The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 January 2017, 09:18 AM   #61
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Holy crap..
Some day we will talk about brown inserts on other than gold models..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 09:38 AM   #62
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Holy crap..
Some day we will talk about brown inserts on other than gold models..
Yep, if/when brown inserts alone start trading hands for five figures, I am sure we will...
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:01 AM   #63
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Yep, if/when brown inserts alone start trading hands for five figures, I am sure we will...
Yeah but on which model, GMT Gilt or... because if it didn't come on those, they should not be fitted on them unless it is disclosed to the buyer or it has an RSC certificate that it came like that from the factory.. That would be a franken watch.. LOL
Old 1 January 2017, 10:24 AM   #64
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
It's a catch 22....from the sellers end...how would you guarantee 100% original? Parts get swapped/come and go and with Rolex vintage scene's blurry facts...there is no guarantee....just simple supply and demand. It's no secret a good bulk of vintage dealers hype the scene with new nicknames etc...simply marketing imo.
Well...with all this talk about blueberrys, at least we won't be talkig about any of that date wheel minusea for a while.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:32 AM   #65
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Pooberry GMTs?
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:38 AM   #66
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Well...with all this talk about blueberrys, at least we won't be talkig about any of that date wheel minusea for a while.
Those are the little details, not five figures..
Old 1 January 2017, 10:54 AM   #67
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Amen. Thanks for setting me straight on that as well lol.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 11:59 AM   #68
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Well here is one of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1541.jpg (95.9 KB, 588 views)

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 08:45 PM   #69
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

The best bit about this hobby is all the conjecture. The only 100% conclusive proof would be an official image from Rolex used for advertising, a statement from their archive or a proven single-owner piece with photos wearing the piece. Anyway I'm enjoying the read.
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:27 PM   #70
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Many rumours about these.. I am certain that the inserts are added for the premium models such as UAE, PAF and radial red hands. No doubt they are mostly added to valuable, mint watches. Sometimes for business and sometimes by collectors just wanting something special. How these actually came to market I don't know but I do know these are found in large quantities. I recall seeing pictures of literally hundreds of these NOS inserts. Story I was told was that they originated and still could be made in Italy by the same factory that supplied them to Rolex to begin with. If true I have no idea but they aren't that rare.

They look good and they are pretty cool. I do however doubt the rarity and when these were actually manufactured.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 01:18 AM   #71
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Well here is one of mine.
Lee, that's a nice one but I think that one came originally with a Blueberry..
Old 2 January 2017, 01:27 AM   #72
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Many rumours about these.. I am certain that the inserts are added for the premium models such as UAE, PAF and radial red hands. No doubt they are mostly added to valuable, mint watches. Sometimes for business and sometimes by collectors just wanting something special. How these actually came to market I don't know but I do know these are found in large quantities. I recall seeing pictures of literally hundreds of these NOS inserts. Story I was told was that they originated and still could be made in Italy by the same factory that supplied them to Rolex to begin with. If true I have no idea but they aren't that rare.

They look good and they are pretty cool. I do however doubt the rarity and when these were actually manufactured.
where is PADI...Blueberry GMT for 30K...the ultimate hype...
Old 2 January 2017, 01:57 AM   #73
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Lee, that's a nice one but I think that one came originally with a Blueberry..

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 03:03 AM   #74
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
where is PADI...Blueberry GMT for 30K...the ultimate hype...
"so called Blueberry"
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 06:54 AM   #75
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Pooberry GMTs?
Ha!
Old 2 January 2017, 08:13 AM   #76
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
This is quite an interesting thread, and it seems the "Blueberry" is a great example of a sellers market that has gone too far.
I really enjoy learning, reading about, and sometimes purchasing old watches. This Blueberry thing is very similar to the sports memorabilia market. There are just certain things that the collecting public wants to believe are real.
The fact that these are just a collection of authentic parts is fine, but the sales prices would suggest that people feel they are buying something that they aren't, and that's a shame.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 08:26 AM   #77
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Many rumours about these.. I am certain that the inserts are added for the premium models such as UAE, PAF and radial red hands.
Certain, as in, you have first-hand knowledge? You know for a fact that the UAE and/or PAF models were never spec'd/ordered as such (not being argumentative, just genuinely curious)?
If not, there has to be someone out there that knows the real deal/history on these (not just the rumors). I totally agree that most of the "Blueberry" watches out there are likely just bezel-swaps.

However, as I mentioned above: If we are to accept that genuine/factory Rolex blue bezels exist, then I think we can safely assume that there are 1675s out there that left the factory with blue bezels as original equipment.
Again, I can't think of any other genuine Rolex (watch) part that has been offered solely as an after-sale item.
Old 2 January 2017, 08:37 AM   #78
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Certain, as in, you have first-hand knowledge? You know for a fact that the UAE and/or PAF models were never spec'd/ordered as such (not being argumentative, just genuinely curious)?
If not, there has to be someone out there that knows the real deal/history on these (not just the rumors). I totally agree that most of the "Blueberry" watches out there are likely just bezel-swaps.

However, as I mentioned above: If we are to accept that genuine/factory Rolex blue bezels exist, then I think we can safely assume that there are 1675s out there that left the factory with blue bezels as original equipment.
Again, I can't think of any other genuine Rolex (watch) part that has been offered solely as an after-sale item.
In answer to your highlighted comment above, I can name one part...T-38 crystals!!! I'm sure there were other parts offered after the sale or through the service centers. Happy New Year.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 2 January 2017, 09:20 AM   #79
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In answer to your highlighted comment above, I can name one part...T-38 crystals!!! I'm sure there were other parts offered after the sale or through the service centers. Happy New Year.
AFAIK, the T-38 was offered as a factory option on new watches, at least for a short time.

Happy New Year to you as well!
Old 2 January 2017, 09:38 AM   #80
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Partner.. This is going no where..
As the saying goes... You can walk a horse to the water...
Old 2 January 2017, 09:55 AM   #81
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
AFAIK, the T-38 was offered as a factory option on new watches, at least for a short time.

Happy New Year to you as well!
T-38 is an OPTION yes, but not original equipment. That's what my point was.. . it was after the sale.

Here is a thread with photos from the Rolex R 20 crystal catalog indicating the T-38 is a replacement crystal for the Cyclope 116 - check the last page specifically. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=487453

Old 2 January 2017, 09:56 AM   #82
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Partner.. This is going no where..
As the saying goes... You can walk a horse to the water...
I know Norm. I'm done with this.

Old 2 January 2017, 10:01 AM   #83
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:

Sure. I have seen for what I would guess untouched UAE and PAF watches with time correct pepsi bezels. Of course I can't say so for certain and I would be very interested to hear from original owners of these to know for sure. Thanks for correcting me.

As these inserts have been priced very high for many, many years my gut tells me that they end up on premium pieces rather than normal models. It's fascinating to see all the radial, red hand, all blue bezeled 1675's today knowing the demand which have been for these items. You see more of the part swapping madness if you look at let's say special order Daytonas. Pretty much every PAF 6263 on the market is tropical.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 11:44 AM   #84
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
T-38 is an OPTION yes, but not original equipment. That's what my point was.. . it was after the sale.
Interesting. I've heard from folks that were original owners that they were options at the time of purchase (along with different bracelet options, etc.).
Obviously it didn't apply to buying an in-stock display piece. So, if it was only something that was available/mentioned for ordered pieces, it may explain the lack of prevalence and/or knowledge of their existence as an original-equipment option.

I have no dog in this fight either way...just curious/interested in hard data over rumor/conjecture.
Old 2 January 2017, 12:02 PM   #85
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure. I have seen for what I would guess untouched UAE and PAF watches with time correct pepsi bezels. Of course I can't say so for certain and I would be very interested to hear from original owners of these to know for sure. Thanks for correcting me.
Same here. I have seen examples of UAE/Saudi/PAF 1675s with both Pepsi and the all blue inserts. All of which where represented as untouched/original.

So, it was my understanding that the blue inserts were offered to those entities at some point, but it wasn't the only option/configuration during the entire span of production for said entities.
Of course, that is just a big assumption on my part, and you know what they say about those...
Old 4 February 2017, 01:07 AM   #86
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Interesting thread. There is a 'Blueberry' insert in the for sale section right now for nearly $11,000! That seems crazy if the Blueberry was not an original creation......?
Number3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 01:34 AM   #87
jdog111578
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 7016, 94010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Interesting thread. There is a 'Blueberry' insert in the for sale section right now for nearly $11,000! That seems crazy if the Blueberry was not an original creation......?
The way I look at is this. Ive never seen proof that they left the factory with said insert. That being said, I think of it as a service replacement bezel that clearly was offered by Rolex, that is not as common as the pepsi etc, and can call for such a premium. Whether or not this "premium" is worth the extra $, thats up to the fool and his/her money.
jdog111578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 03:04 AM   #88
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Just to add to the feeding frenzy, here are 2 photos I found on the internet a couple of years ago...

Obviously, the comments about these inserts being "hoarded" were spot-on...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex GMT Blueberry Inserts 2.0.jpg (162.1 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex GMT Blueberry Inserts 1.0.jpg (141.9 KB, 392 views)
Old 5 February 2017, 09:56 AM   #89
Nikita70
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760
I'd like to have one for my 16760. I know the older GMTs take a different size. Does anyone know if they made them for it?
Nikita70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 04:13 PM   #90
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita70 View Post
I'd like to have one for my 16760. I know the older GMTs take a different size. Does anyone know if they made them for it?
No..not for the sapphire models.

Tags
1675 , blueberry , gmt