The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 July 2017, 06:16 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Almost died yesterday, came very very close...

Hey everyone, had an almost near death experience yesterday, in a beach in Phuket where we have been swimming every day for the last 10 days, we almost drowned with my son, he is 8, knows how to swim but not great, and was too far from the shore, in a beach where there are waves and big currents, my wife had told him to come back but he stayed around 1m80 depth, she came to get me to go get him, I go and 5 meters from him waves start rolling like crazy, maybe one every 6-8 seconds, pulling us away from the shore, I caught him but he panicked and was hanging on to my neck pushing me under water, every time I had to take off his hands from my neck to get up for air, holding his arm for him not to be separated from me, and barely took one small breath and another wave was hitting, us rolling, me holding him, and again him keeping me under water, that lasted what seemed an eternity, but might have been 5-7 minutes, 2-3 more minutes I was done for, had it not been my son I would have gotten rid of him, when lifeguards came and sent us a floating device, we attached to it and a chinese man started to grab me and also pulled me under water, he also had been caught in the current and waves, I got rid of him, attached him to the floating thing, the lifeguard brought them back, I did half of the way to shore alone when another lifeguard gave me his hand and at 2 they helped me get back, I was already walking at this point, but I was out of breath and with 0 energy. I gave the lifeguards a nice reward, they didn't want to accept but I insisted.

Had there been no lifeguards I don't think I would be writing this today, alone I would have been fine, I swam in serious conditions before, did surfing in Hawaii, but when you have someone panicking and holding on to you, basically keeping you under water, whole different story.

Crap it was scary as hell, without my son no problem, I swim there every day since we got here, no problem, but with him it changed totally, I understand why when someone is drowning it's very dangerous to help if you have no rope or floating device, the person panicks, holds on to you and makes you go under water, my son is only 30kilos, I can imagine a grown strong person doing the same thing.

Wow this is really my year, almost died of huge pneumonia and lung failure during Baselworld, and now this... As a motorcycle driver I almost died 100 times, but it's not the sale thing, you avoid at the last moment a car or truck, it lasts 1 millisecond and you realize it was hot after the fact, this was very different and the most scary thing that happened to me in 46 years.

So be careful at the sea, I know many people drown every year around the world, just never thought it could be me one day as I am a rather good swimmer, know not to go against the tide when it pulls you out to sea, and all that crap, but when your kid's life is at stake.
Keep your vacations happy and safe don't do stupid things and more important don't let your kids do them and put you in this kind of situation, we told him not to go deeper than breast level, but he didn't listen and put us both at risk.

Happy and safe holidays to you all

Tried to put photos to show where this happened, you see the waves and all, but it tells me TRF can't resize them...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:19 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Buy a lottery ticket.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:25 PM   #3
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Very lucky, glad you got to tell us the story. I have spent my life at the beach and know how quickly sand can shift and a rip develop. Stay safe
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:26 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

glad you are ok.

I have been caught in rip currents before myself and been pulled out.

Its hard to actually do in practice even when you know what you are supposed to do, but staying calm and swimming parallel to the shore until you get out of the current is really the only solution even if by the time you get out of it you are much further from the shore. You can never win by swimming against a rip current.

Its kind of like watching airplane safety videos. Everyone "knows" the procedure, but every video i have ever seen of an actual airplane evacuation on the tarmac is absolute chaos and no one actually does what the safety video they just watched told them to do.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:41 PM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Buy a lottery ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
Very lucky, glad you got to tell us the story. I have spent my life at the beach an know how quickly sand can shift and a rip develop. Stay safe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
glad you are ok.

I have been caught in rip currents before myself and been pulled out.

Its hard to actually do in practice even when you know what you are supposed to do, but staying calm and swimming parallel to the shore until you get out of the current is really the only solution even if by the time you get out of it you are much further from the shore. You can never win by swimming against a rip current.

Its kind of like watching airplane safety videos. Everyone "knows" the procedure, but every video i have ever seen of an actual airplane evacuation on the tarmac is absolute chaos and no one actually does what the safety video they just watched told them to do.
Thanks guys, I agree it's hard sometimes when you have a strong rip current, and I know what to do, like you say swim parallel to the shore, stay calm and don't panick, but when you have your kid holding on to you and forcing you under water, because he is panicking like crazy, is a totally different story, you can multiply the difficulty by at least 5, been caught in these before, it can be hard even when you know what to do, but it was never super hard, yesterday was crazy, not joking when I say we almost died, and it's your kid, what are you gonna do, push him away to save yourself? Of course not, you do the max you can...
Old 17 July 2017, 06:43 PM   #6
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
Wow, so glad your experience ended up like it did! I'm glad you are both safe. I bet your son wont soon forget the next time you guys tell him to not go out too far.

:-)
vitalsignsrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:50 PM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsignsrn View Post
Wow, so glad your experience ended up like it did! I'm glad you are both safe. I bet your son wont soon forget the next time you guys tell him to not go out too far.

:-)
Yeah that's for sure
Old 17 July 2017, 06:55 PM   #8
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Bloody hell...

As a relatively new parent myself reading your account made me feel sick.

So glad that it ended well. Go give your son a big hug!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 07:09 PM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Bloody hell...

As a relatively new parent myself reading your account made me feel sick.

So glad that it ended well. Go give your son a big hug!!!

Thanks, will do
And yes having small kids is a challenge of every moment, a second's lack of attention and a disaster can happen, even at home, no need for the sea for that...
Old 17 July 2017, 07:12 PM   #10
Morrisdog
"TRF" Member

Glad you are ok and thanks for taking the time to share your traumatic experience. It's a good reminder how we can take the sea for granted. I have a seven year old and we also spend a fair bit of time in the ocean during the summer months. So your story really resonated with me. Once again glad to hear you and your son are ok .

Morrisdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 07:12 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Thanks, will do
And yes having small kids is a challenge of every moment, a second's lack of attention and a disaster can happen, even at home, no need for the sea for that...
agree to that. They change the whole ballgame.

I haven't actually truly relaxed for over four years now. I probably never will be able to ever again, the same as before kids. not that it is a complaint, its not.
Old 17 July 2017, 08:02 PM   #12
KarlS
Banned

Damn i almost had 2 watches!!

That place is lethal....almost killed me Boxing Day 2004!!

Stick to the hotel swimming pool!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 08:31 PM   #13
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Wow kinda makes you reflect a bit on life

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 08:50 PM   #14
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
The important thing is that you and your son are okay and that he learns something from this without becoming too fearful of the sea. Glad you guys are safe!

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 08:53 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Glad everyone is ok.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 09:04 PM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
That's twice this year. You are lucky.

Same thing happened to my dad in outer banks nc but it involved a shark. Big waves he was surfing and a shark blocked him from getting to shore and his arms got tired. Life guard rescued him on jet ski but right before they took off into the waves life guard told my dad he was really scared.

Dad almost died a few other times.

At new river in West va white water rafting. Everyone got thrown from the boat down a 3 4 5 rapid except myself as I was in the front and held on for dear life. I actually pulled the 350 lb instructor back in the boat and I weight 140 lbs. Instructor looked me dead in the eyes and told me please don't let go.

North shore pipeline. Surfing in the summer. You know how that goes. Sliced his arm.

Many more near deaths for my pops too many to list and hijack your thread. Thankfully he made it through all.

Be well arnaud.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 09:36 PM   #17
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Wow, I know what you felt, my kids seven and nine dont realize when we are swimming they latch on to me and down I go, no matter how many times I tell them to not latch on to daddy or anyone for that matter when they are swimming, they still do that, especially when they panic, I cant imagine the horror you where going through in your head with waves etc...your lucky my man, thank god you survived it, I bet your son wont be venturing out alone against mommy and daddy wishes.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 09:52 PM   #18
nick c
Banned

Glad your guys are safe.🙏
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:02 PM   #19
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
So happy you and your son are safe! It is very scary when kids are involved. Nearly the same thing happened to me in a pool where I was trying to hold my two year old above the water line while my 5 year old hung on my neck, she was playing! I was very scared my son would drown.

Be careful and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Old 17 July 2017, 10:11 PM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Glad you are OK.

I am a very strong swimmer and I have been caught in the currents that definitely made me nervous. I was also tossed so hard to the beach once, that I dislocated my shoulder.

The ocean is nothing to be trifled with.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:16 PM   #21
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Wow Arnaud what a story. Gave me chills. I'm glad that this had a happy ending. Terrifying.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:30 PM   #22
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Being an Aussie surf is our thing 20 years back went out when the beach was closed at my local in Queenscliff for big swell as you do, could not get my wetsuit done up thought nothing of it and got stuck in a set of 10 x 2m+ waves......wetsuit acted like a shovel pushing me to the bottom, I managed to get enough respite between a set (with no breath left) to catch (body roll more the case) in on a set lay on the beach like a whale for 20 minutes trying to breath and then went home. Surf can be scary...... as for other near death my regular West coast east coast about 3-4 time s a year in late 90's early 00's was flight 11 as they say the rest is history.

2 bullets you have dodged this year, but if you are a survivor of boxing day in 04 in much of south east asia even better still, that is a winner on this post.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:33 PM   #23
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Wow, I'm so glad you both made it out of that alive and well! It's such a scary situation and certainly is a reminder to all when out in the Sea.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:49 PM   #24
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Happy to read it ended well
Old 17 July 2017, 10:56 PM   #25
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
This thread seems to have turned into a competition for near death experiences I think we are missing the point that it's about arnaud and his son. Very harrowing to read but glad you are both well. At least now you have a good example for future when he won't listen!!!

Ps which watch were you wearing at the time?
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 11:01 PM   #26
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Wow!!! Very scary. I'm one of the better swimmers in Ironman and know how hard it is with 3000 people in a mass start swimming over and kicking each other. I can't imagine trying to swim with someone grabbing on to your neck and panicking. Glad you're here to tell your story.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 11:02 PM   #27
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisdog View Post
Glad you are ok and thanks for taking the time to share your traumatic experience. It's a good reminder how we can take the sea for granted. I have a seven year old and we also spend a fair bit of time in the ocean during the summer months. So your story really resonated with me. Once again glad to hear you and your son are ok .

Thanks, and be careful with your son, it was crazy frightening, even if I stayed calm and held his arm when each wave hit for him not to get away and drown, after 5-7 minutes in my head I really thought this was the end for us. Stay safe

Quote:
agree to that. They change the whole ballgame.

I haven't actually truly relaxed for over four years now. I probably never will be able to ever again, the same as before kids. not that it is a complaint, its not.
I think until they are 25 you won't relax totally for your kids, even when they are 18-20, they can go out, drink and have a car crash, we still have 17 years to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Damn i almost had 2 watches!!

That place is lethal....almost killed me Boxing Day 2004!!

Stick to the hotel swimming pool!!
man it was one finger and 2 Voutis instead of one, that sucks . So you know the place? It was on Nai Harn Beach, Kata Karon is'also not bad, but when I swam there it wasn't so bad as yesterday, maybe it was the weather but it was basically like every other day since 10'days, just my kid went too far, got caught in the rip tide and I went after him. Alone I would have been fine, but my son changed totally the odds of the outcome, even if all are ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
Wow kinda makes you reflect a bit on life
Yep, sure does

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
The important thing is that you and your son are okay and that he learns something from this without becoming too fearful of the sea. Glad you guys are safe!

To know the future is to be trapped by it
Thanks, oh yeah, today he didn't go deeper than the waist line, I told him he could go a little further but he said no it's ok, he told me I could go further but to be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Glad everyone is ok.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
That's twice this year. You are lucky.

Same thing happened to my dad in outer banks nc but it involved a shark. Big waves he was surfing and a shark blocked him from getting to shore and his arms got tired. Life guard rescued him on jet ski but right before they took off into the waves life guard told my dad he was really scared.

Dad almost died a few other times.

At new river in West va white water rafting. Everyone got thrown from the boat down a 3 4 5 rapid except myself as I was in the front and held on for dear life. I actually pulled the 350 lb instructor back in the boat and I weight 140 lbs. Instructor looked me dead in the eyes and told me please don't let go.

North shore pipeline. Surfing in the summer. You know how that goes. Sliced his arm.

Many more near deaths for my pops too many to list and hijack your thread. Thankfully he made it through all.

Be well arnaud.
Oh I had quite a few near deaths myself, mostly on motor bikes, but it goes so fast that you realize after you allost died, here it's like "oh crap we are gonna die"
Yeah I knownsurfing in Hawaii, if you fall from the wave in front of it you have razor sharp coral and maybe a foot or less or water, when I surfed there and fell every time I was thinking am Ingoing to he sliced to pieces, but luckily no, only one day when I was doing body board a newbie surfer went straight into me, I turned myself to be under the water and the board on top, his fin sliced the plastic on my board for a good inch, had qinnot turned over he would have gutted me like a fish, and qi have a ton of others like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Wow, I know what you felt, my kids seven and nine dont realize when we are swimming they latch on to me and down I go, no matter how many times I tell them to not latch on to daddy or anyone for that matter when they are swimming, they still do that, especially when they panic, I cant imagine the horror you where going through in your head with waves etc...your lucky my man, thank god you survived it, I bet your son wont be venturing out alone against mommy and daddy wishes.
Like you say if you know how they do that in normal conditions imagine with a rip tide current and strong waves every 6-7 seconds, had to use force to stop my son's grip on my neck and get up for air, could barely take half a breath before the new wave and every time he was latching on to me and I was going down, a nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Glad your guys are safe.🙏
Thanks Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
So happy you and your son are safe! It is very scary when kids are involved. Nearly the same thing happened to me in a pool where I was trying to hold my two year old above the water line while my 5 year old hung on my neck, she was playing! I was very scared my son would drown.

Be careful and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Can imagine, but in the riptide with the waves and your son latching on to your neck and you almost incapable of breathing, crazy really, first time in my life where I really saw myself dying, and not in the most pleasing manner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Glad you are OK.

I am a very strong swimmer and I have been caught in the currents that definitely made me nervous. I was also tossed so hard to the beach once, that I dislocated my shoulder.

The ocean is nothing to be trifled with.
I am a normal swimmer, but I know what to do in case something happens, but when you can barely take half a breath between each wave because of your son panicking, is really difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Wow Arnaud what a story. Gave me chills. I'm glad that this had a happy ending. Terrifying.
Thanks, just hope it will remind everyone to be safe and very careful this summer, the ocean, mountains and other natural elements are really terrifying from time to time...
Old 17 July 2017, 11:05 PM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs View Post
This thread seems to have turned into a competition for near death experiences
thats a great idea for a thread. Its about the only one i haven't seen yet.

Yes,of course, everyone is happy Arnaud and his son are safe
Old 17 July 2017, 11:18 PM   #29
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs View Post
This thread seems to have turned into a competition for near death experiences I think we are missing the point that it's about arnaud and his son. Very harrowing to read but glad you are both well. At least now you have a good example for future when he won't listen!!!

Ps which watch were you wearing at the time?
I have no problem with others telling their stories, on the contrary, makes you feel not alone
Oh yeah next time he will have a sore butt but today he was very very careful, he went in the water but only to the belly button, I told him he could go a little deeper but he didn't want, he was really panicked yesterday, I didn't panick, stayed calm but really thought at one point that the end is near when I was too much out of oxygen...
No watch, I decided to not take any watch this time, last time after a few drinks, being a Harley rider for 25 years, I decided to drive cross style with the 125cm3, which ended in me scratching my BLNR bracelet, so decided this time to go naked watch wise this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Wow!!! Very scary. I'm one of the better swimmers in Ironman and know how hard it is with 3000 people in a mass start swimming over and kicking each other. I can't imagine trying to swim with someone grabbing on to your neck and panicking. Glad you're here to tell your story.
Well basically you can't swim or even do anything, just to come up'for air I had to forcefully detach his arms from my neck, take half a breath until the next wave, holding his arm to not loose him, and after each wave again he was on my neck, I was totally paralyzed by him, couldn't do anything, 2-3 more minutes and we, I especially, was done for, God I was happy to see the life guard send his floating device, and finally put my son on it, from there I finally was able to breath normally, made it half way to the beach by myself, but was exhausted and out of breath, was really happy to see another life guard who was standing in the water give me his hand, which I grabbed thankfully, another came and they halped me walk back to the beach, would have been able to do it on my own, but the hel 'was welcomed, once I got on the beach I fell on my back and lied there for a good 3-5 minutes trying to normalize my breath. It's really the scariest thing, and by far, which happened to me, and had a few quite scary but which were quick and ended mostly well
Old 17 July 2017, 11:21 PM   #30
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thats a great idea for a thread. Its about the only one i haven't seen yet.

Yes,of course, everyone is happy Arnaud and his son are safe
Yeah I think that would be a great thread, but don't hesitate to post on this one, I told the story, am thankful for the kind words, but would love to hear others' stories as well, and not only in the sea, avalanches, earthquakes, tsunamis and others are welcomed here