The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Will the 116713LN hold its value in the short and long term?
YES, it will maintain its value. 33 28.95%
NO, you will take a hit almost immediately 70 61.40%
It will likely APPRECIATE in value. 11 9.65%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 November 2018, 01:49 PM   #31
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Buy what you love. Best of luck!
Old 17 November 2018, 02:10 PM   #32
mjr24
Banned

I am also looking at this model and possibly at the YG version. I have tried this model on several times and looked at a thousand pics online and it really impresses me.

I am not normally a TT fan (I'm only in my 30's) but the GMT is the best looking watch Rolex makes in my opinion and it's not even close (it's all about the dial......that's why the Sub isn't even close). It's like a car....if you have an ugly looking car in general, then it doesn't matter what color it is, it still is going to look ugly.

However, if you have a gorgeous designed car with beautiful lines....it doesn't matter if the exterior is lime green or yellow or aqua blue, it will still just look hot (think, Lambo).

I think the TT was tastefully done on this model and it's a modern looking watch. I have had my hands on TT Datejusts that a lot of people love here, and I'm sorry, but the two tone looked cheesy and fake on that model (especially with the fluted bezel). I had both the TT with black dial and TT with slate (Wimbledon) dial. I do not get that impression at all with the GMT.

If you pay $13k new, yeah, you will take a hit. I am looking for a very lightly pre-owned and expect to pay about $10-10,500. I am pretty confident I will be able to always get around that when I sell it. That is why I don't think I can justify paying $26,500 (cheapest price I have gotten on NIB all yellow gold GMT) for basically another 40% of the bracelet being gold and the small case. It's not worth it to me. The TT has 60-70% of the gold the YG model has and it's $16k more approximately. I've seen a couple pre-owned YG models but they are all 8-10 years old and still $23-25k. No point paying that much for a pre-owned when it automatically should be serviced now (since they are about 10 years old) and that will cost another $1500.

In short, I think the YG TT is a real steal of a deal right now....especially lightly pre-owned. I know they just came out with the root beer....but rose gold is meh. It's more of a feminine color. Looking at old prices, the pre-owned have gone up like every other model. Looking back at posts from like 2010-2013 on here...these were going for like $9k and the model was only a couple years old. $9k will not get you into a nice one of these anymore.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 02:12 PM   #33
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
The tt gmt will most likely lose value from msrp after purchase. It is a beautiful watch, just not as popular as others.
Old 17 November 2018, 04:22 PM   #34
calh22a
Banned

I think it’s a good looking watch. I tried one on recently at an AD. I’m just a SS guy and not a huge TT fan, but I do think it’s a very nicely done watch. At the end of day, the only thing that should matter is whether or not you like it.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:40 PM   #35
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
I like two tone watches, but I agree with the logic that they fit into a collection while SS is a better one and only! Happy collecting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:42 PM   #36
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
It's a handsome watch but a bit too similar in looks to the equivalent TT Submariner - unless of course, the GMT function is essential to the purchase.

I went for the Sub purely on looks - the bezel appears to me to be less "busy'' or crowded.

What he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:47 AM   #37
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I wouldn't really put it as being in the minority just as l wouldn't say I'm in the minority because of my taste for some that are not so mainstream. I say if you like any TT buy it and don't worry about resale being if your in the position to buy a Rolex in the first place a few bucks made or lost shouldn't be a big deal. It's more or less a luxury item so......Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 08:18 AM   #38
Mach 5
"TRF" Member

Check out the everose 2 tone models in the GMT and YM first. They look great for bi-metal. The chocolate face GMT with 2tone C bezel is awesome.
Mach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:48 PM   #39
DayDateDream
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 TT 116713LN
Yes that was always my impression about Rose Gold as well. I thought it was more marketed to women. Maybe I’m old School, but to me, gold looks best in yellow.
Yes I’m hoping the 116713LN follows suit in terms of gradual appreciation, it makes sense, it’s a tool watch, they’re starting to be depleted, and it’s a beautiful watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
I am also looking at this model and possibly at the YG version. I have tried this model on several times and looked at a thousand pics online and it really impresses me.

I am not normally a TT fan (I'm only in my 30's) but the GMT is the best looking watch Rolex makes in my opinion and it's not even close (it's all about the dial......that's why the Sub isn't even close). It's like a car....if you have an ugly looking car in general, then it doesn't matter what color it is, it still is going to look ugly.

However, if you have a gorgeous designed car with beautiful lines....it doesn't matter if the exterior is lime green or yellow or aqua blue, it will still just look hot (think, Lambo).

I think the TT was tastefully done on this model and it's a modern looking watch. I have had my hands on TT Datejusts that a lot of people love here, and I'm sorry, but the two tone looked cheesy and fake on that model (especially with the fluted bezel). I had both the TT with black dial and TT with slate (Wimbledon) dial. I do not get that impression at all with the GMT.

If you pay $13k new, yeah, you will take a hit. I am looking for a very lightly pre-owned and expect to pay about $10-10,500. I am pretty confident I will be able to always get around that when I sell it. That is why I don't think I can justify paying $26,500 (cheapest price I have gotten on NIB all yellow gold GMT) for basically another 40% of the bracelet being gold and the small case. It's not worth it to me. The TT has 60-70% of the gold the YG model has and it's $16k more approximately. I've seen a couple pre-owned YG models but they are all 8-10 years old and still $23-25k. No point paying that much for a pre-owned when it automatically should be serviced now (since they are about 10 years old) and that will cost another $1500.

In short, I think the YG TT is a real steal of a deal right now....especially lightly pre-owned. I know they just came out with the root beer....but rose gold is meh. It's more of a feminine color. Looking at old prices, the pre-owned have gone up like every other model. Looking back at posts from like 2010-2013 on here...these were going for like $9k and the model was only a couple years old. $9k will not get you into a nice one of these anymore.
DayDateDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:49 PM   #40
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I did not fill in the poll because if a watch holds value or not is the wrong argument to buy imho.
Does your car hold value ? Or your John Lobbs ? Or your bespoke suit ?

It's easy to fall in love with the 116713LN because it's arguably the best looking TT ever made and makes any other SS reference looking (BLRO exempted) like a plain Jane
The photoshop hurts my eyes every time
Old 18 November 2018, 02:21 PM   #41
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did not fill in the poll because if a watch holds value or not is the wrong argument to buy imho.

It's easy to fall in love with the 116713LN because it's arguably the best looking TT ever made and makes any other SS reference looking (BLRO exempted) like a plain Jane
I just bought this same two tone GMT a few weeks ago. I love it! I was scared to wear it for a few weeks, but I wore it last week for the first time. I have a BLNR (at Rolliworks right now to fix a few dings) and a HULK.

Who cares about value? If you keep it long enough, you will break even or sell for a profit. The gold is awesome. This is my first two tone and I am already looking for a PM. Wear it, love it and cherish it. It's a gorgeous watch.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:45 PM   #42
Rodolfo_4
"TRF" Member

For me

It is one of the coolest watches rolex makes

It is my favorite

From a Daytona c white, Pepsi and hulk

The other 3 are more desirable, but to me the gmt tt is just more beautiful
Rodolfo_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:56 PM   #43
DayDateDream
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 5 View Post
Check out the everose 2 tone models in the GMT and YM first. They look great for bi-metal. The chocolate face GMT with 2tone C bezel is awesome.
Agreed. The Rootbeer GMT is pretty much the only Rose Gold model I like, as I feel that rose gold was always originally created/marketed for women.

But good luck getting a Rootbeer. The main AD over here never got a single one all year!!!
Old 18 November 2018, 03:17 PM   #44
DayDateDream
"TRF" Member

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
I just bought this same two tone GMT a few weeks ago. I love it! I was scared to wear it for a few weeks, but I wore it last week for the first time. I have a BLNR (at Rolliworks right now to fix a few dings) and a HULK.

Who cares about value? If you keep it long enough, you will break even or sell for a profit. The gold is awesome. This is my first two tone and I am already looking for a PM. Wear it, love it and cherish it. It's a gorgeous watch.
Old 18 November 2018, 06:49 PM   #45
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Normally when I am wearing my GMT I use the bezel to time out every hour so I remember to check online prices for it to make sure the value is holding up. My only debate is whether I should check every 45 minutes.
An actual LOL...thank you!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:28 PM   #46
1kw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Beautiful watch, I love mine. I have a two tone blue sub. C and the two tone black/gold gmt C. Both are great, much nicer than stainless steel versions in my opinion.
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 12:21 AM   #47
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Just look at the 5 digit TT GMT’s value now compared to when they would have been purchased back in their day.
There’s your answer.
GMT Aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 10:21 PM   #48
1kw
"TRF" Member

I had a rose gold daytona c and a 40 mm yellow gold day date and they never left the house. I would literally wear them in the house but I always felt they were way to showy for me , I felt all gold was definitely a show off watch (look what I have) kind of deal and sold them both. However I don't feel that way about the two tone sport models. I wore a two tone black sub. for years as a one and only, wore it in bicycle races and 500 mile bike trips, to work, beach, dress everywhere and then traded for a ss daytona. I hated how easily the daytona bezel scratched. The daytona is gone, no regrets hard to read and overhyped in my opinion also wears small. I now have a blue/gold SS sub. c and black/gold SS GMT c . and they look different enough to me ie green hour hand and writing on the GMT dial with the different bezel vs the bluesy. I don't feel like a show off with the TT sport models , they look great, do not scratch anymore than the BLNR I had in the past, yet to me are way better looking the plain SS. More people had SS sport models in the past because of the price difference , then yellow gold fell out of favor to many but to me the tt sport models are beautiful watches, not too showy, but dressier and nicer than all SS.
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 03:27 AM   #49
DayDateDream
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Just look at the 5 digit TT GMT’s value now compared to when they would have been purchased back in their day.
There’s your answer.
Hi, where could I find such information ? I would actually like to do just that. Thanks
Old 21 November 2018, 04:10 AM   #50
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I do not like two tone.

As for value, when do you plan to sell it?
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116713ln , first rolex , gmt advice , gmt master 2 , two-tone