The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2020, 08:28 AM   #1
Vescovirolex
"TRF" Member

AD know stock allocation

Guys, I wanted to check something I heard to see if it was true - Rolex has updated their systems in 2020 and the AD's now know what stock is allocated to them? Apologies if this is old news to some...
Vescovirolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:30 AM   #2
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Maybe, hope that's true but my AD would for sure let me know when my 116508 is due in and that has not happened...I'm stateside anyway, maybe its different where you are. But thanks...
Old 14 February 2020, 09:47 AM   #3
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
What the AD knows and what he/she tells you are mutually exclusive. The less the customer knows the easier it is for the AD to leverage their stock.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:59 AM   #4
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
And even if the manager knows the SA might not necessarily be informed either.

But to reply to your post I can tell you that I've been called to be told that a certain watch is on it's way so in my experience they know what's coming when it's about a week out.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:00 AM   #5
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

My AD has indicated this is true. However, they don’t know when and the allocation report is not 100% accurate.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:04 AM   #6
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vescovirolex View Post
Guys, I wanted to check something I heard to see if it was true - Rolex has updated their systems in 2020 and the AD's now know what stock is allocated to them? Apologies if this is old news to some...
Sounds like bull, but to be honest, I have a difficult time believing ADs don't know what they're getting a little bit ahead of time. One AD salesman inadvertently implied they knew what was coming a couple times with me. Just remember to take whatever your AD says with a grain of salt, and if you're fortunate enough to find an AD who's willing to work with you, do everything you can to keep that relationship going
Old 14 February 2020, 10:08 AM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My AD knows what quantities of some models will be allocated in a given year. Maybe not all models - I don't know. I imagine some are special order only. My AD has quoted me allocation numbers for SS Sky Dweller, OP39, OP36, TT Blusey and TT CHNR. What they do not know is precisely when these watches will turn up and if they will end up getting more than their allocation. They won't receive less. They have quoted me a time frame for my next incoming (TT CHNR) and successfully predicted to the nearest month when my Blusey would turn up. So they are by no means running completely blind.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:15 AM   #8
Randomgary
"TRF" Member

Mine was very accurate on allocation and had some indication on delivery
Randomgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:22 AM   #9
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
Yup. Was informed of the same last year by two different ADs. Seems they may know their allocation for the year but not specific delivery dates. Doesn't get me any closer to the watch I want, so it it changes very little at the moment.
G.D.BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:30 AM   #10
R_Rated
"TRF" Member

Partially true... new stuff announced at BW isn't going to have visibility.
R_Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:35 AM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.BeanCounter View Post
Yup. Was informed of the same last year by two different ADs. Seems they may know their allocation for the year but not specific delivery dates. Doesn't get me any closer to the watch I want, so it it changes very little at the moment.
Exactly knowing the years stock but. I timing doesn’t help the consumer. Also, one poster above said they won’t receive less. My AD told me he failed to receive a few he was expecting. Who knows, it’s a black box
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:35 AM   #12
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I assume they do not know what PM models they get either?
Old 14 February 2020, 11:12 AM   #13
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
My AD has indicated this is true. However, they don’t know when and the allocation report is not 100% accurate.
My AD said similar that they will have a better idea of their allocation

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:14 PM   #14
tng11
"TRF" Member

Both of my ADs have been able to tell me their 2019/2020 allocation numbers at the beginning of the year. Sometimes it’s off - they get more than expected. But they do know generally what they’re getting for the year, but exactly when they don’t get much notice. For example, one of my ADs told me that they were allocated in the area of 50 ND/Date Subs and were pretty consistently getting one in each weekly shipment until all of a sudden they didn’t get one for many weeks. They all eventually showed up but they were puzzled.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:25 PM   #15
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
The website inventory they login to can change depending on what Rolex sees that you sell. If you sell out all your ugly deadbeat datejust 28mm then you will surely get rewarded with a refill and some bonus-904.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 03:49 PM   #16
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
What the AD knows and what he/she tells you are mutually exclusive. The less the customer knows the easier it is for the AD to leverage their stock.
So true. In my opinion, from what I have seen with some, if their lips are moving, they are lying.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:36 PM   #17
frank4242
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scombs263 View Post
So true. In my opinion, from what I have seen with some, if their lips are moving, they are lying.
You are funny by thinking that lip movement shows they are lying..
frank4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:23 PM   #18
glamorama
"TRF" Member

I think the distribution systems from USA and Europe is different. From what I understand one distributor is managing all of USA whereas Europe is more directly in touch with Rolex in Switzerland.

I know for a fact that my AD know pretty much which piece is coming when, roughly, in advance. If they tell us customers or their staff is another thing.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 09:49 PM   #19
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Overheard a story of an European SA telling a customer that they get an inventory list/update in the system the moment the watches are being packaged and shipped by Rolex to the retailer. Might be so truth in it.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:02 PM   #20
shkure
Banned

I think this is true. I got the call for the Pepsi 10 days before it was actually available to purchase. When I picked up the Pepsi, the manager told me that they will have a Daytona in the next shipment and i can go check it out early next month.
shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:22 PM   #21
excelerater
"TRF" Member

It really does not matter,I believe most ADs take the models worth a shit ton and
sell them to a gray buddy for higher profits . its a shame but thats the world we live in
excelerater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 10:44 PM   #22
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member

I think the larger UK AD outlets receive a delivery schedule from head office around 4-5 days before the stock lands to then notify customers.
Rwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 11:16 PM   #23
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelerater View Post
It really does not matter,I believe most ADs take the models worth a shit ton and
sell them to a gray buddy for higher profits . its a shame but thats the world we live in
Definitely. Would LOVE the see the names of the ADs on the warranty cards on watches dated Sept 2019 or later.

Might be a good idea for us members to start keeping a tally and publishing those AD names. It may make those ADs think twice before selling to greys or known flippers.
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 01:17 AM   #24
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR581 View Post
Definitely. Would LOVE the see the names of the ADs on the warranty cards on watches dated Sept 2019 or later.

Might be a good idea for us members to start keeping a tally and publishing those AD names. It may make those ADs think twice before selling to greys or known flippers.
Never understood this line of thinking. Just for a moment think about this as your business, and think about the content of this thread. Allocation of a limited inventory, allocation determined by your performance, with unknown delivery dates for each year in business. That uncertainty of allocation, based on past performance is what created the bundling, and the VIP sales, and perhaps in some cases sales to gray market dealers. Certainly this model of delivery is what created the gray market all those years ago when pieces that didn't sell at MSRP were wholesaled at a discount to be sold by non AD through the mail, and online. Consumer demand caused the pendulum to swing, and now you want regulation of the AD sales. Remarkable.
Old 15 February 2020, 01:58 AM   #25
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
I don't know that its that remarkable or outlandish to be interested in seeing which AD's sell to grey's.

I do think its pretty hard to know as a fact though that it was the AD that sold to the grey and not their buyer/buddy just moving it along... Multiple buyers, multiple buddies etc makes for an easy split the cash scenario.

Overall it's a big can O'worms.
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 03:32 AM   #26
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Yes, the AD's know what they will be receiving from Rolex, but sometimes not specifics. For example, they might know they're getting 6 steel daytona's, but they don't know how many white or black dial. I think they know model numbers.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 07:19 AM   #27
daytonayacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520/116500LN
Apparently Rolex has introduced a “portal” where it makes it easier for an AD to allocate certain pieces to potential waitlist people😩
daytonayacht is offline   Reply With Quote