The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which watch?
Explorer 47 33.33%
Datejust 49 34.75%
Flip the OP and buy both! 45 31.91%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 December 2018, 10:16 AM   #1
withnail_jet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Next Watch - DJ or Explorer?

Here's my current stable – a 116710LN and an OP with a bit of an oddball dial:

For my next piece, I'm deliberating between a current production 214270 and a DJ 36 blue dial with stick markers, fluted bezel, and jubilee. I like them both equally, and can't really decide, so I was wondering what people here think...

OR

I don't really have anything "dressy" in my collection (not that I wear suits or dress up all that often), and I suspect next year's DJ will have the Oysterclasp, which I don't really care for.

On the other hand, the Explorer is just a great all-around, understated look, and I love the lume on it – although it might be said that its dial/hands are a little too similar to both of what I currently have in my lineup.

Decisions, decisions...
withnail_jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 10:26 AM   #2
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

My vote goes to the DJ36 but I’d hold off until it’s fitted with the new 3235 movement (currently in the TT versions) hopefully next year.
arcentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 10:30 AM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I have to say that the 116200 63600 is a very nice choice.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 10:30 AM   #4
withnail_jet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcentaur View Post
My vote goes to the DJ36 but I’d hold off until it’s fitted with the new 3235 movement (currently in the TT versions) hopefully next year.
...I hear ya, I just have a thing for the Crownclasp on the Jubilee bracelet for that seamless look, and I'm betting that when we see a 3235-fitted DJ36, it'll be paired with the Oysterclasp (like on the TT and DJ41), which I'm just not that big a fan of on that bracelet.
Old 25 December 2018, 10:34 AM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Unless you have a strong attachment to your OP with the unusual dial, I would sell the OP and get both the DJ and the Explorer, as they are both classic watches to add to any Rolex collection.

The Explorer sits very differently on the wrist compared to the GMT, so I wouldn't worry about it being too similar to the GMT.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 10:35 AM   #6
alpine29
"TRF" Member

I voted for both, I really like both of those options. I currently have a Explorer 1, and if I had to do it all over again, that DJ would be in the running.
alpine29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 10:42 AM   #7
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail_jet View Post
...I hear ya, I just have a thing for the Crownclasp on the Jubilee bracelet for that seamless look, and I'm betting that when we see a 3235-fitted DJ36, it'll be paired with the Oysterclasp (like on the TT and DJ41), which I'm just not that big a fan of on that bracelet.

I’d imagine they’ll allow customization though, based on the new website format. What I’m more worried about is that they might tone down the lugs and case like they did the current TT DJ36 versions, which look a tad feminine to me. I hope they’ll keep the squared off case on the 36. I’m eyeing the silver dial, fluted bezel, oyster bracelet myself. I got inspired by this review:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-datejust-review
Old 25 December 2018, 10:48 AM   #8
withnail_jet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcentaur View Post
I’m eyeing the silver dial, fluted bezel, oyster bracelet myself. I got inspired by this review:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-datejust-review

Heh, I've read/watched that countless times – in fact I started off wanting the silver dial myself, mostly on account of that article. I only recently changed my mind to wanting the blue dial, but I would be happy with either one!
Old 25 December 2018, 10:57 AM   #9
withnail_jet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Unless you have a strong attachment to your OP with the unusual dial, I would sell the OP and get both the DJ and the Explorer, as they are both classic watches to add to any Rolex collection.

The Explorer sits very differently on the wrist compared to the GMT, so I wouldn't worry about it being too similar to the GMT.
This may be just the ticket...

And since the Explorer doesn't have a bezel like the GMT, I suspect you're right about them being distinct. The only thing I meant was the black dials on both and the similar (same?) hands. (I have never seen a 39mm Explorer I in person)
Old 25 December 2018, 10:59 AM   #10
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Heh, I've read/watched that countless times – in fact I started off wanting the silver dial myself, mostly on account of that article. I only recently changed my mind to wanting the blue dial, but I would be happy with either one!

Awesome. I’m coming from the other end, wanting the blue dial at first, then the white and now the silver. Fickleness of the mind.

Following you now to stay in the loop.
Old 25 December 2018, 11:48 AM   #11
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'm a sports fan but can't say enough of how much I love the new DJ. I went for a new DJ41/126300 with the 3255 mvmt. I don't think the size wears too large at all, it's actually 40mm and seeing you have an LN makes we wonder if you tried one on for size...? Happy Choosing!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 12:01 PM   #12
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I'm a sports fan but can't say enough of how much I love the new DJ. I went for a new DJ41/126300 with the 3255 mvmt. I don't think the size wears too large at all, it's actually 40mm and seeing you have an LN makes we wonder if you tried one on for size...? Happy Choosing!

That’s my choice too. Did that exactly last month
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 12:27 PM   #13
withnail_jet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post

Actually, I have, and agree – I think it wears well, and my wrist size is average at best. I'd spring for it if not for that damned clasp on the Jubilee!
Old 25 December 2018, 12:47 PM   #14
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
I'll bet if you look hard enough you can find a BNIB current production DJ36 in the specs you want. Remember that 3135 movement has been around for years and is extremely reliable.
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 01:27 PM   #15
withnail_jet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WatchDawg View Post
I'll bet if you look hard enough you can find a BNIB current production DJ36 in the specs you want. Remember that 3135 movement has been around for years and is extremely reliable.
I've tried three of that exact model on in the past two weeks – the hard part is deciding between it and the Explorer!
Old 25 December 2018, 01:46 PM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This may be just the ticket...

And since the Explorer doesn't have a bezel like the GMT, I suspect you're right about them being distinct. The only thing I meant was the black dials on both and the similar (same?) hands. (I have never seen a 39mm Explorer I in person)
As you mentioned, there are some similarities of the black dial and hands. I own both the GMT and Explorer and IMO there are enough differences between the two to own both in the collection. The 39mm Explorer I is not as hard to find at ADs compared to GMTs and Subs. So if you look around, you should be able to find an AD that has one for you to try on. IME it sits on the wrist more similar to a Daytona or an OP39.

But the DJ is nice too. I own the DJ2, but both the 36mm DJ and the DJ41 are classic watches that will wear well in virtually all types of settings.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 02:42 PM   #17
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Datejust all the way. Consider the DJ41, easylink, 70 hr. power reserve and new movement.

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 02:57 PM   #18
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Based on your collection I would get the DJ. Or flip the OP and get both.
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 03:53 PM   #19
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
My vote went for the DJ .Bought this one 3 weeks ago & couldn't be happier . I thought the 36mm might feel small on my 7.5" wrist but it really doesn't, in fact it's really comfortable & you can feel it's there as it has a really solid feel to it . And while the jubilee & smooth bezel isn't for everyone , I think it's a great combination & really works with the silver dial as it has a sunburst look to it , but the blue dial does look great also .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (155.5 KB, 353 views)
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 04:21 PM   #20
Cru Jones

The DJ will give you more variety in your collection, but nothing beats getting the one you want most. From your post, it seems like you like the Explorer more?

In true TRF fashion, I chose the “get both” option , but you could also get the DJ first and then decide either to do the flip, stay put or simply change the OP’s dial to a more simple black/baton (you would get to keep “your watch”, spend less and get a similar “feel”).

Good luck with the choice(s)!
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 09:57 PM   #21
doramas
Banned

Both. OP goodbye
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 10:25 PM   #22
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think based on what you own the DJ will enhance your collection and change thinks up a little. I like the explorer but it does not do it for me when you have the GMT in the collection.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 12:40 AM   #23
withnail_jet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
My vote went for the DJ .Bought this one 3 weeks ago & couldn't be happier . I thought the 36mm might feel small on my 7.5" wrist but it really doesn't, in fact it's really comfortable & you can feel it's there as it has a really solid feel to it . And while the jubilee & smooth bezel isn't for everyone , I think it's a great combination & really works with the silver dial as it has a sunburst look to it , but the blue dial does look great also .
Hmm...maybe I should put silver back on the menu. That looks slick! I agree about the sizing – I think it looks perfect on your wrist, and I have about a 6.75" wrist, which is why I'm a tad leery of going with the DJ41 (although I tried one on and it didn't wear nearly as gargantuan as I thought, and as others have pointed out, it's actually a 40).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The DJ will give you more variety in your collection, but nothing beats getting the one you want most. From your post, it seems like you like the Explorer more?
Heh, that's the thing – it's pretty much a dead heat! I honestly don't know which I want. If anything, I'm leaning towards the DJ if only because I'm nigh on certain that pretty soon I'll only be able to get it with Oysterclasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Datejust all the way. Consider the DJ41, easylink, 70 hr. power reserve and new movement.
See above – this might be under consideration for me if not for the clasp action. The only other minor niggle I have with the DJ41 – and it is minor – is that the 36's roman numerals outside the hour batons were replaced with arabic minute markings. For some reason, the roman numerals just look better to my eyes on that dial.
Old 26 December 2018, 01:06 AM   #24
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
I would do this. Flip a coin. If your heart is not happy with what the coin says, get the other watch.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 01:07 AM   #25
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Keeping the gmt and adding the Exp & DJ, would make a great trio!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 01:14 AM   #26
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Keep the GMT and ad a DJ41 Jubilee,wg flluted and magnificent blue dial.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 09:15 AM   #27
Explorer-P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I love my Explorer and would definitely recommend it. A perfect fit for virtually any situation.
Explorer-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 09:21 AM   #28
mixx23
Banned

A plus for the DJ.
mixx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 10:05 AM   #29
withnail_jet
"TRF" Member

...heh, I love the poll results. As of writing, damn near a 3-way tie, which translates to a landslide win for flipping the OP and getting the DJ + Exp! Next step is to decide the best way to sell the OP.
Old 27 December 2018, 10:42 AM   #30
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Dj
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote