The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 July 2017, 11:29 AM   #1
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Interesting outing

I'm not sure which forum to post this in given the range of brands involved, but thought I'd try the AP forum, as this is where I spend most of my time.

Last night I used the excuse of a trip to my tailor to get out of the office to do a quick circuit of some of the grey dealers and ADs in Tsim Sha Tsui and encountered quite a nice selection of watches.

The Rolex ADs had nothing of interest, but I did come across the Sea-dweller 43 - for an absurd premium over MSRP (in line with what these are going for here, though) but it was good to try it on. And I must say that I found it a bit disappointing - it seemed much smaller than I'd been expecting (not helped by putting it on after taking off my AP 44!).

I liked it...didn't love it - but removing any sense of urgency to acquire this is good for my bank balance.

At the same dealer; I also had the chance to try on the AP 44 summer edition - while I wouldn't wear this enough to justify the purchase, it is a really striking piece

On a lark, I went into the Patel Philippe AD asking about Aquanauts and specifically steel 5164s. with full expectation of having this request met with a belly laugh from the sales person, given what I hear about availability, I was shocked when he said "yes, just arrived, but it's unopened, so if you want to get a sense of size, you'll need to try the gold version". Which I did

I want to love this watch, but I just think that it wears too small for someone well over 6 feet tall - at least based on my tastes at the moment.

In addition to these, there were a slew of other pieces that I tried.

All in all, it was a highly entertaining (though very hot!) visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 11:59 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Nice what brand belt is that?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 12:06 PM   #3
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

That PP looks awesome on you...good pick 👍
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 12:10 PM   #4
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Nice what brand belt is that?
Thanks! Ferragamo
Old 13 July 2017, 12:14 PM   #5
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
That PP looks awesome on you...good pick 👍
Thank you! In just looks so tiny compared to the bigger watches I've been wearing for the past decade. The PPs are finished beautifully, but what I find completely stunning are their exposed movements. Just amazing
Old 13 July 2017, 12:27 PM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

If you want a dress watch PP is nice (however from a movement standpoint I'd go look at ALS as well).

If you want a sports watch AP or RM are the ideal choices.

Good luck with your hunt.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 02:20 PM   #7
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
If you want a dress watch PP is nice (however from a movement standpoint I'd go look at ALS as well).

Agree!

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 03:13 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
On a lark, I went into the Patel Philippe AD asking about Aquanauts and specifically steel 5164s. with full expectation of having this request met with a belly laugh from the sales person, given what I hear about availability, I was shocked when he said "yes, just arrived, but it's unopened, so if you want to get a sense of size, you'll need to try the gold version". Which I did

I want to love this watch, but I just think that it wears too small for someone well over 6 feet tall - at least based on my tastes at the moment.
Im with you on that. I have tried on the 5164 twice now. The first time i went in wearing an AP 44 and the second time i went in wearing a GMT II. It was a totally different experience both times. Depending on the watch you have been wearing that day and and that your brain has gotten use to seeing on your wrist, the 5164 went from too small to stunning.

Im still torn on this piece as I do really love it but am generally into a bit bigger watches at the moment. I do recommend not wearing an AP 44 though when looking at any smaller watches as it does distort your perspective. For me at least.

Also agree on ALS. I love their watches, a bit too dressy generally for me and if i didn't dress so casually normally I would consider them for sure, probably ahead of PP. The 5164 is very much in between the dressy offerings and a pure sports watch which is why i am so drawn to it. The 42mm white gold aquanaut is quite nice as well, you should give that a look.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 03:45 PM   #9
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Also agree on ALS. I love their watches, a bit too dressy generally for me and if i didn't dress so casually normally I would consider them for sure, probably ahead of PP. The 5164 is very much in between the dressy offerings and a pure sports watch which is why i am so drawn to it. The 42mm white gold aquanaut is quite nice as well, you should give that a look.
That's exactly where my head is at (or where my heart is at, to be accurate). I like watches that can be worn with a suit or with jeans and the aquanaut fits the bill. Plus, I like the travel time complication a lot - very practical. not as practical as an iPhone that automatically adjusts to new timezones, it must be said....but let's not go there on a mechanical watch forum!
Old 13 July 2017, 03:47 PM   #10
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post

Thanks. ALS has some great pieces - will make a point of exploring them more thoroughly
Old 18 July 2017, 10:05 PM   #11
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Oh wow, that summer edition is dreamy!!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 10:26 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think the 5164 looks fine on you. You might be quite tall but you are also quite slim. PP are more refined and elegant and don't have to fill up your whole wrist like a muscular, sporty AP ROO should. After I wore my AP 44 I tried on a D-Blue and that felt very normal to my surprise, almost like my subc, even though it is 18mm thick and top heavy, so not fair to try on smaller watches right after larger ones. I'd also try on a Datograph.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 11:19 PM   #13
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think the 5164 looks fine on you. You might be quite tall but you are also quite slim. PP are more refined and elegant and don't have to fill up your whole wrist like a muscular, sporty AP ROO should. After I wore my AP 44 I tried on a D-Blue and that felt very normal to my surprise, almost like my subc, even though it is 18mm thick and top heavy, so not fair to try on smaller watches right after larger ones. I'd also try on a Datograph.
I'm coming around to this view. Rapidly. Very. And probably should have hit the bid as soon as I found the 5164

I think the combination of rubber and subtly polished metal is fantastic and I love the travel time complication.

While I was immediately drawn to the steel, as I look at the photos again, the gold looks great also.

....now I would really like to see the 5168!
Old 18 July 2017, 11:29 PM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
its awesome. Its too blue for me (dial+strap) but i like the size when i tried it on. a 42mm 5164 is what we are both actually wanting i think.
Old 18 July 2017, 11:50 PM   #15
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
its awesome. Its too blue for me (dial+strap) but i like the size when i tried it on. a 42mm 5164 is what we are both actually wanting i think.
Exactly!

i will be interested to see if the 42mm was a one off or if PP launches any other aquanauts in this size next year
Old 18 July 2017, 11:55 PM   #16
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Oh wow, that summer edition is dreamy!!
I like it a lot...I'd never buy it and, if perchance I did, I can see but a handful of situations when I would wear it. But all practicality aside, it looks fantastic
Old 19 July 2017, 12:36 AM   #17
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:
I'm coming around to this view. Rapidly. Very. And probably should have hit the bid as soon as I found the 5164

I think the combination of rubber and subtly polished metal is fantastic and I love the travel time complication.

While I was immediately drawn to the steel, as I look at the photos again, the gold looks great also.

I love the 5164 for that exact reason. Allows me to get the polished/brushed bezel which I love in my 15202 but with a rubber band I don't have to worry about scratching.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 01:05 AM   #18
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

is that Byblos AP on sale? looks sharp on you
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 03:48 AM   #19
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Always go watch hunting with no watch, even better if you don't wear any for 24hours before, totally changes your perception, no doubt, do that and try the 5164 again...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 03:51 AM   #20
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Must say, the 5164 looks great on you.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 10:05 AM   #21
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Looks like a great tour of dealers!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 08:07 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's exactly where my head is at (or where my heart is at, to be accurate). I like watches that can be worn with a suit or with jeans and the aquanaut fits the bill. Plus, I like the travel time complication a lot - very practical. not as practical as an iPhone that automatically adjusts to new timezones, it must be said....but let's not go there on a mechanical watch forum!
got a 5164A incoming this afternoon. The timing really sucks with my other incomings i have had recently, but I've been sort of on a waitlist for two years and my AD called out of the blue this morning. Plus i get to avoid the UK price rise that is coming. So will post pics later.
Old 22 July 2017, 12:19 AM   #23
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
got a 5164A incoming this afternoon. The timing really sucks with my other incomings i have had recently, but I've been sort of on a waitlist for two years and my AD called out of the blue this morning. Plus i get to avoid the UK price rise that is coming. So will post pics later.
That is AWESOME! I'm looking forward to the photos.

Along the same , though much less exciting, lines - I got a call from an AD that they had a seadweller 43 for me. I just landed back, so will be on my way to collect that tomorrow morning

...but that doesn't compare to the 5164 !
O
Old 22 July 2017, 02:45 AM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
2 years for a 5164A??? Wow, in the Paris Salon 2 years ago, it was the only steel watch they would put you on a list for, and even better they had one available, but wasn't for me. Congrats
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 03:04 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
2 years for a 5164A??? Wow, in the Paris Salon 2 years ago, it was the only steel watch they would put you on a list for, and even better they had one available, but wasn't for me. Congrats
I told the AD I wanted one two years ago and nothing. When i actually started buying watches from them fairly recently, it magically appeared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4913.jpg (195.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7836.jpg (221.2 KB, 219 views)
Old 22 July 2017, 03:05 AM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is AWESOME! I'm looking forward to the photos.

Along the same , though much less exciting, lines - I got a call from an AD that they had a seadweller 43 for me. I just landed back, so will be on my way to collect that tomorrow morning

...but that doesn't compare to the 5164 !
O
the sea dweller is awesome too.
Old 22 July 2017, 03:15 AM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I told the AD I wanted one two years ago and nothing. When i actually started buying watches from them fairly recently, it magically appeared.
Congrats, Tyler, and great timing! I really love the dial of this piece. I think this and the WG Daytona OF are quite similar, is the OF still on your mind?
Old 22 July 2017, 03:51 AM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Congrats, Tyler, and great timing! I really love the dial of this piece. I think this and the WG Daytona OF are quite similar, is the OF still on your mind?
The PP strap and OF wear quite similar. The PP strap is more comfortable but no micro adjustment like the daytona OF, so its probably a wash as far as which strap i prefer. Weirdly enough I'm more OK with the PP size than i was with the Daytona and it wears a touch smaller. Its probably because its less sporty so the daytona has a more sporty expectation of size IMO and it underwhelms as a very sporty piece.

no, no more watches for a while, especially strap ones. Im way too strap heavy now for sure.

Plus my wife would kill me, thats probably the main reason.

Thinking of moving the diver and getting a ROC. That would probably be next, but no real timeframe on that. I try to keep my collection quantity at a wearable number, so generally its one in and one out at this point. Any more and i can't really wear them. The DSSD got kicked out recently and a Breitling.
Old 22 July 2017, 08:01 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The PP strap and OF wear quite similar. The PP strap is more comfortable but no micro adjustment like the daytona OF, so its probably a wash as far as which strap i prefer. Weirdly enough I'm more OK with the PP size than i was with the Daytona and it wears a touch smaller. Its probably because its less sporty so the daytona has a more sporty expectation of size IMO and it underwhelms as a very sporty piece.

no, no more watches for a while, especially strap ones. Im way too strap heavy now for sure.

Plus my wife would kill me, thats probably the main reason.

Thinking of moving the diver and getting a ROC. That would probably be next, but no real timeframe on that. I try to keep my collection quantity at a wearable number, so generally its one in and one out at this point. Any more and i can't really wear them. The DSSD got kicked out recently and a Breitling.
I get you on the PP being acceptably smaller, I do wish the Daytona was a genuine 40mm. I'm trying the same one in one out system now, try to keep down to 5 watches. You should put an incoming in the PP forum with your great pic skills.
Old 22 July 2017, 08:27 AM   #30
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I'm considering whether to part with my DSSD Deep Blue. I don't wear it much and for me it no longer competes against my other watches - and with my new YG YM2 hopefully appearing soon, plus possibly an AP Summer Edition later in the year, it may have to go.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote