The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 December 2018, 12:56 PM   #61
Sinko72
"TRF" Member

Also love watch with date ..
Sinko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 01:09 PM   #62
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
If that is the criteria for wrist presence, we should all be wearing flava flav clocks on our wrist. I sometimes find people wearing 36mm datejusts with a suit to have tremendous wrist presence. It’s all about the watch and how it is being worn. I find someone wearing a deep sea sticking out from underneath a suit cuff to have absolutely the wrong kind of wrist presence..
Just because the watch is bigger doesn't automatically make it a better watch or give it more POSITIVE wrist presence. Some of the Breitlings are huge but they don't look good. They have a large wrist presence but not in a good way.

Could be an age thing, too.....but the younger crowd would likely believe 36 is WAY TOO SMALL to have much wrist presence on a man. That would look great on a woman, however. Again, not knocking the Daytona with the exception of the sizing. It's not even the fact it necessarily is only 39mm.....but it's the fact they try to squeeze a chrono into 39mm. It just looks too crowded. If it were a non-chrono watch, the size would be fine.

The other chrono I think of is the Navitimer Chrono.....I have a 48mm but it's too big. I tried on the 43mm and I felt it was mushed together much like the Daytona. I think the 46mm is a good size for the Navitimer where it nicely showcases the chrono dials. Navitimers wear smaller than their MM size, though, because the watch is all dial and no bezel.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 01:49 PM   #63
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgear080 View Post
No way. Totally normal. I’ve bought and sold countless Daytona’s because they never feel as good as subs to me.
Is that so? Does not sound a plausible thing for a sane person to do. It would make sense if you said "I’ve bought and sold countless Daytona’s because" I make money doing it.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 02:08 PM   #64
juanwinston
"TRF" Member

To quote Hodinkee:

It's amazing to see how we, and even Rolex themselves, treat the Daytona as a sacred object – almost a brand unto itself – managing it even more expertly than the rest of the brand.

It's like the slowest feature creep towards evolution in history, but that's because it doesn't have to be any better. They do treat the Daytona differently – look at the new Sub, the new GMT, they have these broad shoulders that make them feel so new. I think this watch has the exact same dimensions as the Zeniths!

Oh definitely. It's as if touching the case of the Daytona is sacrilege, and you're totally right – it's the the same as it was when they launched the very first self-winding watches in the late '80s. That's amazing. The case of the Daytona is such a big part of what makes them special – the proportions of the vintage and the modern pieces are just perfect.
juanwinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 06:36 PM   #65
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The story goes like this ...

A ss Daytona is like a dog chasing a car .The dog catches the car eventually and then what ??

You love it and keep it .
You are underwhelmed after chasing it and sell it
You are underwhelmed and keep it.

I have 7,7 inch wrists and it looked small compared to eg Sub/GMT on the wrist.
I found the dial small.
I found the time hard to read.
Lack of date was annoying.

I sold them for a profit ,which was a mistake ,because could have gotten much more now.
Even if you dont like, it keep it.

For smaller wrists ,absolutely,it remains a beautiful icon.

Enter the Platona( or like I like to call it the Nespresso) .Had that in hands at the AD.The heft and the look is amazing.If I could afford it, I would buy it

I find it interesting that the ss measures smaller than the PM models.

TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 06:39 PM   #66
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
I agree. Daytona is quite small if you have gotten used to bigger chronos. The long pushers and smooth bezel increase the effect.

White Daytona was my grail and I loaned it from a friend for a week.

I admire it and respect it but it's not a watch for me.

I still wanted a white chronograph and I bought this 45mm instead (with inhouse movement and for a fraction of the Daytona price) and never looked back.

Old 26 December 2018, 07:57 PM   #67
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

It really is just what the eye gets used too . For years I’ve worn 47mm watches but moved too smaller case size (36mm) it felt small for a week or so but after that larger watches just feel and look silly and like they are trying too hard.

I didn’t realise the Daytona was sub 40mm I like it more because of that
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 09:06 PM   #68
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Is that so? Does not sound a plausible thing for a sane person to do. It would make sense if you said "I’ve bought and sold countless Daytona’s because" I make money doing it.
Sherlock on the case...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 09:25 PM   #69
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I agree I have the SS Daytona Ceramic 116500LN.

I absolutely love the watch, but reading the time is at times difficult. Likewise when you see the average shot with the words Daytona in red, there is no way my 50 year old eyes can see that without my glasses and examining the dial in detail.

After 3 months with my 116500Ln I have decided;

It is a keeper.
It's not an everyday watch, for example at work I need to see the time in
an instant. My Omega does this better.
For nights out, or more formal occasions the 116500Ln is my default
choice.
I've had many comments on the Daytona, all positive, including twice - I
don't usually like Rolex but that is lovely, both times this was a lady
commenting..

I think that the below shot just shows the difference on how difficult the time is to read in an instant on the 116500LN, put in the factor of 90% of the time I need reading glasses then you may see my point.

compare.jpg
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 09:29 PM   #70
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Daytona feels so small

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
Does anyone have compassion pictures between SS and PM?

Here’s a good comparison

GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 09:40 PM   #71
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have found that I adjust to the size of a watch by wearing it. Put the others up and wear the Daytona-C. After a few days it will become the norm and other will fell too large.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 10:13 PM   #72
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
A visitor from another planet would surely wonder why the hottest watch on the planet gets so much hate from TRF.
When are you going back?
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 10:30 PM   #73
Robertolewis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
DO NOT DO WHAT I DID!
I got my black one and it felt so much smaller than my Sub C and Explorer etc and I sold it. After it was gone I realized how good it was and paid premium for a second with a white face and now I have it.
No regrets but sometimes you have to learn hard lessons.
And if you decide its too small hit me up!
Robertolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 10:33 PM   #74
M3.
"TRF" Member

They are small but very mighty.
M3. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 10:37 PM   #75
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Daytona’s are not small they are just not jumbo turds that need a huge size that screams look at me!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 10:43 PM   #76
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
What exactly do people mean by wrist presence?

Is it how it looks to other people?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 10:53 PM   #77
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

It’s perfection on the wrist.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 10:58 PM   #78
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post

In general, I think it means how noticeable the watch is. Larger being better. Louder colors. Yellow gold. A watch that everyone knows is expensive. Etc.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 11:50 PM   #79
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
It may not stick but give it time. It's easy to get used to and fall for the 116500.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 12:00 AM   #80
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post

How it looks and feels for myself
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 12:14 AM   #81
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
When are you going back?
Oh, I'm not the visitor, I was just making a casual observation that I find it odd that the most sought after watch in the world garners so much criticism on TRF. My attempt at the use of humor to illustrate that point must have missed its mark and confused you somehow, for which I apologize.

I hope this clears things up for you.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 12:15 AM   #82
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
In general, I think it means how noticeable the watch is. Larger being better. Louder colors. Yellow gold. A watch that everyone knows is expensive. Etc.

That's what I think as well.

The popular answer to lots of 'Which would you buy...' questions on here is buy the one you like, don't worry about what other think. I totally agree with this by the way.

Surely talking about watch presence is talking about what others might think of your watch!

I regularly wear Daytonas, I have stainless steel and white gold versions. I like how they wear, but to me, different versions feel different to wear. To me, 16520s look a bit smaller than 116520s. I suspect that this is because the lugs and bracelet are brushed on the 16520 where they are polished on the 116520. The 116509 bracelet watch feels slightly bigger than the SS versions. I know they are actually slightly bigger, but they feel noticeably bigger to me to wear. To me the 116519 leather strap version feels bigger still. I suspect that this has something to do with the end links on a strap watch.

To me, all of the Daytonas I have tried have been comfortable watches, they certainly don't feel small. As to if they have wrist presence, I have no idea.

I can only remember noticing two other possible Rolex watches being worn recently. One was a white dial 116500 which surprisingly, looked a bit too big and obvious to me. The other looked like either a gold Sub or GMT, I couldn't tell which. It was being worn by someone who was quite happy that everyone could see it and hear him! The wearer made me think of Dell Boy, a character on the TV in the U.K. so I don't know if it was a genuine Rolex or not. I suppose both of these must have had some sort or wrist presence because I noticed them. Weather this presence was a positive thing is another question entirely.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 12:48 AM   #83
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I always thought it was small when shopping for them, I really think it is optical to get everything on the dial. The size issue goes away with ownership at least for me but yes the 45.5 PO is a factor.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:41 AM   #84
Bryano1028
"TRF" Member

I dealt with this same thing a few years back when i went from a daily of over 6 years in a Breitling Seawolf Avenger 45MM. The watch wore even bigger than that as it was massively thick and very heavy for a stainless watch. I had tried on a WG Smurf some years back before my dive into rolexes and it felt so so light.

Fast forward to my first Rolex purchase a black GMT II about 2 1/2 years ago and it felt so small, so light, so thin. It felt like I had nothing on my wrist. The initial shock wore off after about 2-3 weeks of every day wear. Now when I try on a PM 40MM Rolex, it has such a nice heavy presence, something that would have been completely lost before.

The Daytona does wear 1-2MM smaller than your typical Sub or 40MM sports watch and the depth feels slightly thinner as well. I do not own a Daytona, but it’s grown on me. You’ll be just fine and trust me that after a few months of daily wear, if you try on a Sub or other 40MM model, it will feel big to you.
Bryano1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:51 AM   #85
hodie9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN,116519LN
I too had a 45.5 PO but sold it after getting my Daytonas because it seemed way too big for me and bought a 42 mm PO to make it a more comfortable switch. Daytona wears perfect imo.
Old 27 December 2018, 02:13 AM   #86
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
For my 6.75" wrist ... it fits perfect.
I am still hunting for 500C.
If anyone think their's is too small, I'll take it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona-sub - 800.jpg (144.6 KB, 180 views)
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 02:25 AM   #87
elffy29
Banned

I have different experience. I've got my a week ago and it's feels perfect. But this is my first Rolex watch.
elffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 02:55 AM   #88
Watchdaytona
"TRF" Member

Well it all depends on your wrist size, doesn't really make a lot of sense to say the watch is to small. Maybe your too big for the watch. Same goes with the Deep Sea, it's not too big a watch, just too big for certain people. Both are lovely watches, I'm comfortable wearing a Daytona and can't pull off a Deep Sea. Fortunately I much prefer the look and functionality of 116500LN over a divers watch that I'll never need.
Watchdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 02:57 AM   #89
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdaytona View Post
Well it all depends on your wrist size, doesn't really make a lot of sense to say the watch is to small. Maybe your too big for the watch. Same goes with the Deep Sea, it's not too big a watch, just too big for certain people. Both are lovely watches, I'm comfortable wearing a Daytona and can't pull off a Deep Sea. Fortunately I much prefer the look and functionality of 116500LN over a divers watch that I'll never need.
it also depends on if you need to go on a diet.

Your watch is the first warning something may be wrong. If a daytona is too small, check your BMI.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 03:10 AM   #90
sawhornsoff
2024 Pledge Member

Keep the Daytona. I’ve got mine on today and love it.

I wear big watches (Yacht 2, Panerai 243, Sky D...) and rotate through others that seem bigger (BLNR, BLRO) but despite the size, the Daytona seems to get noticed more.
sawhornsoff is offline   Reply With Quote