The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2020, 04:08 AM   #1
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
GQ: How John Mayer Became the Watch World’s Most Influential Collector

https://www.gq.com/story/john-mayer-...ential-watches

Ok, yeah Mayer probably played a part in elevating things. But to read "the gold green-dial Rolex Cosmograph Daytona is now nicknamed "The John Mayer"... yeeeesh
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:17 AM   #2
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Yeah, the author of that article (Cam Wolf) really likes to fluff Mayer.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:20 AM   #3
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:22 AM   #4
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not a JM hater at all. He is wildly talented with great taste but the butt-kissing by GQ is way over the top here:

He is, by now, a one-man trend-setter: he has proven himself to have great knowledge and taste, so the watches he likes must, therefore, be good and tasteful. Which sounds great, but is not without its own challenges. “I bet that that's kind of a hard position to be in as a collector,” Ben-Yehuda says. “Like, every watch has to be fire. But I guess from his point of view, if he wears it, then it's fire."
Old 25 January 2020, 04:22 AM   #5
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyers View Post
https://www.gq.com/story/john-mayer-...ential-watches

Ok, yeah Mayer probably played a part in elevating things. But to read "the gold green-dial Rolex Cosmograph Daytona is now nicknamed "The John Mayer"... yeeeesh
Talking of green dial watches I was looking at the YG Daytona green dial the other night and think that looks pretty great.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:35 AM   #6
doramas
Banned

If you believe that America is the world, yes, but if you were more rational, and knew that there are 7.3 billion people in the world, no.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:38 AM   #7
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
If you think America is the world, yes. If you're more rational, and you think there are 7.3 billion people in the world, no.

Fair pint. But this is coming from the USA site for GQ.
Old 25 January 2020, 04:41 AM   #8
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Yeah, the author of that article (Cam Wolf) really likes to fluff Mayer.

That is some above and beyond fluffing
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:44 AM   #9
doramas
Banned

Quote:
In fact, Cam Wolf is not at all right
Old 25 January 2020, 04:47 AM   #10
Rolex_AG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
John Mayer does not set the trends when it comes to watches, China does.
Rolex_AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:47 AM   #11
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
I like John's music, he seems cool and his ex girlfriends are even cooler.
GQ is over the top, however.

He has great taste, but isn't infallible, in his second hodinkee video his big crown has a fake insert on it and in his first his daytona has a service dial. He probably got bad advice from someone. . .

Quote:
I'm not a JM hater at all. He is wildly talented with great taste but the butt-kissing by GQ is way over the top here:

He is, by now, a one-man trend-setter: he has proven himself to have great knowledge and taste, so the watches he likes must, therefore, be good and tasteful. Which sounds great, but is not without its own challenges. “I bet that that's kind of a hard position to be in as a collector,” Ben-Yehuda says. “Like, every watch has to be fire. But I guess from his point of view, if he wears it, then it's fire."
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #12
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Who is John Mayer , I would say that he might be big in the USA ( only because he seems to be named in a number of threads ) but in the rest of the world he is probably an unknown .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:55 AM   #13
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Honestly, its hard to not give him due credit. He's not trying to put himself out there, he just gets some extra press in the watch community...its US, the general lux watch buying public who fetishize and bought into what he said about the green dial YG Daytona, which in essence DOES make him a trend setter. Whats the big deal here?
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:56 AM   #14
Brew
"TRF" Member

Folks love to hate on JM.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:01 AM   #15
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
I think he just wants one of those gold Daytona watches to be known as "The Mayer Daytona".

Anyway, at least Mayer hasn't sued anyone lately over selling him fake watches.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:03 AM   #16
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
I think he just wants one of those gold Daytona watches to be known as "The Mayer Daytona".

Anyway, at least Mayer hasn't sued anyone lately over selling him fake watches.

Yeah, whatever happened to that? That story never gets mentioned anymore. Who did he sue? I'll just google it...
Old 25 January 2020, 05:05 AM   #17
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
At least he’s a famous person that is a watch enthusiast like Paul Newman was versus the forced Batman and Batgirl nicknames. The Batgirl and Batman nickname convention doesn’t even make sense. A Pepsi is always a Pepsi regardless of bracket, so why is a BLNR on Jubilee now a Batgirl? It’s still a BLNR
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:16 AM   #18
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you believe that America is the world, yes, but if you were more rational, and knew that there are 7.3 billion people in the world, no.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Who is John Mayer , I would say that he might be big in the USA ( only because he seems to be named in a number of threads ) but in the rest of the world he is probably an unknown .
Who is more influential globally then? He may not be known to everyone but it’s tough to name another close.

Tiger Woods is more well known globally, but I’m not sure he would be more influential since not everyone is wearing a 116660ln or 126660 d blue. And he is an enthusiast(not to mention diving enthusiast as well), even though more of a one or two watch kind of guy.

Perhaps Renaldo? Certainly more well known globally, but not many people wearing what he wears or any crazy demand for his watches he owns or has endorsed.

I’m puzzled to name a more influential collector today. Perhaps Charlie Sheen could’ve been argued in the past as well, but he doesn’t get as involved as JM nor has ever written watch articles like JM has for HODINKEE

Peter Stahl is pretty influential, but not too well known outside of a smaller community.
Old 25 January 2020, 05:20 AM   #19
koufax80
"TRF" Member

...and Al Gore invented the internet.
koufax80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:22 AM   #20
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Who is more influential globally then? He may not be known to everyone but it’s tough to name another close.

Tiger Woods is more well known globally, but I’m not sure he would be more influential since not everyone is wearing a 116660ln or 126660 d blue. And he is an enthusiast(not to mention diving enthusiast as well), even though more of a one or two watch kind of guy.

Perhaps Renaldo? Certainly more well known globally, but not many people wearing what he wears or any crazy demand for his watches he owns or has endorsed.

I’m puzzled to name a more influential collector today. Perhaps Charlie Sheen could’ve been argued in the past as well, but he doesn’t get as involved as JM nor has ever written watch articles like JM has for HODINKEE
Close to you, but I repeat, you have to differentiate a country from the world. Some don't know the difference, or they live in a bubble.

Federer or Rafa Nadal are better known worldwide. One wears Rolex and the other Richard Mille
Old 25 January 2020, 05:26 AM   #21
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_AG View Post
John Mayer does not set the trends when it comes to watches, China does.
When it comes to fashion and pop culture China is definitely not setting trends worldwide. They're buying what's popular in the west.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:50 AM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Who is John Mayor?

J/K, though never made any watch decision on whatever he has. Some artists live for being catered to, and the spotlight. Sounds like GQ did a fine job feeding John's desires while giving readers info on his timepieces.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:54 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Yeah but is that watch his sexual napalm?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:00 AM   #24
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Yeah but how hard is it to hype Rolex or Patek or AP watches these days

Isn’t he also a huge collector of IWC big pilot but where are those prices ? Are we seeing a big uptick our premium on those watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:01 AM   #25
vgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: collection?
I like his playing more than his music, but he is successful at what he does. Being a watch collector next to being famous musician gave him spotlight by default I think.

He has some cool watches, but that he alone can set trends, sounds a bit too much :/
vgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:12 AM   #26
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
He's an unknown here in the USA. Any mediocre musician will millions of dollars can collect high end watches. Big deal. The worship this guy gets is hilarious.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:13 AM   #27
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
He's an unknown here in the USA. Any mediocre musician will millions of dollars can collect high end watches. Big deal. The worship this guy gets is hilarious.
John Mayer is definitely known. He got a guest star spot on Dave Chappelle's show because he's known.

I'm glad a guy like Mayer is a watch nerd, because it's cool to see a celebrity geek out in the same way many of us do. But I wouldn't make a watch choice based on his comments or actions.

I play guitar, and I wouldn't make a guitar choice based on him, either (or any other guitarist, btw).

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:17 AM   #28
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
He's an unknown here in the USA.
I don't feel any particular way about him, but that's just not true. If you asked a bunch of random people on the street who John Mayer is I'd bet a significant portion of the people would know of him.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:40 AM   #29
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You should get out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:54 AM   #30
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Close to you, but I repeat, you have to differentiate a country from the world. Some don't know the difference, or they live in a bubble.

Federer or Rafa Nadal are better known worldwide. One wears Rolex and the other Richard Mille
I didn’t ask though who was more well known I asked more influential in watch world. I doubt Rafael is influencing many. He wears Richard Millie which is in its own stratosphere. I’d argue Tiger is both more well known and influential globally as well than Roger. And none of them are really huge collectors outside of JM. A simple google search and I’m sure you and many others could easily understand who JM is. Just like any American can easily search Ronaldo if they didn’t already know him. I repeat as you say who is more influential. I understand USA is not the world as well and neither is JM just known only within the US just because you and others aren’t familiar