The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2016, 06:15 AM   #1
jc1301
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Is to tight bad for a Rolex?

Hi guys
I read a post earlier about how poeple wear their rolex's on the wrist .
When I bought mine and I was measured up for it there was a lot of adjustment going on . Links off and the links back on and then adjustment of the drivers extension . This must have been because my wrist is an odd size ? However I have it just ok now I think?

I find that when it's right at the bottoms on my wrist just where the Bone is , it is a little loose . Now only a little bit of play and enough to annoy me as it moves about as I walk about the office .

I find myself pushing the watch up my wrist to get it right on my wrist and now I am feeling paranoid I might stretch the links of do some kind of damage .
Question is does this happen to many other people ? And does it do damage?

I can't have another link out as it will then be too tight ?

Thanks
jc1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 06:28 AM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Not keeping the bracelet clean with constant movement of the links is what causes the stretch.
Old 14 February 2016, 06:41 AM   #3
RolexxxeloR
Banned

I like to be able to slip my pinky under the bracelet; therefore, I like kind of a loose feel... But honestly, both too loose or too tight are not ideal for the bracelet.

I wouldn't worry about bracelet stretch with these modern bracelets though... Matter of fact, I've yet to see a modern bracelet with any significant stretch...
RolexxxeloR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 07:17 AM   #4
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I prefer to wear it snug, so the watch does not move around on my arm and the case doesn't move around on the back of my wrist. I don't like to have to flip it into position when I go to tell the time. Snug won't hurt a thing. In fact, in the long run it is better for the bracelet's life, along with keeping it clean as already mentioned.
Old 14 February 2016, 07:23 AM   #5
jc1301
"TRF" Member

I take it using microfibre clothes are used to keep it clean ??
Old 14 February 2016, 07:30 AM   #6
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
There are a few ways to adjust depending on bracelet
Between the links, the half link extension and micro adjust on clasp I am sure you can get it "just right"

Cause too loose or tight is more annoying than causing wear

Just wash with soap and water and paper towel dry is all I do to clean it
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 07:55 AM   #7
RolexxxeloR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
There are a few ways to adjust depending on bracelet
Between the links, the half link extension and micro adjust on clasp I am sure you can get it "just right"

Cause too loose or tight is more annoying than causing wear

Just wash with soap and water and paper towel dry is all I do to clean it
Some of my favorite threads on here are the ones regarding PCLs... Eventually, someone always requests you to post photos of your Smurf! Love that! And honestly, I'm sure the photos have helped more than a few people get over their paranoia of scratches!
RolexxxeloR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 08:01 AM   #8
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Agree that with the modern bracelets (solid center links) that it is hard to stretch the bracelet. However, I think putting excess forces on the inside of the watch (i.e. Wearing it down around your wrist and having your wrist flex/extend and transfer those forces through the bracelet/springbars and endlinks) will speed up the process of wearing out your springbars. Indeed this wouldn't happen overnight or over weeks but over the years would be a more appropriate time course. others may disagree but I've personally done this with other watches (not Rolex - I haven't owned my rolexes long enough yet and I don't wear them down around my wristbone)

PS - this just seems obvious and common sense to me as the springbar is the point at which the bracelet connects to the case and is arguable the weakest point within the structure of the watch

Attached is pic. (However this is not a Rolex spring bar). U can see the deformity and it is quite obviously not simply from dirt and grime building up in the bracelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.1 KB, 586 views)
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 11:33 AM   #9
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1301 View Post
I take it using microfibre clothes are used to keep it clean ??
For the watch in general most any liquid soap, finger massage or a soft bristle (baby) tooth brush if you want, and wiping it dry with a microfiber cloth is sufficient. As far as the bracelet and it's long term health (i.e. "stretch") though, an occasional ultrasonic bath is recommended to get the gunk and grit out of the link pins and link holes that a normal bathroom sink cleaning won't get.
Old 14 February 2016, 11:49 AM   #10
silverbullet818
"TRF" Member

Agreed. This is what causes the mos damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post
Agree that with the modern bracelets (solid center links) that it is hard to stretch the bracelet. However, I think putting excess forces on the inside of the watch (i.e. Wearing it down around your wrist and having your wrist flex/extend and transfer those forces through the bracelet/springbars and endlinks) will speed up the process of wearing out your springbars. Indeed this wouldn't happen overnight or over weeks but over the years would be a more appropriate time course. others may disagree but I've personally done this with other watches (not Rolex - I haven't owned my rolexes long enough yet and I don't wear them down around my wristbone)

PS - this just seems obvious and common sense to me as the springbar is the point at which the bracelet connects to the case and is arguable the weakest point within the structure of the watch

Attached is pic. (However this is not a Rolex spring bar). U can see the deformity and it is quite obviously not simply from dirt and grime building up in the bracelet.
silverbullet818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 12:17 PM   #11
albmich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet818 View Post
Agreed. This is what causes the mos damage
Thank you. For some reason multiple forum members have disagreed with me on this previously. I have personally ruined watches in this manner in my younger years.
Old 14 February 2016, 01:30 PM   #12
kopykopy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post

Thus, when unnecessarily wearing an expensive watch while lifting weights at the gym or even when sleeping will speed up the damage to the springbars?
kopykopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 01:37 PM   #13
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopykopy View Post
Thus, when unnecessarily wearing an expensive watch while lifting weights at the gym or even when sleeping will speed up the damage to the springbars?
Pretty sure a 2 dollar spring bar isn't going to prevent most people from wearing their watch everywhere. Certainly would no phase me in the least.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 07:30 PM   #14
jc1301
"TRF" Member

Not going to prevent me from wearing it but the fear of the spring bar breaking and potentially watch falling off??
Does this happen?
Old 15 February 2016, 01:25 AM   #15
albmich
"TRF" Member

None of this should scare you from wearing your watch. The main point here is wearing the watch properly sized. Agreed spring bars are cheap and easy to replace. But so are tires on a car. That doesn't mean I go outside and do donuts and burnouts everyday. Just as I would use the tires on my car properly, I wear my Rolex properly to prevent excessive wear on the springbars and other elements of the bracelet. To each his own, wear it however you want.