The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 August 2017, 03:15 PM   #1
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Need help choosing the Last Rolex

I have been alternating between my DJ And BLNR and so far love the combination of dress and sport. However, I am realizing that neither make a good daily watch (for me) and I am looking to add a third and last piece to my collection to be worn everyday.

Until this time, I was sure that watch was going to be the Sub C 114060. It checks off every box I look for in a daily: brushed bracelet (w/ glide lock), versatile (color), and hell, it's a Sub and I want a Sub in my collection. The only issue I have with it is that it looks too similar to my BLNR. I know they are very different, but both have the black maxi dial and have more similarities than differences. I think perhaps I want something with a different color dial, or something that looks completely different than the Sub/GMT, but I always come up empty in my search.

Before you say the LVc, yes, I have considered it, but just don't think the green will be something I can wear every day. I have considered the explorer 1 & 2 but not a huge fan of neither of them, especially when the ND can be had for a little bit more. I may just go ahead and get the ND since there doesn't seem to be a better candidate out there. (Only if Rolex made a SS Blue Sub!! ) To those of you that own both the Black Sub and BLNR, can they both co-exist in your collection? Or is there something out there that I might be forgetting about?
Old 24 August 2017, 03:19 PM   #2
rdc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
An OP 39MM....cheaper and good for rugged everyday use...
Old 24 August 2017, 03:28 PM   #3
rolex aficionado
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16018-16610-116520
believe me it wont be the last!
Sub is the way to go...good luck!
rolex aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 03:46 PM   #4
wilfreb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
I have been alternating between my DJ And BLNR and so far love the combination of dress and sport. However, I am realizing that neither make a good daily watch (for me) and I am looking to add a third and last piece to my collection to be worn everyday.

Until this time, I was sure that watch was going to be the Sub C 114060. It checks off every box I look for in a daily: brushed bracelet (w/ glide lock), versatile (color), and hell, it's a Sub and I want a Sub in my collection. The only issue I have with it is that it looks too similar to my BLNR. I know they are very different, but both have the black maxi dial and have more similarities than differences. I think perhaps I want something with a different color dial, or something that looks completely different than the Sub/GMT, but I always come up empty in my search.

Before you say the LVc, yes, I have considered it, but just don't think the green will be something I can wear every day. I have considered the explorer 1 & 2 but not a huge fan of neither of them, especially when the ND can be had for a little bit more. I may just go ahead and get the ND since there doesn't seem to be a better candidate out there. (Only if Rolex made a SS Blue Sub!! ) To those of you that own both the Black Sub and BLNR, can they both co-exist in your collection? Or is there something out there that I might be forgetting about?
A blue SS sub would be killer

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
wilfreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
From what you've said, the Sub LVc is the obvious choice. However, if you can't live with the green every day, then consider the blue dial YM. It's a Sub in a short skirt and high heels but without the Glidelock.

I have an LVc and could quite easily live with it as a one and only, if I had to. I'd also give it a bit more consideration before finally pulling the trigger.

Good luck.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 04:12 PM   #6
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

Tudor Pelagos

mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 04:30 PM   #7
sager
"TRF" Member

Sub would be great for you.
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 04:38 PM   #8
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

I vote LVc for a change of pace and the green could be a welcome addition to the BLNR and your DJ. Not much else I can think of with brushed bracelets (YM and Daytona would be out). Otherwise, I'd actually go for the Exp 1, I personally think it's a great daily watch. Very under the radar, easy to read, classic design.
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 04:43 PM   #9
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
How about a sea dweller?
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 05:04 PM   #10
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Still can't think of anything that fits the bill better than the ND Sub for a daily. The closest runner up was the Explorer 1 with the 3-6-9 lume but I will have to try it on before making a decision. From pictures it doesn't even compare to the Sub but maybe it will sing to me in person.

YM1 and anything with PCL I am avoiding at the moment since I already have BLNR and spare PCL bracelet for my DJ. I actually had the SD briefly but flipped it because I did not like it. I will give the LVc another thought.
Old 24 August 2017, 05:45 PM   #11
rph08
"TRF" Member

How about the Submariner 14060?

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 05:47 PM   #12
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I have both a subC date and BLNR. For me they feel like two different watches. The BLNR wears more dressy and the subC is perfect for daily. Sounds like you already made up your mind.
Old 24 August 2017, 05:48 PM   #13
tig00s1783
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710BLNR
Sub no date can't go wrong and they are diff watches.
tig00s1783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 05:54 PM   #14
Benjo74
"TRF" Member

Need help choosing the Last Rolex

I think the BLNR and 114060 are different enough. Yes, to a non-watch person they look similar but the clasp, brushed bracelet, clean dial and less cluttered bezel make the 114060 a perfect daily wearer. In fact, this could suit most people as a one and only watch (as long as they stop visiting TRF and succumbing to temptation).

The BLNR on the other hand has a subtly more refined case (IMO, or perhaps that is down to the flatter case back), the polished links make it more dressy / formal (looks great with a suit), the added complications of date and GMT are both very useful (for me, anyway) and make for a more interesting piece, and the touch of blue adds another level of interest / variety.

I really think that BLNR and 114060 would be a great pair to own.

That said, I think this (below) is certainly worth considering given your thoughts about adding a blue dial. Yes it's not strictly a Rolex, but it is a great looking and high quality watch with Rolex DNA. However, it wears a bit too big for me so it wouldn't be in my collection, but you should try one on before ruling it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mementomori1983 View Post
Tudor Pelagos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benjo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 06:00 PM   #15
kopykopy
"TRF" Member

get a 5 digit Sub or 5 digit Sub Date. very different watches to your BLNR
kopykopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 06:01 PM   #16
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Why don't you be a dare devil, and go with the 116900 Air King? It's got a different look, and imho, would be a great addition to any collection great or small.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 07:31 PM   #17
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I think the Sub and BLNR can easily exist in the same collection. That said the Explorer I is a great choice on its own, not just because it looks different than a watch you already have. I understand your concern and suggest starting with the Sub as if it doesn't work you'll be able to flip it for an Explorer and probably pocket cash. You'd be adding cash the other way around. Have you considered a lightly used 5-digit Sub?
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 07:46 PM   #18
corn18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopykopy View Post
get a 5 digit Sub or 5 digit Sub Date. very different watches to your BLNR
This. The BLNR and 5 digit sub are completely different. I have both and the 5 digit sub is a great daily with the caveat that I have mine on a glidelock bracelet.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 07:46 PM   #19
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Considering your current watches and specifications, .............. OP.
Old 24 August 2017, 07:54 PM   #20
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
From what you've said, the Sub LVc is the obvious choice.

* I have an LVc and could quite easily live with it as a one and only, if I had to. I'd also wouldn't waist another minute before finally pulling the trigger.

Good luck.
Plus one

*EDITED

Hoping chopped liver is up and about now !
Old 24 August 2017, 08:08 PM   #21
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
SubC or new SD would be well worth considering!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 09:07 PM   #22
Pacheco
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40,DJ41,YM Blue
I don't worry about the PCLs anymore. These time pieces are made to be worn. Closest thing to a "blue sub" in the Rolex lineup and it's versatile, comfortable, and perty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0170.JPG (78.8 KB, 244 views)
Old 24 August 2017, 09:09 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
What's a last Rolex?

Now go and buy that Sub
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 09:37 PM   #24
meganfox17
Banned

Pretty soon, someOne's gonna put up a thread on his penultimate Rolex....
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 09:39 PM   #25
Roley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Think of the function of the watch, not the look. Land, sea, and air.
You wil never go wrong with an 114060.
Roley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:02 PM   #26
archangelfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
I'm going to have to say Daytona to round off your collection. As you rightly pointed out, the 114060 is pretty similar to the GMT. The Daytona will give you the sportiness of the BLNR and the comfort of the Datejust.

But we all know the waiting time for the ceramic Daytona!
archangelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:24 PM   #27
slide13
"TRF" Member

You already know the Sub is the right answer for a daily, you said it yourself basically.

The problem isn't with the Sub, the problem is with the BLNR. If you think they're too similar and the BLNR isn't a daily wear for you, then maybe that one needs to go to make room for something different and unique with a colored dial. That makes more sense to me then trying to deviate from what you already know will be the ideal daily wear for you.

That being said, why don't you wear the BLNR daily? If it's so similar to the Sub that you feel you can't have both, why isn't it daily wear appropriate? Bezel color? PCLs?

Buy the Sub, when you have it and the BLNR then consider if they work together or if the BLNR should go for something else.
slide13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:39 PM   #28
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
As far as form there's not much difference between the BLNR and the 114060. Is it just the lack of pcls that you like better on the Sub? Otherwise if the BLNR isn't a good daily then neither will be the sub, imho. I'd definitely try on the sub prior to buying. Are the PCLs on the DJ an issue or does it have a jubilee bracelet? It would be good to have a shot of your DJ so we know what you already have. The DJ isn't really a dress watch imho although it can be a bit more sparkly than the BLNR. The ceramic bezels really do shine and make the Rolex's very apparent on the wrist. The Sub will be no different in that respect.

Tell us what is missing in the two that you already own so the problem can be better answered. If the answer is that neither are a sub then this is likely just an excuse to buy the Sub and you know the answer already.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:43 PM   #29
kopykopy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
This. The BLNR and 5 digit sub are completely different. I have both and the 5 digit sub is a great daily with the caveat that I have mine on a glidelock bracelet.
would you mind sharing how to fit a glidelock onto a 5 digit Sub? I don't mind the pre ceramic bracelets but i do mind that it doesn't fit my small 6.5 inch wrist as well compared to using a glidelock on my ceramic Sub.
kopykopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 12:58 AM   #30
evergreenwithenvy
"TRF" Member

Grab the 114060 and then decide a little down the road if you need the BLNR anymore. Or something to that effect. The 114060 is such a great simple watch and I have a hard time imagining ever letting go of mine.

A few people have mentioned an older ND sub (and I personally think ND subs are the only way to go). If this is appealing at all go on the hunt for a 5513 which you can find at good prices still. With an early dial (mk1 or mk2) that has the painted indexes that aren't surrounded by a ring (bicchierini). I prefer the non-bicchierini + matte dials and hope to find one some day.

Of course vintage hunting is its own rabbit hole and the newer ceramic models are just fantastic watches.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
evergreenwithenvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
114060 , 116710blnr