The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 May 2017, 07:41 AM   #31
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeron View Post
I dropped by an AD last weekend to kill some time, try on whatever was new.

It was fun as always, but as I tried on and lovingly admired the Batman, my 114060 sitting on the felt tray in all its glory, the saleswoman said

"You know, if you're tired of your current Rolex you can include it in exchange for the GMT..."

First of all, I adore my Sub-C and will never sell it, ever.

Second, what are the implications behind her comment?

Third, she did not refer to my 114060 as what it is, she just said "your current Rolex".....which I think speaks to the general lack of knowledge that so many watch salespeople have.

Still a pleasant day, but not a behavior I'd include in the training manual for people in the profession.
From one fellow NY'er to another, you gotta chill out. AD is like going to a car dealership, if the salesperson said, "you can get a good trade price for your current vehicle." Would you get offended by that? Salesperson is only trying to close the deal. Your making a big deal out of nothing.
Old 29 May 2017, 07:42 AM   #32
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I think you are taking her comments too personally
Old 29 May 2017, 07:43 AM   #33
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Seems totally fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes......not sure what the problem was?
Old 29 May 2017, 07:46 AM   #34
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I would not have thought twice about what she said.
Old 29 May 2017, 07:47 AM   #35
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Yes......not sure what the problem was?
If I had to gander, the OP was offended because he thought salesperson assumed he could not afford to buy and retain two Rolex watches because of her trade in comment. He then went on to question the salesperson's overall watch knowledge because she could not recite the model designation 114060 Sub-C. Some people take things to personally for no reason what so ever. Go Figure.
Old 29 May 2017, 07:50 AM   #36
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanose82 View Post
I agree with others it's just sales 101 no disrespect, I would have done the same thing.
Exactly, the disrespect comes when you hear their price offer, ouch!
Old 29 May 2017, 07:52 AM   #37
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
If I had to gander, the OP was offended because he thought salesperson assumed he could not afford to buy and retain two Rolex watches because of her trade in comment. He then went on to question the salesperson's overall watch knowledge because she could not recite the model designation 114060 Sub-C.
Right, but she did not say, "If you don't like the price you can trade yours in."

Totally different implication there.

Where's the beef?
Old 29 May 2017, 07:55 AM   #38
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Where's the beef?
I know, that's my point. Your from NY as am I, this is totally a NY'er thing. Egoism at it's finest. Even if she did say, "If you don't like the price you can trade yours in." I still would not be offended by the comment, I would just say thank you, good day and leave. I know that if I'm at my own AD, I will be taken care of. It might not be DavidSW discounted price, but I would get some discount. But if you walk into an AD with no previous relationship, then your not going to get much in terms of discounts.
Old 29 May 2017, 07:57 AM   #39
JasonKrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
If I had to gander, the OP was offended because he thought salesperson assumed he could not afford to buy and retain two Rolex watches because of her trade in comment. He then went on to question the salesperson's overall watch knowledge because she could not recite the model designation 114060 Sub-C. Some people take things to personally for no reason what so ever. Go Figure.
I've had a Rolex on my wrist for 30 years.

Know the model no of one watch. And even that is a 'maybe' I might get it right. Unless I look it up.

I'm on my 20th Mercedes. If one goes to a hardcore Mercedes board. They also recite models and frame numbers. Something I am totally clueless about. But I am more knowledgeable than some salespeople. Actually, most salespeople when it comes to Mercedes. I don't hold it against them if they don't know something as minute as a frame no variation. Their job is to sell. Not drool over the vehicles they are trying to make a living off of.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:01 AM   #40
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonKrick View Post
I've had a Rolex on my wrist for 30 years.

Know the model no of one watch. And even that is a 'maybe' I might get it right. Unless I look it up.

I'm on my 20th Mercedes. If one goes to a hardcore Mercedes board. They also recite models and frame numbers. Something I am totally clueless about. But I am more knowledgeable than some salespeople. Actually, most salespeople when it comes to Mercedes. I don't hold it against them if they don't know something as minute as a Their job is to sell. Not drool over the vehicles they are trying to make a living off of.
Exactly my point, When I picked up my 5167, I said do you have a 5167, my AD didn't know what I was talking about until I said Aquanaut 40mm on rubber strap. Then I said when will you have a 5711/1A in? He again did not know what I'm talking about, I said Blue Dial Nautilus, he said if you leave a deposit, I could get one early 2018. Salespeople aren't required to recite model designations, just sell, sell, sell.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:07 AM   #41
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
what a story.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:13 AM   #42
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I see nothing wrong with her comment. Some people may be glad to have the option.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:14 AM   #43
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
I agree nothing offensive here.

Honestly most people only have one Rolex. It is not a reach to assume that if you are looking at others that maybe you wanted to change to something else.

I would look at sales people sideways if they referred to my watch by its model number honestly.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:18 AM   #44
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
I have to say, while I agree with the (overwhelming) consensus here, I feel a little bad for the OP. In looking at his history, he hasn't had the best posting success on TRF. Definitely hasn't found his groove yet.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:21 AM   #45
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No issue with me...she was offering you options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29 May 2017, 08:30 AM   #46
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Don't see a thing wrong here. She didn't denigrate your watch and she's trying to make a sale. All good.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:39 AM   #47
Jcy90
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & SUB
I'm not too sure what the problem is?
Old 29 May 2017, 08:39 AM   #48
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
It didn't work for you but she was just trying to get a sale. Sometimes people get bored of what they have and want something new. Nothing wrong with her making the suggestion imo.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:41 AM   #49
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

The AD didn't say anything out of line. It's just a Sub, she's not going to drool over it.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:42 AM   #50
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
saleswoman said"You know,if you're tired of your current Rolex you can include it in exchange for the GMT"
That's It ??? Did she say anything else?
Once there was a Chinese male sales assistant at a watch gallery who told me in crude English ( I was just looking at the Rolex watches via the glass display cabinet)
" Aiyah...Why-lah you buy Omega?No Resale Value.Not popular model.Next time buy Rolex easy to sell "

I was wearing my Spectre LE on the "Neyto" by the way.I smiled back and kept quiet. What the A$$h@££ didnt know was that the cheapest unworn Spectre on Chrono24 is worth much more than what I paid for it
Quote:
what are the implications behind her comment?
Well,I wouldn't exactly give her an A+ for Conversation Etiquette but It was just an innocent passing remark,she was bored and meant no harm.Next time buy her a slice of New York Cheesecake just for fun ( Why Should You?After the way she mistreated you! ) and 'watch' the transformation in her behaviour...

Old 29 May 2017, 08:44 AM   #51
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
I dropped by an AD last weekend to kill some time, try on whatever was new.

It was fun as always, but as I tried on and lovingly admired the Batman, my 114060 sitting on the felt tray in all its glory, the saleswoman said

"You know, if you're tired of your current Rolex you can include it in exchange for the GMT..."

First of all, I adore my Sub-C and will never sell it, ever.

Second, what are the implications behind her comment?

Third, she did not refer to my 114060 as what it is, she just said "your current Rolex".....which I think speaks to the general lack of knowledge that so many watch salespeople have.

Still a pleasant day, but not a behavior I'd include in the training manual for people in the profession.
Seriously? You, not her.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:51 AM   #52
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon10

I wouldn't have cared what she referred to my Sub as long as she made me a good deal...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 29 May 2017, 09:06 AM   #53
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Years ago I walked into an AD and just for fun asked if they had a Milgauss GV (in the days when it was difficult to find). They did, and I tried it on, even though I wasn't really looking to buy. The guy then said that they could take the Exp II that I was wearing in part-exchange.

I didn't take offence....I took him up on his offer, and left with the Milgauss.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:31 AM   #54
jwill051
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,116619
The remark does not in any way seem offensive to me. Sounds like she was trying to offer a way forward to a new watch.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:33 AM   #55
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
No offense to let someone know they have the option to trade something in.

When did we start getting offended so easily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 29 May 2017, 09:36 AM   #56
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Sales can be tricky as they are their to give you options. They have no idea of your financial situation or even if you like the watch you walked in with. It's when a sale clerk starts talking about watches like a form of currency is when I get turned off.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:51 AM   #57
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I see no issues with her comments. At least she did not imply it was fake.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:54 AM   #58
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
That's It ??? Did she say anything else?
Once there was a Chinese male sales assistant at a watch gallery who told me in crude English ( I was just looking at the Rolex watches via the glass display cabinet)
" Aiyah...Why-lah you buy Omega?No Resale Value.Not popular model.Next time buy Rolex easy to sell "

I was wearing my Spectre LE on the "Neyto" by the way.I smiled back and kept quiet. What the A$$h@££ didnt know was that the cheapest unworn Spectre on Chrono24 is worth much more than what I paid for it
Well,I wouldn't exactly give her an A+ for Conversation Etiquette but It was just an innocent passing remark,she was bored and meant no harm.Next time buy her a slice of New York Cheesecake just for fun ( Why Should You?After the way she mistreated you! ) and 'watch' the transformation in her behaviour...

Mmmmmm cake.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 29 May 2017, 09:54 AM   #59
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

I hope the OP was joking. Nothing remotely offensive. Get a grip.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:56 AM   #60
Chocodove
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I really don't see what the problem here is.
Closed Thread