The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 December 2018, 01:05 AM   #1
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Does my watch go with.....

I find the topic of what my watch goes with to be interesting mainly because these days every watch goes with anything anywhere. It may have started with James Bond. He wore a diving watch with a tuxedo and changed everything. I wear my DD with tattered jeans and I wear it with a suit. Matter of fact the only thing I don’t wear it with is my tuxedo because it’s RG and my formal cuff links are platinum. The distinction between dress and casual is so convoluted now that you can wear just about any watch, any complication , any style in any metal anywhere unless of course your cuff links are platinum. Just my 2 cents. Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:17 AM   #2
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

I agree to an extent but wearing a solid gold rolex in less desirable neighborhoods or tooling around certain foreign countries would be worrisome for me. I'd rather rock some stainless steel that may not draw some much attention to my wrist. Funny thing is that you could have a vintage Speedmaster or Tudor worth $15,000 and thieves wouldn't pay much attention. It's the shiny gold that glitters like a fish lure that draws them in (or the Rolex symbol on the bracelet that they catch at a glance).

In a prefect world yes, you could wear most watches in most situations although my personal feeling is that anything over 40mm is too big for formal events.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:22 AM   #3
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Here’s my take. Overall I 95% agree. They being said I’ve found one key rule that I need to follow. Aside from looks, comfort is important. Therefore if I’m wearing long sleeves with cuffs I want a thinner watch that fits under the cuff. Not only is it uncomfortable for the watch to not fit but it does look kind of silly. Other than that (and maybe a super black the event) I say do what you please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 December 2018, 01:37 AM   #4
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

The hard truth is that the modern "everything goes with everything" is used because people (i) don't really have personal style, (ii) are narcissists and think they can do whatever they want, or (iii) don't have the funds (or spend it on other things) to own enough watches to wear an appropriate one for their level of dress or the occasion.

Rules are in existence for a reason, namely to guide people towards combinations that look good. A rubber-strapped sports watch looks just as ridiculous under a business suit and tie as a Calatrava looks on someone playing tennis.

That's not to say that rules can never be broken, but they need to be done so carefully and with measured consideration.

For most kinds of dress, the devil is in the details. One looks a bit silly haphazardly throwing in random details that don't fit. An Explorer II on a rubber strap being worn by someone with a business suit, tie and balmoral shoes would stick out like a sore thumb.

And as an additional point, you should never, ever wear a watch with a tuxedo. The entire point of black tie dress is to distinguish it from business dress, which is why jackets have one button and no vents, lapels are faced in satin or grosgrain, and shoes are patent leather and not calfskin.
FrontHeadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:42 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
There are no rules for matching a watch with attire, any more.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 02:24 AM   #6
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
This is why I own a 36mm Explorer. Wear it on a nice leather strap for suits and the bracelet for everything else. It’s not PM, but I don’t care and I don’t think anyone else does either. I think it looks classic and a bit unique. For others, a 40+mm sport watch with bezel may be fine. I see people doing it and think it looks good on them. On me, it kind of looks ridiculous in the mirror. Could have to do with height/weight/age ratio.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 02:45 AM   #7
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I agree...I think convention has gone to the wind when it comes to matching watches. Here are a few guidelines I have for myself though:

- I don’t mind watches with tuxedos. Ideally, dress watch with a leather strap, with a dark dial for an evening event. Complications shouldn’t be any more than a second hand, maybe date. However, I have used my yellow gold GMT Master with my tux, and I like the look. Just make sure the metal matches your cuff links, and that it fits under your cuff comfortably. Also do not look at your watch. For a formal event, you shouldn’t give the impression that you have anywhere else to be. It’s more a piece of jewelry to differentiate your tux.

- I don’t like dress watches with jeans. I had a PP 5119r, and I just didn’t feel right doing that. I ended up trading it plus a JLC MUT Perpetual Calendar for a Sky Dweller plus cash because I needed something I would feel comfortable wearing in more situations.

- As I said before , make sure to match the metal of your watch with your cuff links.

These are my current thoughts, but I’m sure they are subject to change!
Old 28 December 2018, 02:57 AM   #8
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
There are no rules for matching a watch with attire, any more.
I agree completely. I feel more comfortable wearing certain watches with certain clothing, but that's strictly a self-imposed set of criteria.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 03:33 AM   #9
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I agree completely. I feel more comfortable wearing certain watches with certain clothing, but that's strictly a self-imposed set of criteria.
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Agree.
I also agree with some of the others above points...no watch with a tux, thin leather band with thin 3 hand watch for suit or semi-formal, etc....but I’m probably in the minority, these days, on these points. (Showing my age I guess)
As stated above...I’m just comfortable, call it old school, wearing certain watches with certain clothes, that’s just my taste. For example...I’m just now comfortable wearing an oysterflex black bracelet with jeans, brown leather belt and brown leather shoes :)
I’d have to say I’m relaxing on the old school way of thinking...slowly
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 03:38 AM   #10
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
I have never considered if my watch matches anything. I just wear them.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 03:39 AM   #11
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

I have quite a strongly-developed sense of style that tends to be "rule-oriented" in the sense that it revolves primarily around the conventional menswear realm of "coat and tie" style.

(For reference, see here and here and here and here and here....)

On the one hand, I lament that no one abides by the traditional conventions of attire anymore, including the conventions of wearing wristwatches. On the other, I recognize that style is constantly evolving and I question whether it makes sense to hold onto conventions simply for their own sake.

I've developed my own preferences based on my own needs as they relate to the old conventions. For example, the convention on wristwatches and formal attire is: Don't. The reason for the convention is that in circumstances where one would don formal attire, most frequently some kind of elegant evening soiree, time is irrelevant and it is gauche to keep such a reminder of the mundane on your wrist.

In my reality, I only wear formal attire in my hobby/side job as a performing musician. It so happens that I need to know when to be on stage, when the concert is supposed to start, how long intermission will last, etc. So despite the convention against wristwatches with formalwear, I wear a watch when performing in my tuxedo.

The convention on wristwatches with business attire is that you should wear a dress watch on a leather strap with a suit and tie. The reason for that convention is that your wristwatch should be conservative in appearance and slim enough to fit easily under a shirt cuff. I think part of the convention of a dress watch requiring a leather strap also stems from the fact that straps is how the majority of wristwatches were attached for much of their early history. Metal bracelets on watches only started becoming popular as popular attire become more casual in general, in the '60s and beyond, and so most people simply associate watches with leather straps with an older, more formal culture.

In my reality, I've found that a slim, simple watch on a metal bracelet tends to work best for me with business attire. They slide under my shirt cuff with ease, have no leather strap to worry about matching to black or brown dress shoes, and are not damaged by my frequent hand-washing (I spend a lot of time in jail, which is probably second only to elementary school for general viral germiness, so I do a LOT of hand-washing).

Bottom line, I think there are conventions that should be observed when you care about presenting yourself as a polished, put-together, thoughtful person, but such conventions should not be religiously guarded if they cannot be rationally justified.
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 03:41 AM   #12
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
It’s more a piece of jewelry to differentiate your tux.
The entire point of a tux is literally to not differentiate yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
- As I said before , make sure to match the metal of your watch with your cuff links.
I don't agree with this at all. A watch doesn't need to be matchy matchy. You don't match your cufflinks with your wedding band, do you?
Old 28 December 2018, 03:43 AM   #13
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
It may have started with James Bond. He wore a diving watch with a tuxedo and changed everything.

But did he wear it whilst cavorting au naturel with Pussy Galore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 03:52 AM   #14
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Last time I wore a Tux was in a wedding. People were too drunk afterwards to care what each other had on their wrist. I'd say wear what you have and not worry about fashion implications,

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 04:03 AM   #15
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
The entire point of a tux is literally to not differentiate yourself.

I don't agree with this at all. A watch doesn't need to be matchy matchy. You don't match your cufflinks with your wedding band, do you?
Both valid points. On #1, I probably should have said “should you want to”. It’s a more discreet way of doing so than say, orange with a big top hat and a cane.

Anyway, some people do want to differentiate their tuxes a bit. I don’t go to many black tie events, so when I do, I do want to differentiate my tux, but as tastefully as I can.

On point #2, you are right; I do have a gold wedding band, but I often wear stainless steel. Not ideal for me, and knowing what I know now, I would have gone platinum for the band. However, as I am happy in marriage, I am happy with my band; matchy or not.

Again, just personal preference; I’m sure some people will say I’m a stiff, and others will say I am a barbarian. And my 10 years from now self will probably think along those lines of my today-self!
Old 28 December 2018, 04:09 AM   #16
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
I have quite a strongly-developed sense of style that tends to be "rule-oriented" in the sense that it revolves primarily around the conventional menswear realm of "coat and tie" style.

(For reference, see here and here and here and here and here....)

On the one hand, I lament that no one abides by the traditional conventions of attire anymore, including the conventions of wearing wristwatches. On the other, I recognize that style is constantly evolving and I question whether it makes sense to hold onto conventions simply for their own sake.

I've developed my own preferences based on my own needs as they relate to the old conventions. For example, the convention on wristwatches and formal attire is: Don't. The reason for the convention is that in circumstances where one would don formal attire, most frequently some kind of elegant evening soiree, time is irrelevant and it is gauche to keep such a reminder of the mundane on your wrist.

In my reality, I only wear formal attire in my hobby/side job as a performing musician. It so happens that I need to know when to be on stage, when the concert is supposed to start, how long intermission will last, etc. So despite the convention against wristwatches with formalwear, I wear a watch when performing in my tuxedo.

The convention on wristwatches with business attire is that you should wear a dress watch on a leather strap with a suit and tie. The reason for that convention is that your wristwatch should be conservative in appearance and slim enough to fit easily under a shirt cuff. I think part of the convention of a dress watch requiring a leather strap also stems from the fact that straps is how the majority of wristwatches were attached for much of their early history. Metal bracelets on watches only started becoming popular as popular attire become more casual in general, in the '60s and beyond, and so most people simply associate watches with leather straps with an older, more formal culture.

In my reality, I've found that a slim, simple watch on a metal bracelet tends to work best for me with business attire. They slide under my shirt cuff with ease, have no leather strap to worry about matching to black or brown dress shoes, and are not damaged by my frequent hand-washing (I spend a lot of time in jail, which is probably second only to elementary school for general viral germiness, so I do a LOT of hand-washing).

Bottom line, I think there are conventions that should be observed when you care about presenting yourself as a polished, put-together, thoughtful person, but such conventions should not be religiously guarded if they cannot be rationally justified.
These are all reasonable, and this is how fashion should progress. You are observing the rules, which became rules for good reasons, and are modifying them slightly and for logical reasons.
Old 28 December 2018, 04:33 AM   #17
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
The hard truth is that the modern "everything goes with everything" is used because people (i) don't really have personal style, (ii) are narcissists and think they can do whatever they want, or (iii) don't have the funds (or spend it on other things) to own enough watches to wear an appropriate one for their level of dress or the occasion.

Rules are in existence for a reason, namely to guide people towards combinations that look good. A rubber-strapped sports watch looks just as ridiculous under a business suit and tie as a Calatrava looks on someone playing tennis.

That's not to say that rules can never be broken, but they need to be done so carefully and with measured consideration.

For most kinds of dress, the devil is in the details. One looks a bit silly haphazardly throwing in random details that don't fit. An Explorer II on a rubber strap being worn by someone with a business suit, tie and balmoral shoes would stick out like a sore thumb.

And as an additional point, you should never, ever wear a watch with a tuxedo. The entire point of black tie dress is to distinguish it from business dress, which is why jackets have one button and no vents, lapels are faced in satin or grosgrain, and shoes are patent leather and not calfskin.

To break the rules, you must first master them.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 04:39 AM   #18
smym18
"TRF" Member

I recently got an Explorer to wear with a suit, rather than a Datejust for example, because the flash of PCLs bothers me (to the point where I may even be willing to sell my YM).
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 05:06 AM   #19
Mick006
"TRF" Member

I don’t know, if convention were the norm wouldn’t we all have Cellinis or datejusts on straps for business attire?

In a perfect world, I’d have a Cellini to wear as a daily with suits and a sub for the weekend, but that isn’t financially practical for me. I think that is a big consideration. I also don’t think these “rules” are taught anymore. People dress way too casually these days. When did sweatpants become acceptable?
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 05:44 AM   #20
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Men just don't wear suits as much as they once did.

When I started at my current company 18 years ago, we wore suits to the office everyday, including Fridays. Now we're country club casual (khakis and a dress shirt), and Friday is jeans day.

It's hard for many people to justify buying a pure dress watch when they only wear a suit 2 or 3 times a year. Nowadays, I think it's ok to wear a SS Sub or a DJ with a suit because of this. I still think it's better to wear a dress watch (i.e., real dress watch on leather strap), but again, many people just can't justify buying one.

Also, there is a time and place for solid gold watches. I just don't think they go with suits or office situations at all.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote