The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2016, 06:49 AM   #1
Contrarian
"TRF" Member

First Rolex.

Hey, this is my very first post here.

I've been reading this form for the past 3 years but haven't signed up until now. And I think its time to start looking to buy my first Rolex within the next year.

I would like to know what justified your first Rolex purchase, and if it changed the way you went forward in life.

To be in this position I spent most of my 20s working and being responsible instead of young and stupid.

I'm afraid that may be one of my biggest regrets going forward and I feel like I've reached a cap perhaps a little burnt out.

My eye is on the Datejust II 116333 Champagne Dial + Diamonds. Does anyone own this watch, what do you personally think about it?..

And if there are any tips for buying a Rolex and haggling down the price it would be much appreciated, last time I went to the local AD the prices they were quoting seemed to have $3,000 markups over prices I've seen online.

I look forward to being a part of this great online community.
Contrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 09:11 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to the Forum..

I don't try to justify my watches..

Rolex does not sell watches on-line and so those prices you see are from non-authorized dealers.
Old 14 February 2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
I bought my first Rolex watch shortly after I moved to Singapore in the early 90's. It seemed everyone I saw was wearing a Rolex watch and my justification was simply that I loved the look and feel of Rolex watches, I wanted one, I had the funds, they essentially last forever, I was working very hard, the prices in Singapore were very good, and my wife thought it would be a good idea. My first Rolex watch was a SS/18Kt Datejust with a champagne dial; a very conservative choice I thought at the time. As for how it changed my life; not at all for the most part; except that it started an endless series of daydreaming schemes to change and expand my watch collection. It's been a great, if expensive, hobby over the years.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 10:24 AM   #4
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
it changed the way forward in my life in that i had to live off toast and walk to work for the next 3 months
Old 14 February 2016, 10:37 AM   #5
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Diamonds are for women and rappers in my opinion, but I wish you luck in your eventual purchase. No need to justify it. Unless your personality type requires justification.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 10:47 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
I would like to know what justified your first Rolex purchase, and if it changed the way you went forward in life.

To be in this position I spent most of my 20s working and being responsible instead of young and stupid.
My road was quite similar, you were a good boy in your 20s, and now you can be a bad TRF boy in your 30s. Buy, enjoy and have fun.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 11:09 AM   #7
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
The first Rolex purchase was the gateway drug into the obsession of timepieces. Remember it like it was yesterday.

I would say that it has changed my life by removing a lot of money out of my bank account. However there has been far more upsides than downsides as I have made several tremendous friendships with the hobby, all positive.

DJ II is a nice watch. My first was a Submariner, along with my second. But you need to go with what makes you happy.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Skwisgaar
Banned

Watch: DJ II rhodium, '56
Quote:

I've been reading this form for the past 3 years but haven't signed up until now. And I think its time to start looking to buy my first Rolex within the next year.

I'm afraid that may be one of my biggest regrets going forward and I feel like I've reached a cap perhaps a little burnt out.

My eye is on the Datejust II 116333 Champagne Dial + Diamonds. Does anyone own this watch, what do you personally think about it?..

And if there are any tips for buying a Rolex and haggling down the price it would be much appreciated, last time I went to the local AD the prices they were quoting seemed to have $3,000 markups over prices I've seen online.

I bought my first one because it was a great deal. It's a '58 Oysterdate. I have one similar to the one you're eyeing, but in white gold with the rhodium dial. I love the watch, but I do have one big gripe about it and it was something I should have seen when I picked it out. The hands on the diamond marker models are gold and have no lume. The watch is practically useless in low light.

You're not going to get an AD to come off the price, by the way. Rolex gets really touchy when they do that and the possible consequences aren't worth it to the AD.
Skwisgaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
It changed my life and bank account .... Welcome to the forum
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 03:55 PM   #10
mrchrisx69
"TRF" Member

Quote:

uploadfromtaptalk1455429287585.jpg

I own it ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
mrchrisx69 is offline   Reply With Quote