The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 August 2019, 11:48 PM   #31
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I went Pixel and I'm most likely never going back. Camera is too good and it's laughable that Apple doesn't have a night mode yet.

However the big iphone upgrade won't be this year. Next year and then in two years for in screen fingerprint sensors and no more notches. It usually takes them a few years to catch up to what has been happening on the android side.

I do tell myself that I might go back to iPhone every year, but this year won't be it.
Old 20 August 2019, 11:50 PM   #32
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I went Pixel and I'm most likely never going back. Camera is too good and it's laughable that Apple doesn't have a night mode yet.

However the big iphone upgrade won't be this year. Next year and then in two years for in screen fingerprint sensors and no more notches. It usually takes them a few years to catch up to what has been happening on the android side.

I do tell myself that I might go back to iPhone every year, but this year won't be it.
when i was still living in london there were ads all over for the Huawei phone with the Leica camera. I bet that one blows most phone cameras out of the water.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 11:51 PM   #33
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I keep mine until it dies. It aint dead yet and hopefully that will be later than sooner then I will replace it.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:05 AM   #34
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
when i was still living in london there were ads all over for the Huawei phone with the Leica camera. I bet that one blows most phone cameras out of the water.
The Huawei nightmode is supposed to be incredible and overall camera quality is supposed to be fantastic. Plus multiple lenses always helps. I just don't like the Huawei android skin.

Everything points to Apple having having 3 lenses this year as well. Samsung and Huawei have 3 or more.

I don't even take that many pictures but originally camera quality was a big reason why I stayed with iPhones. Still don't take that many pictures, but now it's the reason why I'm staying on Pixel.
Old 21 August 2019, 12:17 AM   #35
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
I have an SE and love it. I think the SE has the 6s internals? Who cares, I hate big screens!
SE fan here too, it actually has the 7 internals. I have a brand new back up SE as well so hopefully that will get me through the next few years.

I don't think it will be long before the large phone hype wears off and all the manufacturers start producing smaller models again. Who want's a big bulky phone is their pocket?
Old 21 August 2019, 12:52 AM   #36
Keadog
"TRF" Member

I had a 6 until it broke. Now have an X. Don't like that it turns on the screen with movement but I'll keep it till it breaks.
Waste of money for me to "upgrade".
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:06 AM   #37
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I have the X and don’t plan on upgrading but looking forward to the new operating system that’s going to separate iOS and OS X
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:27 AM   #38
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I have an XS Max and buying the Max/Plus every year.. it saves me from buying/flipping a watch that month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:46 AM   #39
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I'm still sticking with this one.

Why mess with success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old selfie.jpg (66.6 KB, 215 views)
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:15 AM   #40
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have a 7plus and am holding out for the rollout of 5g and related network here in Denver. Should be in late 2020. My battery performance is still at 86%, so I should be good.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:17 AM   #41
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
SE fan here too, it actually has the 7 internals. I have a brand new back up SE as well so hopefully that will get me through the next few years.

I don't think it will be long before the large phone hype wears off and all the manufacturers start producing smaller models again. Who want's a big bulky phone is their pocket?
Yes, I love the size. I don't really care about whats inside but I do think its majority 6s stuff with some exceptions ---> https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookec.../#366b44481a40

Not even sure what the 7 has inside, again for me like you its about the size and I hate my wife's X size even though with her case off it 10 times better than a PLUS.
Old 21 August 2019, 06:24 AM   #42
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Great for you.

How about both then? Heck, the newest MacBooks have fingerprint id.
I have the new Mac with the fingerprint ID, its amazing. Having to constantly log into work sites is a breeze with the fingerprint ID. Looking forward to see what's next with the new iPhone but I won't update. I am on the XS max and I really love it.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:21 AM   #43
darrenho
"TRF" Member

If you take a lot of pictures or shoot a lot of videos, the iPhone 11 would be a big upgrade, based on the leaks/rumors...
It might come with 3 lenses: Wide, Ultra Wide and Telephoto
darrenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:25 AM   #44
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I haven’t even finished paying for my 10s yet!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:28 AM   #45
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

Pixel phones are fabulous, and the Nexus line before them. Pure Android is brilliant, I have had a couple of Pixels and previously Nexus, when I upgrade my Galaxy S10+ I will probably go Pixel.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:34 AM   #46
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Will have to see what they offer and what my upgrade cost will be if I sling mine on CL or trade in. X has been good to me but not a huge improvement over my prior iPhone.
Old 21 August 2019, 08:45 AM   #47
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I'm still sticking with this one.

Why mess with success.
The only downside of mine is the selfies use film.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:26 AM   #48
DasKptl
Banned

I've heard that iPhone 12 in 2020/21 will be iPhone Fold. It'll be the greatest leap in the history of iPhones.

It's foldable display will be provided by SamSung. SamSung's own foldable phone had some problems but is improving. And it's still much better than Huawei's foldable display, they say.

DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:32 AM   #49
DasKptl
Banned

And iPhone Fold will be about $2,980, as Samsung Galaxy Fold starts at $1,980.

DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:53 AM   #50
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
everywhere but china has e sim + sim (china has 2 physical sims) for the iPhone XR/XS.

You can have your carrier transfer your sim card to an e sim and then you have the physical sim slot empty. It literally takes two minutes

I have ATT in the US on my e Sim and O2 in the UK on my physical sim. I can make and receive calls on both numbers on the same phone. You can set up contacts to use certain numbers when you call them and your caller ID tells you what number (sim) an incoming call is coming from. You can turn data on/off for certain sims. So my UK data plan is off in the US, when i fly to the UK i reverse it in settings and turn US data off and UK data on

The only thing you cant do is use both sims at the same time. If you are using one the other one will go to voicemail until its no longer in use.

TBH in the US in particular i dont mind the one slot e sim because the US isn't like europe when you can pick up sim cards literally everywhere. You can get a prepaid one in a vending machine. Since thats less prevalent in the US i am fine with the e sim for my US number. If you just keep the physical slot empty you can pick up a local prepaid sim at literally any airport in Europe and have a local phone for your vacation, for example. No more huge data charges for roaming internationally

Thanks for the explanation

I have an XR now that I purchased in Central America, using my US t-mobile sim there didn't cost anything, but the service was slower. Previously with AT&T I would just pick up a local SIM for a month or so because ATT international plans were such a racket as you mentioned. I mostly use iMessage and email when I'm abroad, I guess I would need my contacts to iMessage my email vs my US number if I am using another physical sim while traveling. It would be awesome if both lines worked at the same time. I'll dig in more when I am heading out of the country again.

**Looks like t-mobile doesn't support eSIM yet for my service (only for prepaid plans)
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:24 PM   #51
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Upcoming iPhone 11 Release

Most people I know with a X are just going to wait it out until next year when they announce the overhaul. I am in the same boat. It's true that innovation with Apple has slowed down and people are refreshing less frequently.

I remember in the past feeling a sense of urgency to upgrade each cycle (and often doing so) because of the improvements in each generation

I don't feel that way anymore. X works well, and the Xs and what they release this year probably won't be enticing enough to warrant the upgrade

We'll see what they release
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:22 PM   #52
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I have the iPhone X and will stick with that for the foreseeable future. My wife recently upgraded from the 6 (battery life was essentially non-existent) to the 8 (which has great battery life comparatively). Considering she uses hers mainly to text and make/receive calls, she'll likely stick with hers until Apple stops supporting it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:10 PM   #53
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I have the XS now on the upgrade program. So I can either keep it another year and own it, or upgrade this year and start my 24 month payments again.

I really enjoy using the XS and I’ve had pretty much zero problems with it. The new one will have to entice me in someway in order to get me to move.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:11 PM   #54
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I have the iPhone X and will stick with that for the foreseeable future. My wife recently upgraded from the 6 (battery life was essentially non-existent) to the 8 (which has great battery life comparatively). Considering she uses hers mainly to text and make/receive calls, she'll likely stick with hers until Apple stops supporting it.

How's your battery life? I got mine right when it was released and battery health is now at 84% so drains more quickly now. When I travel I usually being along a power bank
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 10:56 PM   #55
walds11
"TRF" Member

Who’s tuning it at 1:00pm EST for the Apple Special Event?

I’m most likely pre-ordering the 11 Pro (or whatever the official name will be) via the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program (iUP) and trade in my X. This will be my first time doing iUP. Apple usually will have the option to get pre-approved to get a head start
Old 10 September 2019, 10:59 PM   #56
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I'll stick with mine for another year, doesn't look like enough of a difference to change.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 11:21 PM   #57
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Verizon already leaked it.

Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 11:36 PM   #58
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I would be shocked if they don't have a night mode. I'm sure they will.

"over 10 billion transistors"

Not sure why Apple needs to share that. Who in the world is impressed by a number that means absolutely nothing?

They are really going hard on face ID. Rumors point to them getting rid of it and going to under screen fingerprint in a year or two. Wonder how they will sell that.
Old 10 September 2019, 11:58 PM   #59
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
I would be shocked if they don't have a night mode. I'm sure they will.
Night Mode for ios13 has been showed a bunch. It's definitely coming to all OLED models with the new software.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 12:26 AM   #60
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

I have an X and am itching to upgrade ... not sure if it's worth it ... might go back to a max if I do.

Quote:
They are really going hard on face ID. Rumors point to them getting rid of it and going to under screen fingerprint in a year or two. Wonder how they will sell that.
From what I've read, the 2021 iPhone is going to have both faceID and an under screen touchID.