The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

16233 Datejust- setting the date- problem!

I wonder if I broke the mechanism for changing the date. It won't change when turning counter, as it should. The date changes when turning clockwise. I understand that on women's watches it works that way, clockwise.

I changed the date earlier today. I know you are not supposed to change the date between 10 and 2, as it starts to engage in the changing process itself. I was mixed up and didn't know what today's date was. And I did so at 1. I don't know if the watch was correctly set for AM or PM. I would imagine the rules apply to AM, when the date is changing.

But if I broke it, I don't think it would change from counter clockwise to clockwise. That would seem odd. Any experience with this? I'll get it to my shop tomorrow.
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:38 PM   #2
tamiya
"TRF" Member

It's a Jump Date isn't it? Shouldn't turn it backwards, but imho they're usually tolerant of such user-abuse unless you're super unlucky.

I'd just leave it & let it run for 2-3d, these odd issues often sort themselves out.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Why shouldn't you turn it backwards?

Why is that user abuse?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Hawaii2017
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36mm ref. 16233
Pull he crown all the way out last position and see if it changes as you wind the hands hours/minutes to engage the mechanism and change the date once you reach closer to the 12 o' clock position thus changing the date along way instead of the auto just middle position.
Hawaii2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii2017 View Post
Pull he crown all the way out last position and see if it changes as you wind the hands hours/minutes to engage the mechanism and change the date once you reach closer to the 12 o' clock position thus changing the date along way instead of the auto just middle position.
Yes, the date changed that way, last position, changing the time past midnight. Does that mean the date changing mechanism is working correctly?

I changed the date earlier today. it's a long dumb story, but I basically didn't know the date, and changed it. Turns out, the date was correct in the first place.

That was at 1 PM and I'm pretty sure the watch was set correctly. I bought this watch a few weeks ago, July 1. I got it from a guy who runs a little repair shop and sells mostly inexpensive watches. But he has been great for me with repairs, though I haven't done anything major with him. He's fine tuned the accuracy on my sub. He's also been lovely and very cheap. His shop is humble, a booth in Queens, NYC, Chinatown. I hate the idea of having a problem with him, like on refund. His english is not the best, but he knows his stuff, at least I feel he does. He also has another nice DJ that I was thinking of buying and I know he will trade. But now I've grown to like this one. It's a U serial number. Fairly clean. Very accurate, good power reserve.

I am pretty sure I changed it correctly, by turning the crown counter clockwise in the second detent. So I changed the date to the wrong date, realized it later and then discovered the date didn't change and I freaked! I discovered it changes when turning the crown clockwise. That is of course not right.

It was 1 PM when I changed the date.

I've read differing opinions here, some say you can't break the mechanism, and it doesn't matter what the time is when you change the date. I have read though that the date must not be changed between 10 and 2.

So my question is, to make it more succinct is: could I have broken the mechanism by changing the date at what I THINK was 1 PM? (not sure if my watch was in the AM or PM mode).

And: if broken, would it manifest itself by working in reverse, with the date changing by turning the crown clockwise?

Hope I didn't over explain and confuse, and make it hard to follow! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender copy.jpg (121.4 KB, 141 views)
Old 23 July 2017, 03:14 PM   #6
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

I read that womens models change when turned clockwise. Now, to get crazy paranoid, is there anyway that maybe somewhere along the line a womens movement was put in the watch? Anyway, I hope to visit the shop tomorrow to discuss.
Old 23 July 2017, 06:05 PM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
I read that womens models change when turned clockwise. Now, to get crazy paranoid, is there anyway that maybe somewhere along the line a womens movement was put in the watch? Anyway, I hope to visit the shop tomorrow to discuss.
Have you asked your wife if she did it?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Have you asked your wife if she did it?
now why didn't I think of that
Old 25 July 2017, 02:37 PM   #9
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

a few members were nice enough to contact me personally and indeed, it is a clockwise turn of the crown that advances the date (in the first "pull out" position, not the last position for adjusting the time). I found mention of this elsewhere too.

It's funny, but several posts I have seen said it is counter clockwise for men and clockwise for women. I believe that is incorrect.
Old 26 July 2017, 02:42 AM   #10
Hawaii2017
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36mm ref. 16233
How do you change the date on a Rolex Datejust watch?

Rolex Quickset Date/Datejust

1.Wind the watch.
2.To change the date, pull the crown out to the first notch. If adjusting a men's watch, twist the crown clockwise, and twist counter-clockwise for a ladies' watch.
3.Move the crown out to the last position to change the time on the Rolex watch.
Hawaii2017 is offline   Reply With Quote