The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2017, 03:29 AM   #31
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
I have to wonder what the general reactions would have been had the OP absolutely loved it.

To mix some metaphors this appears to me to be a dog-pile of lemmings.
Exactly the same......the people who like it, would still like it. The people that didn't, still won't.....its not rocket science
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 03:56 AM   #32
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Color me blind but I like it.
Old 7 July 2017, 04:39 AM   #33
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
I have to wonder what the general reactions would have been had the OP absolutely loved it.

To mix some metaphors this appears to me to be a dog-pile of lemmings.
Polite people would refrain from commenting. Honest people would say it's a silly and unattractive watch.

Consensus is easy to reach naturally when something looks like this.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 04:43 AM   #34
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
This is when I genuinely question the brand......hideous all the way around except maybe the box lol........I can't wait to try to keep a straight face when boutique reps contact me about this :

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...watch/product/

and I read from their add: It is entirely plausible that Commander James Bond would have been issued with an OMEGA watch............... Ian Fleming owned a Explorer 1016.......... Im sure he'll turn in his grave if ever turns out bond was offer a commanders-watch by Q branch, may as well give him a Timex!
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 04:50 AM   #35
Richmor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Patek
my Omega store already has one at his store for sale. He said it looks better in person than in pictures. He can't understand how Omega can get these LE's out so fast and yet can not deliver on the watches everyone has been waiting on, the '57 Trilogy anniversary speedy, sea master, and rail master.
Old 7 July 2017, 04:58 AM   #36
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Other than the classic speedy pro hesalite, the trilogy and a select few aqua terras... I honestly can't think of too many other omega references that I could really want
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 05:15 AM   #37
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
If you removed the 007 hand, it wouldn't be bad. I'd wear it here and there to the beach or something, but no chance I would buy it.

Funny about the Omega LE pieces. I was on 47th Street today just looking for ideas, guy tried selling me an Olympics Omega LE, the second hand had the Olympic circles, I was like gross!
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 08:07 AM   #38
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Especially looking like that! I would expect Toys R Us to be selling it.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 09:02 AM   #39
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
I'm a watch guy. I'm a big Bond fan. The 007 second hand makes it look goofy. Get rid of that and you might have a neat summer watch- something to wear with casual clothes and such.

That second hand is a cheap gimmick on a otherwise nice watch.
august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 09:47 AM   #40
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
Quote:
Originally Posted by august1410 View Post
I'm a watch guy. I'm a big Bond fan. The 007 second hand makes it look goofy. Get rid of that and you might have a neat summer watch- something to wear with casual clothes and such.

That second hand is a cheap gimmick on a otherwise nice watch.
My thoughts exactly!
MJaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 10:19 AM   #41
Trog
Banned

It appears to be ready to self destruct.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 05:20 PM   #42
Borsika
Banned

Looks fabulous! It looks fresh and little vintage at the same time. Great!
Borsika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 07:55 PM   #43
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Not sure about this myself & was hoping for something more along the 2254 with sword hands ,but think it looks better in gold .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 09:39 PM   #44
SPEIRMOOR
"TRF" Member

I'm glad its so terrible as I'll be able to pick one up cheap on the secondhand market but guess what that wont happen either.
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 10:33 PM   #45
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

As has been said, drop the "007" on the seconds hand and it isn't a bad looking summer/fun watch. Perfect for July 4th BBQs...
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 10:37 PM   #46
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
As has been said, drop the "007" on the seconds hand and it isn't a bad looking summer/fun watch. Perfect for July 4th BBQs...
I agree.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 11:08 PM   #47
Shaky
"TRF" Member

When I saw this months Omega LE, my initial reaction was I wouldn't touch it with the naff 007 emblem on it.

Now I have seen the military ribbon that appears to go with it, I am lost for words. Are the going to do an even more limited piece where you get Commander Bonds full uniform to wear the ribbon on as well.

I don't understand why Omega is going the way it is and doing all this stuff, by the looks of it I don't think Omega knows why it is going the way it is.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 11:09 PM   #48
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I will pass.
Old 8 July 2017, 12:17 AM   #49
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
I don't understand why Omega is going the way it is and doing all this stuff, by the looks of it I don't think Omega knows why it is going the way it is.
It's a tough market for most of these guys. Outside of PP and Rolex, I'm sure forecasts aren't looking good.
Old 8 July 2017, 12:43 AM   #50
Cobain
"TRF" Member

Hey, it'll go well with a track suit
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 01:00 AM   #51
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Timeless...no, classic...no, would I lay 5K down for it...no, cool idea...kinda. I am a Bond fan through and through so anything Bond has a little bit of cool factor to me though.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 02:46 AM   #52
whinetime
"TRF" Member

I know there are different opinions out there when it comes to things like this but: I think it would have been a nice gesture to see this year's 007 watch give a subtle nod of respect to Roger Moore.
whinetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 03:47 AM   #53
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

Ghastly. It looks like a child has coloured in a picture of a watch. I can't imagine that the First Sea Lord sees it as a fitting tribute to the Royal Navy
Old 8 July 2017, 04:19 AM   #54
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinetime View Post
I know there are different opinions out there when it comes to things like this but: I think it would have been a nice gesture to see this year's 007 watch give a subtle nod of respect to Roger Moore.
I thought about that....but am glad they didn't with this design....I wouldn't of wanted to tarnish Moore's legacy with this as a memorial......

To those that like the watch, sorry for the harsh words from me...but this piece really has disappointed me from a brand that I love....much like the multi-colored YM from Rolex this year.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 05:09 AM   #55
whinetime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Now I have seen the military ribbon that appears to go with it, I am lost for words. Are the going to do an even more limited piece where you get Commander Bonds full uniform to wear the ribbon on as well.
The medal actually coming with the watch was very sad to see. First it serves no purpose, no one is goes to wear the stupid fake medal that comes with their watch. Second and even worse I find it highly a disrespectful and disgusting appropriated use of something people have to serve in a war to usually receive. Its one thing when fashion brands use camouflage or sell gold plated dog tags. But this medal is just next level stoopid.

Well I guess medals and watches can be said to cost an arm and a leg and mean it.

I'm just a guy on the internet and vet and annoyed. I'll probably still buy the 2019 moonwatch if Omega is still in business. :
whinetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 06:45 AM   #56
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Not one I am interested in but I'm sure there are at least 7,007 people worldwide who will want one.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 08:58 PM   #57
s.al-anizi
"TRF" Member

Omega was on the right track up until 2012, with the advent of liquidmetal and the new 85xx series movements.....now they're going down the drain with thousands and thousands of "Limited Edition" pieces....

Sad...really sad...
s.al-anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 10:39 PM   #58
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.al-anizi View Post
Omega was on the right track up until 2012, with the advent of liquidmetal and the new 85xx series movements.....now they're going down the drain with thousands and thousands of "Limited Edition" pieces....

Sad...really sad...

I see it as a bit of Hollywood "sequel" focused mindset...
The first one was successful, so lets keep cranking out more..

Darkside of the moon knocked it out of the park... lets make 6 more sequels..

Limited edition snoopy was a wild success... lets make 2-3 LE speedmasters per year instead of just one...

Spectre was great and sold like crazy, we need more Bond watches...

The problem being that, like Hollywood sequels, the movie comes before the story... and now we're seeing the "godfather 3" syndrome...

Like movies, the focus should be on the product first... Get a great watch design, and THEN decide to engrave "bond/Speedmaster/olympics, etc" on the back... don't say "we need a bond watch" and then put together something out of ideas that had been discarded long ago as not being good enough...

I'm not sure what my opinion of the watch is as a watch... some photos look pretty good, most of the official Omega pics look very cartoony..

But I question the fact that there is no reason for this watch to exist, other than to sell watches...

You can't seriously expect anyone to believe that there was a huge gathering of fans of the three random movies that Bond wore Naval Dress that were clamoring for a commemorative watch...

The part that bothers me, is that flimsy raison d'etre aside... it would be all forgiven if the watch were super cool!

This could have been a liquid metal all blue with ZrO2 wave dial - and 8900 movement... like the submariner upgrade to ceramic and jumbo case...

This could have been the intro to next generation SMP - and honored the model that Pierce Brosnan made Iconic..

A wasted opportunity in my opinion...

I really wanted to love it (I love Omega, and love Bond)... but now I'm of a mindset of... "I'll have to try it on"...
Old 9 July 2017, 11:02 PM   #59
JP Chestnut
Banned

Omega has been making garbage LEs since at least the 2000s.
Old 10 July 2017, 02:48 AM   #60
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I like the nato
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote