The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 November 2023, 08:24 AM   #1
sm84
"TRF" Member

Customs Laws, Travelling Internationally, and Insurance

Hi folks,

I could use some help and advice regarding travelling internationally, how to deal with customs and also suggestions for any watch insurance (only standalone) if you guys already use one. I also would like to know if you can recommend any standalone insurance (not the homeowners, riders, or personal articles floaters type) for other valuable items like cameras, eyewear etc.

I'd like to carry a YG Rolex with me internationally outside the US. The watch was purchased in the US.

1. Do I need to declare with US customs before I leave the country?
2. Do I need to declare when I enter back into the US?
3. Does anyone know the approximate cost to insure such a watch?

I am planning to visit Jamaica and also India this year and I was wondering if anyone over here has any first hand experience travelling to these countries with a high value PM watch, what the specific customs laws for these countries are, and if you have any official source that I could refer to w.r.t carrying precious items, jewellery etc?

I saw this article on Bob's watches and since then I've been a bit anxious
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...er-border.html

I am not sure if the guy in the article got fined because he bought a watch while travelling and then failed to declare upon re-entry or if he was fined because he didn't declare each time he went wearing that watch.

As much info and help on this matter could help me a lot. Thanks.
sm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 09:18 AM   #2
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

I dont think you have a customs issue, just an insurance issue i cant answer. My contents policy covers my valuables worldwide.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 09:39 AM   #3
Rollei35
"TRF" Member

just wear a g-shock or Apple Watch
Old 24 November 2023, 09:44 AM   #4
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Generally an appraisal, receipt of purchase, or even a date imprinted photograph of you wearing the watch should be sufficient. The most secure way, if one is near a customs office, is to obtain a Form 4457, including the serial number of the watch, and signed by a customs officer. That can be presented on return to the US with no problems at all. Even though it’s a US form, I have found it is quite sufficient in other countries as well.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 09:48 AM   #5
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

The easiest thing is to not bring it. I went to Jamaica last year and there is no freaking way I would wear my YG DD there.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 09:54 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you are a bit anxious, just leave the watch home and enjoy your trip worry free. My rule of thumb is never take anything you cannot just throw away and easily replace in the future if you want to.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 10:49 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

For insurance, a Personal Articles Policy can be added to your Homeowners to cover the watch.

For travel, wear it as you depart and pick up a form as you leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 11:58 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Customs will not likely say anything about your watch; I've traveled the world with a Rolex and never even been asked about my watch. Now, if you act the fool and have other tell-tale signs of anything odd the chances go up.

Insurance is up to you, but you may be hard pressed to find a policy that pays when you go out of country or to a listed country.
Old 24 November 2023, 12:07 PM   #9
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm84 View Post
Hi folks,

I could use some help and advice regarding travelling internationally, how to deal with customs and also suggestions for any watch insurance (only standalone) if you guys already use one. I also would like to know if you can recommend any standalone insurance (not the homeowners, riders, or personal articles floaters type) for other valuable items like cameras, eyewear etc.

I'd like to carry a YG Rolex with me internationally outside the US. The watch was purchased in the US.

1. Do I need to declare with US customs before I leave the country?
2. Do I need to declare when I enter back into the US?
3. Does anyone know the approximate cost to insure such a watch?

I am planning to visit Jamaica and also India this year and I was wondering if anyone over here has any first hand experience travelling to these countries with a high value PM watch, what the specific customs laws for these countries are, and if you have any official source that I could refer to w.r.t carrying precious items, jewellery etc?

I saw this article on Bob's watches and since then I've been a bit anxious
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...er-border.html

I am not sure if the guy in the article got fined because he bought a watch while travelling and then failed to declare upon re-entry or if he was fined because he didn't declare each time he went wearing that watch.

As much info and help on this matter could help me a lot. Thanks.
I don't think you have any issues with customs. However, I would double check what your coverage is outside the US.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 12:20 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I always travel with digital copies of my receipt, warranty card and picture of the watch I’m wearing
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 07:27 PM   #11
Rollydude
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, YM40
1. General rule for insurance is 1-1.5% of insured value depending on where you live. Make sure you get the replacement value and not original value. Wax by Chubb was a good option for me

2. Once you have above you have automatic proof (has details when it was insured on the app) to show customs.

3. Both India and Jamaica are ok unless you plan to travel off the beaten path. Usually under a full sleeve is best though. YG can attract unnecessary attention.
Rollydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 01:09 AM   #12
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I always travel with digital copies of my receipt, warranty card and picture of the watch I’m wearing
I do the same, just to get out of Costco
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 01:27 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I do the same, just to get out of Costco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 03:31 AM   #14
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Generally an appraisal, receipt of purchase, or even a date imprinted photograph of you wearing the watch should be sufficient. The most secure way, if one is near a customs office, is to obtain a Form 4457, including the serial number of the watch, and signed by a customs officer. That can be presented on return to the US with no problems at all. Even though it’s a US form, I have found it is quite sufficient in other countries as well.
Thanks for this tip. I did this today. Very easy and one less thing to worry about.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 04:08 AM   #15
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I went to Jamaica recently and wore a yg DD and took a yg RO also. I keep digital copies of receipts on me. Same with my wife’s jewelry that she takes. We won’t travel with is exotic skins (bags etc).
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 01:37 AM   #16
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Professional pilot here - maybe I can help.

1) I can’t speak specifically for the U.S. but generally you don’t need to declare anything on leaving a country, only on entering. Indeed, there is nobody to declare it to - you only have customs inbound!

2) The only time you need to declare anything inbound is if you have purchased it abroad, and it exceeds your duty free allowance. If you purchased your watch in the U.S. then no problem. You might, elect to carry a copy of your receipt in case of any queries, but I don’t know of anybody who does.

The case you copied the link to clearly refers to an item purchased abroad, so importing it without declaring it is called smuggling!

In my experience, by far the cheapest way to insure a watch for travel is to include that cover in an existing policy.

Personally, there is no way on earth that I would take a YG Rolex to Jamaica. If ever in doubt, convert the value of the watch into the number of months or years wages at the local rate, then ask yourself if you would be happy walking round a U.S. city with a watch worth 2 or 3 years of the average wage?

The best source of travel advice I’ve ever found is the British FCO. The advice is written by people based locally and in my experience is bang on, being neither over cautious or over stated. Their advice is that the motive for most attacks is robbery, and not go wear eye catching jewellery, but read it for yourself.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security

I probably wouldn’t take that watch to India either. Although much safer, there is still much poverty, and Indian customs can be very bureaucratic.

Although I generally prefer a reasonable watch when travelling, unless I’m staying within the U.K. or northern Europe I don’t take anything too valuable. Generally something “mid price” such as my well used Orfina or my Tudor Black Bay 36. If I’m going somewhere I consider risky - South Africa, much of South America, and in all honesty Jamaica, then I take something inexpensive. You don’t need to go Swatch - but a mid grade Seiko or somesuch is perfect.
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 05:36 AM   #17
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
In general you should do a temporary export followed by a temporary import into the country you are visiting. You can also get an ATA Carnet that also lets you do the temporary import without paying customs, but not all countries are part the ATA.

Now, if you are travelling with basic stuff, this is not needed, but more than one expensive watch, you might be in some trouble if you haven't first done a temporary export from your country. If they suspect that you might sell your stuff while visiting, you will be hit with customs and VAT (80% and 16% for Brazil).

A temporary export is very simple and free here and when you come back you just show the export papers to customs. Receipts and photos are of no use if they suspect that you bought it while abroad since they do not show the serial number.

A temporary import is very different depending on what country you are visiting. Having temporary export papers helps a lot with that process. I have only done this when business travelling.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 10:11 PM   #18
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I am going on a cruise through South America later this month and always bring 2-3 Rolex and my wife brings 1-2. We insure through Hodinkee and only wear the Rolexes on the ship.
When ashore it’s a G-Shock. I don’t bring paperwork (Hodinkee site allows you to keep your watch info, including pics) and don’t declare anything I haven’t bought on the trip.

Never an issue…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs , insurance , international , yellow gold