The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2020, 08:49 AM   #31
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Seems pretty normal to me. You walked in and told her you wanted to Daytona and she told you about the shortage. She didn't know you or know your purchase history.

You could have easily stopped all of this by simply saying I normally work with XYZ salesperson and will wait for them to be available.

Just a thought for next time. It can be frustrating.. I stopped wandering into any Rolex AD.

Me too. Now I just wander to DavidSW.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:52 AM   #32
RCrusoe
"TRF" Member

I travel very frequently and have a chance to visit Rolex Authorized Dealers and Rolex Boutiques quite often. I do find the same thing in the majority of my visits - I stroll in, usually dressed in very casual wear as I'm traveling, and am immediately asked if there is anything that they can help me with. I usually have a quick chuckle and ask them "what is it exactly that you guys sell" as the showcases are generally empty - this is usually followed by "do you have any Daytonas in stock?" and even before they can reply I'm ready to make a dash to the door and go on my merry way...
RCrusoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:57 AM   #33
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
Only since I got married.
Me too!
danyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:25 AM   #34
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:

You win post of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:35 AM   #35
2mgversed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN/PAM560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Whatever you do, don't visit Paris...
Lol, was just there. And, yep.
2mgversed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:51 AM   #36
martinjames192
Banned

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Quote:

Seriously Bizcut...I guess that's why boys nights out is always necessary...
martinjames192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:51 AM   #37
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
Why is that ?
Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mgversed View Post
Lol, was just there. And, yep.
At least you made it out.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:10 AM   #38
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitdc View Post
Totally agree with the fact that I should not have gone in there, should have known better given the holiday sales stuff.

But it did feel like a Larry David moment which really why I posted this. More just describing that awkward unintentional Larry David / Curb Your Enthusiasm encounter that leaves everyone scratching their head or banging it against the wall for no real reason. I wasn’t able to articulate it as succinctly but that was spot on.

Feel free to borrow the LDM terminology!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 11:03 AM   #39
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

Just wait until the Basel releases. AS’s will be answering phone calls from the minute the store opens until closing time
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:04 PM   #40
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
at least she talked to you. at my large AD, the SAs are too busy fiddling around with their phones since there are no watches to sell.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:14 PM   #41
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I went into a local shop which is part of the local chain I sold my collection to over a year ago; I commented that they didn't have much in stock. The SA showed me a collection of preowned watches a number of which had been mine. I explained to him that I had traded a number of the ones he had there when I got my Daytona which I was wearing. He continued on trying to sell me the watches I'd gotten rid of as if he hadn't heard a word I'd said. I felt like shaking him and asking him why would I want to buy back a watch that I'd already sold to them?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:16 PM   #42
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Not many have a second chance Lee?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:19 PM   #43
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Not many have a second chance Lee?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 03:44 PM   #44
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you for validating everyone!

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 03:53 PM   #45
SearChart
TechXpert

You need to vent, for this?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:08 PM   #46
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Mentioning Daytona was your error lol
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:12 PM   #47
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Everything is going to be OK.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:47 PM   #48
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitdc View Post
Just had to vent a bit as going to the AD sometimes can be frustrating.

I went to my AD today since its the day before Valentine's, maybe something will jump out at me for my wife plus I had some time to kill before having to be back to my office for the afternoon. They were obviously in full sales mode, lots of other customers in the store. The first SA to greet me at the door asked what I wanted to see and I said "I'm only here to look around."

My usual SA was with another customer but stopped and said hi as I walked to the Rolex case. This same greeter SA followed me and started to break out the little gloves/display set to show something and asked me what model I would like to see (mind you, they only have datejusts) I reiterated "I'm just looking" so she asked if I'm waiting on something I told her specifically "a Daytona someday would be grand." Just small talk, off hand not asking her for a Daytona just talking... really just wanting to be left alone to look and be on my way. But she immediately she says, "Oh Lord, I may as well just put this away then" she says about the gloves kit thing they use to display watches. Then she starts into "it could take years, and we just don't know, we get asked that everyday" I tried to interject, "I understand, I've bought several watches here and several other pieces in the last few weeks... just here to look today... the demand is high... uhhh.... ah... ok... have a great day" and had to turn to walk away. The dot dot dots representing where I politely tried to say "its ok lady I understand, I'm just killing time on a lunch break and didn't invite you over here in the first place." but was interrupted by her continuing explanation of the Rolex shortage. UH!

Maybe she's just having a rough day, or perhaps I'm just a jerk but sometimes I feel like its Ok just to browse without being lectured to by the same people that also want you to buy something. I left without even looking at anything else.

Anyway... none of that is constructive it was simply just venting. Have any of you ever had that experience where signals just get crossed and it ends up feeling like an argument/frustration you never intended to walk into?
The sales profession is an awesome profession. Unfortunately they are really bad sales people out there that make the rest of us look bad. I’m very sorry that happened to you. That woman, regardless of her mood that day, should never have treated you that way. A professional sales person does not “share their mood” with clients or potential clients. My guess is she should find something else to do for a living. I’m thinking a cubicle somewhere.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:59 PM   #49
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
I absolutely hated my AD for years, you couldn’t just walk in to have a look, without a barrage of arrogant and condescending comments, followed by a full lecture on Rolex history (which they barely knew). I have a “go to” sales rep there now that I swear by, I text her to make sure she’s available before showing up there.

Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:15 PM   #50
imbatman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
imbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:17 PM   #51
imbatman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
The sales profession is an awesome profession. Unfortunately they are really bad sales people out there that make the rest of us look bad. I’m very sorry that happened to you. That woman, regardless of her mood that day, should never have treated you that way. A professional sales person does not “share their mood” with clients or potential clients. My guess is she should find something else to do for a living. I’m thinking a cubicle somewhere.
Tell me about it. When I bought my batman the sales person said "I don't get it how people spend these large amounts of money on watches"
imbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:25 PM   #52
Jimmy 1665
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665/16610/114060
Honestly, get a grip of yourselves.... You know the AD sales staff always know best, have superior knowledge regarding all things Rolex & size you up perfectly when you appear at their door.
Jimmy 1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:45 PM   #53
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Today many think that all SA at Rolex ADs should bow down and kiss the customers feet.Yes there is a shortage of SS Rolex watches,yet on the grey market hundreds for sale all models at a price.Why mainly down to many of today's so called Rolex watch buyers turning Rolex watches into so called investments, on internet forums and by so called social media sites, now Rolex watches to many just seen as little more than easy ££££££$$$$$$/

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:52 PM   #54
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
If you enter a high end retail outlet/boutique/store surely your expecting to have a sales person approach you? If they didn’t they’d have Mgt all over them. If they didn’t you be online telling everyone that no one approached or offered assistance.
As a salesman I’ll offer advice. Tell them your waiting on your guy but thank you. Turn & walk off. That’ll end it immediately. Sales people aren’t paid to visit.
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:32 PM   #55
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post
If you enter a high end retail outlet/boutique/store surely your expecting to have a sales person approach you? If they didn’t they’d have Mgt all over them. If they didn’t you be online telling everyone that no one approached or offered assistance.

As a salesman I’ll offer advice. Tell them your waiting on your guy but thank you. Turn & walk off. That’ll end it immediately. Sales people aren’t paid to visit.

+1

A lot of people don’t put themselves in the perspective of the salesperson. They see so many people coming in asking for the same thing. They’re frustrated as well and they have to try and please everyone. Seems like a lose lose.

But I completely understand venting as well. Glad you were respectful and didn’t blow up on her at the story. Some customers are real jerks and feel entitled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:49 PM   #56
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
this seems a bit over the top. the SA was doing her job, and was disappointed yet again by someone asking for something they didn’t and won’t have. it sucks for her too. some understanding would probably go a long way in lowering your blood pressure.

paris is awesome. j’adore. literally never had a problem of any kind in paris, over probably half a dozen trips. anywhere. restaurants, boutiques, museums (there are good ones without an IMpei pyramid)... i will never understand the animosity so many have for paris.

must be a rolex forum post.

Old 15 February 2020, 12:32 AM   #57
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Thanks for all the input everyone. It was great to read some of your own experiences I appreciate you sharing your perspectives. As well as sage advice about taking a step back and breathing. Next time I’ll ask to shown a Tag or Breitling.

That’s a bit of a joke but in all honesty I should pay more attention to the other things they sell. That may help stave off the awkward run ins. Knowing full well the odds of what I really want won’t be sitting in their display case.

Thanks again! I was surprised to see this had so many comments.

jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 12:44 AM   #58
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

In fairness the OP opened the can of worms that is the dreaded Daytona topic, and the rep was just doing what she does to pay the bills in trying to help you. I have a doctor friend who has a place in Aspen and he wandered into a Rolex dealer while his wife was shopped in another store, just looking. He told the saleswoman that he was just looking and she didn’t really try to sell him anything but brought out a watch and just started talking about Rolex history and manufacturing. He’s a naturally curious guy who was so impressed with her knowledge and the brand that he bought two watches that day, and many more since. He had no interest in watches but ran into a true professional. Moral of the story is nobody is just looking.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 12:55 AM   #59
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
Moral of the story is nobody is just looking.
you are not wrong.

Old 15 February 2020, 01:11 AM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
These poor SAs are damned if they talk to us, and damneder if they ignore us.
Yep exactly
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote