The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2017, 01:10 AM   #31
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Here's a quote from another forum long ago, whose author I can neither remember nor find, but which is nevertheless worth repeating, IMO.

"Think about it. Although the tech is newer, the quartz and kenetics still use a simple bit of stone from the ground to maintain accuracy. A small bit of voltage is shoved through a bit of quartz from "Mother Earth" and an oscilation is produced that is so reliably precise that it is used for timing devices. Essentially, the REAL timepiece IS THE QUARTZ CRYSTAL, not the movement that is constructed around it. And the quartz crystal is not even man made. It was produced in nature, but the hand of God, or in whatever manner you prefer to believe quartz is produced in the earth. :-) It is almost a microcosmic version of what goes on in the universe around us. The planets circle the sun and the sun and all the other sons circle the galactic center...etc... and unless that process is disturbed somehow ... the entire thing keeps perfect time and it wasn't even man-made. You can't deny that there is a certain elegance and beauty in the process. :-) and there is a definite irony in using a small bit of this grand universal process on your wrist to tell time."

^^^ this is poetry.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:46 AM   #32
stillsane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680, 214270, BLNR
I have a 10 year old Seiko and set my watches by it. Although it get little wrist time since I discovered the joys of wearing a Rolex.
stillsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:37 AM   #33
trebor
"TRF" Member

I rotate my YG Oysterquartz Day/Date, and Oysterquartz Datejust, along with my YG Submariner and my YG Day/Date.
More fun than just fooling around with just on 'timekeeper'.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 05:41 AM   #34
V10K
"TRF" Member

I agree. I wish I could fall in love with some other Rolex models to rotate into my lineup. I prefer bright white dials and OQ bracelets (all the other bracelets seem to overdone and not as sleek/comfortable from appearance).

Since I started wearing Rolex, my other watches have lost their allure. My beloved SS Cartier Tank Solo XL that used to feel sleek and comfortable on my wrist has been left untouched. My Rados have become my work out watch. I think I prefer a heavy watch, maybe thats why everyone prefers automatics over quartz? Because of the heft?
V10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 10:47 AM   #35
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by V10K View Post
I have been pretty close to buying a polar explorer ii, last month I was really liking the dial. For some reason don't feel that way now. I like my Rolex to eschew class, dignity and elegance which to me means the DJ 36mm.
Did you mean to say exude?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:13 PM   #36
V10K
"TRF" Member

yes, sorry was typing too fast and not thinking.
Old 23 July 2017, 05:56 PM   #37
RolexComplex
"TRF" Member

I don't set/check my watch every few days. I basically wear and go. If it loses/gains a few seconds a day, I'm not concerned. I rotate to a different Rolex every few weeks. When I go back to one I haven't worn in a bit, it takes a couple of minutes to set/wind. And I enjoy the 2 minutes I spend with the watch -- not a hassle at all.

Wear what you like. if you don't appreciate an automatic watch, or find setting it a hassle, stick with the Quartz.
RolexComplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 03:52 AM   #38
V10K
"TRF" Member

Dumb question but what is the power reserve on a vintage DJ 36mm before they started writing Rolex all around by the bezel?
Old 24 July 2017, 04:15 AM   #39
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
I am 100% quartz and proud of it. Four models and counting (all different brands too). For me it's a point of pride, they all keep perfect (okay, well near perfect) time and I never have to worry about resetting the time. Battery life ok the OQ is also excellent.

I wouldn't take my Rolex, or any brand, any other way!
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 05:40 AM   #40
V10K
"TRF" Member

I'm a quartz person too but open to automatics that are truly elegant or gorgeous. I think the OQ DJ is preferable to an automatic DJ (same dials) but I prefer the OQ bracelet ALOT more. Let's see when I get this OQ Jubilee bracelet.

Other than my 2 OQ, I haven't found any other watches that inspire me. I tried very hard to fall in love with grand seikos but they seem soo haphazardly designed by them pumping out too many models and no real vision. Also, too many sub-brands: Dolce, GS, Credor, etc - I still can't figure out what each one stands for. Also, I like the robustness of the OQ. It has a timeless quality. I tried looking at AP Royal Oak, but to me in 2017 it seems like an uglier version of the OQ (I imagine it was opposite back in 1970s). What saves the OQ to me is the modern dials done in final years of production. I don't see it being a vintage watch with the right dial, even though it is considered one. Nor does it come off as being 1970s to me, it comes off a bit angular but modern.
Old 24 July 2017, 06:30 PM   #41
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Well I am obviously not 100% quartz but I am waiting for my sapphire case back to arrive so I can look at this amazing escapement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (233.6 KB, 88 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:01 PM   #42
V10K
"TRF" Member

I ordered a second one two days ago to put on my second OQ. It is a nice product but does raise the height of the watch by ~1mm I think.
Old 24 July 2017, 11:17 PM   #43
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think the allure of the OysterQuartz vs. an automatic is similar to the allure of an electric car vs. an internal combustion engine. One is quieter/more efficient/more stable/etc. and one is more old school/visceral/etc.

When I got my first Rolex in 1985, I wanted to get an automatic because I felt that was what Rolex was and what you buy them for. I'm glad i did, but everyone has their own priorities and what attracts one person may not attract someone else.
Old 24 July 2017, 11:57 PM   #44
V10K
"TRF" Member

You are probably right with that example. Rolex is definitely more about the automatic movements. I think I might have preferred them as well if the bracelets had been more of my style. I love the flat bracelet of the 17000 OQ, will see if I like the jubilee of the OQ later today.
Old 25 July 2017, 01:17 PM   #45
V10K
"TRF" Member

OysterQuartz Heaven:
17014 vs 17000
Buckley Dial vs Roman Dial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1rsz_1oq_battle.jpg (69.4 KB, 298 views)
Old 17 October 2017, 05:57 AM   #46
turella
"TRF" Member

Oysterquartz - put the watch close to your ear and you can hear his soul ticking every second: TIC TAC TIC TAC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
A crystal vibrating naturally has no soul, but a metal mainspring and balance wheel does?

An OQ is hybrid quartz/mechanical. It's not a casio. The movement has 11 jewels, and was five years in dvelopment. I expect parts will be around for many years to come. They are fine watches.
turella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 07:48 AM   #47
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I've come to prefer mechanical to quartz, something I thought would never happen after my first experience with quartz nearly 50 years ago, but I don't spend time trying to convince myself that either one has a soul.

It's all a matter of preference and both have their pluses and minuses.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 01:05 PM   #48
cjbiv
"TRF" Member

Watch: 17013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridor View Post
A mechanical watch has a soul ... a quartz watch does not.
I demur.
cjbiv is offline   Reply With Quote