The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 September 2019, 01:17 AM   #1
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Is it sacrilegious to mount a fluted bezel on a 1603?

Obviously, everyone knows that the fluted bezel option was only available for the 1601. However, I'm wondering if any collectors swap between fluted and engine-turned on their 1603 specimens.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 01:21 AM   #2
DoleMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few :)
Interested in this as well. Have been looking for a clean 1601 but it is proving to take some time. If I can expand my search to a 1603 and throw a fluted bezel on it, that search may speed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 01:28 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Your watch, your choice how to wear it. I've seen worse modifications than that (e.g. converting a SS GMT into a TT). Just hold onto the engine-turned bezel for potential re-sale down the line.
Old 18 September 2019, 02:00 AM   #4
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Depends on your degree of comfort with vintage Rolex. Noobs go into spasms at the very thought of any thought crime deviation from the one true mothership original intent Rolex Gaia or some such crap.

This is my 1601 with an aftermarket 1600 bezel MM dial, roulette date wheel and a clear case back. Look deep in my eyes, do you see anyone in there that cares? :)

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 03:37 AM   #5
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
There's a difference between the question I asked in my OP and providing an example of a watch with aftermarket/fake parts. One is not comparable with the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Depends on your degree of comfort with vintage Rolex. Noobs go into spasms at the very thought of any thought crime deviation from the one true mothership original intent Rolex Gaia or some such crap.

This is my 1601 with an aftermarket 1600 bezel MM dial, roulette date wheel and a clear case back. Look deep in my eyes, do you see anyone in there that cares? :)

SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 03:53 AM   #6
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

lol, same concept, just a matter of degree. :) I don't think the Rolex police will come for you if you swap bezels.

[
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 05:06 AM   #7
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn't pass judgement...

As others have said, your watch. But I would not do that -- I'd just patiently keep an eye out for the correct configuration.
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 06:35 AM   #8
Paul
"TRF" Member

Is it sacrilegious ?

I think it's sacrilegious to pay good money for something and not be able to then, chop it, change it, do-it-up, do-it-down or paint it purple with yellow stripes if I want to.

Cars, watches, houses, bicycles, whatever, once my name is on the ownership papers I wanna be able to do whatever I like with it.

A purist would have a fluted bezel on his 1601 and an engine-turned bezel on his 1603. If he's a little bit adventurous, he may have a smooth bezel on either of them (an option that's been available from Rolex forever). A cool guy, the fella Rolex used to tag as " ... the man in control of his own destiny ... " , would have whatever bezel he prefers and if it didn't fit, he'd make it fit.

This guy understands what I'm getting at ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ferrari.jpg (167.6 KB, 195 views)
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 11:57 AM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't do it. The incorrectness would bug me... #notanoob
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post

I don’t care what the OP says, I dig the Mickey mod. As you said, it’s yours so do what you please.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 09:06 PM   #11
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

“Sacrilegious”?! Pfft... hardly. Richards Mickey? Now THATS a thinking mans mod. A statement piece to be worn to. Phillips auction.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 10:00 PM   #12
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
There's a difference between the question I asked in my OP and providing an example of a watch with aftermarket/fake parts. One is not comparable with the other.
I think Rolex would disagree with you. When you take it in for a service, they usually require any part that wasn’t originally available to be replaced. To your point, since the fluted dial is an OEM Rolex part, maybe they won’t notice or care as much as a Mickey Mouse dial.

But don’t kid yourself, once you start creating a watch Rolex never made, both examples are the same. One’s just more obvious than the other.

I’m also in the camp that it’s your watch, do whatever you want to to it. You don’t need permission.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 01:19 AM   #13
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
Obviously, everyone knows that the fluted bezel option was only available for the 1601. However, I'm wondering if any collectors swap between fluted and engine-turned on their 1603 specimens.
I'd have no issue doing this. In fact, I've done it. As long as you keep the original bezel, of course, why not? It's easily reversible. Collectors/hobbyists are often changing inserts and bracelets/straps on vintage GMTs and Subs to mix up the look. Can't see why DJs are any different.

Here's my 1603 with a 1600 bezel, to give it a completely different feel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ Portrait-TRF.jpg (281.6 KB, 114 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 01:23 AM   #14
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
It’s a datejust. I wouldn’t have a problem putting in Richards mickey mouse dial or a freshly lacqured ’stella’ dial if I wanted to. Change the bezel if you wish and enjoy your watch.
Old 20 September 2019, 07:01 AM   #15
Racer X
"TRF" Member

My view, for both watches and cars, is that simple, easily reversible mods are fine. It's your watch (or car). Just save the original parts for if/when you want to sell as buyers typically value originality over modfication.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote