The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 November 2018, 02:50 AM   #31
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Either a Sub or GMT would be perfect.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 03:09 AM   #32
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickF5.6 View Post

Question is, what is the best Rolex if you're just thinking about the physical appearance staying true over time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by |404| View Post
If you want a real legacy, don't buy watches.

Buy real estate, invest in business. Teach your son how finances work, teach him about investing.
Talk about crow-barring your opinion into someone else's simple question.
Old 18 November 2018, 03:56 AM   #33
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
Sibling rivalry. I would buy something of similar value because of it. An oyster perpetual 39 with a white dial for example.
For yourself an explorer 2 would make a great addition.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 04:02 AM   #34
Maiden
"TRF" Member

To answer the first part of your question, a modern six digit watch with a ceramic bezel will stand up the longest, ie look new.

In regards what to buy though, I say buy what YOU like. If the watch truly has any sentimental value, it will be because your son associates it with YOU. This means it could be a Timex or a Rolex. That will make it a true legacy piece.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:40 AM   #35
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

The Explorer would probably outlast other current counterparts. It's the least complicated of the sports watches and with a minimalist dial.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:44 AM   #36
|404|
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
I guess, but at the same time if you didn't want opinions why would you post on a public forum? Anyone can discount my opinion if they wish. I can't say I'll lose any sleep over it.

Nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b.
While you’re at it, teach them you shouldn’t form a sentence with two dependent clauses.
Awwwww that's cute.
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:36 AM   #37
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I'd take a guess that the ceramic models will not fare well. Ceramic is not a likeable material. So, a standard DJ is probably a fair bet.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:45 AM   #38
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
I guess, but at the same time if you didn't want opinions why would you post on a public forum? Anyone can discount my opinion if they wish. I can't say I'll lose any sleep over it.

Nor

Awwwww that's cute.
He was looking for opinions to his specific questions, not 404 hopping up on his soapbox to give a lecture on something completely off topic. Next time I go on a luxury car forum looking for advice on my next purchase, I'll give you a whistle so you can chime in with a 10 min synopsis on the dangers of not wearing a seat belt.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:00 AM   #39
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickF5.6 View Post

Question is, what is the best Rolex if you're just thinking about the physical appearance staying true over time? Should I stay away from sports watches with lume? Should I be looking at stainless or is precious metal better? Are certain dials better as far as cracking or fading?
My opinion is buy something without a painted dial and it will last much, much longer (nothing really to fade).

Consider something with a Rhodium dial, Champagne, Meteorite, etc. There are models that exist with no lume. Focus on those first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 209FD007-015B-4D4E-9001-F6B3B5D93DA0.jpeg (213.9 KB, 173 views)
Old 18 November 2018, 07:03 AM   #40
|404|
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
He was looking for opinions to his specific questions, not 404 hopping up on his soapbox to give a lecture on something completely off topic. Next time I go on a luxury car forum looking for advice on my next purchase, I'll give you a whistle so you can chime in with a 10 min synopsis on the dangers of not wearing a seat belt.
Quote:
some point to give to my son, and hopefully he can pass it down also. My family has never had anything that we can "pass down", so I'd like to start something here
How is it even remotely off topic? He was saying how his family had never had anything to pass down, my point was more that he shouldn't be worried about that. There are more important things than trinkets. The intangible tends to be far more important. That is completely on topic.
It might not be your opinion or your style, or the advice you would offer, but it is on topic. Who knew on a public forum, people would give advice that differs from your own? Huh crazy. I know right?

Frankly, you people that get 'offended' on behalf of other people... last time I checked, OP didn't say anything.

Furthermore, my advice actually included examples of fashion trends. Ie, 36mm once upon a time being considered the XXL size. My post was not purely investment or pushing the intangible assets ideology.
Old 18 November 2018, 07:07 AM   #41
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Quote:

Nor
Your opinion was way outside the bounds of the question. Welshwatchman didn't say he didn't want others' opinions, just that this was not the thread to voice your particular opinion.

BTW, to the OP, I have a 15 yo all black Y series GMT that I wear quite often and still looks new (see my avatar). It's never been serviced and runs great. I would recommend it if you can find one.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:17 AM   #42
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How is it even remotely off topic? He was saying how his family had never had anything to pass down, my point was more that he shouldn't be worried about that. There are more important things than trinkets. The intangible tends to be far more important. That is completely on topic.
It might not be your opinion or your style, or the advice you would offer, but it is on topic. Who knew on a public forum, people would give advice that differs from your own? Huh crazy. I know right?

Frankly, you people that get 'offended' on behalf of other people... last time I checked, OP didn't say anything.

Furthermore, my advice actually included examples of fashion trends. Ie, 36mm once upon a time being considered the XXL size. My post was not purely investment or pushing the intangible assets ideology.

Because he asked what Rolex he can pass down. He did not ask for you to stand on a soap box on a Rolex forum about the value of passing down watches. You were off topic, period. And, quite frankly, this is a fairly educated forum — no one needs a Ted talk from you about “investments.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:46 AM   #43
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
I get very depressed when I read a thread like this. I have one daughter and three grandsons; 7 yr old twins and a 13 yr old. Due to circumstances beyond my control they don't have a pot to pee in. There is a 95% chance my watches will be pawned for 10 cents on the dollar when I go regardless of how old the boys will be.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:51 AM   #44
|404|
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston77 View Post
this is a fairly educated forum — no one needs a Ted talk from you about “investments.”
On the contrary - search function - "Is it safe".
Tell me if you still believe the same.

Further, why did you put investments in speech marks? Do you think investments are make believe? Figments of imagination? Or real estate? Teaching financial literacy are poor choices of time?

As for education, financial literacy is not something people are educated on. You have to really enjoy the topic or work in the field, of which I do the latter.

How many times have you heard people suggest they have been paid to wear a watch for a number of years... because they paid $5k for it, and received $6k for it a few
years later? They have never heard of net present value (the way in which we forecast how much money today will be worth in relation to the future). They assume they've made $1k... they haven't.

People don't understand inflation, how it's even calculated. Financial literacy is poor across the globe. It's why the financial sector still exists. It's why my job exists... And I only deal with rich clients above 500k... so even in the "rich" financial knowledge is poor.

As for on topic / off topic. Well we have an impasse in opinions. So lets leave it at that as you will never convince me otherwise.
Old 18 November 2018, 07:57 AM   #45
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On the contrary - search function - "Is it safe".

Tell me if you still believe the same.

Further, why did you put investments in speech marks? Do you think investments are make believe? Figments of imagination? Or real estate? Teaching financial literacy are poor choices of time?

As for education, financial literacy is not something people are educated on. You have to really enjoy the topic or work in the field, of which I do the latter.

How many times have you heard people suggest they have been paid to wear a watch for a number of years... because they paid $5k for it, and received $6k for it a few days later? They have never heard of net present value (the way in which we forecast how much money today will be worth in relation to the future). They assume they've made $1k... they haven't.

People don't understand inflation, how it's even calculated. Financial literacy is poor across the globe. It's why the financial sector still exists. It's why my job exists... And I only deal with rich clients above 500k... so even in the "rich" financial knowledge is poor.

As for on topic / off topic. Well we have an impasse in opinions. So lets leave it at that as you will never convince me otherwise.

This post is exactly why you annoyed so many. You post obvious things on a forum full of financially savvy and successful people. The fact that you think you have some higher level of understanding because you espouse concepts contained in Freshman-level economic books is pretty funny. Question: How old are you?

Old 18 November 2018, 07:58 AM   #46
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

Buy real estate, invest in business. Teach your son how finances work, teach him about investing.

This is legacy, not lumps of metal. (this obsession with passing tangible 'luxury' items is just meh to me... tastes change. Times change. What is fashionable in watches now, in 20 years might be completely wrong, uncouth, old fashioned in the future.
Once upon a time 36mm was considered XXL of watch... now you've got 60MM watches. Do not buy into Pateks or anyone elses marketing of "You're keeping it for the next generation" - very few watches are capable of this, and the ones that are are normally very bland, very simple, timeless dress watches and even then that's not guarenteed... My Calatrava is timeless in my opinion... but will that always the case? Who knows.

Giving your son, loved ones intangible gifts like an true economical education is the only thing you should be focussed on as a father imo)
Lumps of metal can be stolen, lost and ultimately can be replaced.

Knowledge cannot.

Buy whatever you want and have it for you, equip your son with the skill set to be able to afford what he wants.
When you gift something like this to your son, they feel pressured to wear it. (they'll never tell you that) but the truth is, they will wear it because it was yours and sentimental. But do them a favour and yourself, teach them there are no sentiments in metal.
Tell them to sell it, tell them to buy something that they love as much as you loved this watch, that they will treasure and they will always have the memory of knowing you gave them the means/funds to be able to buy it.
Plus if you teach them financial responsibility and a true financial education, something they will never learn at school. They will have the freedom and luxury to buy 'trinkets' that they enjoy.
And watches are nothing but antiquated trinkets. Objectively speaking of course. Subjectively speaking... they are whatever we as a person assign to them, usually emotions.
Unless it's a Milgauss, then a legacy watch is OK.

Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 08:01 AM   #47
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
If you want a watch to last a long time looking much like the day you bought it, then I would suggest either a Platinum Daytona or Day-Date or any modern ceramic bezel steel sports Rolex. Even if they are polished in the future they will look like new.
Old 18 November 2018, 08:12 AM   #48
|404|
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston77 View Post
This post is exactly why you annoyed so many. You post obvious things on a forum full of financially savvy and successful people. The fact that you think you have some higher level of understanding because you espouse concepts contained in Freshman-level economic books is pretty funny. Question: How old are you?
Haha, if you would like I can happily give you a lecture on autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity.

But people don't understand multi-modelled mathematics, such as Fama-French, they understand simple crap like NPV / Rate of Return / Simple yields.
That's why you use them as examples, if you're not in the trade or a mathematician, you're not going to keep up. Simple sells.

As for annoyed so many, again. You're acting offended on behalf of the OP. That's what makes it so entertaining to me. You comment on age, 30, but yet you are prepared to have this argument haha.

I look at you quite incredulously, as you argue that people don't need financial advice. Yes, you're absolutely correct the entire financial sector doesn't need to exist. You are too funny.
Old 18 November 2018, 08:20 AM   #49
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha, if you would like I can happily give you a lecture on autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity.

But people don't understand multi-modelled mathematics, such as Fama-French, they understand simple crap like NPV / Rate of Return / Simple yields.
That's why you use them as examples, if you're not in the trade or a mathematician, you're not going to keep up. Simple sells.

As for annoyed so many, again. You're acting offended on behalf of the OP. That's what makes it so entertaining to me. You comment on age, 30, but yet you are prepared to have this argument haha.

I look at you quite incredulously, as you argue that people don't need financial advice. Yes, you're absolutely correct the entire financial sector doesn't need to exist. You are too funny.

30, eh? So some recent PhD grad? Perhaps an associate professor? Figures.

I’m not acting “offended” on behalf of anyone. I’m pointing out that you are lecturing people who likely have done quite well in life, better than you I would venture to guess. The public may need your sophomoric advice; this forum does not.

In celebration of your posting, I am wearing my Dad’s Rolex on my date with my wife tonight, a man who paid for my education and somehow was able to also give me a nice watch.

Old 18 November 2018, 08:32 AM   #50
TimingsEverything
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think pretty much any Rolex is going to stand up over time if you take care to maintain it. (And you should wear it, not just keep it in a safe!) There is no way to anticipate which models will be worth more relative to others but as with anything else, the more desirable and rare, the better your chances.

I have a 5513 feet first Sub from the '70s and am quite pleased to see examples advertised for around $15k-16k (I have no way of knowing if anyone is actually paying asking prices, but it's at least some measure). If memory serves, the watch was considerably less than $1k when bought new. Adjusted for inflation, that $1k back then would be around $6,500 in today's dollars, so I'd say it did well. None of us has a crystal ball, so best to buy what you like and can afford, enjoy it and just hope for the best.

Also, I would say it probably doesn't matter much whether you buy vintage or new. The latest ones have better movements, parachrom springs and ceramic bezels that will hold up much better over time. But as you can see in the market, a lot of the vintage ones held up quite nicely, despite lacking these features.
"Every Rolex is made for greatness. The GMT-Master, introduced in 1955, was developed in collaboration with Pan Am to meet the needs of their international pilots. The GMT-Master II has proven to be even more invaluable as it features a rotatable 24-hour graduated bezel that allows those who travel the world to read three different time zones." Rolex.com
TimingsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 08:40 AM   #51
Fencer
"TRF" Member

To be fair, the OP was NOT asking about the investment potential, he was rather specific in his question:

"Question is, what is the best Rolex if you're just thinking about the physical appearance staying true over time?"

Money is not everything.
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 08:51 AM   #52
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
"In celebration of your posting, I am wearing my Dad’s Rolex on my date with my wife tonight, a man who paid for my education and somehow was able to also give me a nice watch."

That sentence probably needs restructuring
Old 18 November 2018, 08:57 AM   #53
Houston77
"TRF" Member

What's the best Rolex to stand up over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
"In celebration of your posting, I am wearing my Dad’s Rolex on my date with my wife tonight, a man who paid for my education and somehow was able to also give me a nice watch."

That sentence probably needs restructuring

Or does it???...

Yes. Yes, it does.

Old 18 November 2018, 09:22 AM   #54
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This is legacy, not lumps of metal. (this obsession with passing tangible 'luxury' items is just meh to me... tastes change. Times change. What is fashionable in watches now, in 20 years might be completely wrong, uncouth, old fashioned in the future.
Once upon a time 36mm was considered XXL of watch... now you've got 60MM watches. Do not buy into Pateks or anyone elses marketing of "You're keeping it for the next generation" - very few watches are capable of this, and the ones that are are normally very bland, very simple, timeless dress watches and even then that's not guarenteed... My Calatrava is timeless in my opinion... but will that always the case? Who knows.

Giving your son, loved ones intangible gifts like an true economical education is the only thing you should be focussed on as a father imo)
Lumps of metal can be stolen, lost and ultimately can be replaced.

Knowledge cannot.

Buy whatever you want and have it for you, equip your son with the skill set to be able to afford what he wants.
When you gift something like this to your son, they feel pressured to wear it. (they'll never tell you that) but the truth is, they will wear it because it was yours and sentimental. But do them a favour and yourself, teach them there are no sentiments in metal.
Tell them to sell it, tell them to buy something that they love as much as you loved this watch, that they will treasure and they will always have the memory of knowing you gave them the means/funds to be able to buy it.
Plus if you teach them financial responsibility and a true financial education, something they will never learn at school. They will have the freedom and luxury to buy 'trinkets' that they enjoy.
And watches are nothing but antiquated trinkets. Objectively speaking of course. Subjectively speaking... they are whatever we as a person assign to them, usually emotions.
This is great advice....can you tell me how to get the son to listen and execute what he heard? Thank you
rom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 09:48 AM   #55
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
The problem here is you are trying to predict what will be fashionable in the distant future. I think a lot of folks forget that a watch is simply a fashion statement for 99% of the population. Additionally, your kids may think watches are a waste of time or a hassle to wear. I would buy what you like and if your kids happen to take a liking to watches then great, but otherwise buy what you like. I had an aunt that collected stamps for 30 years and had boxes of them. Guess, what, no one wanted them when she checked out. Nobody collects stamps anymore and we ended up using them for, wait for it.... Postage. If you are looking for something for your kid, stick the 10K into a safe investment that they can get to when they finish college. They will appreciate that far more that an old fashion watch.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 09:51 AM   #56
Drive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife has way more
First, welcome to the forum. In my opinion a Sub would be somewhat reasonable in price and would be a great watch however, who knows what will be attractive 15 years from now. It also needs to be something you would like to wear for a while. I think it needs to be something of similar value or close if you want it to be fair for them.
Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 09:52 AM   #57
Rilz
"TRF" Member

A plus vote for Sub the classic sub.
Rilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 09:58 AM   #58
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:

Don’t underestimate the people on this forum buddy. Anyone who has studied economics and finance in the past 40 years is very familiar with the Chicago school and Eugene Fama’s work. Heck it’s taught in undergrad. At least I hope so otherwise I don’t know what sort of education people are getting.

Besides I think we all know that his groundbreaking work, the EMH, has proved to been inaccurate. It overestimates humans.

In fact I routinely check this site every few months:
http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/...a_library.html

I know you weren’t replying to me but again don’t make assumptions about the members of this forum. Most here have successful careers and are not ignorant people.
Old 18 November 2018, 02:45 PM   #59
hnn17
"TRF" Member

404 not found.

A rolex watch that won't change much in the future is probably a twotone datejust with white roman dial.
hnn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 03:43 PM   #60
PatrickF5.6
"TRF" Member

Wow, thanks for all the posts and opinions. No surprise that most people think that all models will stand up nicely over time. I do believe that it will need to be something that I love to wear. And that my sons see that it brings enjoyment to me. I don't think that it has to be expensive. Just that they understand that it was meaningful to me. I first thought of Rolex because I know that it will still work in 50 years. But it could be something else. I'm going to continue to research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaci View Post
I think for a piece to have value as an heirloom it has to be thought of as a valued part of the prior generation, which to me means that it was well used and take care of.

Thanks all for posting pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Also here is my 41 year old useless lump of metal that was passed down to me from a loved family member which I wish l could sell to further my education or use the funds as an investment in real estate but l feel pressured to wear this useless trinket before someone steals it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Made me laugh.

And yes, the best thing you can give to your child is being a good parent. Each day I try to teach them a little bit of what I've learned.
PatrickF5.6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
214270 , explorer