. I like the fact he wears his watches.

I'm in the same mind set: I don't have 'safe' queens. all my watches get worn and banged around.

Frank
FrankinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 10:42 AM   #47
(DMB)
"TRF" Member

I never understood why people bought expensive things, only to baby them. The reason I buy expensive things is because they last longer and are better made than less expensive things. I still use them the same. Most normal people have one watch. One watch that they wear for all occasions. Only us watch nerds have a different watch for every day of the week and every conceivable occasion.
(DMB) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 11:13 AM   #48
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I don't believe in abusing my watches, but I'm glad to know that my Rolex watches will stand up to whatever my life throws at them.

It's good to see someone who buys a product designed to take a beating and who puts that item to the test.

There are expensive, fragile watches out there, but the Oyster line is not among them.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote