The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 25 April 2017, 08:25 AM   #1
Tommyk
"TRF" Member

Did I buy a Panerai for the right reasons? And Review..

Good day TRF members, I thought I would first introduce myself informally as i have been lingering as spectator for years and then joined the forum not too long ago. I wanted to document my thought process and decision on why I choose to pull the trigger on a Panerai. I purchased it over a year ago and In my quest I always found posts helpful when people were doing a long term review and thought I would share my findings.

I know the title of my thread is a personal questions however there might be other out there who are facing similar questions. Even though this is a sub category in a Rolex forum, I personally prefer this network and the people much more than the Paneristi and watchuseek forums. shhh don't tell them that

I've own the watch for a while and have had various other watches, Rolex Date-just, Tag Heuer, Tourneau, and some beaters.

The reasons why I chose a Panerai were for the following.

1. The simple and classic design
2. The size of the watch
3. Less in the wild
4. Value for money (build quality)
5. Versatility of style
6. Straps

Since I believe watches are personal I'll share a little about myself. I'm in my mid-20's and currently finishing up the last of my business degree. I worked in Medical sales, Mercedes-Benz, and in real estate and was almost always wearing a suit or business casual. Im 6'1 210 pounds and was athletic a few year ago and still have thick wrist at just a tick under 8 inches.

I wanted something that was great quality, ( I know Panerai isn't at the top, I've worn friends AP, A. Lange, Patek where you and just feel the quality differences) but I also wanted something subtly less know. I know 90% of people would not call a Panerai subtle but on my big wrist it blends in more than on some. I grew up in Newport Beach, California where everyone has a Rolex and at the time I just felt the need to be different. I didn't want to be judged a certain way since everyone knows what model Rolex is what. Resale value was somewhat important but I believe that if you know the market well enough then the numbers won't shock you later.

Im the kind of person where I actually don't like to own several watches, I could but it is just a personal preference at the moment.

I had a couple friends who had some Panerai's and they always caught my eye as something different but still classy.

in the end I ended up choosing the Pam 104.

I chose it because it was a Luminor, had a modified Valjoux 7750 automatic movement, had a deployment clasp, and a date function.

Now I know for many modified moments are not a plus, the reason I wanted it was because I did not want to have to ever deal with Panerai in Texas. I just heard more negatives than positives from friends and clients. Then hearing stories on the forum confirmed it in my mind as something too much for me. Deployment was a plus because I actually lost my Tag Heuer due to the pin falling out of the SS band. Finally, the automatic and date was important because that is something I will reference at least 2 times a day and I just don't enjoy winding watches.

The 104 might not be on the highly desired list by enthusiasts but it hit my criteria nearly perfectly and seamed to be a good watch for daily use. It has also been fun meeting people in public who will come up to you and want to show their Panerai or who will stop you and say they have the same one in their safe at home.

I do enjoy the polished case. At first I was hesitant but once I found out about Cape Cod polishing cloths everything has been great.

The things I don't like about the watch: None

Things I'm impartial about:
The cyclops, its something that is very unique and enjoy it being under the glass, it actually does help however it can make the dial look busy but it's not a minus though.
It would be nice to have a transparent caseback but its not a deal breaker. When I had the watches overhauled by my watch tech he sent me photos and showed it to me in person and that got my itching out of the way.

The watches I was on the fence on getting were the Rolex Explorer II, JLC Reverso grande talle, IWC Pilot chrono and the Omega Planet ocean co-axial.

I know I said that I am a 1 watch kind of person. At some point later in my life I will buy a JLC Reverso. Its not something I would or could wear often because its not practical to me on a daily basis but I am a big fan of old world styling and partially why I like Panerai.

I just want to take a moment to thank everyone on the forum for their interest, knowledge and participation in making it a great place to spend time.

Ok for the fun part.....
Over the past 2 years I've matured more and feel like it would be more age appropriate to possibly consider a Rolex again. Or would anyone say just enjoy the Panerai?
I'm open to all feedback.
I like the Date-just II however its just not the watch I see myself wearing at the moment. I love the Milgauss, but at 40mm it just looks small. I may do a GMT at some point but I'm just not in love with it ATM.
The submariner is an amazing watch, however my father has one and I just don't want to have the same as him.
This always brings me back to the Explore II such as a 16570 with black dial.

Thank again and here are some photos I have.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6516.jpg (163.0 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6517.jpg (152.3 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6520.jpg (104.8 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6521.jpg (116.2 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6527.jpg (95.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5813.jpg (88.1 KB, 254 views)
Tommyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 08:31 AM   #2
ChronGo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167A
I own several panerais and several rolexes. I enjoy them both equally for different reasons. No such thing is maturing to a Rolex imo. I didn't own a panerai until my 30s.... well after I had bought and sold a few Rolexes. Wear what you love. Period! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 April 2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 11:21 AM   #4
nick c
Banned

Nicely said and a great choice congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 11:26 AM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very nice
Old 25 April 2017, 12:28 PM   #6
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Congratulations. Panerai and rolexes can easily coexist as a part of your collection.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 12:48 PM   #7
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Congrats, and great post! Thanks for sharing your story.

I'd say you chose the perfect Pam for you, and it looks awesome!

Regarding "maturing" into Rolex ownership - I've worn Rolexes since my early 20's but just got my first Panerai this year at the age of 42...so I guess I matured into Panerai ownership!

Congrats again, and enjoy!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 01:19 PM   #8
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Nice write up. The PAM looks great on your wrist.
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Nice post and a great model choice.

An 8" wrist needs a watch with presence.

One small correction fyi: deployant clasp.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great post! I enjoyed reading your journey, thanks for sharing.

I think the 104 is a great choice, and think the inverted cyclops nicely balances the small seconds hand disk. The quick strap change buttons also are a plus.

Personally, I believe there's room for Rolex and Panerai in a collection, and love switching from my 164 (a brother of your 104) to my 116610LV.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 04:15 PM   #11
Tommyk
"TRF" Member

th

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCollector4 View Post
I own several panerais and several rolexes. I enjoy them both equally for different reasons. No such thing is maturing to a Rolex imo. I didn't own a panerai until my 30s.... well after I had bought and sold a few Rolexes. Wear what you love. Period! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I agree and that is what is so special about watches since they are with you through the journey of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
Congrats
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Nicely said and a great choice congratulations
Much appreciated! always good to hear feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Very nice
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post
Congratulations. Panerai and rolexes can easily coexist as a part of your collection.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I think that is the direction that will end up taking place. Even though I know they actually do have some history together their characteristics do complement each other well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Congrats, and great post! Thanks for sharing your story.

I'd say you chose the perfect Pam for you, and it looks awesome!

Regarding "maturing" into Rolex ownership - I've worn Rolexes since my early 20's but just got my first Panerai this year at the age of 42...so I guess I matured into Panerai ownership!

Congrats again, and enjoy!
Thank you, haha that is a very good comparison.
As I was getting to know the brand, a lot of my peers who knew the brand but never owned one could only think of Panerai as "Rambo's watch". It got stuck in my head as a brand wanting to be macho and cool. As I got to know the product better it really wasn't the case. So in that regard I think thats where I subconsciously see Rolex as a very traditional, quaint and timelessly sophisticated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnub View Post
Nice write up. The PAM looks great on your wrist.
Much appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Nice post and a great model choice.

An 8" wrist needs a watch with presence.

One small correction fyi: deployant clasp.
Thanks good catch! I knew i would make a good like that in my efforts not to error.
Over the past year I have to agree with you. I was intimidated at first with the size, worrying it would be too big or loud. It has been neither of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Great post! I enjoyed reading your journey, thanks for sharing.

I think the 104 is a great choice, and think the inverted cyclops nicely balances the small seconds hand disk. The quick strap change buttons also are a plus.

Personally, I believe there's room for Rolex and Panerai in a collection, and love switching from my 164 (a brother of your 104) to my 116610LV.
Yes! The quick strap is very convenient, 2 minutes strap changes is so nice. I have aways enjoyed the 164, Its one that I haven't seen yet in person. Which is one of the traits that is fun about Panerai. I one of those people who will see a car drive by and mentally call out what it is. I do the same thing with watches but try not to look to obvious doing it however.
But I agree, its probably inevitable. I know if I part with the Pam I would feel guilty and want one again.
Tommyk is offline   Reply With Quote