The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 November 2018, 03:57 AM   #1
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Has this happened to you?

After reading the ‘Now that's consistency’ thread.

I have had a Rolex for 20 years and the following scenario has never happened, until this month when it has happened twice on my Submariner.

Most weeks due to the nature of my work I am unable to wear my watch for 4 or 5 days. I don’t have a winder (though think I will get one) so usually have to re-set the watch and give it a slight shake – no problem. (I don’t re-set the date so it is usually wrong, which is why I am thinking of getting a winder)

Anyway, twice in the last four weeks I have picked the watch up and as usual it had stopped – but at exactly the correct time – so I only needed to shake it.

Can anybody match or beat that?
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 04:32 AM   #2
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Are you taking it off and putting it back on at the same time everyday?
Old 21 November 2018, 04:49 AM   #3
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

No, sometimes it's worn for only a few hours or sometimes three or four days on the trot and certainly no pattern when I put it on or off.
Now I have a second watch they will each be worn less.
Old 21 November 2018, 05:10 AM   #4
DtownRRS
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT/SUB/Daytona
I think you wife is messing with you when you go to work!
DtownRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:30 AM   #5
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
No, but I have on several occasions put on a watch that I have not worn in months and the date is correct.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:36 AM   #6
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Well thinking about it I have just calculated it's a 1 in 720 chance of being the right time - so if you pick up an unwound watch once a week the chance is that once in 13.8 years the time is correct. But to happen twice so close together....

.....must be the wife (but I know it isn't, she probably thinks it has a battery!)
Old 21 November 2018, 06:46 AM   #7
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtownRRS View Post
I think you wife is messing with you when you go to work!
Old 21 November 2018, 07:00 AM   #8
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: forever changing
my $.02
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day...

I never heard you mention winding your watch. Only a reset and shake.
Assuming you are not winding it, and only shaking, there is a lot to me said for your expections.

In all my years, I am surprised to see how many people misunderstand what an "automatic" watch is.
It doesn't wind itself. It only keeps itself wound.

Shaking...??? Don't expect a watch to run, let alone be accurate, just by shaking it.

Especially with Rolex, I find so many people complain about keeping poor time. They are puzzled by the question "did you wind it properly?". They think that a good shake, and as long as the second is moving, they are good to go.

I find that mostly Rolex have a nice free-flowing oscillating weight (rotar), so that people see that second hand move easily.

Your watch seemed to good all this time, and only recently stopped its working. Maybe time for a service???
briboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 07:50 AM   #9
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your input, but I’m not sure you understood my post.

In twenty years of owning Rolex I have never wound one (ever!) I give it a light shake two or three times and have never had one not work perfectly or keep anything other than perfect time.

I don’t know much about the workings of a watch but understand that if I take it off within a short time it will not remain running long, but after wearing it for two or three days it does infact seem to wind itself and will remain running for many hours.

I can assure you the watch runs perfectly and keeps perfect time.
Old 21 November 2018, 07:51 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post

Can anybody match or beat that?
Nope.

You win.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 08:12 AM   #11
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
Thanks for your input, but I’m not sure you understood my post.

In twenty years of owning Rolex I have never wound one (ever!) I give it a light shake two or three times and have never had one not work perfectly or keep anything other than perfect time.

I don’t know much about the workings of a watch but understand that if I take it off within a short time it will not remain running long, but after wearing it for two or three days it does infact seem to wind itself and will remain running for many hours.

I can assure you the watch runs perfectly and keeps perfect time.
Your watch should have a power reserve of around 48 hours depending on the model assuming it is fully wound and functioning correctly. Whenever I have my watch off for more than 2 days and it stops I always unscrew the crown and wind it 30-40 times to get the movement started, then I'll set the time and date. It usually takes 15-20 twists of the crown to get the second hand started. I do the same when I look at a watch in store (after asking the sales associate if they mind if I do so).

Winding is standard procedure for any Rolex with a screw-down crown (which is most of them). It’s done the same way for all Rolex watches, like so:

1. Unwind the crown by twisting it counterclockwise until it is free of the screw threads.
2. Twist the crown clockwise about 30 times, which will wind the movement of the watch.
3. Push in the crown and screw it down until it is snug.

Your watch probably stops sooner than it should because you are never fully winding it. The automatic movement will keep a watch functioning and the power reserve "topped up" almost indefinitely but it would take a long time and a lot of movement of your wrist to fully wind a movement that had stopped on its own. If you have the manual for your watch I would recommend reading it. All of this is detailed in there.

Regarding the date setting, I've never understood why anyone would have a date complication on their watch and not set it. I set mine every other month or when it stops due to being off my wrist for a few days (which it almost never is).

Also, at 20 years I would hope you've had at least one service done. If not, I would send it in and have one done. Rolex recommends owners do this every 10 years to ensure the watch remains accurate and water tight. They will disassemble your watch, clean and evaluate it and replace any parts necessary.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote