The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2020, 07:40 PM   #1
makebread
"TRF" Member

Proper etiquette when following up on waitlist?

Hi all,

I understand there's no rule of thumb for this one, but I'm curious to hear different approaches.

Enquired about an Explorer 1 just over two weeks ago. My AD (who I bought from before, a few years ago), said the wait "wouldn't be long at all". I went in and signed a document to be put on the waitlist.

I'm not intending on following up just yet (maybe another week or so), but what's the best way to do so without getting on their nerves?

Email?
Phone call?
In-person?
Not at all and let them do their thing?

I'm really itching for this watch so I want to show them that I'm not one of those just-put-me-on-the-list-and-I'll-turn-it-down-later type of people.
makebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 07:54 PM   #2
Watch_a_holic
"TRF" Member

Watch: a_holic
Same here, I'm on the waiting list for a 41mm datejust blue dial with a Jubilee bracelet, the've told me it is a 2 months wait. Been now 2 weeks and followed up with a phone call the've just replied with the "we still didn't receive shipment" TBO don't bother bout it it'll show up soon eventually maybe a month or 2.
Watch_a_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 07:58 PM   #3
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
I would just leave the AD alone. Remember they get tons of requests everyday for the same watches. If anything just stop by occasionally to say hello would be the best thing imo.
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 08:02 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makebread View Post
Hi all,

I understand there's no rule of thumb for this one, but I'm curious to hear different approaches.

Enquired about an Explorer 1 just over two weeks ago. My AD (who I bought from before, a few years ago), said the wait "wouldn't be long at all". I went in and signed a document to be put on the waitlist.

I'm not intending on following up just yet (maybe another week or so), but what's the best way to do so without getting on their nerves?

Email?
Phone call?
In-person?

I'm really itching for this watch so I want to show them that I'm not one of those just-put-me-on-the-list-and-I'll-turn-it-down-later type of people.

Guys they are just a retail shop that sells watches nothing more,and just like your local supermarket and the thousands of other retail establishments.They are in business just to sell there products to anyone who enters there place of business.And do not need any sort of etiquette just common sense and politeness like you would do the same in any retail store.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 08:12 PM   #5
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
I stop by my local AD every 3-4 months and occasionally send an e-mail to my asking what's in store.

Just be cool & patient.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 08:36 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Guys they are just a retail shop that sells watches nothing more,and just like your local supermarket and the thousands of other retail establishments.They are in business just to sell there products to anyone who enters there place of business.And do not need any sort of etiquette just common sense and politeness like you would do the same in any retail store.
11/10 Peter.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 08:42 PM   #7
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I would pop by in person periodically. I don’t care how many calls they get daily. Showing your face means more and they can see you’ve made the effort.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:01 PM   #8
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I would pop by in person periodically. I don’t care how many calls they get daily. Showing your face means more and they can see you’ve made the effort.
And this
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:05 PM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Agreed

Many people are really desperate. Sadly fascinating to watch
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:14 PM   #10
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I don’t think there is a proper edicate. Treat people like how you would like to be treated... don’t let people play mind games with you... there are other watches available to buy
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:23 PM   #11
kevc
"TRF" Member

Whatsapp
kevc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:41 PM   #12
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
As noted, they're just a retail store looking to sell stuff. The best way to be remembered (and possibly slide up the list a little bit) is to stop by periodically and buy something.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:46 PM   #13
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Agree!
Old 13 February 2020, 10:51 PM   #14
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed, people act as if they're getting ready to meet the queen or something. Tread likely and walk on eggshells, etc..
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 10:59 PM   #15
KBM

Quote:
I agree with Peter, just be polite and friendly.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 11:33 PM   #16
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Text them daily....

Really just check in periodically to stay fresh on their minds. Small talk first before asking about that Daytona
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 11:47 PM   #17
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adawil2002 View Post
I stop by my local AD every 3-4 months and occasionally send an e-mail to my asking what's in store.

Just be cool & patient.
Quote:
All of these above, I think if it's a Datejust, it'll come through.

Be nice and genuine about it, like how you want to be treated.

JasTPE
JasTPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 11:49 PM   #18
ms9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I disagree. A Rolex AD is nothing like a local supermarket. The supermarket has milk sitting in the fridge ready to be picked up and bought. The AD has all the goodies in the back.

Politeness yes.
ms9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 11:54 PM   #19
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms9 View Post
I disagree. A Rolex AD is nothing like a local supermarket. The supermarket has milk sitting in the fridge ready to be picked up and bought. The AD has all the goodies in the back.

Politeness yes.
Agreed. I don’t think a supermarket could be much farther from reality as a current analogy.....
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 11:57 PM   #20
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

I tend to wander into ADs on a regular basis because I enjoy looking at watches. No idea if that helps or doesn't matter, but I don't do anything special to push my case for the watch I want.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:01 AM   #21
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
I bow and a follow up curtsy to the men and women when entering any Rolex Dealership.

But, It can be somewhat intimidating, walking into a retail shop for many, I’d wager.
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:04 AM   #22
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Agreed. I don’t think a supermarket could be much farther from reality as a current analogy.....
What about “Whole Paycheck” I mean “Whole Foods” their pricing methods are equivalent....
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:12 AM   #23
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Hi all,

Email?
Phone call?
In-person?

Only with a brand like Rolex could we have posts about etiquette when trying to spend money

On a serious note, pop in every few months, maybe buy some bits here and there, and try not to over think it
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:22 AM   #24
makebread
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the input so far. The ridicule, not so much.

I don't agree with the sentiment that it's just like any other shop. As someone rightly pointed out, the most popular Rolex models, such as the Explorer, are rarely sitting in windows ready to be picked up. We've heard the stories about preferential treatment to VIPs and returning big-spenders. Of fake waitlists. Of things being "in the safe". So I do think you have to approach this game with a little finesse.

The reason I asked in the first place, and used the phrase "get on their nerves", is because I'm leaving the country in roughly 3 months. If I was here for the long haul, I could wait 6, 7, 8 months no problem. But considering this AD said it was realistic to get this piece in, I'm really hoping it comes through before I leave.

So I need to do a bit of badgering to remind him "hey, I'm still here!"
makebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:35 AM   #25
Azul
"TRF" Member

If it has already been two weeks, pop in again soon. Even if it is a "just happened to be in the area" visit. Don't ask for anything, just show your face and be friendly.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:42 AM   #26
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

And when you are one of several dozen people doing the same thing, what then?

Sorry if you feel you are being "ridiculed"
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:42 AM   #27
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate the input so far. The ridicule, not so much.

I don't agree with the sentiment that it's just like any other shop. As someone rightly pointed out, the most popular Rolex models, such as the Explorer, are rarely sitting in windows ready to be picked up. We've heard the stories about preferential treatment to VIPs and returning big-spenders. Of fake waitlists. Of things being "in the safe". So I do think you have to approach this game with a little finesse.

The reason I asked in the first place, and used the phrase "get on their nerves", is because I'm leaving the country in roughly 3 months. If I was here for the long haul, I could wait 6, 7, 8 months no problem. But considering this AD said it was realistic to get this piece in, I'm really hoping it comes through before I leave.

Your options are:

-Spend a thousands at the AD and hope they are simply lying to you about availability. Big drawback here is that you've just ridiculously overpaid for a watch you can buy at a grey for not much markup, and you might still be waiting if the AD isn't lying to you about the wait

-Go on the wait list. Stop in and say hey once in a while. The list could be fake, but so what? You're waiting one way or another. Be nice, maybe stop in once a month, strike up a convo with one of the sales people and make sure they know you're serious about paying on the spot.

-Go grey. You'll pay a bit of a markup, but you'll have the watch you want, right now.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:46 AM   #28
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Your goal is to get an explorer I. That's a watch they are going to get, but question is how often. The best way to answer your question is for you to ask the AD a question. What day of the week does your shipment arrive? Shall I call text or email you that day each week? would you rather just email or text me? Introduce yourself to all the SA's so they your name and what watch you want. Also mention to the manager that you will be out of the area soon.
Old 14 February 2020, 12:48 AM   #29
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
I'm guessing you are looking for a way to get your watch sooner?

The best way to go there and buy things they have on display.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:56 AM   #30
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Bought 7 watches from my AD since 2017. My SA says I'm a good customer. I'm waiting for a BLRO and told him I'm wont even ask how long. He thanked me for that. Just going to wait to get the call.
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote