The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2020, 05:49 AM   #1
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Question for those who own BOTH Rolex and GS

I have the opportunity to one heck of a deal on a Grand Seiko. To be honest I have never ever even considered the watch. However the deal seem really good. I have heard the quality of GS compared to Patek!! So my questions for any of you guys and gals who own both brands, what can someone used to Rolex and Omega expect quality-wise from a GS? Thanks in advance
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 05:55 AM   #2
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Which reference GS?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:05 AM   #3
Tangier11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Which reference GS?
SBGA387
w/Blue Snowflake Dial
Old 20 January 2020, 06:08 AM   #4
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Superb craftsmanship, exceptional timekeeping. However, you have to like the aesthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:10 AM   #5
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Had a GS and wore it for almost 4 years straight. Its a awesome brand and extremely accurate. If you like the way it looks it cant be beat for the price.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:11 AM   #6
Tangier11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Superb craftsmanship, exceptional timekeeping. However, you have to like the aesthetic

Thank you. Vs a Rolex's quality and durability?
Old 20 January 2020, 06:11 AM   #7
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
In my experience, don't buy something because "it's a good deal".
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:13 AM   #8
Tangier11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
In my experience, don't buy something because "it's a good deal".
Great point, I guess I should elaborate a bit. I LOVE the light blue snowflake dial!
Old 20 January 2020, 06:14 AM   #9
IR201
"TRF" Member

Just be prepared for the bracelet to not be as good
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:20 AM   #10
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quality is excellent, I don't think anyone in the <$30K does better dials. The finish, be it high polished or brushed, on the indices, hands is absolute top notch. Static photos can't do justice to the lively depth of finish and movement on their textured dials.
The quality of case finish, be it brushed or polished is fantastic with clean sharp lines and edges ( although if I'm honest, my eyes can't tell between a regular polish and zaratsu polish ).

that said, I only only one at the moment, SBGE201 because many of the styles, being around 40mm, feel and look a bit small on me. If that's your size though and you like the style, don't hesitate from a quality POV.

Bracelet is just fine BTW, not up their with IWC but on par with the Oyster.

not a great pic sorry

dial detail

Old 20 January 2020, 06:22 AM   #11
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Just be prepared for the bracelet to not be as good
This is a good point. One thing that is easy to get used to, is the quality of the modern rolex bracelets. You only really realize how good they are when you try to buy a non-rolex.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:43 AM   #12
BamaHammer
Banned

Watch: Rolex Submariner
The SKX is the only Seiko family member to own. And it's discontinued, so it will go up in value by at least 30% over the next few years.
BamaHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:47 AM   #13
notchview
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD 326933 Black
Finally a quality thread on this forum.

Does anyone have a hot take on the reliability of GS movements vs Rolex? I heard the 36000 is more susceptible to wear because of the high frequency.
notchview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:55 AM   #14
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

While I don't own a gs, I do have interest in them. Agreed with other comments. The craftsmanship and finish are absolutely top notch. Bracelet is only average and feels very light. The dials are amongst the best I've seen on any watch, especially their blue dials.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 07:42 AM   #15
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

I've had many GS. GS quality surpasses Rolex in some details such as hand/dial and case finishing. But in the end, I still choose Rolex for their superior choice of materials, bracelets/clasp design, and ease of servicing.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 07:53 AM   #16
Fredamens
"TRF" Member

GS blue dials are stunning

Fredamens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:06 AM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I own both. For me, GS is the most comparable brand with regards to putting on a watch and getting that same feeling you get when you put on a Rolex. The fit and finishing are superb. The dial is crisp and legible. It just feels right.

With regard to movement reliability, the spring drive in the sbga387 is going to be more accurate than any rolex. For the poster who commented on the hi-beat movement , yes in general hi-beats from any brand in theory are going to suffer more wear and tear. I haven’t had any issues with mine though.

As far as the SBGA387- first, this is not a blue “snowflake” dial... so if you haven’t seen it in person, then you may be getting something you aren’t expecting. This is the one GS I owned and sold (luckily without taking a loss) because I just never bonded w the baby blue color and the reflectivity of the kirazuri dial. With that said, I may be in the minority as this model gets a lot of love on TRF.

One final point - I always think twice when I find myself thinking about buying a watch because of a “good deal” unless it was the watch at the top of my list that I would have purchased with or without a “deal”.

Good luck w your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:13 AM   #18
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by notchview View Post
Finally a quality thread on this forum.

Does anyone have a hot take on the reliability of GS movements vs Rolex? I heard the 36000 is more susceptible to wear because of the high frequency.
I've owned several vintage GS with 36000 movements that were still running perfectly after 50 years. The couple that needed an overhaul came back running like new, from a private watchmaker, with no replacement parts required. I expect the modern ones are even more durable.
Old 20 January 2020, 08:14 AM   #19
bezler
"TRF" Member

The GS finishing and detail work is far, far beyond Rolex - they're in a totally different league. However, Rolex watches are reliable workhorses that can last a lifetime, and can be serviced many places. With GS, who really knows?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 20 January 2020, 08:37 AM   #20
michael8238
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing
I don't think the overall quality is comparable to Patek---in my honest opinion, GS has been hyped up quite a bit by the internet.
Owning both Rolex and GS, I'll say this, GS has some of the best hands & dial finish (better than most Rolex to my eyes).
The case finish is very good as well, as good as Rolex.
Movement finish is very so-so, below Omega (again, to my eyes).
Bracelet is very mediocre--old design, not particularly handsome and very generic clasp.
Overall, I feel like GS/Seiko haven't evolved that much in terms of design and tech.
They've been sitting on the design & formula they already had 10,15 years ago.
Just my .02
michael8238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:57 AM   #21
Brny11
"TRF" Member

It is superior in everyway, (exception is the bracelet - they are the worst), and are super cool to talk about to those interested. You will find yourself studying the history, technology and if you are getting a spring drive, you will be memorized by that sweep.

However, I just always went back to my Rolex / Omega / Tudor. Bought two, sold both. What makes them great, also makes them tough to own. The case polishing is too delicate for me to enjoy wearing. If you can get over bracelet and your not too concerned about the condition over time, go for it. Absolutely wonderful from horological perspective.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:08 AM   #22
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
It is superior in everyway, (exception is the bracelet - they are the worst), and are super cool to talk about to those interested. You will find yourself studying the history, technology and if you are getting a spring drive, you will be memorized by that sweep.

However, I just always went back to my Rolex / Omega / Tudor. Bought two, sold both. What makes them great, also makes them tough to own. The case polishing is too delicate for me to enjoy wearing. If you can get over bracelet and your not too concerned about the condition over time, go for it. Absolutely wonderful from horological perspective.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I really like the bracelet on my sbgt235, it feels more secure, lighter, smoother-opening and closing, and better finished than my Milgauss bracelet. The only downside is a lack of easy adjustment.
Old 20 January 2020, 09:09 AM   #23
NYYNYG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 16753
If I’m not mistaken I think it comes on a strap so the weakest link is eliminated. It’s a beautiful watch and will likely be an incoming for myself soon. Get it don’t think you will regret it
Old 20 January 2020, 09:10 AM   #24
Want_bourbon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Daytona
I've owned multiple of both, and I find Grand Seiko to be more interesting as it's newer and the dials typically have more personality due to the texture, but I'll always prefer to wear a Rolex.

Grand Seiko makes very few good sports models. The SBGE201 which is posted above is one of my absolute favorites in the line, and I'd include the SBGE245, which was the maroon dial LE in there. Each are about $6K, so if I wanted a sports watch in that range with a complication and bezel, there isn't a Rolex to compare.

Most Grand Seikos are comparable to all steel datejust models. The SBGA387 (which I did have for a year) is right around the same price as a DJ36, but obviously has a cooler movement and more impressive dial. If that's what I had to spend, I'd be choosing the Grand Seiko without a doubt. Now if we compare it to a DJ41 with a fluted bezel, I'm choosing the DJ as I love the look of the bezel, and it isn't like the Rolex dials aren't good. They're very good, but traditional.

As others have also said, Rolex bracelet is by far superior. Not only do they feel like they are better constructed, but the EZ-link extension has ruined most other bracelets for me. I live in the south. If I eat crawfish, I need those 5mm. When it goes from 65 and chilly to 90 and all humidity, I don't want to go to the AD to get resized. That could be weekly.

In the end, but what you want. If you want that 387, get it as there aren't any more available. If you regret it and want the Rolex, you'll get your money back to go buy it.

Best of luck.
Want_bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:13 AM   #25
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
This is a good point. One thing that is easy to get used to, is the quality of the modern rolex bracelets. You only really realize how good they are when you try to buy a non-rolex.
Agreed.
Personally, I only consider a GS if it's going on a very nice strap. Everywhere else and for the most part the GS watches seem to be turned out better than a Rolex.
The one thing I think that currently lurkers in the background around GS is their commitment to longer term parts availability. That's all
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:16 AM   #26
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Lack of adjustment is a problem i have. But they are beautiful timepieces.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 10:02 AM   #27
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabreath View Post
I've had many GS. GS quality surpasses Rolex in some details such as hand/dial and case finishing. But in the end, I still choose Rolex for their superior choice of materials, bracelets/clasp design, and ease of servicing.
Finishing is very subjective...I also find Rolex superior in every way . Rolex really excels in the design/style category......everyone tries to copy their timeless designs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaHammer View Post
The SKX is the only Seiko family member to own. And it's discontinued, so it will go up in value by at least 30% over the next few years.
You must have one of those crystal balls..... I’m going to buy 20 tomorrow!
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 10:03 AM   #28
Tangier11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
Finishing is very subjective...I also find Rolex superior in every way . Rolex really excels in the design/style category......everyone tries to copy their timeless designs..

You must have one of those crystal balls..... I’m going to buy 20 tomorrow!
Old 20 January 2020, 10:19 AM   #29
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
GS blue dials are stunning

I like that what’s the reference for that?
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 10:34 AM   #30
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I would think long and hard before deciding unless, as others have said, it was originally on your radar. For me, I have pondered over and over about GS, almost pulling the trigger a few times but when I sleep over it, I always wake up with less enthusiasm.

On the other hand, deciding to get a particular AP RO, zero hesitation, zero regret. It’s probably what others meant by when a watch sings to you.

My 2 cents.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote