The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2020, 01:02 AM   #31
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Guys they are just a retail shop that sells watches nothing more,and just like your local supermarket and the thousands of other retail establishments.They are in business just to sell there products to anyone who enters there place of business.And do not need any sort of etiquette just common sense and politeness like you would do the same in any retail store.
That isn't necessarily true..... They are human beings with feelings and flaws. They get 50 calls a day from random people looking to buy hot watches. One more phone call is like kids in the backseat asking "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet..."

Go in person from time to time and just chat. Treat them like a friend. Better yet, be an actual friend.
Old 14 February 2020, 01:03 AM   #32
stlwatchlvr
"TRF" Member

I think it is sales associate dependent. I'm working with two ADs right now. One seems to be more than happy to get a call from me every week or so because they get stuff in every week now. He has a lot of people he is working with, so I think keeping top of mind is a good idea with him. The other AD sales associate is far less interested in engaging in regular dialogue and essentially reminds me that I'm "on the list". I'm not bothering her.

I do think making regular visits is a VERY good idea. They are people and don't mind the contact. They get people calling them from all over the country trying to buy something and flip it. I think they are partial to people with faces.

I believe Rolex has given advice to most if not all ADs on how to handle these questions without discouraging people. Really, it's an amazing global scale psychology experiment that Rolex is undertaking. How long can you keep people waiting without driving them into the arms of another lover...

Last edited by stlwatchlvr; 14 February 2020 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: just wanted to add a few extra points
stlwatchlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:22 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Flowers and chocolates.

And don't forget tomorrow is Valentines Day so drop in and say hi.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:27 AM   #34
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Flowers and chocolates.

As a matter of fact with my short visit to my A.D. yesterday I walked out with a beautiful diamond heart necklace for my wife’s valentine day present! I think the SA was pleasantly surprised!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:29 AM   #35
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
two weeks ain’t a long time.

maybe every six weeks or so i might touch base if that.

i don’t ask my guy how long it will be. when he can, he’ll give me an estimate.

*NB: it’s valentines week. jewelers are almost as busy right now as they are at christmas. i’d caution that you give them some space right this moment.
Old 14 February 2020, 01:30 AM   #36
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
What about “Whole Paycheck” I mean “Whole Foods” their pricing methods are equivalent....
"Whole Paycheck" ? Not true anymore. Since Amazon purchased Whole Foods their prices are very competitive with the other chain stores.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:42 AM   #37
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Flowers and chocolates.

Flowers and chocolates? Say it ain't so!

Oh wait...you meant they are going to give me flowers and chocolates right?
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:45 AM   #38
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I am on the waitlist for my 2nd watch with this AD and I try to connect every 4-6 weeks. Email, or ideally in person, just to let them know that I am still interested. Do not want to be apest, and any more than that would be. I am on the third month of what they said would be a tewlve month wait, so come 12 months I will be a bit more diligent.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 02:12 AM   #39
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit View Post
i would pop by in person periodically. I don’t care how many calls they get daily. Showing your face means more and they can see you’ve made the effort.

+1.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #40
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Every AD operates differently my SA knows I don't have a habit of popping in unless I'm actually in the area. I typically would ask for a watch and don't really follow up, it just goes to the back of my mind since buying watches isn't my biggest priority. As far as my AD goes waitlists are very subjective. They do keep a list of good clients who are interested. Sometimes it's not a first come first serve basis as many would like to believe though.

Once I turned down a piece I was called for. Apparently it was pulled from another person ahead of me on the list, I wasn't told the exact reason so I didn't pry. As I was sitting there my SA was talking to me about how they picked me over someone else and that the other person was trying to get the same piece for a special occasion but the manager was worried because I was a really good customer and they haven't gotten any waitlist pieces for me in a while.
I then just told the SA I'd be happy to let the other person get the watch and I'll wait for the next one which really took him aback. Turns out the other person wanted to get the piece as a gift to celebrate his dad's 60th birthday. Later I guess my SA told them I declined the piece so that they could get it and they called from the AD to thank me as the father's birthday was only two weeks away. I think the SA was really appreciative since he could please another customer without neglecting another.
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:19 PM   #41
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by makebread View Post
Appreciate the input so far. The ridicule, not so much.

I don't agree with the sentiment that it's just like any other shop. As someone rightly pointed out, the most popular Rolex models, such as the Explorer, are rarely sitting in windows ready to be picked up. We've heard the stories about preferential treatment to VIPs and returning big-spenders. Of fake waitlists. Of things being "in the safe". So I do think you have to approach this game with a little finesse.

The reason I asked in the first place, and used the phrase "get on their nerves", is because I'm leaving the country in roughly 3 months. If I was here for the long haul, I could wait 6, 7, 8 months no problem. But considering this AD said it was realistic to get this piece in, I'm really hoping it comes through before I leave.

So I need to do a bit of badgering to remind him "hey, I'm still here!"
If timescale is tight as you’re leaving the country, badger away.
Alternatively there isn’t much premium via great market on an explorer so just go that route
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 03:11 AM   #42
makebread
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I followed up in various ways and it didn't seem to boost my chances. Waiting is the best policy, it seems :)
makebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 03:50 AM   #43
Xenon
Banned

Just show up at the AD and yell and scream and then storm out the door shouting "I'd have bought that watch today if you'd let me!".
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 03:51 AM   #44
waynorth
"TRF" Member

The AD's most definitely play favorites. I tried asking a SA about a Sea Dweller, he said he hasn't seen one since Jan 2019. I then just Facebook messaged the manager, who is the mother of a colleague, and she asked me what other watches I was interested in. I will go in and try it on when it arrives in a few weeks.
waynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 04:34 AM   #45
Spence4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I put a deposit down for a BLRO and was told it would be a year. I did the email check in a month later and the SA said, “Don’t worry, you’re all set.” I had zero contact for the next ten months and then got an email out of the blue saying my watch had arrived.

All ADs are different.
Spence4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 04:52 AM   #46
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Hard to believe y'all put up with this. I'd either pay a grey or move on.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 04:55 AM   #47
stockae92
"TRF" Member

If you buy a platinum day date, your Explorer will magically show up on the same day ;-)

AD will take care of their returning customer first, and new customer do get watches, but that the list is a lot of slower.

be patient and polite, check back maybe once a month.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 04:59 AM   #48
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
After years of pragmatic experience I find it best to run into the establishment. Ask politely for your primary contact, and greet him with the customary greeting.

Alternatively you can also go in and yell "Hollar"
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 05:53 AM   #49
Fng123
"TRF" Member

Appreciate all the insight shared here, like many I too am on the illusive AD list for a few pieces without much buying history (or ability outside of what I actually want haha)
Fng123 is offline   Reply With Quote