The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 November 2019, 01:44 AM   #1
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2019 Sub Date
1999 Air King Precision blue dial

Hello all, I was cruising on Chrono24 and found a really neat 1999 Air King. It's got a Blue Dial and the 3,6,& 9 with sticks on the hours. I know nothing about buying a 20yr old Rolex. The ad says original box but no papers. I guess I would be more curious about the service history and if it's got all the right pieces and parts. The ad below is what I am looking at. Any insight is appreciated, thanks again.

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/---14000--id12614148.htm
Stonecutter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 02:04 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

From the pics it looks nice and correct. It is definitely a Japanese market watch with that case back sticker. I hate when sellers put watches on light tables or photoshop out the background and adjust the lighting because it sometimes hides defects.
As for service history, its hard to know so you always need to factor in a service in the price you pay.
The only thing I would request is a pic of the movement and the opened case back to check for corrosion on anything that looks bad on the inside.
Also, keep in mind that you will most likely have to pay import taxes on that piece when it comes into the country. You may be able to find one for about the same price stateside without having to jump through hoops.
Old 4 November 2019, 04:23 AM   #3
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for the info, I appreciate that. I'll definitely keep an eye out for a piece like that stateside. I've only ever bought 1 Rolex and that was a new SubC a couple months back from an AD. The buying process for used pieces seems quite different.

When you say it's a Japenese market watch, do you mean it was only available in that market or its just coming from a vendor their currently?
Old 4 November 2019, 07:02 AM   #4
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
I personally wouldn't buy from a dealer outside the country. So tricky... communicating language, communicating with different time zones, customs, returns and recourse is tough if needed.

There are countless places in the U.S. to buy, including here on TRF, so I would stay in your own playground. Just my 2 cents.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 07:12 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure why this is posted in the Vintage Forum.
Old 4 November 2019, 07:13 AM   #6
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

OTB, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm going to keep a look out. That was just the style/ reference that I like. I'm by no means sold on purchasing from them.
Old 4 November 2019, 07:37 AM   #7
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

I recently imported a similarly priced piece, the import duty should be around $180-200. The exact figure depends on how one breaks down the purchase price, specifically how much of the total is assessed among the case, movement, and bracelet (because the US duty %s are slightly different for each type of component).
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 10:21 AM   #8
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter6 View Post
Thank you very much for the info, I appreciate that. I'll definitely keep an eye out for a piece like that stateside. I've only ever bought 1 Rolex and that was a new SubC a couple months back from an AD. The buying process for used pieces seems quite different.

When you say it's a Japenese market watch, do you mean it was only available in that market or its just coming from a vendor their currently?
When new, the only difference would be the sticker on the back and the owners manuals in the box would be in Japanese.
Old 4 November 2019, 10:28 AM   #9
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
When new, the only difference would be the sticker on the back and the owners manuals in the box would be in Japanese.
Thanks much; I appreciate that!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
Old 4 November 2019, 10:28 AM   #10
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
I recently imported a similarly priced piece, the import duty should be around $180-200. The exact figure depends on how one breaks down the purchase price, specifically how much of the total is assessed among the case, movement, and bracelet (because the US duty %s are slightly different for each type of component).
That's interesting, so all those pieces taxed separately?

Old 6 November 2019, 03:44 AM   #11
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Not sure why this is posted in the Vintage Forum.
So twenty year old watches don't count? How old must something be to be considered vintage?
Old 6 November 2019, 05:39 AM   #12
offrdmania

Quote:
So twenty year old watches don't count? How old must something be to be considered vintage?
Its ok, dont mind him. Your question will still get answered.

There is no exact conclusion about what is and what isnt vintage. I could post links to a hundred posts asking that exact question with no clear answer.

The consensus is roughly pre-1985 or when acrylic crystals switched to sapphire.
Old 8 November 2019, 01:26 AM   #13
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Its ok, dont mind him. Your question will still get answered.

There is no exact conclusion about what is and what isnt vintage. I could post links to a hundred posts asking that exact question with no clear answer.

The consensus is roughly pre-1985 or when acrylic crystals switched to sapphire.
Hey, thanks much; I appreciate your answer. I'm still on the hunt and have seen a few from US Dealers. Thanks again!
Old 8 November 2019, 01:43 AM   #14
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
You cannot go wrong with old Air Kings. I have given serious thought the last couple of years to starting a small collection within a collection of older Air Kings. They have so many excellent dial combos over the years, tons of history, and perhaps best of all are affordable (relative term I know). I love them. I always catch myself searching Chrono24 for older Air Kings. And guilty pleasure alert, actually thinking of asking my AD to get me a new one. I like them. Unlike most of the world it seems.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 01:55 AM   #15
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
You cannot go wrong with old Air Kings. I have given serious thought the last couple of years to starting a small collection within a collection of older Air Kings. They have so many excellent dial combos over the years, tons of history, and perhaps best of all are affordable (relative term I know). I love them. I always catch myself searching Chrono24 for older Air Kings. And guilty pleasure alert, actually thinking of asking my AD to get me a new one. I like them. Unlike most of the world it seems.
I really like the new AK as well. Truth be told that watch got me into look at the Rolex brand and was the first I tried on at the AD. I went back to look at it again and got offered a Subc that morning. It took a few days of research and thinking to make the choice of which to buy.

Old 8 November 2019, 09:13 PM   #16
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really like the new AK as well. Truth be told that watch got me into look at the Rolex brand and was the first I tried on at the AD. I went back to look at it again and got offered a Subc that morning. It took a few days of research and thinking to make the choice of which to buy.

Which did you end up getting?

When the new AK first came out I was very luke warm on it, but it has grown on me considerably. I think of it now as a fun quirky piece that's way different for Rolex. I just might add it one day.
Old 8 November 2019, 09:44 PM   #17
javier
"TRF" Member

It looks ok, just ask the seller to open the back case, chek it out, and ask for a discount. In my opinión is expensive at that price
javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:08 PM   #18
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
It looks ok, just ask the seller to open the back case, chek it out, and ask for a discount. In my opinión is expensive at that price
Thank you very much for the idea; I've never dealt with an older watch before but I've got to imagine the value to be very negotiable. What exactly am I looking for once the back is off?

Old 8 November 2019, 10:10 PM   #19
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Which did you end up getting?

When the new AK first came out I was very luke warm on it, but it has grown on me considerably. I think of it now as a fun quirky piece that's way different for Rolex. I just might add it one day.
I went with the SubC after learning about all the hype; I don't regret it at all either. I'd add the AK if I'm flush with cash someday. It's got enough going for it that it's different from the rest of the pack of Steel Sports.

Old 10 November 2019, 10:18 PM   #20
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I went with the SubC after learning about all the hype; I don't regret it at all either. I'd add the AK if I'm flush with cash someday. It's got enough going for it that it's different from the rest of the pack of Steel Sports.

Good idea. The nice thing about my desire for an older AK is the prices are still decent, and there are tons of them out there. Easy to pick one up in the future.