The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 November 2018, 02:46 PM   #91
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

I will never, ever sell my petit prince big pilot. Rolex makes nothing even remotely close.

Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 03:14 PM   #92
cuffs
"TRF" Member

been there and done that.
In hindsight, not necessarily a disaster as i believe the 'stand-ins' are watches in the radar anyway.
A total impromptu replacement on the other hand would likely not satisfy that itch in the long run
cuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 03:30 PM   #93
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
I will never, ever sell my petit prince big pilot. Rolex makes nothing even remotely close.

That is one sexy watch. I always wanted one of these.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 07:55 PM   #94
callen4533
"TRF" Member

IWC watches are beautiful... not my cup of tea but appreciate them
callen4533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 09:15 PM   #95
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by callen4533 View Post
I feel your pain and Rolex have gone too far with the latest "marketing". The pendulum has swung and I'm itching for something different, something not Rolex...not sure what!! I'd love a George Daniels, but I'd need to rob a bank to afford one of those.
It is not Rolex marketing, Rolex have done nothing different for years. It is Price that has caused this market and then driven it to new heights. Price caused first by Brexit which made Rolexes dirt cheap here and there was a mad rush for the popular models which drove up prices here and gradually around the globe as we are all interconnected now, and then these rising prices attracted genuine opportunity cost buyers from other brands and then speculators and credit flippers and thus it continues its momentum. It is all Price driven, it is not marketing or anything to do with Rolex at all really.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 09:27 PM   #96
Left_at_the_lights
"TRF" Member

Rolex are all over Formula 1 and Wimbledon and are forever advertising their unobtainable watches in glossy magazines.

I dont think I’ve ever seen an IWC advert.

I would say long term marketing and brand awareness is key
Left_at_the_lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 09:31 PM   #97
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Congrats, enjoy your IWC!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 09:50 PM   #98
Pangit
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your IWC. Mine says hello.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F09CBD37-42BA-4DEB-AA72-C88675474C87.jpeg (203.5 KB, 300 views)
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 11:59 PM   #99
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Forget about that HK airport store...how about some 30+ ADs in the HK proper that I personally visited over 2017-2018 that also have NOTHING in SS to sell? There is an AD on every corner in HK, literally...walk in, all sales folks with long faces and no interest to even discuss watches they supposedly represent, let alone try to sell one to a keen customer. Not sure how Rolex can think this is a good thing at all..short term, yeah maybe it is not a big deal but longer term, this is not reflecting well on the brand, billboards and Wimbledon aside.
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 12:32 AM   #100
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
This only makes sense if you wanted the IWC. They all only tell the time.
And there you have it.

If you didn’t want the IWC, was it money well spent when in reality you truly wanted the Rolex?
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:47 AM   #101
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_at_the_lights View Post
Rolex are all over Formula 1 and Wimbledon and are forever advertising their unobtainable watches in glossy magazines.
And major Golf tournaments.......

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:50 AM   #102
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Not actual watch! Those images won't load for some reason. I think it's pretty. And less flash in parts of Vietnam.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nice, I’ve almost pulled the trigger on this one many times. Enjoy!
Old 21 November 2018, 05:54 AM   #103
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer View Post
I am not sure I agree... I had several Pilots, both on straps and on bracelets. Their bracelets are superb, but their pilot straps are the best in the industry.

I looked at pictures of that watch and could not figure out for the life of me why anyone would buy it. It was just so weird looking. Then one of my clients walked in one day wearing one and I was like oh my God it’s incredible. In person, it’s one of my favorite watchers ever. I wore an IWC GST Automatic Chrono (they did make the identical model in quartz) for a while and l loved it. Gave it to my son for his 18th birthday and 5 years later it hasn’t missed a beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 12:08 PM   #104
Highjinx
Banned

Watch: Rolex Sub - 16610
IWC advertised in the latest Johnny English movie by making Rowan Atkinson wear one. Not sure who could have thought that a good idea.

Quote:

I dont think I’ve ever seen an IWC advert.

I would say long term marketing and brand awareness is key
Highjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 01:42 PM   #105
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy2099 View Post
Just to offer some balance here. I think a Rolex is that special and I don’t think there is a brand that offers a better timepiece. Now I know to a degree that this argument is subjective but I think for the price point it is difficult to match a Rolex in terms of the movement, the finishing, the durability, reliability, the history and the overall iconic nature of the brand. Now some commentators are discussing how some arguments will go back to the resale value of the watch. I’m not going to use the resale value argument but will just point out that the fact a Rolex holds its value reflects the other more important qualities of a Rolex watch that I’ve listed.

Having said that IWC do offer two models that are classics: the Portugieser and the Big Pilot. I’d never buy either but I like the history of both. However, the OP doesn’t say which model was bought. In my view it it was anything other than the two models I mentioned then (in my opinion) it was an ill advised rash purchase.

You hit the nail on the head right there.

I think folks who say “don’t talk about resale value” forget two important points. The points are “liquidity” and “future proof.”

Owning something that retains as high of value as possible or, even appreciate in value, over time offers liquidity. That’s an important aspect of asset ownership. Yes one can say now he would never sell his watches, but how would one know what future holds? How would we know 5 or 10 years from now we won’t find ourselves bored with the pieces we own and decide to move on?

When the time comes for us to move on, would we rather have pieces that sell for decent price AND easily, or the pieces that end up pennies on the dollar just to essentially “beg” people to buy?

So yes, I’d say resale value is very important especially on jewelry pieces like high-end watches. It protects us from getting stuck with the pieces we no longer want in future.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 01:45 PM   #106
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
Quote:
Not actual watch! Those images won't load for some reason. I think it's pretty. And less flash in parts of Vietnam.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks for using my picture - a compliment of sorts.

IWC makes FANTASTIC watches. You enjoy that IWC... its a sweet piece.
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 02:59 PM   #107
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Only problem with IWC is that you need some big wrists to wear those things. I have 7 1/4 inch wrists, which aren’t small by TRF standards.

I tried on some IWC Pilot watches, but they were just too big on me. The 40mm Mark 18 wears bigger than my Sub. Lug to lug size is longer. Too bad because I really love those watches.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 03:26 PM   #108
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post

5009-08........the best Big Pilot dial to date!
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:07 PM   #109
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was in Hong Kong airport yesterday. There is a HUGE Rolex boutique in the middle of the damn thing, that you couldn't miss even if you were blind.

Not a single non solid gold model to be had. Not a single customer inside and at least 20 sales reps.

Nothing to sell that customers want, what is the point of the shop? Rent must be astronomical.

I want to buy a blue face 116622 but cannot find one anywhere. I am not a muppet so will not pay > RRP.

I was so frustrated I bought a blue face IWC instead. Damn you Rolex.

Congrats!!! World is full of other great watches, other brands!!!

FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:38 PM   #110
troways
"TRF" Member

The rolex BT in the HK airport is ran by DickXXX Watch & Jewellery, one of the major grey market supplier in HK. Of course there won't be any hot model available, no surprise at all.
troways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:49 PM   #111
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troways View Post
The rolex BT in the HK airport is ran by DickXXX Watch & Jewellery, one of the major grey market supplier in HK. Of course there won't be any hot model available, no surprise at all.
Bingo!!

This is common practice these days. Everyone knows whats going on now.

AD's flipping to Gray dealers who ALOT of the time are themselves or close friends/business associates. Onsell to end users like us for big premiums.

Collect cash, Go to HSBC and deposit, Go out on 5 star dinners and start laughing at all of us over dinner and discuss how easy it was to make money.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:06 PM   #112
Highjinx
Banned

Watch: Rolex Sub - 16610
This is insane. How can Rolex allow these guys to make such easy money? So a hot new watch comes in and goes STRAIGHT to the greys?! How shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troways View Post
Highjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:43 PM   #113
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Yes one can say now he would never sell his watches, but how would one know what future holds? How would we know 5 or 10 years from now we won’t find ourselves bored with the pieces we own and decide to move on?
I never buy watches with the intention of selling but where possible I prefer to buy something with good retained value. I might not be cashing my collection in (all being well) but my kids probably will.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:52 PM   #114
Left_at_the_lights
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post

I think folks who say “don’t talk about resale value” forget two important points. The points are “liquidity” and “future proof"
How "liquid" really is a Rolex? If you want to sell it seems your choices are going to a dealer and having your pants pulled down or opening yourself to a world of grief and hassle by trying to sell it online.

More trouble than it's worth imo

I read plenty of discussions about Omega and Grand Seiko and never see a word about "resale value". Most people just seem to buy the watch they like and accept a second hand watch will be worth less than a new one...
Old 21 November 2018, 07:01 PM   #115
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How "liquid" really is a Rolex? If you want to sell it seems your choices are going to a dealer and having your pants pulled down or opening yourself to a world of grief and hassle by trying to sell it online.

More trouble than it's worth imo

I read plenty of discussions about Omega and Grand Seiko and never see a word about "resale value". Most people just seem to buy the watch they like and accept a second hand watch will be worth less than a new one...
Have you ever sold a watch before? I sold a Tudor GMT and Air King to Chronext. It was all so simple and more importantly I didn't actually lose any money on either because both watches are/were in demand (the AK was at the time). I would imagine I could sell my Submariner and GMT for more than I paid for them.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 07:28 PM   #116
Left_at_the_lights
"TRF" Member

No but buying and selling a car is enough of a ballache. I can only imagine the idiots I'd have to deal with trying to flog a Rolex online. I'm sure you can save grief by selling to a dealer but they are going to eat up a big chunk of any potential profit.

Most people buy luxury watches to keep and enjoy. If the main consideration is being able to sell at a profit I'm not sure that's the best reason to buy a watch...
Old 21 November 2018, 08:08 PM   #117
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
No but buying and selling a car is enough of a ballache. I can only imagine the idiots I'd have to deal with trying to flog a Rolex online. I'm sure you can save grief by selling to a dealer but they are going to eat up a big chunk of any potential profit.

Most people buy luxury watches to keep and enjoy. If the main consideration is being able to sell at a profit I'm not sure that's the best reason to buy a watch...
You haven't been to Asia. Come with a fresh stamped watch and see how easy it is to flop Even a grey would pick it up for a very fair price.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 08:21 PM   #118
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I responded to your initial post and said how easy it was to sell two watches and how I didn't lose any money. My point was that certain hot watches are fairly 'liquid'.

Yes, many people buy watches to keep and enjoy but for some people it is comforting to know that if they needed to sell a watch in the future that they can essentially sell at roughly the price they paid. I'm not sure anyone has posted in this thread about the importance of making a profit from selling a watch.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 08:42 PM   #119
Gwatch555
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
IWC make excellent, well regarded watches, many wirh stellar in-house movements. Unfortunately, this will likely just turn into another thread on Rolex value retention as that is, apparently, the only consideration when choosing a watch these days...
Congrats OP, do post a picture when you get a chance.
x2
Gwatch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:13 PM   #120
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Too many people absolutely have no idea on what other brands can offer. IWC are beautiful watches.

Time to take of your rose colored Rolex glasses - after owning heaps of Rolex's they are not THAT special. Come one seriously. Many many other brands that offer the same, equivalent or much better horological timepieces than a Rolex.
There are a lot of great watch brands out there like IWC.

Unfortunately many of them are toxic value wise and are liable to hurt your wallet.

Cue, if you can't afford it don't buy.

Or if you have no intention to sell what's the difference.
Or watches are a hobby not an investment vehicle.
Or (the most preposterous), I don't care about my money.

Rinse and repeat.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote