The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 May 2017, 10:34 PM   #31
Gbahri
"TRF" Member

The AD called me with the quote from the RSC. I'm gonna find out which one it was sent to and call them directly. That's how the AD told me it worked before I sent it. He said they send it in for me and call me with the quote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gbahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 10:35 PM   #32
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 11:33 PM   #33
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I'd be surprised if some unscrupulous employee is swapping SS Rolex links for counterfeit ones when the RSC price of a link is only $60. On a precious metal link? Maybe. There's likely a big difference between a platinum plated or gold plated link and a solid one in terms of price. But subbing a fake $60 part? I kinda doubt it.

I do wonder if the wear differences between a ten year old bracelet and a newly installed link caused the RSC to misinterpret what it had. So I would make sure that RSC is sure the link is counterfeit. Then, I'd have a long hard talk with the two store managers at the ADs in question.
Old 29 May 2017, 11:58 PM   #34
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
I was just going to post and then I saw what Chiboy said. My thoughts exactly.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 12:01 AM   #35
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I never give my watches to the AD after the sale.
There needs to be a set of personal rules that we all follow to avoid many detrimental issues.

The above is an example of one...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 12:10 AM   #36
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Let RSC fix it. Let mayors pay. Find another AD.
Old 30 May 2017, 12:17 AM   #37
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I bought my 16610 from Mayor's 25 years ago so they have been in business at least that long and honestly for as long as I can remember growing up in Miami. They are known to be quite reputable. It's getting taken care of and I guess as long as the RSC didn't find any other issues, you should be good to go. I'm in the camp that the RSC may have mis-interpreted the difference in wear of the newly installed link as a counterfeit.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 12:19 AM   #38
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Without seeing the actual service estimate from RSC we're just guessing.

It's just as likely that somebody saw the new link that looked different from the rest and made an assumption.
That's the first thing that came to my mind.
I think there's a bit of paranoia here..

Old 30 May 2017, 12:38 AM   #39
bobby81
"TRF" Member

I see a lot of you say skip the AD & go straight to the RSC but what if there isn't a RSC in your Country. I haven't had any problems with my Watches yet but when I need to leave them in for a service I have to depend on an AD in my City who I didn't purchase the Watches off in the first place. My only alternative is to send them to an RSC in the UK at a considerable charge. What advice would you give
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 12:47 AM   #40
116500LN
Banned

Am I the only one that thinks it's silly to drive all the way to the AD and leave them the watch a few days to add a link when you could have just gotten a pair of glasses, some Loctite, and a proper 1.8mm flathead screwdriver and done it yourself? It would only take 5 mins.

But yes, that is screwed up if this AD did switch out the link. Another possibility is if they put the wrong link in the box after adjusting it 10 years ago. Either way, this AD seems at fault.
116500LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 09:46 AM   #41
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Forget AD's, except for Rolex boutiques, for service. Send it directly to NYC or Dallas.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 10:32 AM   #42
TuckerHorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126000, 11623
Dude you gotta make sure this AD gets busted, this is some BS
TuckerHorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 10:45 AM   #43
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbahri View Post
Hello all, So i had this incident when I sent my rolex to the offical rsc for service since I have had it for 10 years and never serviced it. I am a lurker here but this incident made me sign up and post.

Originally I bought my rolex at a national AD brand new 10 years ago. I recently went to the same AD (but different city from original purchase since I have moved) to add a link since I have gained a few pounds in the past 10 years and the watch was getting a little tight. I gave them the extra link that was removed from my watch when it was first sized when I bought it 10 years ago. They told me their watchmaker is only there 2 days out of the week, so I left it with them and came back a week later after the link was added. Tried on the watch, it fit perfectly and then decided, that I should just send the rolex in for service since its never been serviced in 10 years.

Fast forward 4 weeks later I get a call for the repair prices from my AD and one of them is $60 to change a link that is not an official rolex link on the watch. Now I have never given this watch to anyone except for this one time to add a link. I explained this to the AD who is the same gentlemen that I spoke with when I brought it to add the link, he responded that he would not know how that would happen but said he will do me a favor and will cover the cost of the new link.

I have a feeling they didn't add the link I gave them, gave me a non official rolex link that looks similar and now got caught and are trying to cover themselves by just paying for it. What do you guys think? I don't care about the $60 dollars, what I worry about more is now I feel like I can not trust that AD anymore. Thoughts??

regardless of the plausible reason for the link being switched (or whatever), the fact is they looked after you by paying for the link and now they know you have them on radar... which typically means you're now a VIP who needs to be swayed back in their good books.

i would forget what happened and continue to use this AD for absolutely all rolex needs. just mention, as a professional courtesy, that they should call past service clients to confirm they're satisfied and haven't had similar issues as yours. the fact they have a 2dpw tech could mean the tech is a journeyman contractor and not an actual employee of theirs.

enjoy the watch and your summer.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 12:28 PM   #44
westsideclock
"TRF" Member

There is no way that Mayors would put a fake on your watch. My guess is that some heads are going to fly at the location where you got the link changed. If the watchmaker did this, my guess is that he is going to have a major problem. If the salesman, same thing. I am not a huge fan of Mayors, because in general, they don't offer much of a discount on Rolex at all, but they are top notch as an AD. Service is excellent and they have all the models, or will what you want quickly. I have little doubt, if you are a long time and good customer at Mayors, you can get the hard to get stuff quick. When I was in there asking about a Daytona, the wait time was reasonable.
westsideclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 12:29 AM   #45
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's just as likely that somebody saw the new link that looked different from the rest and made an assumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I do wonder if the wear differences between a ten year old bracelet and a newly installed link caused the RSC to misinterpret what it had.
Ditto to both.

I think many people on this forum are a little too quick to assume negligence and theft, dishonesty and deception from dealers and others.

Or maybe it's just our society in general these days?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 01:56 AM   #46
Gbahri
"TRF" Member

So I called Rolex and gave them my serial number, was put on hold and the gentleman looked up watch. I explained to him my story and he did say that it was very weird and should not happen. I did ask him if it was possible that the new link may have confused someone and he did say possibly. Either way he asked for a copy of my original warranty card and said he's going to look at the information from when I originally bought the watch to see if the A.D. that I bought it from put in the system that they gave me an extra link and start from there. Just FYI for anyone else he did say that he is unable to give me the exact price quote or send me back to watch directly since I went through an authorized dealer everything has to go through them. Knowing that now I don't think I will ever go through an authorized dealer to send my watch for service again

Old 31 May 2017, 01:58 AM   #47
Gbahri
"TRF" Member

By the way he also did say that it was very interesting that the dealer offered to pay for the link right away no questions asked. Who knows, At this point I just want my watch back

Old 31 May 2017, 02:02 AM   #48
Gbahri
"TRF" Member

Well mayors just called me and said they got a call from Rolex wanting my warranty information, ( since I emailed it to mayors to send to Rolex this morning) the guy I have been dealing with assured me they will cover the link and will speak to Rolex about the matter. Well whatever happens now I think I will be treated fairly for all future purchases as now Rolex has contacted the dealer about this issue, just 10 minutes after I spoke with them!

Old 31 May 2017, 05:09 PM   #49
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbahri View Post
Well mayors just called me and said they got a call from Rolex wanting my warranty information, ( since I emailed it to mayors to send to Rolex this morning) the guy I have been dealing with assured me they will cover the link and will speak to Rolex about the matter. Well whatever happens now I think I will be treated fairly for all future purchases as now Rolex has contacted the dealer about this issue, just 10 minutes after I spoke with them!

Good luck! I look forward to the rest of the saga.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 01:44 AM   #50
OpusXIII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, Hulk, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyShops718 View Post
I would learn to change my own link. I don't like to leave my jewelry, watch, car and whatever else out of my site unless I have too.
This x1000.
Old 2 June 2017, 01:49 AM   #51
Juantxo
Banned

An AD is not a RSC.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote