The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2006, 12:08 AM   #1
jhphilip

Rolex or Pan?

I have been bit by the rolex bug and just bought a new sub no-date. I want a Sea Dweller but i also want a panerai. Any thoughts on pros and cons for either watch?
jhphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Atomic

The SD is touted as the 'toughest' Rolex made because it has a thicker case and crystal. It's also more stealthy as it has no cyclops. It's an outstanding watch, without question, running a tried and true robust movement.

To compare to a Panerai is like comparing apples to JJs. The Panny is a totally different watch in every respect. It's bigger, thicker, most are on a strap, the movements Panerai uses are just as robust as the Rolex 3135, and you can get auto or hand wound, depending on the model.

While the SD is stealthy, all Panerai watches are 'in your face'.

Since you have a no-date-Sub, getting a SD in my opinion would be akin to basically having two of the same watch (looks wise). If you've been bitten by the Panerai bug, it won't leave your system, trust me. Then you also get into the strap sickness that so many Paneristis enjoy.

Bottom line is, get the one you like best. You can always get the other one down the road.
Old 13 April 2006, 12:52 AM   #3
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I personally prefer the look and feel of Rolex. The Panerai has never been a watch that I've had an interest in, partially because of its voluminous size. My Sub has been a perfect watch.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 01:00 AM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I had a Panny and sold it. I did not think it was as well built as a Rolex and did not think it worthy of all the hype. Now if it had been a vintage Panny it would have been a different matter. For me the modern Panny is a usurper.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 01:05 AM   #5
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
I had a Panny and sold it. I did not think it was as well built as a Rolex and did not think it worthy of all the hype. Now if it had been a vintage Panny it would have been a different matter. For me the modern Panny is a usurper.

I thought a 'usurper' was something someone else had for supper.
Old 13 April 2006, 02:44 AM   #6
RobDad

I wouldn't get an SD if I already had a Sub, or vice-versa. Too similiar.

I've owned a 40mm Panerai (PAM 48) which just didn't look right (way too small), and kept really bad time from new (the COSC certificate it came with was totally wrong). I hated the way the winding rotor banged about in the case as well - It got flipped pretty quickly!

I than bought a 44mm manual wind (PAM 005) which I initially really liked, until I noticed the crown protector was poorly fitted, and it acquired scratches and dings like no watch I have ever owned. I also found the deployment on the band/strap uncomfortable, and once again the timekeeping was way off (well, -20 seconds a day)
When it went in for service it came back with the strap screws glued in, and no adjustment to the timekeeping.

Sadly, this was the end of my interest in Panerai - I like the look, but they don't build them like Rolex. And how many 'special' editions are there?

Interesting thing that just struck me - it took 3 years to find a Sub Date in an AD at list price, yet even now if you walk up Bond Street you can easily buy a Luminor Marina, steel or Ti, manual or auto, even saw a steel 'destro' yesterday. The rarity thing must be (at least partially) a myth.
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 03:06 AM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Frist of all, welcome you to TRF, JH. Glad you found your way to our friendly little madhouse.

Now you see the difference between those of us who are gentlemen and the rest of the Phillistines here. They just jump right in answering questions and don't bother to welcome a newcomer to our midst. But don't mind them. They have no manners.

As for thoughts on the PAM, wait for Daren (dman) to log on. He'll be happy to extol the virtues of Panerai for you. For me, they're either to big or too small. The only one I might consider is the GMT, but then I like anything with complications.

Stick around and enjoy the fun here. Don't be afraid to post. With few exceptions, we don't bite (but you gotta watch out for this bald loon from Kiwiland - don't turn your back on him and never look him straight in the eye).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 03:27 AM   #8
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Firstly, welcome to our home.
I have both Rolex (Sub) and Pannie's.
I have had no problems with either of them, but it might be bit soon to comment on the Pams , as I have only had one for a few months now.
I really like the simplicity on the dials of the Pam's I have chosen. For me it is a nice change from bracelet to strap. Just to change things up.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 04:20 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi JH,

A very BIG welcome to TRF. Hope you enjoy your stay here. I'm the "JJ" these guys keep referring to!!

Rolex or Panny? In all fairness, I would be the WRONG person to ask 'cause I would straight way say: ROLEX....but then that's me!!

So in all fairness to you, wait for Daren to log on. He will give you a truer picture on Panny as well as Rollies 'cause he owns both.

Either way, you can't go wrong. They are both excellent time pieces.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 05:00 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I often go to a BMW forum to ask if I should get a BMW or a Mecredes.

In all fairness you are talking about two totally different animals. The SD is classic with instant recognition. It is a very reliable and durable movement that is tougher than anything you can throw at it. It will last a lifetime and never go out of style. It is a great watch that you would be able to pass down to your family.

The Panerai is a bit of an enigma. I personally wear my Pannies 90% of the time. I like the fact that they are hardly ever seen on the wrist of another person and when you do see them on a person 99% of the time a nice conversation is struck up. I love the big bold look and also the wearing comfort that I have found with them. I am a fan of the strap options and the different models.

If I want to feel a bracelet on my wrist I reach for my YM, and that is nice to be able to do. I to tend to wear my Pannies though, they are just more individualistic and less mainstream to me.

You can't go wrong either way. Best of luck in your hunt and welcome to TRF.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 05:03 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
I often go to a BMW forum to ask if I should get a BMW or a Mecredes.
Hey pal, relax....take a deep breath and just go easy on the new guy, my friend. It's just a simple question and most of us have already given him pretty good advice.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 April 2006, 05:19 AM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Hey pal, relax....take a deep breath and just go easy on the new guy, my friend. It's just a simple question and most of us have already given him pretty good advice.

Cheers - JJ
Re-read my post, it posted before I was done. I guess I am out of practice.

Old 13 April 2006, 05:21 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Re-read my post, it posted before I was done. I guess I am out of practice.
LOL! My apologies....now I went back and read the rest of it!

Old 13 April 2006, 05:22 AM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani

Cheers - JJ
JJ, he is relaxed... just making a point. Perhaps this post should have been asked in the non-Rolex section to be less um... slanted. The cool thing about this "Rolex" forum is that 99% of the members don't see Rolex as the end all, be all (the one percent is YOU JJ ).

Bottom line is, just as Daren agreed with me, comparing a Sea Dweller to any Panerai is like comparing apples to JJs. You can't. Completely different in look and feel. Most Rolex owners, if you see one on the street don't know jack about their watch other than 'it's a Rolex' whereas as Daren says, with Panny owners often good conversations are struck and the owners tend to be a little fanatical about their watch(es).

Two great watches (I don't think there's a bad Panerai since he didn't mention a specific model)... but very different in every aspect.
Old 13 April 2006, 05:24 AM   #15
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Johnny

Old 13 April 2006, 05:25 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hey Johnny,

Guess what? My 11,000th is directed towards you and in your honour!!

You're still Tosser No.1 !!!

And now off to work I rush...7:25 on a Thursday morning!!

Old 13 April 2006, 09:35 AM   #17
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I LOVE my 16610 and am enjoying the heck out of my BM and would also like to have a roleseum YM one day. But I also would like to have a 112 also

Last edited by mailman; 13 April 2006 at 09:35 AM..
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2006, 03:31 AM   #18
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Do as me my son...

AND GET BOTH

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2006, 03:39 AM   #19
mamas
"TRF" Member

i personally am not a fan of panerai but given that you already have a sub, a SD aswell will be too similar.. buy something else.. whether it be panerai or any other brand.
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2006, 04:23 PM   #20
silverman

Watch: gmt11c/ DSSD
I am throwing the same thing around at the moment.Had a 111 and sold it.Now i regret it.

I am thinking a sub date or a 112 but they are both so different.The panny is all the rage at the moment and the new ones due in Dec 06 look great (232 and 249) but good luck getting one.But i have never owned a Rolex and really want a sub date.To me the Panny will get noticed more whereas the Rolex is a bit more subtle yet just as stylish.

If its only one,IMHO go the Rolex.It will never date,is classy yet sporty,built like a tank and an all-time classic.Cant go wrong.
silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2006, 04:59 AM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverman
I am throwing the same thing around at the moment.Had a 111 and sold it.Now i regret it.

I am thinking a sub date or a 112 but they are both so different.The panny is all the rage at the moment and the new ones due in Dec 06 look great (232 and 249) but good luck getting one.But i have never owned a Rolex and really want a sub date.To me the Panny will get noticed more whereas the Rolex is a bit more subtle yet just as stylish.

If its only one,IMHO go the Rolex.It will never date,is classy yet sporty,built like a tank and an all-time classic.Cant go wrong.

Old 15 April 2006, 08:21 AM   #22
silverman

Sorry i didnt read your opening post properly.If you already have a sub and tossing up between a sea dweller and a panny,its a no-brainer.Go the panny.

The sea dweller is an awesome watch but why not have one of each.Thats my eventual goal,to have a rolex and a panny.
Old 15 April 2006, 08:57 AM   #23
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Welcme to TRF my friend, keep your hands in the ride at all times and don't ever feed the JJ's!

IMHO the Sea Dweller is too close to the Sub Date to get that instead of a Panny. I have had a chance to borrow and get a lot of info about Pannies through a friend who is a big collector and let me tell you that wearing a 111 and a Sea Dweller there is no comparison... two totally different animals!

The Sea Dweller is a classic and you would'nt be dissapointed getting that beauty, but if you have a craving for something a little more uncommon and bold then a Pan may be the way to go.

Just do your research and go with the one that you can look at on your wrist every other day! After reading some of the posts on this thread the Pan may have some issues that I was'nt aware of. I myself and leaning towards a Panny as my next baby as I now own a Sub Date and an Omega Chrono.

Good luck and let us know what you wind up with OK?

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2006, 12:59 PM   #24
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
To me the Panny will get noticed more whereas the Rolex is a bit more subtle yet just as stylish.
Very good post Silverman, but I have to disagree just a bit on the above sentence. I say just a bit because you are only partially right, IMHO.

The PAM will get noticed because people will be curious as to the "odd" looking watch you are wearing, but the Rolex will get noticed because it is a Rolex and people "know" that watch and the "look" that it carries. Neither are bad, just what has happened in my own expierence.

Old 15 April 2006, 01:00 PM   #25
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt
Welcme to TRF my friend, keep your hands in the ride at all times and don't ever feed the JJ's!

IMHO the Sea Dweller is too close to the Sub Date to get that instead of a Panny. I have had a chance to borrow and get a lot of info about Pannies through a friend who is a big collector and let me tell you that wearing a 111 and a Sea Dweller there is no comparison... two totally different animals!

The Sea Dweller is a classic and you would'nt be dissapointed getting that beauty, but if you have a craving for something a little more uncommon and bold then a Pan may be the way to go.

Just do your research and go with the one that you can look at on your wrist every other day! After reading some of the posts on this thread the Pan may have some issues that I was'nt aware of. I myself and leaning towards a Panny as my next baby as I now own a Sub Date and an Omega Chrono.

Good luck and let us know what you wind up with OK?

I am trying to figure out which PAM will be next, but to each their own. If it makes you smile then you should go for it, no matter the brand.

Old 15 April 2006, 02:09 PM   #26
jhphilip

Now i am getting desperate. I went by the watch store today and they had a used SD that was in perfect condition. They wanted 4300. for it. I am almost tempted to take my Bell and Ross acrylic pilot and my Sub no-date and trade it in for it.
Old 15 April 2006, 07:23 PM   #27
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhphilip
Now i am getting desperate. I went by the watch store today and they had a used SD that was in perfect condition. They wanted 4300. for it. I am almost tempted to take my Bell and Ross acrylic pilot and my Sub no-date and trade it in for it.
How old was it? If you have an AD that gives you a discount, you can probably get one BNIB for around the same price. If it matters to you or not, the NIB one will have your name on the papers also. To some this doesn't matter. There's also the issue if the AD will take your watches on trade or not. Just wanted to let you know another avenue, that's all. Good luck in your decision
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2006, 10:56 AM   #28
silverman

My local AD has a mint condition LNIB rolex sea dweller for about the same price as a BNIB panny 111.
You cant go wrong with either.I love the 000,005.111,112 models and also the 210 is sweet(right dman).The 190 is my dream panny and the 127 fiddy is stunning.
My ultimate decision would be panny 190 v rolex yachtmaster.But hey what i decision !!!!
Old 16 April 2006, 12:55 PM   #29
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
My local AD has a mint condition LNIB rolex sea dweller for about the same price as a BNIB panny 111.
You cant go wrong with either.I love the 000,005.111,112 models and also the 210 is sweet(right dman).The 190 is my dream panny and the 127 fiddy is stunning.
My ultimate decision would be panny 190 v rolex yachtmaster.But hey what i decision !!!!
I had a trade last month a 190 for my YM. I really wanted to pull the trigger but I could not agree on a middle ground with the seller. Maybe one day real soon, although the 210 and 190 are to similar for me. All that means is that the 210 would go for another 112.

Old 17 April 2006, 12:56 PM   #30
jhphilip

I have decided to wait until i find a new SD at a discount. I am going to keep my subbie since it is my first rollie.