The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: The Supercase was a MISTAKE!
Agree 325 32.99%
Disagree 371 37.66%
I like both 203 20.61%
Don’t know / don’t care 86 8.73%
Voters: 985. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 October 2020, 09:07 PM   #271
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Imagine being so bitter that you have to condemn everyone that has bought a sub in the last ten years, and call it a mistake, oh and falling back on it’s not me it’s what some YT video said.

You’d think that if you like the new one you’d start a thread saying how much you like the new, but on the internet these days it’s about hate and trolling.

But of course the poll didn’t go the way they had hoped

Very well said
Old 21 October 2020, 09:42 PM   #272
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
There was always a large contingent of owners who disliked the super case, and publicly said so. I bought one but couldn’t stand it, just ugly. Square, ‘blocky’ and lacking any elegance,
In the long run, it will be seen as the worst design in the entire run of submariners. Rolex won’t make that mistake again. Of course, there will always be fans, and they’re welcome to it. There’s more than enough around .
Fair and reasonable perspective — and I think it’s disappointing that another Rolex fan would inaccurately describe one as “bitter” for preferring one design over another. The praise for the new 12 has been overwhelming.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:46 PM   #273
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Very well said
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:47 PM   #274
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Are we having fun yet?

i always felt enjoying timepieces was a fun adventure. But if it's not for you, perhaps another hobby is better suited to your joyous lifestyle.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 10:02 PM   #275
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
There was always a large contingent of owners who disliked the super case, and publicly said so. I bought one but couldn’t stand it, just ugly. Square, ‘blocky’ and lacking any elegance,
In the long run, it will be seen as the worst design in the entire run of submariners. Rolex won’t make that mistake again. Of course, there will always be fans, and they’re welcome to it. There’s more than enough around .
Strange description of a very popular reference, but that’s your opinion just wondering where was all the haters before the 12 was released? As I’ve said this thread was so titled to create controversy and that has worked, it is a shame that it has produced a fair bit of vitriol, I used to come on TRF for a bit of lighthearted relief. It now seems many posters are behaving very churlish.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 10:21 PM   #276
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I don’t see this mentioned as often as it should, but I think the 116610 is very comfortable on the wrist. I have the newer reference as well and I would give a nod in terms of comfort to the 11. The 11’s narrower bracelet and especially the narrower clasp just feel better on my slightly over 7 in wrist. I also think the wider lugs give a platform on the wrist which positively impacts comfort. I agree the 12 is aesthetically more appealing, but maybe comfort wins in the end.
Old 21 October 2020, 10:35 PM   #277
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I don’t see this mentioned as often as it should, but I think the 116610 is very comfortable on the wrist. I have the newer reference as well and I would give a nod in terms of comfort to the 11. The 11’s narrower bracelet and especially the narrower clasp just feel better on my slightly over 7 in wrist. I also think the wider lugs give a platform on the wrist which positively impacts comfort. I agree the 12 is aesthetically more appealing, but maybe comfort wins in the end.
Constructive perspective and comment (and you should not be inaccurately labeled as bitter or a hater for having that opinion).
Old 21 October 2020, 11:13 PM   #278
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Icon11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
No one is arguing that the Submariner line isn't popular. Rolex sells every Air King they make too. And Pontiac sold every Aztek. That's a different discussion than evaluating/comparing the aesthetic evolution.
That’s a subjective opinion,to which you are entitled. However, the subject is if it was a mistake.

Rolex is a business and achieved 100% success in selling every single one. If no one bought one, it would be a mistake.

I’m not sure that Pontiac sold every Aztec for its original MSRP or if it had the pricing power to raise the MSRP like Rolex did with this case but if they did the Aztec wasn’t,t a mistake either just because you or I wouldn’t buy one.

Ju
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 01:53 AM   #279
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

As a "Supercase" owner, I agree.

I like the 5 digit profiles better.

Before anyone starts in with "then it's not the watch for you," please, don't. I still love the watch.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 06:37 AM   #280
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
That’s a subjective opinion,to which you are entitled. However, the subject is if it was a mistake.

Rolex is a business and achieved 100% success in selling every single one. If no one bought one, it would be a mistake.

I’m not sure that Pontiac sold every Aztec for its original MSRP or if it had the pricing power to raise the MSRP like Rolex did with this case but if they did the Aztec wasn’t,t a mistake either just because you or I wouldn’t buy one.

Ju
The application of retail price is not reliable.
If it were then most of the Rolex watches I've bought were mistakes.
And nearly all of my non Rolex watches would not be mistakes, despite the reduction of comparative resale values.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 07:17 AM   #281
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The application of retail price is not reliable.
If it were then most of the Rolex watches I've bought were mistakes.
And nearly all of my non Rolex watches would not be mistakes, despite the reduction of comparative resale values.
I’m not sure that I follow you.

However, if you kept and liked the watches, they aren’t mistakes or you.

Retail prices are essentially irrelevant; I agree with you. Rolex sells every single watch that it makes at wholesale. It is a wholesale businesss and a very, very god one. It sets the MSRP for its dealer network. When it raises the wholesale price it charges to its ADs, it sets the retail (MSRP) price that you must sell at if you want to remain an AD. Secondary market is another topic entirely.

Rolex has pricing power, and it extends to its noire line, large case watches included.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 07:27 AM   #282
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 12671
Don't care. I love what I have.
Buckaroo Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 07:41 AM   #283
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Wow, this thread still going?!
Old 22 October 2020, 04:12 PM   #284
RJM25R
"TRF" Member

Do you like steak or chicken?

Rap or Rock?

Blondes or brunettes?

Mustang or Corvette?

Football or Rugby?

Baseball or basketball?

Shoes or sneakers?

Beer or wine?

Beatles or the Stones?

Whisky or Vodka?

Shirt or TShirt?

Ferrari or Lamborghini?

Jeans or chinos?

All subjective, no wrong answers but as pointless as this poll!
RJM25R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 07:37 PM   #285
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
Do you like steak or chicken?

Rap or Rock?

Blondes or brunettes?

Mustang or Corvette?

Football or Rugby?

Baseball or basketball?

Shoes or sneakers?

Beer or wine?

Beatles or the Stones?

Whisky or Vodka?

Shirt or TShirt?

Ferrari or Lamborghini?

Jeans or chinos?

All subjective, no wrong answers but as pointless as this poll!
So good, laughing my ass off ....
Perfect conclusion: All subjective, no wrong answers but as pointless as this poll!
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 10:33 AM   #286
TTalk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Wow, this thread still going?!
Apparently so.

TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 12:33 PM   #287
Bigblu10
Banned

New Coke introduced in 1985 was indeed a mistake. One of the biggest blunders a major worldwide company has ever made. It was discontinued completely after dismal sales and the original formula was brought back into production.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 12:40 PM   #288
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTalk View Post
Apparently so.

Nathan owes you big time!
Old 24 October 2020, 12:46 PM   #289
Mikichi
"TRF" Member

I kind of prefer the Maxi case.
Mikichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 01:08 PM   #290
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
The change was enough to have some of us take sides. We should appreciate the differences. When you compare the two models, there are far more similarities. Like many have stated, you have to focus on the lugs to see the difference. Most people can’t tell the difference at a glance.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:52 AM   #291
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
They changed quite a bit actually:

Case width increase, case thickness decrease, crown guard decrease, lug width decrease, bracelet increase
REALLY?
How much?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 12:07 PM   #292
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I'm ready to see a Pontiac AZTEK / Rolex Submariner steering wheel shot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 11:51 AM   #293
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
REALLY?
How much?
Quite a bit Steve.

But no reply as yet?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 05:24 AM   #294
inglewood1026
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
On the wrist, it really doesn't seem that much bigger than a 114060 - having owned both. I prefer the muscular, tool watch look of the maxi...and the 21mm bracelet definitely seems thicker than the 20 did. If you have small wrists, then the supercase may be too large for you.
inglewood1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 02:23 AM   #295
yo_aka_tor
"TRF" Member

Every Sub is a great Sub

On 1st of September 2020 I was lucky to purchase the 116610ln from an authorised dealer. I have been on the list for a few years. It was the day the new Submariner 41 was launched. I went that morning to the local dealer in order to renew my place on the waiting list. They asked me what reference I would be interested in. I told them it doesn't matter, date, no date, new or old reference. They told me there is a 116610ln available and if I want it is mine. I was so happy, and made the purchase that day. I am thinking that I got one of the last 116610ln sold by an AD. The Submariner is an iconic model and I think it does not matter what Submariner you have. A Sub is and always will be a Sub. With every Sub one can find arguments in favour or against. For me, the maxicase is very well suited for a watch that has always been known as THE Tool Watch. A beefier case, a better constructed bracelet, a ceramic bezel that resists better to scratches and wear, all come in favour of the tool watch. The new 12 Sub is somehow dressier by a slight margin, but if you look at them side by side the differences are so subtle that it would take the untrained eye some time to spot the differences. A five digit Sub owner would also have great things to say about his reference and that is also true.
Personal taste should not be discussed in my opinion and one man's option does not hold the absolute truth. One holds neither the absolute truth nor the absolute Sub. There are no mistakes at this level, just products that appeal more or less to different customers. It is just a matter of personal taste. Let us remember the example of the famous Daytona, a watch that I desire but do not consider to be one of the most beautiful designs(on the contrary I think there are a lot of models from other manufacturers that are more beautiful designed in my opinion). The Daytona used to be back in the 70s a very unpopular model. A model that was sold with a beefy discount and still very hard to sell. Then, Paul Newman happened to the Daytona and the rest of the story you are all aware of. Nowadays we have much more "idols" and none of them at the level of a Paul Newman. As Umberto Eco very well said: “Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”
Although hard in the society we live in nowadays we must try to think with our own heads and not let us be influenced by the hypes launched in the social media.
Think my friends and enjoy your Rolex, whatever reference that might be.
yo_aka_tor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
124060 , 126610ln , 126610lv , 2020 rolex , lugs , submariner , supercase