The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 July 2020, 09:54 AM   #1
qwertymr
"TRF" Member

Authenticity Check...

First time posting here and first time Rolex buyer, that being said I need some help identifying if the Rolex I’m interested in real. It’s on eBay and says authenticity verified but I still don’t trust it... I have the link to the ad but would like to PM somebody it. For reference it is a vintage Air King and the only reason I am skeptical is the price as well as the location of the seller.

Thanks for reading and helping out.
qwertymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 09:55 AM   #2
LyingFlat
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41
Trust your gut and avoid it...
LyingFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 09:55 AM   #3
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
When in doubt do not buy. Better safe than sorry. I would find a trusted seller.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:03 AM   #4
qwertymr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboevo2 View Post
When in doubt do not buy. Better safe than sorry. I would find a trusted seller.
It appears to be a very well trusted seller. Very positive ratings and a very high amount of them. It even shows ebays “authenticity verified” stamp on the post. I just wanted a second opinion before purchase.

They also accept 30 day returns so it wouldn’t be a huge deal to get it verified locally once receiving and if it turns out fake I can return. But I’d still like to avoid the hassle and get one of you alls opinion.
Old 8 July 2020, 10:07 AM   #5
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, but also regular guys like you and I, sending a pic to a random on here that agrees to take a look at it will not authenticate it anymore than the reviews of the seller that already exist.
If something feels not right, I would avoid (also wouldn't pay much attention to the "authenticity verified" on ebay). However, if the seller has loads of feedback for comparable watches and you pay by Paypal the risk may be minimal.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:12 AM   #6
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

FYI, this comes from someone that has bought a vintage Air King from ebay....Turned out well, but if you haven't already done so I would strongly advise looking at one in person first. I flipped mine within 3 months, I hadn't realised how much smaller a 34mm seemed than 40mm or even 36mm. The bracelet seemed very delicate and feminine.
If its the watch you really want then great, if its just because its the cheapest entry into Rolex, unless you are of slight build or genuinely like smaller watches I would keep on looking.
Old 8 July 2020, 10:13 AM   #7
qwertymr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, but also regular guys like you and I, sending a pic to a random on here that agrees to take a look at it will not authenticate it anymore than the reviews of the seller that already exist.
If something feels not right, I would avoid (also wouldn't pay much attention to the "authenticity verified" on ebay). However, if the seller has loads of feedback for comparable watches and you pay by Paypal the risk may be minimal.
Agree with all that is said here.

Does $2,250 for a stainless Air King 5500 sounds scary low to you all? Nothing appears to be wrong with, few small scuffs/scratches. Just seems a bit cheaper than others I’ve been seeing for sale. This one does not come with box/papers which I’d prefer but is not an absolute must.
Old 8 July 2020, 11:36 AM   #8
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertymr View Post
Agree with all that is said here.

Does $2,250 for a stainless Air King 5500 sounds scary low to you all? Nothing appears to be wrong with, few small scuffs/scratches. Just seems a bit cheaper than others I’ve been seeing for sale. This one does not come with box/papers which I’d prefer but is not an absolute must.
Not scary low, (I paid a similar price for mine but it was 3-4 years ago) these go for relatively cheap as they are not that desirable due to the small size and age.

Had a quick look, a couple came up for the price, one in Japan (I know of that seller, they are legit but have never bought from them).

But then again, make your own decision as I am just the random person I mentioned in my original comment.

I'd probably give up on box and papers on a watch of that age, not worth the premium in my mind, but that's just me.
Old 8 July 2020, 12:13 PM   #9
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Why do you need to PM somebody it?
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:26 AM   #10
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Watch: my P&L
If you can return it, you have time to buy it, take it to a trusted jeweler/ AD for an authenticity check. Barring no damage is done while checking it, and it turns out a fake you can return it I'd presume.. that or file a claim if it's represented as authentic and it turns out not to be.
mr ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:54 AM   #11
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Fleecebay, Craigslist, etc = MINEFIELDS.

Follow the good advice members are posting here for you.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:54 AM   #12
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Just post a link or photos or the item number
Old 9 July 2020, 05:39 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertymr View Post
First time posting here and first time Rolex buyer, that being said I need some help identifying if the Rolex I’m interested in real. It’s on eBay and says authenticity verified but I still don’t trust it.... . . .

There is no "authenticity verification" authority at E-bay for watches.