The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2023, 10:08 PM   #31
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I started with Rolex in 1992. I’ve always had one or two and it wasn’t until about 2016 when I started to buy more.

I also have one Panerai and a Speedmaster.

I think other brands add a bit of interest if you’re going to have more than a few watches. All one brand would be boring (to me) YMMV
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 10:15 PM   #32
Sherwood Hatter
"TRF" Member

First purchases on the road were Oris. Loved them but both were stolen in a home burglary a couple of years ago.
Had the money and inclination to get a Rolex. It was quite a proud moment for me when I went to the AD and so it was unexpected when I was basically told to buy other brands before I could be considered for a Rolex. Any reading of forum would have told me what to expect but it still came as a shock.
Buying a Rolex is as much about emotion as practicality and my treatment at the AD left me so disappointed I looked elsewhere.
I have since bought three Glashutte Original watches (which I adore and admire) and a Speedy (which I sold as I could not get comfortable with it in the wrist).
I would still like a Rolex one day but I will wait until I can shop in an AD and keep my dignity.
Sherwood Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 10:20 PM   #33
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_kid View Post
I’ve been hunting for a JLC Master Control sector dial but also debating between the calendar w/moon phase. Since you’ve had both, any thoughts on why you sold the sector dial and kept the moon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The sector dial was fantastic, but had a more casual and versatile vibe in my opinion. I adore the symmetry and finish of the moonphase and would choose this one again. I have also kept it because it was a gift for my 30th bday!
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 10:21 PM   #34
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Before I worked my way up to Rolex I tried Tag, Omega and Breitling. Once I was able to get my first Rolex I was hooked. Owned many APs and Panerai, IWC etc but Rolex is always the one that has remained the staple in my collection and the brand I enjoy most.

travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 10:43 PM   #35
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm765 View Post
The sector dial was fantastic, but had a more casual and versatile vibe in my opinion. I adore the symmetry and finish of the moonphase and would choose this one again. I have also kept it because it was a gift for my 30th bday!

That’s good to know thanks. JLC does such a good job with their moonphase. I even like it more than the VC Fiftysix moon.

Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 11:15 PM   #36
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Ever since I was a Kid I was looking onto peoples wrists to see if I can pick what they are wearing, at age 15 in 1975 I was looking into AD's windows!

Every watchshop, I would stop and look, until I found my passion for ROLEX!!

My Boss in 1980 had a Daytona 6263 "I fell in Love"!

Bought my first Rolex in 1986 a 1675, sold and purchased newer model!

I'm a rolex man for 40 years now, traveled lots to switzerland and picked up my "Grail's".

Have owned so far:

1983 - Submariner 1680
1986 - Gmt 1675
1997 - Gmt 16700
1999 - Yachtmaster Unisex 169623
1999 - 16520 White
2000 - 16520 Black
2002 - Wifes 169623 Yachtmaster
2002 - Daytona 116520 White
2004 - Daytona 116520 White
2008 - Airking 14000M
2009 - Submariner 14600M
2009 - Gmt 16710
2010 - Explorer 16570
2019 - Milgauss 116400 GV
2020 - Submariner 114060

I would have loved to have kept all of them!

But unfortunatly Life and Health takes it's turns, things change and happen!!

So Current Line up is:

Oh and wear them daily, each a week at a time!

NO SAFE QUEENS!!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 11:20 PM   #37
HAPConst
Banned

I bought my first Rolex in Italy on my honeymoon 20yrs ago this sept. I am surprising my wife with trip back there. I will probably get another while I am there if any are for sale, but I am not expecting that to happen give the shortage in stores.

After the first one, I try to buy one every year or two. I am great at finding excuses to buy them. A couple years back we had a mild winter/early spring so I bought one to commentate that. This year I flipped a coin with my wife. I won the flip so I get to buy another one as soon as I find it.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 11:33 PM   #38
harvey
"TRF" Member

…love reading everyone’s post…thank you!
Old 13 April 2023, 11:44 PM   #39
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I echo the above poster, I love reading everyone's posts and history. It's interesting how so many people fall in love with the Speedmaster but would rather collect it than wear it.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:38 AM   #40
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPConst View Post

A couple years back we had a mild winter/early spring so I bought one to commentate that. This year I flipped a coin with my wife. I won the flip so I get to buy another one as soon as I find it.

LOL

That’s a great idea. Yesterday afternoon was a little warmer than usual this time of year in Colorado.

I think an Omega Speedmaster is the only appropriate way to celebrate the occasion.

Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 02:12 AM   #41
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
…how has your Rolex journey been? have you only bought Rolex? have you bought other brands before buying your Rolex? have you sold Rolexes to try other brands? or have you sold others to come back to Rolex?
Long and (latterly) expensive!

I was gifted my first Rolex for my 21st. Second hand, purchased by my dad from a good friend of his.

Wore that as a daily from 1988 until 2000. My only watch.

Sold that in 2000 and bought a new 16610 from a reseller which I wore as a daily for 6 years. Also my only watch.

Traded that in 2006 for a 16600 from my AD which I wore as a daily for 7 years. My only other watch at this time was a Casio G Shock purchased for mountain biking.

Traded that in 2013 for a 116515 from my AD which I wore as a daily as I still only had that and the G Shock.

Swapped that in early 2017 for cash and a 116613 LN from my go to bricks and mortar reseller which I wore as a daily.

Sold that back to my go to B&M reseller when my 126600 arrived in September 2017 (from my AD) which I also wore pretty much as a a daily.

Traded that for a BNIB, fully stickered 2010 16600 in January last year (my go to reseller again) Loved the SD43 but Rolex couldn't fix the 32xx issue and always regretted trading the 16600 back in 2013.

Promptly pulled the stickers off (and probably 40% of its value )

Gave up the AD chase and bought my CHNR late 2022 (different grey)

Realised a dream and bought my 116509 in March this year, again from my go to B&M reseller.

In short, I've worn a Rolex pretty much daily from 1988 until mid 2021 when I picked up my BB58 blue and in rotation from then until now.

Current Rolex collection is my 16600, 126711, 116509, which I'm extremely content with.

All now worn in rotation with my other watches. A BB58 blue (purchased 2021), a Seiko SPB2737J1 (Willard re-interpretation - purchased 2022), a Chopard Mille Miglia (gifted to me in 2017) my G Shock collection (stared in 2020 and now down to a manageable 7) and some others gifted to me.

If you discount the G-Shocks I bought in 2006 and again from 2020, up until 2021 I've never bought anything that would be considered (by most) to be a "luxury watch" other than Rolex. Would have bought an AP ROC Panda when they were in AD windows available for sale but couldn't justify the cost at that time.

I'm far from a Rolex snob (if I'm honest, the BB58 is a better quality offering than the 16600 and closer to the CHNR than it should be at the price) I just really like the watches and have been a fan for over 30 years - long before they became such a hyped brand.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 02:32 AM   #42
krzspeedstr
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I got the watch bug from my Dad, he loved small delicate small watches. His grail watch was a Rado. I would read about all kind of models and really liked Rolex.

I got a Movado for high school graduation in the 90s. While in College I worked in the summers and was able to buy my first expensive watch, Brietling (actually bought 2 one for me and one for my younger brother).

First Rolex was a Pepsi, bought with my first big bonus from my first job after college in the early 2000s.

2nd was a Black dial SS Daytona - returned it to the store bc my GF at the time gave me such a grief for buying an expensive watch when according to her I should have been shopping for a ring

In between I bought an Omega Deville, it was a beautiful watch in TT (yellow and SS) - I sold this watch as I did not love it.

Bought Cartier Santos Galbee - enjoyed wearing this watch even thought it was fairly small

3rd was a TT DJ Rose & Steel 36mm - I loved this watch bc at the time Rose gold pieces were rare

After completing my MBA my Parents gifted me a Cartier Pasha Seatimer, great watch although most enthusiasts think that Cartiers are jewelry and not really great time pieces (I love them)

4th Rolex was a Black Dial Daytona - I could never get over having it returned, sucks that when I finally got it it cost me a couple of grand more

5th Rolex was a Hulk - great watch and at the time most people did not like it. I stopped by the AD that sold me the Daytona to say hi and he shared that he had it available (I think I got a discount on it too)

I had a long hiatus from buying any new watches as life happens and other priorities take place.

Last year I got my 6th Rolex, Rootbeer. I had not kept up with the market and it was nuts. Took me a year to get the watch from asking the AD to delivery.

I have sold most of the smaller pieces I acquired when younger and lost the DJ in a divorce, wife wore it and refused to give it back (made it part of the agreement). I still have the rest of the other Rolex models and so far not looking to sell any of them.
Old 14 April 2023, 02:35 AM   #43
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
I've been a watch nerd since I was very young, bought a Movado in high school after wearing many Casio watches since I was ten.

I Bought my first brand new Rolex 20 years ago, bought another new one last year however in meantime I have added 2 Omegas(Sea & Speedmasters) and one Cartier tank.

My favorite is still Rolex but other watches have attracted my attention as well. I'm hoping for a Sub to close out the collection for at least another decade or so. I tend to hold on to my pieces for a very long time.
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote