The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2017, 06:03 AM   #1
niklas1
"TRF" Member

Buying my first Rolex

Hi,

First post here for me. Been reading the forums for a long time, but only signed up recently.

I am looking at buying my first Rolex and I have decided I want the 14060 or 14060m Submariner.

What is the best way of finding and buying one of those for someone who does not know a whole lot about watches? I have spoken to a jeweller and they offered to source one for me as they did not have any in stock at the moment, but my worry is that I will not see the watch before buying it.

I know the marketplace on various forums are popular, but it seems to me that most sellers are based in the United States, I am in the EU and cannot buy from the US due to taxes.

Any word of advice on buying my first Rolex?

Many thanks in advance
niklas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 09:20 AM   #2
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklas1 View Post
Hi,

First post here for me. Been reading the forums for a long time, but only signed up recently.

I am looking at buying my first Rolex and I have decided I want the 14060 or 14060m Submariner.

What is the best way of finding and buying one of those for someone who does not know a whole lot about watches? I have spoken to a jeweller and they offered to source one for me as they did not have any in stock at the moment, but my worry is that I will not see the watch before buying it.

I know the marketplace on various forums are popular, but it seems to me that most sellers are based in the United States, I am in the EU and cannot buy from the US due to taxes.

Any word of advice on buying my first Rolex?

Many thanks in advance

My first word of a advice would be to do your best at trying some of these on because you can look at as many pictures as you like but it really doesn't compare to wearing one. Secondly, chrono24 is not a bad source but you do have to be careful. You have to basically interrogate the seller. The other option would be to buy from a trusted seller on here (no need for nearly as much 'interrogation') but I understand finding one is tough because of your location.

As for the specific references you are interested in I would recommend the m because of the updated movement, but I'm going to throw you a total curveball here and say you might want to explore the sub date as well as the pre-ceramic SD. They're both classics and having the date complication is always nice. I just feel like you'd be getting an incomplete package without the date, however I know others would disagree greatly on this point.

Also it might be helpful to pay a visit to your local AD. You won't be looking at any used models obviously but it will give you an opportunity to try on some of the new models so you can compare. Finally, I'd keep doing research. Your first Rolex is always the riskiest, because you need to be sure that your mind is made up. Good luck.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 09:38 AM   #3
niklas1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
My first word of a advice would be to do your best at trying some of these on because you can look at as many pictures as you like but it really doesn't compare to wearing one. Secondly, chrono24 is not a bad source but you do have to be careful. You have to basically interrogate the seller. The other option would be to buy from a trusted seller on here (no need for nearly as much 'interrogation') but I understand finding one is tough because of your location.

As for the specific references you are interested in I would recommend the m because of the updated movement, but I'm going to throw you a total curveball here and say you might want to explore the sub date as well as the pre-ceramic SD. They're both classics and having the date complication is always nice. I just feel like you'd be getting an incomplete package without the date, however I know others would disagree greatly on this point.

Also it might be helpful to pay a visit to your local AD. You won't be looking at any used models obviously but it will give you an opportunity to try on some of the new models so you can compare. Finally, I'd keep doing research. Your first Rolex is always the riskiest, because you need to be sure that your mind is made up. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

I should've said I have seen the 14060 in person and tried it on, as one of my friends have one. I have also visited my local AD just to compare old vs new, and I prefer the older version.

I am not sure how I would go about "interrogating" a seller on chrono24 as I feel I do not know enough in order to ask the right questions, sure I try my best to research, but I'm nowhere near an expert. :)

What do you think about letting a local jeweler/watchmaker source one for me? Would that be common?
Old 1 June 2017, 09:27 AM   #4
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklas1 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

I should've said I have seen the 14060 in person and tried it on, as one of my friends have one. I have also visited my local AD just to compare old vs new, and I prefer the older version.

I am not sure how I would go about "interrogating" a seller on chrono24 as I feel I do not know enough in order to ask the right questions, sure I try my best to research, but I'm nowhere near an expert. :)

What do you think about letting a local jeweler/watchmaker source one for me? Would that be common?

The only thing about getting it sourced is it may likely cost more. I agree there are some attractive older references. Look on eBay and just keep doing your research. Chrono24 can be good or bad. You just need to know a lot about what your getting into. Many threads on here with info and advice on these references that interest you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Speed
"TRF" Member

Buying my first Rolex

If you want to ask questions of sellers yourself, the answer is spend a few more months here learning about the watch you want. Don't be in a rush.

Are there local watch gtgs you can attend? Get to know local WIS and maybe get a referral to a seller or individual who has a 14060 to sell.

If the reseller you met has a good reputation and can source a watch with little or no cost to you, try it out.

Or...contact a trusted seller and pony up any customs / duty / tax if all else fails.

Given your situation, you may need to resign to paying more than you'd expect for this watch.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 09:43 AM   #6
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I misread the question so retracted my post
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 11:42 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Find a dealer near you from chrono24 with box and papers and then go see the watch for yourself. You can also post pics here and we can tell you what we think.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 11:46 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to TRF

You might try calling around to ADs to see if they have any new old stock. Maybe unlikely in your area, but you never know. There are also independents that may have what you are looking fir, at least that you could try on.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I haven't worn my 14060m in years. Would recommend the 114060 as the older bracelet rattles and isn't as comfortable as the new SELs.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 12:03 PM   #10
Travelhomedad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Find a dealer near you from chrono24 with box and papers and then go see the watch for yourself. You can also post pics here and we can tell you what we think.
Agree, you need to try one of them and get a feel if you want to wear it. Also, try the new subs and than once you had a feel between the two, you can make the decision. It's a big lump sum, doesn't hurt to try it many many times.
Travelhomedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 06:51 AM   #11
niklas1
"TRF" Member

I have tried on both the new Sub and the older 14060/14060m versions, and I prefer the older version. Especially considering my wrists are quite small the older version looks "cleaner" on me. In saying that the new ceramic version looked good too, just not as good as the older version.

It is difficult to find a decent piece for someone like me who is completely new to buying pre-owned, so I really do appreciate you all taking your time to give me advice. Thanks!
Old 2 June 2017, 10:26 AM   #12
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Good choice

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 11:25 AM   #13
WJGESQ
Banned

Hulk.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 04:43 PM   #14
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I agree that it is difficult to buy in the US for Europeans. We will have to pay VAT and import duties, which adds up to 30% i.e. in my case.
There are many trusted sellers in this part of the world as well. Just browse through the various Rolex forums. The German forum r-l-x is a good source. Buying from one of these guys is safe and you'll get your money worth.
Chrono is ok to have a look but I would never buy there from anybody without proper feedback from fellow afficionades posted on a watch forum.

Take your time and do the home work
Old 3 June 2017, 11:25 PM   #15
niklas1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Good choice

Great looking watch
Old 3 June 2017, 11:27 PM   #16
niklas1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I agree that it is difficult to buy in the US for Europeans. We will have to pay VAT and import duties, which adds up to 30% i.e. in my case.
There are many trusted sellers in this part of the world as well. Just browse through the various Rolex forums. The German forum r-l-x is a good source. Buying from one of these guys is safe and you'll get your money worth.
Chrono is ok to have a look but I would never buy there from anybody without proper feedback from fellow afficionades posted on a watch forum.

Take your time and do the home work
Thank you. I will take a look at the German forum. I speak very basic German but will give it a shot.