The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2017, 05:22 AM   #31
jscw
"TRF" Member

I've tried the white gold one before. It's the same dimension as YM II. Big chunk but acceptable and wearable.
jscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 05:49 AM   #32
jhunter3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscw View Post
I've tried the white gold one before. It's the same dimension as YM II. Big chunk but acceptable and wearable.
Do you have any idea how thick the YM II is? I can't seem to find that information. I think the case is 43mm.
jhunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 07:12 AM   #33
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's not especially chunky for an AC watch.
Agreed.
Also the case design appears to be rather stylised in that the lugs seem to be slightly more elongated.
It does exude a degree of elegant proportion that befits a luxury watch and at a reasonable price point.

It's a winner as far as i'm concerned.
I've been torn choosing between the Rolesor Skydweller and the DJ41.
The DJ41 is slightly problematic to me as it's hard to choose the configurations but leaning heavily toward the Blue dial. It's just a fraction small overall.

One simply has to use a little common sense when making a decision like this as its possible to adapt and get used to something different.

The Skydweller takes that decision away from me and simply only offers a totally functional Fluted bezel with an Oyster bracelet. I can't loose
The size/proportions are absolutely perfect for my wrist and the Blue dial is stunning especially with the red month indicator.

It's not chunky when one considers it's a fully integrated Perpetual calendar watch design that's very compact in comparison with other offerings in the market.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 07:17 AM   #34
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
It's going to feel a lot chunkier in the heavy precious metal. I would suggest waiting to try an actual SS aka white Rolesor model on prior to any conclusions.
Absolutely.
I've been trying one on in WG with the bracelet at my local dealer and the weight difference is very substantial.
Old 15 July 2017, 07:31 AM   #35
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
Hahaha. Oooohhh
I apologize friends.. my bad :)
Haha it was worth it to see a pic of that beauty!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 07:47 AM   #36
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
I agree with you. It is nearly comically huge.
That's comical.
Uppersouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 07:47 AM   #37
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscw View Post
YMII is listed as 44mm; SkyD is 42mm. 14mm thickness for YMII; 14.1 listed for SkyD. FWIW, the DJII is 12 mm thick.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 07:54 AM   #38
lawfor
"TRF" Member

Yeah, it's waaaay too big. You guys would hate it. It will look funny. It will hurt your arm it's so big. You should cancel your orders right now :). And then send me the name of your dealer. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 11:06 AM   #39
drefrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Having read about the Skydweller size I had hoped to try one on in PM. My local dealer told me they have never had one. With any luck that will change as I'm on the list for a SS. I was traveling recently and stopped by an AD and they had a yellow gold one in the case. Definitely not a small watch, but I was surprised at how well it seemed to contour to my wrist. It just felt and looked good. Now anxiously awaiting the call.
Based on the comments above and in other threads it is clear that this is an individual thing as I suppose is the norm with most watches. I would definitely encourage those who are on the fence to try one on and see how it fits your wrist.
drefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 11:16 AM   #40
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
I agree with you. It is nearly comically huge.
Is that sarcasm or just a comment from someone who dislikes larger watches. There are watches I'd consider comically large but 42mm doesn't approach those. Look at the Invictas at 53mm; now that's comical.

Old 15 July 2017, 11:48 AM   #41
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
We all have different opinions, it is a big watch for some, as a dressy watch particularly so, but many on the forum will like it and I am not going to judge others, on my 7.5in I think it too big, but different strokes for different folks, it certainly will be lighter not being PM, which might help the wearability for new buyers.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 11:59 PM   #42
Cutlass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Haha it was worth it to see a pic of that beauty!

Hahah thanks..
but OK, I have blue SkyD incoming too .. ;)
our AD said it will be abvailable at September
Old 16 July 2017, 12:48 AM   #43
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi View Post
It's pretty funny how you see Sky and Yacht2s on so many athletes, artists and actors of all types and sizes from around the world... yet you come here and you'd think everyone is still living in a 36mm horology world.

Aside from the deep sea, rolexes are not big. At all. Not chunky. At all.
Might I suggest that most 'personalities' of any class, tend to avoid Rolex these days. They are seen as watches for the masses, the better-off masses! There also seems a move away from bracelets . Such is fashion.
As for the Skydweller.....pass, thank you.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 03:14 AM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I tried one on and it is at the upper limit for my wrist. Having a 42mm Tudor Grantour, a DJII, an Omega 42mm PO, and a Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish X-Plus (44mm) all of which I wear comfortably, I don't foresee a problem even with my relatively small wrists. I have to admit that I traded away my SubC because it wasn't as comfortable for me as my 14060 but that wasn't the only factor. Also at issue was the sterility of the design.

I would imagine at least for those receiving the watch early on that it won't be too much of a problem selling theirs if they don't want them and decide the watch isn't right for them.

One addition for me; sometimes a watch's appropriateness for the individual isn't only about dimensions; sometimes it's about desire.
Lee, I had a Steelfish and they wear about the same across the wrist as the SF's dial is small, however the SF was much thicker so the SkyD should be no problem.

14mm thick and 42mm wide is a mid-size sports watch, not at any extreme at all.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 03:16 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Agreed.
Also the case design appears to be rather stylised in that the lugs seem to be slightly more elongated.
It does exude a degree of elegant proportion that befits a luxury watch and at a reasonable price point.

It's a winner as far as i'm concerned.
I've been torn choosing between the Rolesor Skydweller and the DJ41.
The DJ41 is slightly problematic to me as it's hard to choose the configurations but leaning heavily toward the Blue dial. It's just a fraction small overall.

One simply has to use a little common sense when making a decision like this as its possible to adapt and get used to something different.

The Skydweller takes that decision away from me and simply only offers a totally functional Fluted bezel with an Oyster bracelet. I can't loose
The size/proportions are absolutely perfect for my wrist and the Blue dial is stunning especially with the red month indicator.

It's not chunky when one considers it's a fully integrated Perpetual calendar watch design that's very compact in comparison with other offerings in the market.
Next year I will be weighing up the Blue SkyD and DJ41 as well.
Old 16 July 2017, 04:00 AM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Next year I will be weighing up the Blue SkyD and DJ41 as well.
Nice
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 04:38 AM   #47
jhunter3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Submariner
Everyone knows this but Sea Dweller is 43mm/15.5mm, DSSD is 44mm/17.7mm...im sure a lot of depends on the lug size as well, but it seems the SkyD is a slightly lower profile, size-wise at least, than the SD43...visually, though...obviously much different.

Will just have to see how it wears.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
jhunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 05:00 AM   #48
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lee, I had a Steelfish and they wear about the same across the wrist as the SF's dial is small, however the SF was much thicker so the SkyD should be no problem.

14mm thick and 42mm wide is a mid-size sports watch, not at any extreme at all.
Neil, I totally agree about the mid size sports watch sizing. I used to buy Invictas and wear them 50 - 53mm is standard men's size. Invicta considers 44 woman's size just as an alternate perspective..

Old 16 July 2017, 05:25 AM   #49
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
7 3/8" wrist here and it sits fine and wears the same. PM will be heavier. After some days of wearing it, it wears just like my other PM watches.
Old 16 July 2017, 05:43 AM   #50
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
I think the size is OK and we watch is relatively thin if you think about the complex movement inside. Also, if you would make the SD smaller you would have problems reading the GMT IMO. It's perfect as it is :)
TakeYourTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 07:16 AM   #51
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Love the size...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WG Sky Dweller Wrist shot - 2.jpg (174.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Black Dial band Wristg shot.jpg (218.0 KB, 126 views)
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 07:23 AM   #52
Borossd
"TRF" Member

Crazy how anyone thinks it's too big or chunky I guess if u like a baby sub or a small guy I see how you might feel that way / this piece is truly amazing its a thing of beauty
Borossd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 11:21 AM   #53
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunter3 View Post
Everyone knows this but Sea Dweller is 43mm/15.5mm, DSSD is 44mm/17.7mm...im sure a lot of depends on the lug size as well, but it seems the SkyD is a slightly lower profile, size-wise at least, than the SD43...visually, though...obviously much different.

Will just have to see how it wears.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Lets not forget that a white/lighter coloured dial watch will appear to wear larger than a darker colour.
Old 16 July 2017, 11:24 AM   #54
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYourTime View Post
I think the size is OK and we watch is relatively thin if you think about the complex movement inside. Also, if you would make the SD smaller you would have problems reading the GMT IMO. It's perfect as it is :)
Agreed.
It's well thought out and arranged.
Almost hard to imagine a better configuration, all things considered.
Old 16 July 2017, 11:26 AM   #55
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
I put my name down for the new SS Skydweller a couple of months ago and had the opportunity today to try it on in precious metal for sizing.

This is a chunky watch. I wonder if people, who may not be into the bigger watch trend and who intend on purchasing will be disappointed by the overall size? I would definitely recommend trying a PM version on in advance if you get the chance.

I think it will be a pass for me.

Disclaimer: This is not a subtle attempt to get people to take their names of lists to increase my chances!
I agree, I tried on the white gold version about 6 months ago and thought the same thing. That is why, while I think the SS Sky-Dweller is an amazing timepiece, it's just too big for me (unfortunately, otherwise I would have put my name down for the blue dial once it was announced.)
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 11:30 AM   #56
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Neil, I totally agree about the mid size sports watch sizing. I used to buy Invictas and wear them 50 - 53mm is standard men's size. Invicta considers 44 woman's size just as an alternate perspective..
Yes, I was just confirming for you that it should be fine. The mid-size comment was more against those thinking the SkyD is extreme.
Old 16 July 2017, 08:01 PM   #57
regnant
"TRF" Member

Sky Dweller is a very well proportioned watch, it's not too big at all. Height of the case flanks is very decent too. It's 42 mm and it perfectly shows its dimensions without being an overwhelming product