The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2020, 06:21 AM   #1
Sam94
"TRF" Member

Should I keep inquiring about a waitlisted piece?

Hi everyone, I called early March of 2019 for a black submariner date and was told by my AD that I would get one but there would be a wait. I called a second time in late July asking about the status and how it was looking for the watch. I was replied to with a sort of an awkward bothering tone from my sales rep (who I have purchase history from) saying I would have to be patient. I asked about how far up the wait list I was and if I could put a deposit down and was told they don’t keep an actual list and they don’t accept deposits. I then replied politely to him that that’s not a problem and I will await his call in the future.

It’s been almost a year and it’s getting kind of ridiculous in my eyes for just a black sub date.... I am wondering if my best choice would be to ask again about the status of the watch when it’s been a full year of waiting or if I should wait it out for the phone call?

Thanks everyone and if you have a similar situation I would love to hear about it below.
Sam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:24 AM   #2
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Doesn't sound too promising to me to be honest. I'd call and then move on most likely.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:25 AM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Get on multiple lists

Send your SA another email. You haven’t been too annoying yet
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:30 AM   #4
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Skip silly AD-games and just go grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:37 AM   #5
EndlessEight
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
You're not valued.

Buy the watch elsewhere and return to the AD with your watch to gloat.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:41 AM   #6
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I wouldn't be holding my breath for a call. It's been a year since they told you, "don't call us, we'll call you". They won't be calling.

They also reinforced that there's not an actual list you're moving up. It's really a situation where if a Sub comes in and there's no valued customer that wants it, they'll call you rather than putting it straight in the case.
Bryan81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:42 AM   #7
cat1pro
"TRF" Member

persistence overcomes resistance
cat1pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:53 AM   #8
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Vancouver is a very tough market. Stop by in person to distinguish yourself from the other 50 calls they get every day.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:56 AM   #9
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
You're not valued.

That's EXACTLY what I do to the morons at Tourneau
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:56 AM   #10
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam94 View Post
Hi everyone, I called early March of 2019 for a black submariner date and was told by my AD that I would get one but there would be a wait. I called a second time in late July asking about the status and how it was looking for the watch. I was replied to with a sort of an awkward bothering tone from my sales rep (who I have purchase history from) saying I would have to be patient. I asked about how far up the wait list I was and if I could put a deposit down and was told they don’t keep an actual list and they don’t accept deposits. I then replied politely to him that that’s not a problem and I will await his call in the future.

It’s been almost a year and it’s getting kind of ridiculous in my eyes for just a black sub date.... I am wondering if my best choice would be to ask again about the status of the watch when it’s been a full year of waiting or if I should wait it out for the phone call?

Thanks everyone and if you have a similar situation I would love to hear about it below.
What are you waiting for? He said he's not keeping a list, so that means you're not on a list then. I would try a different AD.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:57 AM   #11
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Do you have buying history and have you bought recently other items etc?
That makes the difference
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:02 AM   #12
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Move on. These types of AD games are ridiculous. And for a Sub.

116610LN — MAYBE 6 months ANYWHERE.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:03 AM   #13
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Saying that there is no list is a subtle way of saying that you’re not going to get it unless you make some more purchases. Just my opinion. You can flat out ask him if buying something else will guarantee you allotment. But if that’s the case I would just purchase grey.
Good luck!

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:17 AM   #14
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
You've been pretty patient already I'd say. Last time you made contact was in July. Definitely call back or stop in.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:18 AM   #15
zeeww
"TRF" Member

Time to move on, unfortunately.

They’re not serious about wanting your business, and even stopping in more often wouldn’t make it better IMHO. I’d vote with my feet and seek elsewhere
zeeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:26 AM   #16
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Sounds like these guys are the typical entitled AD. Vote with your dollars and pay a little more for grey, it's not too bad on the sub. Don't forget this treatment when the tides change and they're begging for your business.

When that time comes (and it will), flippantly tell them that they're near the top of your list to buy a watch, and you'll let them know when their number comes up. :P
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:31 AM   #17
Hibbyx
Banned

Watch: Bluesy, Seadweller
Call your AD talk to your sales guy and be frank "am I getting this watch anytime soon, Do I need to look elsewhere?
Hibbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:32 AM   #18
mrcsatx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Vancouver is a very tough market. Stop by in person to distinguish yourself from the other 50 calls they get every day.
This....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mrcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:33 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You mentioned you have a purchase history ... I’d go in person and speak to your rep. If you don’t get a warm fuzzy feeling after that conversation, I’d go elsewhere.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:40 AM   #20
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
Phone calls are a waste of time.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:53 AM   #21
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
You're not valued.

I’ve totally done this on purpose and accidentally on separate occasions at the same AD. I’ve yet to get a call for anything from them, but they are convenient so I stop in once a month or so. Every time I am wearing a different watch. Same sales associate notices me walking in. It’s great I keep telling him he’s missing out on business, but it falls to a deaf ear so... not my problem.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:17 AM   #22
Sam94
"TRF" Member

The only thing is I live about an hour away from the AD and I’m very busy with the business I own.. even to take a trip out there is an inconvenience really. Paying over retail for a luxury item is kind of silly in my mind too but that’s the market we are left with. Really pushing my towards other brands
Sam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:18 AM   #23
WhiteRhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Gloat? Do you really think an AD cares you purchased your watch somewhere else? They have access to pretty much any Rolex (besides the obvious few). They just choose not to sell to YOU. I say go gray and pay the premium. The gray premium on lots of watches isnt as much as some may think.
WhiteRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:20 AM   #24
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

1 year for a Sub date with prior purchases does not sound good to me. I would try with other ADs as well. You can inquire, and be polite. Don’t call, walk in and have a friendly conversation

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:55 AM   #25
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Skip silly AD-games and just go grey.

Well put
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:01 AM   #26
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

The one time I waited for a watch I followed up via email every 3-4 weeks to check in

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:05 AM   #27
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:

Go gray the premiums aren’t crazy high on a sub. You can have the watch tomorrow. Short story I told my AD I wanted a sub date. He told me
About a month wait. 3 months later I said hey I might by a dd40 what can you throw in to sweeten the deal ? His response was I can Throw in a sub date with a smiley face. I thought wow really ? What happened to the sub you were going to get me just for being a loyal customer. That was the day I went gray haha
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:10 AM   #28
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Buy one used, unworn, now, for a very reasonable premium. The market could change significantly after Basel with new releases making the old models impossible to find as the new ones are waitlisted for 20 years or more.

These have been scarce this past year for a good reason only Rolex knows. Go grey today, as they say.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:14 AM   #29
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1nky_Up View Post
I’ve totally done this on purpose and accidentally on separate occasions at the same AD. I’ve yet to get a call for anything from them, but they are convenient so I stop in once a month or so. Every time I am wearing a different watch. Same sales associate notices me walking in. It’s great I keep telling him he’s missing out on business, but it falls to a deaf ear so... not my problem.

If you go there with a platinum DD I think you can rub their nose in it. If you go in with a hot SS piece they won’t feel like they missed out. Those are already sold the minute they’re unboxed.
When my SA saw my GMT he asked where I got it and when I told him grey his only comment was to make sure I trust the seller.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:14 AM   #30
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

You do realise that the local grey dealer is probably the same guy that the ad is selling his stock to. Ask yourself this... if there is no list, how does your AD prioritise who he sells to. The answer is simple, he has a select few of very valued clients that he keeps in regular contact with and the rest of his stock gets sold to the grey market.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote