The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2020, 05:33 AM   #1
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Safe to vent about my experience today?

Just had to vent a bit as going to the AD sometimes can be frustrating.

I went to my AD today since its the day before Valentine's, maybe something will jump out at me for my wife plus I had some time to kill before having to be back to my office for the afternoon. They were obviously in full sales mode, lots of other customers in the store. The first SA to greet me at the door asked what I wanted to see and I said "I'm only here to look around."

My usual SA was with another customer but stopped and said hi as I walked to the Rolex case. This same greeter SA followed me and started to break out the little gloves/display set to show something and asked me what model I would like to see (mind you, they only have datejusts) I reiterated "I'm just looking" so she asked if I'm waiting on something I told her specifically "a Daytona someday would be grand." Just small talk, off hand not asking her for a Daytona just talking... really just wanting to be left alone to look and be on my way. But she immediately she says, "Oh Lord, I may as well just put this away then" she says about the gloves kit thing they use to display watches. Then she starts into "it could take years, and we just don't know, we get asked that everyday" I tried to interject, "I understand, I've bought several watches here and several other pieces in the last few weeks... just here to look today... the demand is high... uhhh.... ah... ok... have a great day" and had to turn to walk away. The dot dot dots representing where I politely tried to say "its ok lady I understand, I'm just killing time on a lunch break and didn't invite you over here in the first place." but was interrupted by her continuing explanation of the Rolex shortage. UH!

Maybe she's just having a rough day, or perhaps I'm just a jerk but sometimes I feel like its Ok just to browse without being lectured to by the same people that also want you to buy something. I left without even looking at anything else.

Anyway... none of that is constructive it was simply just venting. Have any of you ever had that experience where signals just get crossed and it ends up feeling like an argument/frustration you never intended to walk into?
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:43 AM   #2
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitdc View Post

Have any of you ever had that experience where signals just get crossed and it ends up feeling like an argument/frustration you never intended to walk into?

Only since I got married.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:43 AM   #3
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Their team is not being trained with current industry standards.

They should be equipped to politely rebut any inquiries for models they cannot sell you.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:45 AM   #4
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
Take a deep breath. All will be ok.
Michael V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:45 AM   #5
kevc
"TRF" Member

Pretty sure they're as frustated as well, with having no inventory to sell.
kevc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:49 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
From her point of view she is having these chancers mention the Daytona a hundred times a day so no surprise you get the spiel once you set her off.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:50 AM   #7
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

She is in auto pilot mode due to the amount of times she gets asked about popular models. All transmit and no receive.

Have you ever ordered at a fast food place? Go up and tell them everything you want in one go. They will go right back to their script even though you have given them all the information they need.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:53 AM   #8
jitdc
"TRF" Member

You are all right and it’s certainly not the end of the world nor is really worth anyone else’s time. It just felt good to type that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 February 2020, 06:03 AM   #9
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Seems pretty normal to me. You walked in and told her you wanted to Daytona and she told you about the shortage. She didn't know you or know your purchase history.

You could have easily stopped all of this by simply saying I normally work with XYZ salesperson and will wait for them to be available.

Just a thought for next time. It can be frustrating.. I stopped wandering into any Rolex AD.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:08 AM   #10
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
They're salespeople being salespeople. No harm no foul. You might have to be a bit more direct next time, I guess this SA doesn't pick up on the hints
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:09 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Whatever you do, don't visit Paris...
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:23 AM   #12
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
x2, even after the separation…
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:27 AM   #13
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Whatever you do, don't visit Paris...
Why is that ?
Michael V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:28 AM   #14
Therolexboyz
Banned

Oh my goodness!!! I cat believe you were treated this way. I think a call to the home office would be warranted
Therolexboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:34 AM   #15
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Too true
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:34 AM   #16
jitdc
"TRF" Member

I thought the “only since I got married” comment was hilarious as well!

Old 14 February 2020, 06:37 AM   #17
Brew
"TRF" Member

These poor SAs are damned if they talk to us, and damneder if they ignore us.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:40 AM   #18
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Ya you can nitpick and say bad salesmanship, which it is, but in her defense she was in full sales mode for V-day as you said and quickly pre-qualified you as another Daytona stroker. Glad i read your thread though, reminds me to run into the Godiva store.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:43 AM   #19
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Preach!!!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 07:03 AM   #20
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
This. My wife must have worked at an AD in a prior life.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 07:36 AM   #21
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
My nickname for times like this is, "I'm having a Larry David Moment"....
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 07:53 AM   #22
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I totally sympathize and identify with this. One of my first 10 posts to TRF was a very similar complaint. You didn't ask the SA to come over and "waste her time" with you. in fact you didn't want her to, you just wanted to "window shop" the cases. But she presumed, then got pissed when you didn't immediately start trying on DJ's and buying one (or at least that's how I perceive your situation).

What I got out of all the replies from my similar post was that you can't just stroll into an AD and look at the watches. That's not how it works. Sucks, because I love to do that for items I am passionate about, like Motorcycles, musical instruments, etc. Everywhere else but Rolex ADs the SAs seem to realize that if they allow you to see the items it only fuels your desire to buy one, and eventually you will. Seems to be true even if you've bought at that AD before.

The moral seems to be they will sell their Rolex product no matter what, so don't need to be courteous or even polite to customers. Now the good SAs will be courteous and polite, but from my experience that's only about about half of the salesforce...

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:02 AM   #23
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

The SA was trying to be nice as well. But if you read between the lines, she's trying to say "We don't have any sports models, please buy one of our leftover Datejusts."
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:11 AM   #24
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
I've come to think of it like this.

Rolex SAs : United Airlines FAs

Other Luxury Watch SAs : Singapore Airlines FAs

In plain text, the Rolex SAs are essentially the same as United flight attendants. For the most part, customers are viewed as a nuisance and they would admit that they don't view service as being the main part of their role.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:17 AM   #25
frank4242
Banned

Long one...i really don't understand the story..explain please
frank4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:18 AM   #26
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
You should’ve never gone in there.
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:28 AM   #27
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitdc View Post
Just had to vent a bit as going to the AD sometimes can be frustrating.

I went to my AD today since its the day before Valentine's, maybe something will jump out at me for my wife plus I had some time to kill before having to be back to my office for the afternoon. They were obviously in full sales mode, lots of other customers in the store. The first SA to greet me at the door asked what I wanted to see and I said "I'm only here to look around."

My usual SA was with another customer but stopped and said hi as I walked to the Rolex case. This same greeter SA followed me and started to break out the little gloves/display set to show something and asked me what model I would like to see (mind you, they only have datejusts) I reiterated "I'm just looking" so she asked if I'm waiting on something I told her specifically "a Daytona someday would be grand." Just small talk, off hand not asking her for a Daytona just talking... really just wanting to be left alone to look and be on my way. But she immediately she says, "Oh Lord, I may as well just put this away then" she says about the gloves kit thing they use to display watches. Then she starts into "it could take years, and we just don't know, we get asked that everyday" I tried to interject, "I understand, I've bought several watches here and several other pieces in the last few weeks... just here to look today... the demand is high... uhhh.... ah... ok... have a great day" and had to turn to walk away. The dot dot dots representing where I politely tried to say "its ok lady I understand, I'm just killing time on a lunch break and didn't invite you over here in the first place." but was interrupted by her continuing explanation of the Rolex shortage. UH!

Maybe she's just having a rough day, or perhaps I'm just a jerk but sometimes I feel like its Ok just to browse without being lectured to by the same people that also want you to buy something. I left without even looking at anything else.

Anyway... none of that is constructive it was simply just venting. Have any of you ever had that experience where signals just get crossed and it ends up feeling like an argument/frustration you never intended to walk into?
Dude, totally had this happen and recently. Fortunately she also offered me a drink of wine while I was waiting for my SA. She also eventually saw I was wearing my Ceramic Daytona when she handed me the drink and she looked at me like, oh I get it now!! Funny actually...
Old 14 February 2020, 08:30 AM   #28
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Totally agree with the fact that I should not have gone in there, should have known better given the holiday sales stuff.

But it did feel like a Larry David moment which really why I posted this. More just describing that awkward unintentional Larry David / Curb Your Enthusiasm encounter that leaves everyone scratching their head or banging it against the wall for no real reason. I wasn’t able to articulate it as succinctly but that was spot on.

Old 14 February 2020, 08:33 AM   #29
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

You get the full spectrum on TRF.....from threads about poor service and SA’s ignoring customers. To threads about SA’s trying too hard to provide a good customer experience. Lol

2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:46 AM   #30
77T

In the context you presented here, I would’ve said “(your SA’s name) knows what I like - just browsing”.

Why a shopper gets ticked about a spiel is puzzling.

Of course you could’ve said “I’m a Patek secret shopper”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote