The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 September 2019, 03:06 AM   #91
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
To be clear, I don't fault anyone for liking their iPhones. I'm a tech enthusiast and I give Apple all the credit in the world for their role in the smartphone world as it exists now. I had the first iPhone and I used iPhones for 7-8 years before switching to Android.

The problem is that they aren't doing the things they used to, yet they feel they can charge the same prices because they are a "luxury" brand. It's not going to last forever. No one wants to spend $1000 on a phone every year, especially when the improvements aren't great. There is no possible justification for a $500 Pixel phone taking better pictures (especially in the dark) then a $1000 plus iPhone. It's insanity. That wasn't the case a few years ago. iPhone cameras were light years beyond what any of Android phones could do.

Now Apple just lags behind. My only issue is their fan's response when they introduce a feature that has been on other phones for years. It gets a little annoying when Apple fans start going wild simply because Apple decided to add a feature the rest of us have been using for years.

Hopefully the iPhone 12 will be a huge change, but at this point I doubt it.
Agree 100%

I'm on an Iphone 6 and in desperate need of upgrade but don't want to spend $1,000 on something that I really only use for a phone, text, email and surfing the internet. I also HATE apple and their stores so if there is another phone I should be looking at please let me know. Much appreciated.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 03:13 AM   #92
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
To be clear, I don't fault anyone for liking their iPhones. I'm a tech enthusiast and I give Apple all the credit in the world for their role in the smartphone world as it exists now. I had the first iPhone and I used iPhones for 7-8 years before switching to Android.

The problem is that they aren't doing the things they used to, yet they feel they can charge the same prices because they are a "luxury" brand. It's not going to last forever. No one wants to spend $1000 on a phone every year, especially when the improvements aren't great. There is no possible justification for a $500 Pixel phone taking better pictures (especially in the dark) then a $1000 plus iPhone. It's insanity. That wasn't the case a few years ago. iPhone cameras were light years beyond what any of Android phones could do.

Now Apple just lags behind. My only issue is their fan's response when they introduce a feature that has been on other phones for years. It gets a little annoying when Apple fans start going wild simply because Apple decided to add a feature the rest of us have been using for years.

Kind of like the folks here wishing for a redesigned Sub with smaller lugs
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 03:22 AM   #93
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Agree 100%

I'm on an Iphone 6 and in desperate need of upgrade but don't want to spend $1,000 on something that I really only use for a phone, text, email and surfing the internet. I also HATE apple and their stores so if there is another phone I should be looking at please let me know. Much appreciated.
It really depends on your needs. In reality all phones do pretty much all the same stuff at this point.

If you are really tied into the Apple ecosystem with lots of Apple products, then it makes sense to stick with an iPhone. I usually tell people to stay with iPhones if that's what they've been using. They are still solid products and Apple customer service (despite their weird store experience) is still the best.

The standard non pro version iPhone 11 seems like a pretty safe bet and it's priced well at $700 to start. I think that should be good for the vast majority of people who just want an iPhone and don't want to spend $1000.

On the android side, I'm personally sticking with Pixels for now because the camera (photo, not video) experience is the best. I personally prefer stock android and getting updates immediately. I was on a Samsung galaxy before the Pixel and it was the best design and had the most features, but I didn't like the software as much and updates take forever.

I will be getting the Pixel 4XL next month. I'm a weirdo who doesn't mind upgrading every year.
Old 12 September 2019, 03:25 AM   #94
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Wife and I both have X’s so not going to upgrade but looking for to the new OS
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 03:29 AM   #95
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:

Actually there’s a really good reason and justification for Google taking better photos. They’re better at math. Google needed to solve serious problems when they were developing Google Glass, and the Gcam project reaped huge benefits that we’ve seen in the phones for several years now.

Apple is finally getting a little traction with computational photography. Ultimately, “good enough” will suffice (as with all technology - read some Clayton M. Christensen).

Battery life already demolishes anything in the Android space and they’re adding 5 hours. The screen is the best now, the same as what Samsung has in its latest generation products. The camera will be “good enough” and a big leap for Apple users. Their texts will still be blue bubbles (cited by business users as the reason for the landslide shift to iPhones for business). What else do people do?

I used to always use Google phones - Nexus+Pixel. Most of the features just don’t matter and aren’t used by 90% of people. Just give me a phone that doesn’t slow down, lock up, or crash. Apple has been winning on that front since - well... since ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 05:49 AM   #96
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
The difference is, we don't usually trade in our Rolex for the newest model every year or two; the way Apple is hoping we do with phones.

Speak for yourself I’ve never kept a Rolex longer than 2-3 years . Average ownership time for any watch in my rotation is about 6-12 months lol
Old 12 September 2019, 05:50 AM   #97
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Speak for yourself I’ve never kept a Rolex longer than 2-3 years . Average ownership time for any watch in my rotation is about 6-12 months lol

Been there lol. I think i might have had one for just over a year, then poof, gone! I tend to regret everything i let go so i am trying not to do that anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 11:52 PM   #98
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
Wife and I both have X’s so not going to upgrade but looking for to the new OS
ill probably upgrade for the camera, but the OS is what i am looking forward to most
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 11:56 PM   #99
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be clear, I don't fault anyone for liking their iPhones. I'm a tech enthusiast and I give Apple all the credit in the world for their role in the smartphone world as it exists now.
their credit card is pretty cool. So they are evolving for sure

its bizarre that all they need is the last 4 of your social and your birthdate, and income, and a scan on your Drivers License (mine didn't even match my texas address as its a montana license) and can approve you in 3 seconds.

i have never ever applied for a CC, loan, or whatever without providing more info.

the rewards are not great if you dont buy a lot of apple stuff/use mobile payments, but its a card that lives on your phone. they physical card doesnt even have any numbers on it. figured i would give it a try. Also its worth noting they approve you without a hard credit pull. Once you accept then its a hard pull but you can see your interest rate and credit limit before accepting the offer. ATT does a hard pull to get cell phone service with or without a contract and that sucks and does another one if you add cable or internet. If they can upend the CC business like they did so long ago with the phone business, im all for it
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 13 September 2019, 12:11 AM   #100
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
their credit card is pretty cool. So they are evolving for sure

its bizarre that all they need is the last 4 of your social and your birthdate, and income, and a scan on your Drivers License (mine didn't even match my texas address as its a montana license) and can approve you in 3 seconds.

i have never ever applied for a CC, loan, or whatever without providing more info.

the rewards are not great if you dont buy a lot of apple stuff/use mobile payments, but its a card that lives on your phone. they physical card doesnt even have any numbers on it. figured i would give it a try. Also its worth noting they approve you without a hard credit pull. Once you accept then its a hard pull but you can see your interest rate and credit limit before accepting the offer. ATT does a hard pull to get cell phone service with or without a contract and that sucks and does another one if you add cable or internet. If they can upend the CC business like they did so long ago with the phone business, im all for it
I think the card is pretty cool and the app integration is great. It's just weird to have finances tied to what is essentially a tech company.

After going Pixel, I do miss one thing about mobile payments and that is Samsung MST. The thing that mimics sliding a card when tap payments aren't actually available. Google pay is fine, but Samsung doesn't get enough credit for MST and they don't advertise it enough for some strange reason. That is by far the best and most universal tech that works everywhere, even when mobile payments aren't an option.

I spoke with my dad last night and wants this new iPhone so will be ordering an 11 Pro Max in green for him tomorrow morning. Looking forward to checking it out.
Old 13 September 2019, 12:14 AM   #101
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the card is pretty cool and the app integration is great. It's just weird to have finances tied to what is essentially a tech company.

After going Pixel, I do miss one thing about mobile payments and that is Samsung MST. The thing that mimics sliding a card when tap payments aren't actually available. Google pay is fine, but Samsung doesn't get enough credit for MST and they don't advertise it enough for some strange reason. That is by far the best and most universal tech that works everywhere, even when mobile payments aren't an option.

I spoke with my dad last night and wants this new iPhone so will be ordering an 11 Pro Max in green for him tomorrow morning. Looking forward to checking it out.
goldman sachs is the issuing bank... but yeah the interface is all apple, and all in the apple wallet

my hope is if you like apple or not it will change the way consumers demand cards be issued. So even if you dont like apple, root for the card.

Getting an offer and knowing your rate and limit before accepting is a big deal. I have never had a card before that did it that way. I never carry a balance so its irrelevant to me but almost all cards advertise a range of rates and when you apply and get approved you dont know what rate you are getting before you decide to proceed or not. Apple card has a range too, but you can decline the offer after applying and walk away. No card, no hard credit pull

I like the green too. i may just go for the old dependable space grey though.
Old 13 September 2019, 02:17 AM   #102
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
It really depends on your needs. In reality all phones do pretty much all the same stuff at this point.

If you are really tied into the Apple ecosystem with lots of Apple products, then it makes sense to stick with an iPhone. I usually tell people to stay with iPhones if that's what they've been using. They are still solid products and Apple customer service (despite their weird store experience) is still the best.

The standard non pro version iPhone 11 seems like a pretty safe bet and it's priced well at $700 to start. I think that should be good for the vast majority of people who just want an iPhone and don't want to spend $1000.

On the android side, I'm personally sticking with Pixels for now because the camera (photo, not video) experience is the best. I personally prefer stock android and getting updates immediately. I was on a Samsung galaxy before the Pixel and it was the best design and had the most features, but I didn't like the software as much and updates take forever.

I will be getting the Pixel 4XL next month. I'm a weirdo who doesn't mind upgrading every year.
Yep, I think you are right, I had Nexus and Pixel phones, certainly, the early Nexus line was fabulous value for money. I also liked the Android Beta Programme that one can enrol for on the Pixel. I had a Pixel one and two, changed to the Galaxy s10+ after a quick dabble with an iPhone XS which I just couldn't get along with, I had it long enough as well, I just found iOS outdated and very unintuitive compared to Android. I like pure Android but am also enjoying this Galaxy with Nova Prime. Like you, I also like to upgrade yearly, my wife doesn't upgrade her phone so I take advantage and use her upgrade one year and then mine the next. Might go back to Pixel this year.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 02:35 AM   #103
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I read the specs, can anyone, tell me, besides the three-lensed camera, and the B13 versus the B12 processor (whatever that improves) what would make me ditch my Xs and buy an 11?

Don’t just stand there talk me in to it!!!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 02:41 AM   #104
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I read the specs, can anyone, tell me, besides the three-lensed camera, and the B13 versus the B12 processor (whatever that improves) what would make me ditch my Xs and buy an 11?

Literally nothing.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 02:59 AM   #105
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

unless you want the camera i wouldn't do it. its probably more attractive of an upgrade for those who didn't get the X
Old 13 September 2019, 05:29 AM   #106
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I plan to keep the X presuming it plays well with the new iOS once released, which I anticipate it will. I love this phone, and I'm tied into the ecosphere. My wife is coming from a 7 and it's reaching end of useful life. Battery doesn't last long, it's a bit sluggish. More than anything the camera would be a big upgrade and she uses it all the time.

I use the newest iPad Pro with the A12x processor, and it is amazingly fast compared to the iPhone X using the A11. I'm talking faster than a MacBook Pro for rendering and editing an identical photograph RAW file in Lightroom. Part of that is the software differences, but when doing the same intensive task, these mobile processors are crazy powerful, and tightly integrated with software written for this iOS. The A13 is presumably even more capable.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 05:50 AM   #107
chsu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,116520,SLA19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Literally nothing.

This. Smartphone technology since 2-3 years ago has matured to the same place where laptop was 7-8 years ago. No need to upgrade until it physically breaks or battery needs replacement.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 12:48 PM   #108
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Pass for me- the days of amazing innovation is over for now in the smartphone market. I got a xs max and it's an amazing phone. Battery still can last up to 2.5 days with me putting it in battery saver mode. Off it goes for another year. I might pick up another case since now it's sale time.

I'm just gonna keep this until I'm actually wowed like I was when I saw the first iPhone presentation- ok, maybe not that long but you get the message.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:04 PM   #109
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

apple pre order site is late
Old 13 September 2019, 10:05 PM   #110
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

Order placed
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:08 PM   #111
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneecough View Post
Order placed
Same, that was very easy. Previous years were a nightmare.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:19 PM   #112
Syed117
"TRF" Member

There definitely isn't the same amount of demand there used to be. At least for the higher end models. Hammering away at the servers.

Pretty painless. Ordered a green pro max for my dad. Looking forward to seeing what kind of video comes out of this thing.

Quote:

XS to 11 Pro Max isn't a worthwhile upgrade. This year is a dud.

Next year should be good.
Old 13 September 2019, 10:22 PM   #113
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I will wait for the “expert consumers” to work out the bugs and probably buy in March.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:27 PM   #114
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agreed, but, I use the apple upgrade program and get the new one every year. It’s my most used piece of electronics, so might as well always have the latest/greatest.
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:29 PM   #115
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneecough View Post
Agreed, but, I use the apple upgrade program and get the new one every year. It’s my most used piece of electronics, so might as well always have the latest/greatest.
Yeah, I have a few friends who do the same

I usually upgrade every year as well, but on the android side.
Old 13 September 2019, 10:30 PM   #116
pianomankd
"TRF" Member

Order place. 11 Pro.

Of course, I had to order it in that pine green ;-)

Heading to Italy next month too, can't wait to test out this new camera!
pianomankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:33 PM   #117
pianomankd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
apple pre order site is late
I did the pre-order pre-order setup earlier this week where we were told that on the app you could just wake up and hit submit.

When I woke up to do it, the app had all sorts of errors and it wouldn't accept my submission. So I had to go through the whole process again ordering the phone and now I'm delayed shipment until October 4-11. That's a huge window and usually in the past it will arrive earlier than that. Oh well!
pianomankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:34 PM   #118
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

People say the exact same thing every year. Phone technology is very good now and each generation isn’t making tech jumps like 10 years ago. That’s why I only upgrade every 2-3 generations now. No point in always having the “latest and greatest”

Currently have the X so the 11 Pro is a solid upgrade.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:38 PM   #119
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
People say the exact same thing every year. Phone technology is very good now and each generation isn’t making tech jumps like 10 years ago. That’s why I only upgrade every 2-3 generations now. No point in always having the “latest and greatest”

Currently have the X so the 11 Pro is a solid upgrade.
Same for my dad. Going from the X to the 11 Pro Max. He's excited so that's reason enough. He loves the new green as well.

No one is doing anything crazy anymore but there are little things that should have come this year. They stuck the word Pro on these new models. They should definitely be more Pro. They are more like XSS.

Let me just jump ahead about 5 years and get the Pixel Fold. Form factor seems like it will be the next big change.
Old 13 September 2019, 10:49 PM   #120
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Placed an order this am for the Green 11 Pro 256. I was on the ledge but decided to go for it. The new camera swayed me. ETA is next Friday. I have the Apple CC so everything was simple.

I choose the Pro over the Pro Max simply for size. I have a X now and the size is perfect. Fits well in suit jackets and pant pockets without looking odd