The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2010, 10:19 PM   #1
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Watches worn in the 1972 movie The Getaway?

Last night we watched The Getaway, a 1972 film directed by Sam Peckinpah and starring Steve McQueen, Ali MacGraw.

Although McQeen gave a stelar performance, I was disappointed to see that McQeen was wearing a dress watch. And I was double disappointed that I could not tell what type.

Ali MacGraw was wearing an oversized whit dial watch but again, I could not tell what type.

I opined to my spouse that at least one of the bad guys appeared to be wearing a submariner.

My wife, who does not share my penchant for watch history, (and is also a seasoned trial lawyer and therefore knows how to kick a man when he is down) looked at me with all the sincerity and glee she could muster and said "But bad guys don't wear Rolexes, Right." I had no easy retort to this quip and am still trying to frame a response.

Anyone know what watches were worn in The Getaway?

Am I correct that at least one of the bad guys was wearing a sub?
Old 6 September 2010, 05:10 AM   #2
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
H, I don't want to hijack your thread, but since you bring up Steve Mcqueen, Rolex and movies, this is one that has bugged me for years... I have got to find out the answer.

The movie "Towering Inferno" 1974. I remember it very clearly from seeing it in the movie theater, ( I was... well, almost a teenager). Anyway, my love for watches had already started, specifically chronographs. I remember Paul Newman wearing one throughout the movie and it was instrumental in the final scenes. He and Steve Mcqueen, (the fire chief), were on the rooftop of the building about to blow up the water storage tanks to douse the building and put out the fire. Steve set the timer and Paul Newman started his chronograph watch to time how long they had to get to safety, (it was 5 minutes). As they are making their escape Steve asks Paul a couple times how much time they had left, and of course, they made it to safety from the explosion, doused the fire, saved humanity and I think discovered a cure for cancer at the same time. Anyway....

I have really really wondered for several years now was that a Daytona Paul Newman used in those scenes? I am going to rent the movie I think to see if I can find out, but movies like yours and this one sure bring up interesting questions about Rolex and cinema, anyone have any info?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2010, 06:37 AM   #3
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Don't know Paul but I am curious also now. Newman and McQueen, what a combo.
Old 9 September 2010, 03:12 AM   #4
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

I know this is OT but Sam Peckinpah is a genius - I watched The Wild Bunch last weekend and its an all time classic.

McQueen in Bullitt is rather useful too.
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 03:33 AM   #5
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
H, I don't want to hijack your thread, but since you bring up Steve Mcqueen, Rolex and movies, this is one that has bugged me for years... I have got to find out the answer.

The movie "Towering Inferno" 1974. I remember it very clearly from seeing it in the movie theater, ( I was... well, almost a teenager). Anyway, my love for watches had already started, specifically chronographs. I remember Paul Newman wearing one throughout the movie and it was instrumental in the final scenes. He and Steve Mcqueen, (the fire chief), were on the rooftop of the building about to blow up the water storage tanks to douse the building and put out the fire. Steve set the timer and Paul Newman started his chronograph watch to time how long they had to get to safety, (it was 5 minutes). As they are making their escape Steve asks Paul a couple times how much time they had left, and of course, they made it to safety from the explosion, doused the fire, saved humanity and I think discovered a cure for cancer at the same time. Anyway....

I have really really wondered for several years now was that a Daytona Paul Newman used in those scenes? I am going to rent the movie I think to see if I can find out, but movies like yours and this one sure bring up interesting questions about Rolex and cinema, anyone have any info?
I posted this some time ago Paul, I love that movie and couldn't stop staring at Newman's Rolex...

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=134558

Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 09:28 AM   #6
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Old thread, but I watched this movie yesterday. I believe Ali McGraw is wearing a Patek Philippe 570G.

Tags
actor , mcqueen , movie , movies , vintage